Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? (3303 Views)

Pastors & Imams Come To Consult Ifa – Ifayemi Elebuibon / An Atheist View On "God's Plan" / Do I Have To Go Along With God's Plan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by VeriLee: 4:47pm On Dec 20, 2009
I need some help and advice from you all, if you don't mind. I don't seem to be able to realise what God has planned for me and it has just occurred to me that it could be because I don't know whether God has such a plan for me, or if He has, what the content of the plan is. So I how do I come to know:

1) If God has a plan for my life?

2) What is the content of the plan, if one exists?

I would be very grateful if people who have realised their personal God-given plan could advise me.

Thanks
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 20, 2009
Consecrate urself,pray for Gods vision&then may be in ur dream God can reveal to u
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 20, 2009
what's[b] your[/b] plan for your life?

what you need to do is figure out if its in line with God's word, imo.

not set in stone though.

Unless you're one of those people who prefer to have someone else guide them. Nothing wrong with that if its your style. Who am I to judge except if it gets extreme.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by VeriLee: 7:07pm On Dec 20, 2009
tpia.:

what's[b] your[/b] plan for your life?

what you need to do is figure out if its in line with God's word, imo.

not set in stone though.

Unless you're one of those people who prefer to have someone else guide them. Nothing wrong with that if its your style. Who am I to judge except if it gets extreme.

So, is my plan for my life the same as God's plan for my life if it is in line with God's word?
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by Image123(m): 10:47pm On Dec 20, 2009
One of God's plans for you is that you proper and be in health even as your soul prospers(3John 2). So first thing you need to be sure of is if your soul is prospering. Have you gained your soul/ possessed your soul. In other words, is your life safe in God's hands or still in your hands, or someone elses' perhaps devil.
If your soul is prospering, then you're good for step number 2.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by kcjazz(m): 11:44pm On Dec 20, 2009
Sincere prayer is needed
Read the bible
Study other Christian literature like "The Purpose Driven Life" Rick Warren, "Experiencing God" Henry Blackaby, any book on spiritual gifts etc

Take it easy, its a journey as you grow it becomes clearer. What is important is that you take the first step.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by Nobody: 2:55am On Dec 21, 2009
VeriLee:

So, is my plan for my life the same as God's plan for my life if it is in line with God's word?

well, your first step of course is to pray

However, your questions are very general and you also said you dont know[b] if[/b] God has a plan for you.

VeriLee:

I need some help and advice from you all, if you don't mind. I don't seem to be able to realise what God has planned for me and it has just occurred to me that it could be because I don't know whether God has such a plan for me, or if He has, what the content of the plan is. So I how do I come to know:

1) If God has a plan for my life?

2) What is the content of the plan, if one exists?

I would be very grateful if people who have realised their personal God-given plan could advise me.

Thanks

are you having some ideas but you dont know if its your plan or God's?

Or you just want directions on what steps to take next?
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by VeriLee: 10:40am On Dec 21, 2009
tpia.:

well, your first step of course is to pray

However, your questions are very general and you also said you dont know[b] if[/b] God has a plan for you.

are you having some ideas but you dont know if its your plan or God's?

Or you just want directions on what steps to take next?

Hello,

Basically,  I am just trying to understand whether the plans I make for myself are the same as God's plan, as I do not wish to be led astray. I am at several crossroads in my life right now and the decisions I will or will not make in the next few months will determines the course of the rest of my life. So I want to make sure that these decisions are consistent with what God has planned for me.  These are very important decisions, such as;

1)  The decision about who to marry.  I am very friendly with three good God-fearing Christian ladies, each of whom, I think would make a very good wife.  I have known these ladies for different length of time. The one that I have known the least lives abroad and if we were to get married, this would entail a relocation on my part as she is in a stable and well-paid career. The one I have known the longest is a friend from childhood and is someone who has had a "rough" past, but has now given her life to God and appears to be making progress in many areas of life. The other one is a very intelligent and "spiritual", and philosophical person with the sort of mind that wants to investigate everything. Although she says she is God-fearing because she was raised in a Christian home, she also says she is open to looking into other religions and ideas.

This is my very brief characterisation of the ladies although I am sure there is more to them than I have seen so far. These ladies have different levels of physical attractiveness, although I am not sure whether I should take this into account.  In fact, this is one of the dilemmas I would like to have some guidance from god about.  In my eyes, the lady abroad is the least physically attractive to me, while the childhood friend is the most.

So, my dilemma is  - Who has God planned for me?  Could it be one of these ladies or is it someone else?

2)  Career and Business.  This concerns whether to stay in my current career or to go abroad for some further studies which will cost quite a lot of money and disrupt my plans for marrying as I have explained above. However, the potential benefits of pursuing the line of studies are enormous and it would be something I could regret not doing in the future.

These appear to be main issues in my life right now and as they are very important issues I want to make sure I do not make a decision that is not God-guided. Basically, I do not want to make a decision from my HEAD but from the "HEAD of God", if there is such a thing.  If I do make a decision, how can I be sure that it is the decision that God has planned for me?
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by kcjazz(m): 7:31pm On Dec 21, 2009
For marriage- What is your heart telling you to do? I suppose you have prayed; it depends what you want out of your life. However marriage is an important step in life, you want to be with someone who will be sharing your vision as well as you sharing theirs and making it to happen. So who among this three shares your vision. I doubt they all do, so pray and make your decisions based on that.

Career, the same principle applies whats more important, do not be pressured to get married if you are not ready. If you have the money and you believe this training ties into your future then pray and make the decision.

I wish I could give you a formula, but none to give. Just talk to God about it, lay out your fears and make a decision. Some decisions might seem like a mistake today but they turn out well in the future and vis versa. Remember David's adultery and Jesus lineage.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by CrudeOil2(m): 7:47pm On Dec 21, 2009
Oboy plan your own life. Don't wait for god to plan anything for you. That is the beginning of your failure.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by VeriLee: 8:18pm On Dec 21, 2009
kcjazz:

For marriage- What is your heart telling you to do? I suppose you have prayed; it depends what you want out of your life. However marriage is an important step in life, you want to be with someone who will be sharing your vision as well as you sharing theirs and making it to happen. So who among this three shares your vision. I doubt they all do, so pray and make your decisions based on that.

Career, the same principle applies whats more important, do not be pressured to get married if you are not ready. If you have the money and you believe this training ties into your future then pray and make the decision.

I wish I could give you a formula, but none to give. Just talk to God about it, lay out your fears and make a decision. Some decisions might seem like a mistake today but they turn out well in the future and vis versa. Remember David's adultery and Jesus lineage.

Kcjazz,

Many thanks for your most helpful advice.  I wish it was that easy.  Yes, I have prayed and prayed and prayed, for many months now, but I seem to be getting no nearer a decision.  The problem is that each one of these ladies has good qualities that I admired and want.  If only I could squeeze them all into one person, that would make my ideal lady.

I get the impression that my family would prefer the lady abroad as she is from a wealthy and respectable Christian family and is in a stable and respectable career herself. But my heart tells me that she is the one I am least attracted to.  I am most physically attracted to my childhood friend, but her "rough" past makes her look bad in the eyes of my family.  She is a very strong spiritual and God-fearing Christian now, but her prospects in terms of career is rather limited.  My philosophical friend is the most intelligent of them all and has very good prospect careerwise. She is the sort of person who would be successful at almost anything she does. My doubt about her is that she is the most likely to change into another religion, although she says that is unlikely to happen.

Apart from my faith, my family and career are very very important to me, and that is why I find making the decision by myself so difficult. I sometimes wonder whether I have over-analyse the options to the point where I have driven out that spontaneous love. But I am the sort of person who analyses all major decisions in my life. That is why I think I really need to hear from God now.  I am sure that whoever God chooses for me would be the right person, But if I make the decision by myself I am 100% that I am going to have regrets in the future.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by huxley(m): 11:40pm On Dec 21, 2009
Hey, verily, verily I say onto you, VeriLee,

Quit relying on god. God has never and will never guide you in deciding such matters because he does not exist. Let me give you some figures - evangelical Christians have some of the highest divorce rates in America (Christians about 30%, Atheist about 20%). These are people who made their vows and dedicated it to God. Yet a great number of them still break up. Could it be that God chose the wrong partner for them?

Or could it be that they have subverted a very good plan that God had put in place for them? If this is the case, how come mere humans have the ability to change and derail God's plan?

So my advise to you is this - quit depending on God and try and investigates these lady friends of yours further. If I was you, I would take is serious with the philosophical lady as she seems the best one to reason things out unlike the other faithheads. I would also make sure we have sexual relations first before it ever gets anywhere close to marriage.

Now you know - don't say I did not warn you.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by Tudor6(f): 10:25am On Dec 22, 2009
Plan your life according to God's word?

That won't help you because the bible is so vague and contradictory that Everybody from a serial killer, rapist to a bishop can justify their chosen field with the scriptures.

Your main concern in making life changing decisions should be you i.e what you want. You are the one going to live the life not someonelse.

Christianity teaches that you have been given free-will, what is the essence of free-will if you aren't allowed to make your own decisions.

Remember ALL things worketh together to those who love the lord. You have the fear of god, make sure your decisions don't break the law or contradict your principles then things will surely come together for you. . .isn't this what god says?
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by AKO1(m): 6:03pm On Dec 22, 2009
Whatever you do, don't make any decisions against your conscience. I subscribe to the view that God will make all things work for your good if you do all things out of integrity.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by VeriLee: 8:59pm On Dec 22, 2009
A_K_O:

Whatever you do, don't make any decisions against your conscience. I subscribe to the view that God will make all things work for your good if you do all things out of integrity.

Thanks for your kind suggestions. Many folks at my church and community belief that God has worked out a predetermined path or plan for everyone and all we need to is be in communion with Him for Him to reveal it. I have had many people recount to me how they got on their life's plan by "discussing" with God, who revealed it to them. But the one thing common with all their stories was that they did not seem to have many alternative options, and they just seemed to have taken the one available and in the end it turned out OK-ish.

In my case, I seem to be sitting on the horns of a multilemma, with no finality in the decision anywhere close. I am now beginning to wonder whether God has a plan for me, and/or whether he is listening to my prayers.

Is God waiting for me to make a decision and then he is going to jump behind me and support me, if I continue to believe in Him?
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by JeSoul(f): 9:20pm On Dec 22, 2009
Verilee,
I wasn't going to post this initially, but I feel urged to do so. Here's an article on the very subject that I posted on NL on a similar thread a while back. I hope you take something away from it. Godbless!

What if God does NOT have a plan for your life?

I love eureka moments.

And I have been having a eureka moment this entire month.

If you're anything like me, then you've wondered and pondered, sometimes struggled and wrestled with what "God's will is for your life". Many christians are living in a state of limbo, walking around under a self-induced spell that God will someday show up in grand fashion, whisk them away from their current 'secular' predicament otherwise known as a job, and bring to pass His great and awesome "will" for their lives.

However, I have come to the realization that God's will is not some far off event in the future, not some soon-to-be occurrence, not some great or small thing that I will be assigned to do, not a position or an allocation of work or job, but that God's will is right here, right now, and that will is for me - and you- to live lives that glorify His name. God's will for us is to obey, love and serve Him. Could it really be this simple? I also realized that I had been trusting more in my ability to be spiritual enough to hear God, than in God's ability to lead me.

-Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will"

-Colossians 4:12 "Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured"

-1 Thessalonians 4:3 "It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality"

-1 Thessalonians 5:18 "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

-1 Peter 2:15 "For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men"

In all the above, God's will is a very present event, but even more importantly, this big word called "God's will" is already known!. It is not something that is being furiously searched out, it is already recognized, or in the process of being "tested and approved". When we hear the word's "God's will" today we think of this grand thing God has planned for us to be or do. . . what if God just wants you to live a quiet, and relatively uneventful life? Only significantly impacting a small group of people around you? What if God does not have as grand a plan as you think all mapped out for you in the future? What if God does not have anything more than what you are (in a worldly sense) and where you are right now planned out in your future? what if where you are is where He wants you to be? what if this is really it? For you to be simple and unknown, unaccomplished by worldly standards, quietly serving and worshipping Him?

This is not to say God's plans for us are not good, but oftentimes our definition of "good" is not the same as God's definition. Remember, as high as the heavens are above the earth, so far are our thoughts from His. What if He just wants a simple, plain, regular joes life for you? what if? What if His plan for you is to suffer for His name and His glory? not doing anything great or wonderful ever in your life? what if your dreams and goals are not what He wants? what if your vision and aspirations are not part of His plan? What if you're not destined for "greatness"? what if? The bible teaches us we're not promised tomorrow, it teaches us not to fret or worry about tomorrow. So how did we get to this place where we're looking into a spiritual crystal ball, in a futile attempt to "discover" God's future "plans" for us? And you know what the plain truth is, we spend so much time and energy trying to figure out "what God's will is", instead of just trusting God to lead us into His will as we serve Him today. You see the difference?

The first part places the emphasis on us, on how deeply spiritual we are that we can hear God's voice, that we can attain some level of holiness that God's will will then suddenly become apparent in some kind of vision or revelation. The latter part places the emphasis on God, and how faithful He is in answering a genuine prayer seeking His direction. And as He directs and leads, we become aware He has led, and that we are already in His will and His name is glorified in that. Here the glory goes to God- alone, whereas in the former the glory goes to us, to how "spiritual" we are. Now please don't get me wrong, there's nuthin wrong with having goals and things you'd like to accomplish, there's nuthin wrong with wanting to live and walk the path God has for you, but we must keep things in perspective. As we're setting the dreams and goals, how much of it is God-centered? And how much of it is you-centered? How much of your dreams seek to glorify God vs. glorifying you? And you may very well have noble intentions with your dreams, to win souls and share Christ, but it doesn't always necessarily mean they are God's intentions for you. So let us not cajole ourselves into believing that just cos we have good motives it justifies the dream. David had good intentions to build a temple for God, but God did not want him to. And if David had persisted in that dream, it would have been an act of disobedience toward God.

I can relate so much because I've been a position where I've simply been wondering, to the point its been robbing me of my present, what God's will is for me, for my future. When it is all just so simple: live your life today, in accordance to His word, giving the glory to His name, and without even breaking out the Christian books or running to the Christian conferences that promise to "unlock your destiny", you will already be in His will. We need to stop trusting so much in our spirituality, in our ability to discover what this high and lofty and all too often elusive "will of God" (as we've defined it) is. Instead pick up your bible, live according to God's precepts and ways, yield and submit to the direction of the Holy Spirit- this is God's will for you. Then you would have been living your life already in His will, instead of looking to the skies or self-proclaimed prophets for some supposedly foretold event that might never take place.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by VeriLee: 10:21pm On Dec 22, 2009
JeSoul:

Verilee,
I wasn't going to post this initially, but I feel urged to do so. Here's an article on the very subject that I posted on NL on a similar thread a while back. I hope you take something away from it. Godbless!

What if God does NOT have a plan for your life?

I love eureka moments.

And I have been having a eureka moment this entire month.

If you're anything like me, then you've wondered and pondered, sometimes struggled and wrestled with what "God's will is for your life". Many christians are living in a state of limbo, walking around under a self-induced spell that God will someday show up in grand fashion, whisk them away from their current 'secular' predicament otherwise known as a job, and bring to pass His great and awesome "will" for their lives.

However, I have come to the realization that God's will is not some far off event in the future, not some soon-to-be occurrence, not some great or small thing that I will be assigned to do, not a position or an allocation of work or job, but that God's will is right here, right now, and that will is for me - and you- to live lives that glorify His name. God's will for us is to obey, love and serve Him. Could it really be this simple? I also realized that I had been trusting more in my ability to be spiritual enough to hear God, than in God's ability to lead me.

-Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will"

-Colossians 4:12 "Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured"

-1 Thessalonians 4:3 "It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality"

-1 Thessalonians 5:18 "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

-1 Peter 2:15 "For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men"

In all the above, God's will is a very present event, but even more importantly, this big word called "God's will" is already known!. It is not something that is being furiously searched out, it is already recognized, or in the process of being "tested and approved". When we hear the word's "God's will" today we think of this grand thing God has planned for us to be or do. . . what if God just wants you to live a quiet, and relatively uneventful life? Only significantly impacting a small group of people around you? What if God does not have as grand a plan as you think all mapped out for you in the future? What if God does not have anything more than what you are (in a worldly sense) and where you are right now planned out in your future? what if where you are is where He wants you to be? what if this is really it? For you to be simple and unknown, unaccomplished by worldly standards, quietly serving and worshipping Him?

This is not to say God's plans for us are not good, but oftentimes our definition of "good" is not the same as God's definition. Remember, as high as the heavens are above the earth, so far are our thoughts from His. What if He just wants a simple, plain, regular joes life for you? what if? What if His plan for you is to suffer for His name and His glory? not doing anything great or wonderful ever in your life? what if your dreams and goals are not what He wants? what if your vision and aspirations are not part of His plan? What if you're not destined for "greatness"? what if? The bible teaches us we're not promised tomorrow, it teaches us not to fret or worry about tomorrow. So how did we get to this place where we're looking into a spiritual crystal ball, in a futile attempt to "discover" God's future "plans" for us? And you know what the plain truth is, we spend so much time and energy trying to figure out "what God's will is", instead of just trusting God to lead us into His will as we serve Him today. You see the difference?

The first part places the emphasis on us, on how deeply spiritual we are that we can hear God's voice, that we can attain some level of holiness that God's will will then suddenly become apparent in some kind of vision or revelation. The latter part places the emphasis on God, and how faithful He is in answering a genuine prayer seeking His direction. And as He directs and leads, we become aware He has led, and that we are already in His will and His name is glorified in that. Here the glory goes to God- alone, whereas in the former the glory goes to us, to how "spiritual" we are. Now please don't get me wrong, there's nuthin wrong with having goals and things you'd like to accomplish, there's nuthin wrong with wanting to live and walk the path God has for you, but we must keep things in perspective. As we're setting the dreams and goals, how much of it is God-centered? And how much of it is you-centered? How much of your dreams seek to glorify God vs. glorifying you? And you may very well have noble intentions with your dreams, to win souls and share Christ, but it doesn't always necessarily mean they are God's intentions for you. So let us not cajole ourselves into believing that just cos we have good motives it justifies the dream. David had good intentions to build a temple for God, but God did not want him to. And if David had persisted in that dream, it would have been an act of disobedience toward God.

I can relate so much because I've been a position where I've simply been wondering, to the point its been robbing me of my present, what God's will is for me, for my future. When it is all just so simple: live your life today, in accordance to His word, giving the glory to His name, and without even breaking out the Christian books or running to the Christian conferences that promise to "unlock your destiny", you will already be in His will. We need to stop trusting so much in our spirituality, in our ability to discover what this high and lofty and all too often elusive "will of God" (as we've defined it) is. Instead pick up your bible, live according to God's precepts and ways, yield and submit to the direction of the Holy Spirit- this is God's will for you. Then you would have been living your life already in His will, instead of looking to the skies or self-proclaimed prophets for some supposedly foretold event that might never take place.

thanks Jesoul,

That seemed to be very edifying until I read you last paragraph, which brought me right back to the start of my problem. You said I should yield and submit to the will of the Holy Spirit and that this is God's will for me. But this is exactly the problem I am facing.

How do I know what the will of the Holy Spirit is? If I do not know what the will of the Holy Spirit is, I would never be able to know whether I am submitting to my will, or somebody else's will. In the case of my marriage question, how would I know which of these ladies is the preference of the Holy Spirit for me?
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by JeSoul(f): 4:55am On Dec 23, 2009
VeriLee:

thanks Jesoul,

That seemed to be very edifying until I read you last paragraph, which brought me right back to the start of my problem. You said I should yield and submit to the will of the Holy Spirit and that this is God's will for me. But this is exactly the problem I am facing.

How do I know what the will of the Holy Spirit is? If I do not know what the will of the Holy Spirit is, I would never be able to know whether I am submitting to my will, or somebody else's will. In the case of my marriage question, how would I know which of these ladies is the preference of the Holy Spirit for me?
  My brother, you already know! His will is live a life that glorifies God.

As for your dilemma on who to marry - this too you will know with time. I don't believe God already has everything in our lives planned out. Not at all. Rather He allows us to make decisions, using His word as a guide and the Holyspirit as confirmation and in this, he brings about good as long as we are in His will (living the word).

Some people have given solid advice on this thread. There's no need to get married right now, make a decision when you are sure in your heart beyond all doubt. No one can tell you, I daresay the Holyspirit is not in the business of pointing out which partner is best suited for us. But instead use the godly wisdom in you to make a decision you will be at peace with in your spirit.

Finally, the one way I know I am making a good decision, is the peace I feel in my spirit. Which is why its important to take all the time you need, and then decide with confidence and peace of mind and heart. This way, you will not second guess yourself in the future. Godbless brother!
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by VeriLee: 11:36am On Dec 23, 2009
JeSoul:

My brother, you already know! His will is live a life that glorifies God.

As for your dilemma on who to marry - this too you will know with time. I don't believe God already has everything in our lives planned out. Not at all. Rather He allows us to make decisions, using His word as a guide and the Holyspirit as confirmation and in this, he brings about good as long as we are in His will (living the word).

Some people have given solid advice on this thread. There's no need to get married right now, make a decision when you are sure in your heart beyond all doubt. No one can tell you, I daresay the Holyspirit is not in the business of pointing out which partner is best suited for us. But instead use the godly wisdom in you to make a decision you will be at peace with in your spirit.

Finally, the one way I know I am making a good decision, is the peace I feel in my spirit. Which is why its important to take all the time you need, and then decide with confidence and peace of mind and heart. This way, you will not second guess yourself in the future. Godbless brother!

JeSoul,

Many thanks again. What your have said sounds reasonable and rational. I shall stop relying on God and the Holy Spirit to reveal to me my plan and to guide me. My destiny is all in my hands and not in the hands of God. This all makes sense to me now.

Thanks very much.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by JeSoul(f): 3:41pm On Dec 23, 2009
Verilee my brother, you're more than welcome. Go and conquer with the godly wisdom you possess that comes from above. We're all in this together and He who called us will be faithful to finish the good work He began. It is well with you.

Godbless!  smiley
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by huxley(m): 4:25pm On Dec 23, 2009
VeriLee:

JeSoul,

Many thanks again. What your have said sounds reasonable and rational. I shall stop relying on God and the Holy Spirit to reveal to me my plan and to guide me. My destiny is all in my hands and not in the hands of God. This all makes sense to me now.

Thanks very much.

VeriLee, VeriLee I say onto you,

Why did it take you this long to realise that your destiny is in your hands and NOT in the hands of god. Just look at the two-faced lies and bullsh*t that some Christians here have been trying to get you to believe, notably JeSoul.

On the one hand, she advises you to submit to the will of the Holy Spirit, but when you rightly question her about how to know the will of the Holy Spirit, she comes up with such garbage as this - "that the Holy Spirit's will is a life that glorifies god". But how does one translate this into everyday life principles? How such glibness help the ordinary Christian to decide important everyday questions like:

1) Who to marry amongst many equally good and Christian candidates?
2) What sort of business deals to undertake amongst several good candidates options?
3) What medical attention to pursue amongst several good options?

Supposing all the options available would glorify God - one is left with no better godly way of choosing than relying on one's self. This is gross hypocricy, because almost every Christian I know are taught to call on god to guide them in the daily plans and to reveal the plans that He has for them.

To now claim that God has not got a determined plan for anyone is to deny God's omniscience. Such is the contradictions and dissonance that fills the minds of the benighted Christians.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by JeSoul(f): 4:36pm On Dec 23, 2009
Huxley, please return to whatever woodwork you just crawled out from.

You have not changed one bit, still cannot exhibit any sense of decorum. This is not a topic tending to your atheistic leanings - it is for christian issues. You can scurry along to open a new thread to vent and abandon.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by huxley(m): 5:29pm On Dec 23, 2009
JeSoul:

Huxley, please return to whatever woodwork you just crawled out from.

You have not changed one bit, still cannot exhibit any sense of decorum. This is not a topic tending to your atheistic leanings - it is for christian issues. You can scurry along to open a new thread to vent and abandon.

Hello JeSoul,

I know you guys would love nothing more than to be left to wallow in your cesspit of dissonance, contradictions and hypocrisy. Just look at the rubbish you spouted out. Did it make any sense to any one with the ability to think?

How could you have advised VeriLee to "submit to the will of the Holy Spirit" and yet not tell him how to know the "will of the Holy Spirit"? When he challenged you on this you said that the will of the Holy Spirit is to lead a godly life. Only a mind as befuddled as yours would not see the circularity in this way of thinking.

As a Christian, VeriLee has been indoctrinated into thinking that he should refer all his problems to God. Here you are advising him to rely on himself instead. What really is the truth? Should he rely on God or should he take his destiny on his own hands? Where does god come into the picture?
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by JeSoul(f): 6:23pm On Dec 23, 2009
Like I said, please crawl back into the woodwork and leave us to wallow in our ignorance. What do you care?
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by DAVE5(m): 4:03am On Dec 24, 2009
@poster,u ain't supposed to know that's it's his plan not urs
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by PastorAIO: 2:04pm On Dec 24, 2009
huxley:

Hello JeSoul,

I know you guys would love nothing more than to be left to wallow in your cesspit of dissonance, contradictions and hypocrisy. Just look at the rubbish you spouted out. Did it make any sense to any one with the ability to think?

Talking about cesspits of dissonance, Huxley, you still have not answered me as to how you resolve the dissonance between your invented morality and the existential reality you live in. I personally cannot imagine a murkier cesspit to wallow in. You not only wallow you sink deeper and deeper as you thrash around.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by DeepSight(m): 3:06pm On Dec 24, 2009
@ Poster - Look to your Conscience, simple.

@Huxley - Where u been?
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by VeriLee: 11:57am On Dec 28, 2009
Hello and thanks to everyone who tried to advised me. I think I have come to a reasonable decision as to how to deal with these difficult questions in my life and there are as follows:

1) I have put off my marriage question until sometime into the far further. I have informed my family about this and they are now supportive of my decision. My decision to postpone the marriage question was made because I realise they are many other things that influence the marriage issue and until I sort out what these things are, I will not be able to properly address the marriage question. And the biggest of this influential issues is the quality and type of advice I have been getting from friends, family, pastors, and strangers, which brings me to the second issue:

2) Advice from Friends, Family, Pastors and Strangers. As Christian, nearly all the people around me are also God-fearing Christians and they are highly respected in the community. These people are approach by the community for all manner of problems and their wisdom is generally accepted and adopted by seekers. But in my case I had many different advice from all these people:

i) I had respected Christians friends and Pastors who said God hand a definite plan for me and that all I need do was pray had for God to reveal that to me.
ii) I had other respected Christian who said there was a plan but God cannot reveal it to me.
iii) I had advice that there was no plan at all and that I make up the plan minute by minute as I go along in life, but that I should ask God for guidance as I make these plans.
etc, etc, etc.

Basically, I have received so many conflicting and contradictory messages I have decided to no longer seek advice from these people. I have no lost all confidence about the source of these people's knowledge and wisdom of God's words. How could two different Pastors come up with two different answers about whether God has a plan for my life? This is really worrying. Could these Pastors be making up most of the things they tell us in church?

TO this end, I have now decided to look into the teachings of the pastors and the bible with a more critical eye and examine very carefully whether the teachings correspond with history and the facts about the world. To think that these pastors could have beeen lying and deceiving us all these years really HURTS me. So my second big decision is that I have decided to suspend my belief and investigate more the teachings of the bible and listen more carefully to some of the critics of religions and Christianity. There really may be something out there that we (I) have not been exposed to having be raised in a very cloistered Christian home.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by JeSoul(f): 4:27pm On Dec 28, 2009
VeriLee:

2) Advice from Friends, Family, Pastors and Strangers. As Christian, nearly all the people around me are also God-fearing Christians and they are highly respected in the community. These people are approach by the community for all manner of problems and their wisdom is generally accepted and adopted by seekers. But in my case I had many different advice from all these people:

i) I had respected Christians friends and Pastors who said God hand a definite plan for me and that all I need do was pray had for God to reveal that to me.
ii) I had other respected Christian who said there was a plan but God cannot reveal it to me.
iii) I had advice that there was no plan at all and that I make up the plan minute by minute as I go along in life, but that I should ask God for guidance as I make these plans.
etc, etc, etc.

Basically, I have received so many conflicting and contradictory messages I have decided to no longer seek advice from these people. I have no lost all confidence about the source of these people's knowledge and wisdom of God's words. How could two different Pastors come up with two different answers about whether God has a plan for my life? This is really worrying. Could these Pastors be making up most of the things they tell us in church?

TO this end, I have now decided to look into the teachings of the pastors and the bible with a more critical eye and examine very carefully whether the teachings correspond with history and the facts about the world. To think that these pastors could have beeen lying and deceiving us all these years really HURTS me. So my second big decision is that I have decided to suspend my belief and investigate more the teachings of the bible and listen more carefully to some of the critics of religions and Christianity. There really may be something out there that we (I) have not been exposed to having be raised in a very cloistered Christian home.

Verilee, you should have been testing everything you're told against the light of the scriptures and not simply accepting it based on the person be it pastor, bishop or pope. This is why so many are led astray and held captive to the baseless, sensationalized teachings of "men of god".

Another thing you must also understand is people are people, they are not infallible. They may be honest and sincere in their advice, but they could be wrong and more often than not - God has not spoken to any of them, they're simply giving their opinion, not God's. When I had to make a huge decision years back I got differing advice from a few friends I asked - godly friends. But in the end, I made my decision myself and from my heart with help from the Holy Spirit.

I encourage you to go ahead and examine everything you've been taught. I will add this caution, be careful in whatever resources or "historical facts about the world and bible" you seek to discover, because at the end of the day, your belief in God and Christ is not based on facts and figures and statistics but simply on faith, reinforced by the hand and work and touch of God you experience in your life everyday.

All the best in your quest brother.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by JeSoul(f): 4:29pm On Dec 28, 2009
One more thing, ask questions here on NL. It is a very diverse place and you'll get answers from every conceivable viewpoint, for and against religion/christianity, then make up your own mind. I hope you find the narrow.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by VeriLee: 5:56pm On Dec 28, 2009
JeSoul:

Verilee, you should have been testing everything you're told against the light of the scriptures and not simply accepting it based on the person be it pastor, bishop or pope. This is why so many are led astray and held captive to the baseless, sensationalized teachings of "men of god".

Another thing you must also understand is people are people, they are not infallible. They may be honest and sincere in their advice, but they could be wrong and more often than not - God has not spoken to any of them, they're simply giving their opinion, not God's. When I had to make a huge decision years back I got differing advice from a few friends I asked - godly friends. But in the end, I made my decision myself and from my heart with help from the Holy Spirit.

I encourage you to go ahead and examine everything you've been taught. I will add this caution, be careful in whatever resources or "historical facts about the world and bible" you seek to discover, because at the end of the day, your belief in God and Christ is not based on facts and figures and statistics but simply on faith, reinforced by the hand and work and touch of God you experience in your life everyday.

All the best in your quest brother.

Hello JeSoul,

Thank you for sticking with me. This is the mark of a true friend. As you can see, I am going through some rather difficult emotional and spiritual turmoil and over the last few months it has affected my relationships with my family and friends and others. It has even affect my productivity at work because I seem to have lost my usual easy-going and happy attitude at work, because this is such a weight on my mind. The decision I have taken is not an easy one and I am sure that this would further disturb my relationships with my community. Unfortunately, I had to come to this decision because I felt I was getting far too many mixed messages from people I had very high regard for. I also felt that these people had been touched individually by God, so it came as a big surprise that there was no uniformity in their advice. It has felt a big question in my mind, namely; what is the point of God having ministers, pastors on earth if God cannot use these people to touch the lives of his children? Yes - I understand these are people, but I was given to understand that these ministers and pastors are people who God had specifically chosen to serve him. Is this now not true? If you pastor said to you that he has received a message from God, you you believe him or not?

You say above that ultimately, everything rests on faith. I see you point, but this is not what constitute my biggest problem. I have taken on faith that God had a plan for me, that his ministers on earth were chosen by him, that he could reveal his plan to me, etc, etc. Should I carry on hold to these views on faith? How do I know Christianity is true? Should I just believe it is true on faith? Well, that would make it no difference from someone who believed on faith that Islam or Buddhism are true?

You said above that you once had to make a difficult decision, so I am sure you appreciate my position. I had been in this state of indecision for many many months and it got to a point where I thought I was going crazy. So my decision to pull out of my community for some time will allow me time to think and reflect and bring some sanity back into my life. You said you had some help from the Holy Spirit - Please, can you advise how the Holy Spirit helped and how did you recognise that it was the Holy Spirit and not some other entity?

Many thanks.
Re: How Do I Come To Know What God's Plan For My Life Is? by b284490: 6:23pm On Dec 28, 2009
@ VeriLee

I couldnt get your email address from your profile to personally and directly respond to you

Are you on any IM (e.g. Yahoo Messenger etc) for a chat concerning the topic

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Lord's Chosen Ministry Members / Deepsight, Does Your God Create From Ex Nihilo / Is The Universe Conscious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.