Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,864 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:08 AM

500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students (21116 Views)

400L ESUT Student Stabbed To Dead, Came Out For DOS Post (Graphic photos) / Police Teargas, Shoot & Chase LAUTECH Students Protesting 7 Months Strike / Hike In Fees:Protest Goes Bloody As Soldiers Open Fire On Protesting Students. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by AmbodOfLASU: 6:23am On Mar 21, 2017
Samson Folarin

There was tension at the Lagos State University, Ojo, Lagos, on Monday, after students protesting against the death of a 500-level student, identified as Ugwanyi Onyekachi, clashed with the police.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the President of the Students Union Government, Samuel Kappo, was also arrested by the police.

It was learnt that Onyekachi had an altercation with a truck driver on Sunday after the latter bashed his car on the LASU-Isheri Road.

The disagreement was said to have degenerated into a fight, during which the victim was stabbed to death by the driver, who immediately fled the scene.

Students of the school on Monday trooped out to protest against the killing, as motorists were held in a gridlock that lasted for hours.

Policemen at the Igando division were said to have used tear gas on the students.

Some of the angry students reportedly attacked the police team after the SUG president was arrested.

The school’s Acting Public Relations Officer, Ademola Adekoya, who confirmed the incident, said the school authorities had already intervened, adding that Kappo had been released.

He said, “Management notes with sadness the unfortunate death of Ugwanyi Cyril Onyekachi, a 500-level student of the Faculty of Law, with Matric Number 130411107, and commiserates with the family, friends and colleagues of the student. In the same vein, we salute the students of the Lagos State University, led by the LASUSU President, Mr. Samuel Kappo, for the maturity they displayed in responding to the issue, even under a very tense and emotional condition.

“Angry reactions followed the news of the unfortunate incident. But student leaders, having received assurance from the police on the arrest and detention of the individual alleged to have perpetrated the act, prevailed on the students to exercise restraints for justice to prevail. Our students have, therefore, returned to their classrooms and are going about their activities peacefully.”

The state police spokesperson, Olarinde Famous-Cole, gave a different account of the incident.

He said a student had a fight with a motorist after their vehicles collided, which led to the death of the driver.

“The student was arrested and his colleagues came to demand his release. The suspect has been transferred to the command,” he added

http://punchng.com/500-level-lasu-undergraduate-killed-students-clash-with-police/

1 Share

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by AmbodOfLASU: 6:26am On Mar 21, 2017
YESTERDAY, LASU LOST ONE OF ITS PRIDE - A 500 LEVEL LAW STUDENT.

What pains us most was the way the Police shot at students and PROFESSORS(led by the Dean of Faculty of Law) who only came to receive the assurance of the Police that the culprit won't be released (as it was already being rumoured the murderer has been released by the men of Igando Police).

On sighting a LASU bus at their entrance , the Policemen immediately opened fire on the bus (that conveyed the SUG PRESIDENT and 5 of his excos).

They immediately arrested them again and this irked the students who mobillized in their thousands to Igando to demand the release of their President and justice for the departed soul.

Shockingly, the Policemen yesterday night, in order to cover their evil act on innocent and peaceful students changed the face of the story and claimed our STUDENT THAT WAS MURDERED WAS THE ONE THAT KILLED HIS MURDER. ... The Policemen should remember that we are LASUITES, we can't stand oppression and injustice.... They will feel the heat but we will remain PEACEFUL as we are militant but reasonable!!!!

WE WILL NOT REST UNTILL WE GET JUSTICE

ALUTA CONTINUA, VICTORIA ASCERTA!!!

Cc Lalasticlala, Seun, Fynestboi, Mynd45, Oluwalebabs

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Oliviaxx(f): 6:30am On Mar 21, 2017
its a pity...what a waste
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Dosmay(m): 6:53am On Mar 21, 2017
We need to be high on Aluta in nigeria

1 Like

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by deenvibe(m): 6:54am On Mar 21, 2017
@AmbodoflASU hope our exam still start by 27th

1 Like

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by AmbodOfLASU: 6:57am On Mar 21, 2017
deenvibe:
@AmbodoflASU hope our exam still start by 27th

Sure, the school has maintained its peace.

Convocation continues. Exams will start next week
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by AmbodOfLASU: 6:58am On Mar 21, 2017
Cc Richie , oluwalebabs , Fynestboi and Lalasticlala

Policemen after shooting at innocent students now lied that a student that was murdered actually killed his murderer....

SHAME!!!!!

8 Likes

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by deenvibe(m): 7:06am On Mar 21, 2017
AmbodOfLASU:

Sure, the school has maintained its peace.
Convocation continues. Exams will start next week
but am nt through with my registration and non of my course have exam pass
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by busky101(m): 7:49am On Mar 21, 2017
Imagine, young boy gone just like that.....
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Nobody: 7:53am On Mar 21, 2017
shocked
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Goldenheart(m): 7:54am On Mar 21, 2017
All those years wasted because of what?
and people still never learn

Quote of the day

Anger is mean and destructive but it's nothing compared to Jealousy...

1 Like

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 21, 2017
LASU and wahala..Will that school ever know peace?
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by seunfunme: 7:55am On Mar 21, 2017
busky101:
Imagine, young boy gone just like that.....
What a pity
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Liamm(m): 7:56am On Mar 21, 2017
First time yorubas are looking out for a fellow from a different tribe. Tribalism only exists on nairaland after all cheesy

11 Likes

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Nobody: 7:56am On Mar 21, 2017
The police and APC, not sure who tells more brazen lies.
Disgusting entities.

1 Like

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Nobody: 7:56am On Mar 21, 2017
Another day... Another bad news

1 Like

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Negotiate: 7:56am On Mar 21, 2017
sad
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by soberdrunk(m): 7:56am On Mar 21, 2017
All this could have been avoided if we had a functioning 'insurance' system, if someone hits your car all you will need do is collect their 'details' and not 'throw blow' angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Vickiweezy(m): 7:57am On Mar 21, 2017
Just imagine, Police sef ehn una too dey fk up.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by hoover420: 7:57am On Mar 21, 2017
Those men in black again? sad

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by DateMynd44(m): 7:58am On Mar 21, 2017
and Buhari strikes again
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by blogbloke: 7:59am On Mar 21, 2017
Kai na waoo

5 Likes

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by jericco1(m): 7:59am On Mar 21, 2017
My dear take heart. It happens everywhere
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by mrtegation99(m): 7:59am On Mar 21, 2017
Chisos. No Good News In Nigeria again

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by omozuat(m): 8:00am On Mar 21, 2017
It's a pity... People are heartless
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by hefelove(m): 8:00am On Mar 21, 2017
AmbodOfLASU:

Policemen after shooting at innocent students now lied that a student that was murdered actually killed his murderer....

SHAME!!!!!
This! May God purnish Nigeria police. all of them!

3 Likes

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by victormartyn(m): 8:00am On Mar 21, 2017
Rip to the dead

sad tho.
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Nobody: 8:00am On Mar 21, 2017
Stupid Igbo Boy.....Allow yoruba to fight their fight and die in their own land... Be wise brothers.

1 Like

Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by tosynomolara(f): 8:02am On Mar 21, 2017
RIP
Re: 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students by Nobody: 8:02am On Mar 21, 2017
Hmmm

What strikes me about the story is the fact that the student, on being hit by the truck driver, got out of the car to fight with the truck driver, and got stabbed to death.

Now, I am not excusing the student's death. It should not have happened. But fighting a guy because he bashed your vehicle?

In Nigeria today, people get angry over little things. I recall the time when at a junction in Abuja, I once observed a driver run into another driver. The chap he ran into got out of his car in anger and smashed his fist on the bonnet of the offending car with so much force that he caused a visible dent. A fight resulted, which was sorted out by a nearby traffic warden (No one got arrested).

So, if this case goes to court....I won't be surprised if the driver can get off scott free on the grounds that he acted in self defence. After all, he could claim with some justification that was physically attacked by the student in question.....

And when that happens, some people would be crying tribe, or partiality, or bribe...[b]forgetting that the deceased got out of his car to fight with the truck driver.[/b]Once that happened...the truck driver had a case for self defence there.(He could still, IMO get in jail for manslaughter...but my legal-minded nairalanders know better.)

Look, as someone who has an anger problem, I know how I feel when someone does me wrong (I can still remember the anger I felt when one taxidriver ran into me at a junction while I was waiting for the red light to turn green.I did not say anything, just got out, examined my car , and then drove off)....but sometimes it is better to keep your hands to yourself when you are angry. Because you don't know if the chap you want to fight has a weapon on him....

9 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Did You Do To Be Self Dependent Financially As A University Student? / Kano Students On Scholarship Graduate From Egyptian University / What Are The Benefits Of Student Relationships?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.