Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,384 members, 7,781,099 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:53 AM

Cyber Fraud: 30 Arrested, One Ghanaian, 29 Nigerians Involved - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Cyber Fraud: 30 Arrested, One Ghanaian, 29 Nigerians Involved (750 Views)

Chinese Man Involved In Accident In Ghana Refuses Helpers To Hold His Money Bag / Winners Chapel Members Involved In Accident While Returning From Shiloh. Photos / Photos Of Corpers Involved In A Motor Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cyber Fraud: 30 Arrested, One Ghanaian, 29 Nigerians Involved by JesseJackson67: 10:39pm On Mar 20, 2017
A suspected cyber crime syndicate was last Saturday busted by the Achimota Mile 7 Police in Accra. In all, 29 suspects, all Nigerians, were arrested in an early morning swoop on a house at Alhaji Tabora in Accra.

Retrieved from the suspects were 34 laptops and 48 mobile phones they allegedly used in committing crimes.

The suspects are also linked to a dead body that was found wrapped at the Apenkwa neighbourhood two weeks ago.

The suspects are aged from 21 to 30.

Another suspect, Peter Konadu Frimpong, 34, who was on top of a storey building videoing the police action, was also arrested.

The suspects

Among the suspects rounded up were Ike Ogu, 24; Ike Iduozi, 23; Blessing Adebayo, 25; Awudu Abdul Razak, 23; Daley Emmanuel, 26; Moses Madjaki, 30; Onaghnise Osahou, 24; Peter Andrews,25; Benjamin Akumeze, 25; Kelvin Osayi, 23; Oforufemi Adrigu, 25, Anthony Irughe, 22 and Kelvin Uche, 22.

Others were Timothy Irughe, 22; Elvis Uzeogbu, 24; Owen Zakari, 24; Joe Steve Obozu, 29; Festus Owubu, 25; Abraham Femi, 24; Suleman Abudu, 25; Abraham Femi, 24; Age Michael, 25; Philip Aghariaha, 25; Nathaniel Owobu, 27; Teddy Atigbin, 23; Henry Onege, 27; Daniel Ukuokolo, 21; Osas Uhuns, 22; Kelvin Ola, 23, Lucky Osahou,21 and Yakubu Dido, 26.

Tip-off

Briefing the Daily Graphic in Accra yesterday, the Accra Regional Police Commander, DCOP Osabarima Oware Asare Pinkro II, said the police, acting on a tip-off, kept the house under surveillance before conducting the swoop.

He said the police met almost all the suspects busily engaged in fraudulent cyber activities during the swoop around 7 a.m. last Saturday.

“The suspects were all living in one big house where they undertake their nefarious activities,” he added.

Link to dead body

On the dead body found at Apenkwa which was linked to the suspected cyber fraudsters, DCOP Pinkro said a search on the body revealed that the victim had been killed somewhere and dumped at the place.

Information gathered by the police indicated that the deceased was one of the Nigerian suspects who had gone missing.

“The information was that he was beaten to death and wrapped and dumped there for leaking the group’s activities to a third party whom we cannot name. They saw it as a betrayal. We are investigating this case, in addition to the cyber crime cases,” he said.

The suspects will be put before court today, pending further police investigations.

Simultaneous swoop

In a related development, the Accra Regional Police Command, on March 10, 2017, simultaneously carried out swoops in all 14 of its divisions in parts of the city believed to be dens of criminals.

In the process, 112 suspects were arrested in areas including Adenta, the Odorkor Market, Kwashieman, Gbawe, Anyaa, Sowutuom and its environs, the Achimota Charcoal Station, Aborfu, the Santana Market, the Abeka Market, Kissieman, Akweteman, the Madina Market, the Redco Flats, Madina Zongo, the Madina Lorry Station, Madina Firestone, Adabraka, Tuobodom at Adabraka, the Obra Spot at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle and Accra New Town.

Apart from the items, including electronic gadgets, retrieved from the suspects, the police found wrapped substances suspected to be Indian hemp.

At Accra New Town, for instance, the police collected 179 wrapped dried leaves suspected to be Indian hemp, 61 wrapped whitish substances suspected to be narcotic drugs and 65 wrapped rock-like material suspected to be narcotic drugs.

Accra Regional Police Commander, DCOP Osabarima Oware Asare Pinkro II

Danger

Commenting on the suspected narcotic drugs seized, DCOP Osabarima Pinkro said: “It tells you the danger of people abusing drugs in the city. This is a contributory factor to the violent crimes, including murder, suicide and robbery.”

He said it was, therefore, important that the police conducted those swoops to get rid of criminals to make the communities safer.

“Police work thrives on information. What we want the public to do is provide us with information. They should give us information on the hideouts of these criminals. They know them; they live with some of them. If possible, they should come to me personally,” he appealed.

He urged the public to erase the perception that when they reported crime to the police, the police would turn around to reveal the identities of the informants to the criminals.
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/crime/Cyber-fraud-30-arrested-one-Ghanaian-29-Nigerians-involved-520416
Source-
Re: Cyber Fraud: 30 Arrested, One Ghanaian, 29 Nigerians Involved by zeyheed(m): 10:42pm On Mar 20, 2017
God help us
Re: Cyber Fraud: 30 Arrested, One Ghanaian, 29 Nigerians Involved by stephleena(f): 10:46pm On Mar 20, 2017
blessing adebayo,and femi abdulrazak...is all I see..
Re: Cyber Fraud: 30 Arrested, One Ghanaian, 29 Nigerians Involved by Young03(m): 10:57pm On Mar 20, 2017
I know they all left benin city /lagos to ghana
Half na benin peeps
kola u c ur life, no b Saturday u de plan go ghana
be careful
and to dat guy wey thief my gyy laptop run enter gh, I pray u follow
Re: Cyber Fraud: 30 Arrested, One Ghanaian, 29 Nigerians Involved by Vickiweezy(m): 11:28pm On Mar 20, 2017
Proof undecided Pictures undecided
Re: Cyber Fraud: 30 Arrested, One Ghanaian, 29 Nigerians Involved by mykelmeezy: 12:47am On Mar 21, 2017
stephleena:

sorry the afonjas disappointed you...

even me sef expected many kabiri n olatunde in that list

but na our blodas from the land of the sun that doesn't charge past 50% full the list
Re: Cyber Fraud: 30 Arrested, One Ghanaian, 29 Nigerians Involved by tolulinks(m): 2:35am On Mar 21, 2017
stephleena:
You are starting to lose your sight my dear. Visit your nearest optician

(1) (Reply)

Post The Pictures You've Taken That Made You Laugh/ Cry . . .etc. . . . / Real Madrid Celebrates Laliga Title Triumph In Style (photos). / The Spammer Posting Nairabet Slips on Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.