Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago (53021 Views)

‘OAU Student Who Drank Sniper Once Attempted Suicide’ / RCCG Woman Who Attempted Suicide In Lagos Arraigned In Court, Granted N500k Bail / Medical Doctor Who Jumped Into Lagoon Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by doskie(m): 10:35am On Mar 21, 2017
SageTravels:

LOlzzzz. And u do MMM oo. NO lie
lolzzz
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by Claessique1(f): 10:38am On Mar 21, 2017
I am not saying this to diss any religion institution, but when I saw deeper life church, another thought struck me.
I have got friends whose parents worship with Deeper Life Ministry, they make life miserable for their children, they impose rules and doctrines and I tell you it's not funny.
My friend tries sometimes to open up to me and what I hear, trust me makes me devastated.......
She is always depressed as long as she stays with her parents, they condemn all she does......
Everything in life isn't spirituality, try to understand your kids, get close to them, relate with them based on their ideology and instincts. Don't condemn.
Only God knows what must have transpired, to make this young man take his life this way. So Sad.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by hasonjack: 10:40am On Mar 21, 2017
kingsouthie:
This sun news or whatever has an editor also right?at one point he drove the car himself with his driver on the passengers seat, at another point he asked the driver to pull over so he could to ease himself...

I dey wonder
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by Nobody: 10:41am On Mar 21, 2017
The gods are not happy with the people. You all should plead with the Royal father to do something traditionally very quickly.
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 21, 2017
"he tried the commit suicide four years ago and his family has been watching him closely since then"

that doctor has some mental/psychological issues that was never acknowledged or treated because ofcourse, they're deeper life - prayers will fix everything.
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by DeRay98(m): 10:46am On Mar 21, 2017
vivalavida:
And this kinda person with so much suicidal tendencies was attending to patients?

Everybody in this country even our doctors require psychological evaluation from time to time

In case you don't know let me tell you that doctors are the worst patients you could ever have.
Lots of them don't care about their own health, very poor compliance to treatment if they're put on treatment.
Lots of them don't practice what they "preach" to their patients.

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 21, 2017
Claessique1:
I am not saying this to diss any religion institution, but when I saw deeper life church, another thought struck me.
I have got friends whose parents worship with Deeper Life Ministry, they make life miserable for their children, they impose rules and doctrines and I tell you it's not funny.
My friend tries sometimes to open up to me and what I hear, trust me makes me devastated.......
She is always depressed as long as she stays with her parents, they condemn all she does......
Everything in life isn't spirituality, try to understand your kids, get close to them, relate with them based on their ideology and instincts. Don't condemn.
Only God knows what must have transpired, to make this young man take his life this way. So Sad.

you're right. I had a classmate back in secondary school who was deeper life. they don't have TV in the house cos it's against their doctrine to watch TV cos of "immoral TV programmes'.

She always seemed removed/redrawn in class. I knew deep down that girl isn't happy.

3 Likes

Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by rawpadgin(m): 10:49am On Mar 21, 2017
Wishaky:

Lolzxx, yu be real rugged man, yu gat naija real heart nd spirit but I stil pity d guy sa.
I don't people that commit suicide
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by Nathan2016: 10:50am On Mar 21, 2017
How many have you done in the listed...is not just copy and paste alone...and to the people that always trying to commit sucide hear this.....THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU...SO STOP THINKING IT DOES
amynah94:
Was thinking about the fellow that jumped into the lagoon yesterday and I just couldn't help but feel sad....I spent time wondering what could have moved the young man to such an action. Heard on radio this morning that he was just 35 years....
At 35 he was a doctor...had a car, and even a driver...from the Nigerian standard that sounds like a successful young man in all ramifications.
There probably were lots of his secondary school mates or his university mates envying him.
But truth is no one knew what he was going through.....
I concluded that he was having a bout of depression and it took a bad turn.
I will ask some pertinent questions.
When last did we check on a friend that we haven't heard from in a while?
When last did we visit some one we knew was finding things difficult?
When we see someone who had it going so well and all of a sudden is finding it hard to make ends meet, do we make fun of them?
When was the last time we called the names of particular people in our circle during our prayers with our creator, to intercede on their behalf ?
The economy is tough and truly people are finding it more difficult to survive.
I have noticed personally an increased number of destitutes in Lagos lately.

We need to watch out for each other.......we need to call, we need to visit. I am hoping we check in on others from time to time ( physically).
We never know who needs just an ear to listen to all the problems he/she is going through.

Let's be more caring..... To at least call someone per day just to say hello!

Lets ponder on this for a few seconds and decide to assist each other psychologically& spiritually today.

#copied#
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by thesicilian: 10:56am On Mar 21, 2017
FrancisDiote:

The funny thing is that so many people are going through a lot of problems and and challenges but they have refused to confide in anyone. They forget that a problem shared is half solved.
You mean a problem shared with the right person is a problem half solved. Most people don't listen when you talk. They just wait for you to finish and then recount their own problems to you, as if it is a competition on who has the bigger problems

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by africanusvu(m): 10:58am On Mar 21, 2017
Same news said.he colected d key frm his driver.askd d driver to go to pasanger sit and drove himself.and same news said.he askd d driver to park.then came out and jumpd.Confusion.arnt these blogers using dia brain?
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by vivalavida(m): 11:01am On Mar 21, 2017
DeRay98:

In case you don't know let me tell you that doctors are the worst patients you could ever have.
Lots of them don't care about their own health, very poor compliance to treatment if they're put on treatment.

I know very well. My late dad was a medic

1 Like

Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by onyxo76(m): 11:05am On Mar 21, 2017
DeRay98:

you are so right I hate medications with a passion yet my patients will not be happy until I write 2 prescription lists full of drugs for them, God have mercy on me, when last did I check my bp sef

1 Like

Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by anytaij: 11:12am On Mar 21, 2017
Well said! But there's something I want to make clear to you. Nobody cares do you know who he might have talked to and no one seems to provide help. It's when the did as been done you will hear them saying trash about the person. I thought of doing same too YES! I think is the only option nobody cares all they care about is ones down fall.
amynah94:
Was thinking about the fellow that jumped into the lagoon yesterday and I just couldn't help but feel sad....I spent time wondering what could have moved the young man to such an action. Heard on radio this morning that he was just 35 years....
At 35 he was a doctor...had a car, and even a driver...from the Nigerian standard that sounds like a successful young man in all ramifications.
There probably were lots of his secondary school mates or his university mates envying him.
When we see someone who had it going so well and all of a sudden is finding it hard to make ends meet, do we make fun of them?
When was the last time we called the names of particular people in our circle during our prayers with our creator, to intercede on their behalf ?

We need to watch out for each other.......we need to call, we need to visit. I am hoping we check in on others from time to time ( physically).
We never know who needs just an ear to listen to all the problems he/she is going through.

Lets ponder on this for a few seconds and decide to assist each other psychologically& spiritually today.

#copied#
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by funshint(m): 11:30am On Mar 21, 2017
No matter what you attain in life....it's empty without love. *Behind every man committing suicide, there's a woman involved....
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by Oduduwaboy(m): 11:36am On Mar 21, 2017
I just hope this is not related to MMM.
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by kdcroccityboy: 11:48am On Mar 21, 2017
dre11:

[b]•Shock, sadness trail action

•Mother upbeat her son is alive

•Colleagues described him as easy-going, thoroughbred professional

http://sunnewsonline.com/revealed-dr-orji-attempted-suicide-four-years-ago-2/

1 Share

Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by Aristo3146(m): 11:51am On Mar 21, 2017
amynah94:

#copied#
Nice one...But why are we not looking at the whole scenario from the angle of the church were he was coming from...Some preachers actually incite people with their doctrines to commit suicide or even murder...Remember Reverent King few years ago...the church he attended should be investigated too...if possible they should obtain the footage of that day's preaching and analyse it thoroughly.
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by LawdOfNairaland: 11:52am On Mar 21, 2017
Someone was on Nairaland frontpage recently regretting studying medicine. I hope he was not Dr. Orji?
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by yashau(m): 12:04pm On Mar 21, 2017
FrancisDiote:

The funny thing is that so many people are going through a lot of problems and and challenges but they have refused to confide in anyone. They forget that a problem shared is half solved.
hnmmm that was then ooo, now are days "a problem shared is not a problem half-solved anymore, it's a problem gossiped about"
This is the gospel truth .
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by AnanseK(m): 12:35pm On Mar 21, 2017
WHY DO DOCTORS COMMIT SUICIDE?

Credit Anna Parini
NEW HAVEN — TWO weeks ago, two medical residents, in their second month of residency training in different programs, jumped to their deaths in separate incidents in New York City. I did not know them, and cannot presume to speak for them or their circumstances. But I imagine that they had celebrated their medical school graduation this spring just as my friends and I did. I imagine they began their residencies with the same enthusiasm for healing as we did. And I imagine that they experienced fatigue, emotional exhaustion and crippling self-doubt at the beginning of those residencies — I know I did.

The statistics on physician suicide are frightening: Physicians are more than twice as likely to kill themselves as nonphysicians (and female physicians three times more likely than their male counterparts). Some 400 doctors commit suicide every year. Young physicians at the beginning of their training are particularly vulnerable: In a recent study, 9.4 percent of fourth-year medical students and interns — as first-year residents are called — reported having suicidal thoughts in the previous two weeks.

Hospitals and residency programs recognize the toll residency takes on the mental stability and physical health of new doctors. In 2003, work hours were capped at 80 hours a week for all residency training programs. Residents are provided confidential counseling services to help cope with stress. My residency program offers writing workshops and monthly reflection rounds. We have a wellness committee that organizes social events such as bonfires on the beach and visits from therapy dogs.

But despite these efforts, people still fall through the cracks. While acute stress, social isolation, pre-existing mental illness and substance abuse may be obvious factors to consider, we must also ask if there are aspects of medical culture that might push troubled residents beyond their reserves of emotional resilience

There is a strange machismo that pervades medicine. Doctors, especially fledgling doctors like me, feel pressure to project intellectual, emotional and physical prowess beyond what we truly possess. In his famous essay “Aequanimitas,” Sir William Osler, who founded the first American residency program at Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1889, stressed the importance of equanimity in a physician.

While steadiness in tense situations is an important quality for doctors to have, I believe that the imperturbability that Osler extolled has been misinterpreted to a dangerous degree. We masquerade as strong and untroubled professionals even in our darkest and most self-doubting moments. How, then, are we supposed to identify colleagues in trouble — or admit that we may need help ourselves?

Interns are often bewildered at how rapidly things change for us from May to July. As medical students, while we felt compelled to work hard and excel, our shortfalls were met with reassurances: “It will all come in time.” But as soon as that M.D. is appended to our names in May, our self-expectations skyrocket, as if the conferral of the degree were an enchantment of infallibility. The internal pressure to excel is tremendous: After all, we are real doctors now.

In fact, very little about us changes, apart from our legal ability to prescribe medications. But meanwhile, our workload increases along with the expectations and demands we place on ourselves. Most fourth-year medical students are expected to take care of four patients at a time. But within a month of graduation, without any additional training or practice, we are required to have a comprehensive understanding of up to 10 patients on any given day.

This drastic increase in responsibility can and does overwhelm most interns. Despite the support of my supervisors, my first two months were marked by severe fatigue, numerous clinical errors (that were promptly caught by my supervisors), a constant and haunting fear of hurting my patients and an inescapable sense of inadequacy. I kept up a charade of composure and humor to blend in with my talented colleagues, believing that I was struggling alone. Inside, however, I felt as if I would be found out all too soon.

It was over a dinner of Thai food that I finally opened up. One of my most accomplished colleagues in residency had complimented me on my clinical knowledge a couple of times during the meal. Sick of feeling like a charlatan, I told him about the trouble I was having with collecting clinical data and presenting it in an organized way on rounds. I confessed that I did not think I belonged in the program. He listened thoughtfully, and then uttered the three most beautiful words I had ever heard: “Dude, me too!”

We need to be able to voice these doubts and fears. We need to be able to talk about the sadness of that first death certificate we signed, the mortification at the first incorrect prescription we ordered, the embarrassment of not knowing an answer on rounds that a medical student knew. A medical culture that encourages us to share these vulnerabilities could help us realize that we are not alone and find comfort and increased connection with our peers. It could also make it easier for residents who are at risk to ask for help. And I believe it would make us all better doctors.

Some stoics may invoke Osler’s creed to argue that physicians must push aside our personal burdens to care for the sick. But a tired and depressed doctor who is an island of self-doubt simply isn’t as likely to improve the outcomes of his or her patients — or ever truly care for them.

Pranay Sinha is a physician in his first year of residency in the department of internal medicine at Yale-New Haven Hospital.

A version of this op-ed appears in print on September 5, 2014, on Page A27 of the New York edition with the headline: Why Do Doctors Commit Suicide? .
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by abbeyty(m): 12:36pm On Mar 21, 2017
rawpadgin:
instead of me to kill myself let the problem kuku kill me

lol funny but true , why taking your life when you know you are going to die one day
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by piecesprince(m): 12:39pm On Mar 21, 2017
Too long oo cut the story short
dre11:

[b]•Shock, sadness trail action

•Mother upbeat her son is alive

•Colleagues described him as easy-going, thoroughbred professional

http://sunnewsonline.com/revealed-dr-orji-attempted-suicide-four-years-ago-2/

Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 12:52pm On Mar 21, 2017
One useless Dr. Emmanuel Onabulele said, among other things, that . . .he was said to be coming from a church. What kind of church is it, was it a white garment church ? blah, blah, blah. . .
Since when has jumping into the lagoon in a suicide action become synonymous with coming from a white garment church ?
I've never heard such a most silly, careless and demented-oriented statement from a supposedly educated fellow. As a neuro-surgeon, he probably suffers a bit of the ills he trained to cure.
Nay Dr., has there ever been on record that someone coming back from a white garment church took his/her own life by jumping into a body of water ?
In the report, we read that Dr. Alwell Orji also attempted suicide at his family home 4 years ago. Consequent upon a recurrence of such attempts, he had been placed under close watch. Do we then need a crystal-gazer to tell us his action had nothing to do with where he was going or coming from but with some kind of problem known to his family members and perhaps some neighbours as well ?
Truelly ability to talk sense is a flower that doesn't grow in some people's garden irrespective of whether they are a doctor, learned or not.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by Nickymezor(f): 1:30pm On Mar 21, 2017
Therez more to this story. Many questions begging for answers . Would hv loved to hv seen his pix instead. I hope his body is found soon. Hmmm, it's well.
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by tonididdy(m): 1:38pm On Mar 21, 2017
Andrewkinggg:
He came out to say he isn't the one who attempted suicide. What's happening again!!
i once bumped into an elderly man of maybe 70-75yrs old and we answer SAME NAME, SURNAME and ONITIALS ....phuck we lookd alike too.

so that guy is just a namesake
Re: Dr. Alwell Orji Attempted Suicide Four Years Ago by Ehinmola(m): 1:42pm On Mar 21, 2017
A great loss to the entire world. What a grief

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lady Caged For 3 Years By Her Husband In Delta Over Witchcraft Accusation / Muslim Cleric, Alfa Kills His Friend, Shares His Body Parts For Rituals / Fulani Herdsmen Attack Kajuru In Kaduna, Kill Many (Graphic Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.