Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate (19591 Views)

Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading / Special Status For Lagos Bill Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps / Resource Control Bill Passes Second Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Aonkuuse(m): 5:42pm On Mar 21, 2017
A Bill for an Act to provide for the Prohibition of Facial Mutilation, Offences, Prosecution and Punishment of Offenders on Tuesday passed second reading in the Senate.

The Bill is also for the Protection of victims under threat of facial mutilation and other related Matters.

Sen. Dino Melaye (APC-Kogi), who sponsored the bill, said that there was no doubt that Africans of old used tribal marks as a means of proper identification.

Leading debate on the bill, Melaye said in those days, members of the same village, tribe or lineage had the same tribal marks.

Melaye said that the hometown and lineage of a child or anyone with tribal marks were immediately identified, while outsiders who did not have such marks were also spotted.

He further explained that parents also used tribal marks to lay credence to the legitimacy of their children.

However, the lawmaker said “all these reasons cannot be scientifically proven, and hence cannot enjoy the support for this harmful practice’’.

“The irony of these marks is that it makes victims subjects of mockery by friends. Imagine someone being called a tiger simply because of the thick cheeks resulting from facial marks.

“ These people have been subjected to different reactions. Some have lamented the marks that are bequeathed on them as generational inheritance.

“ Many have cursed the day which this dastardly act was performed on them.

“Many of the grown adults have confessed that the most terrific debacle of their lives is their tribal marks. Some have become eunuchs because of this stigma.

“Imagine a boy in the class of 25 pupils carrying a tribal mark. His mates will call him the boy with the railway line. They are emblems of disfiguration.

“Some of them have developed low self-esteem and most times treated with scorn and ridicule including rejection by the female folks.

“The reactions of people who interact with them say it dampens and lowers their spirit,’’ he said.

Melaye stated that besides the health implication of the practice, it was an infringement on the rights of children, adding that every Nigerian child deserved the right to live.

According to him, it is time a law is enacted to stop the dastardly act, as the popularity and acceptance of facial marks are waning.

“People now prefer that their identity cards remain in their pockets not faces anymore.

“Long before the awareness programme on Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), many people, mostly children who were subjected to tribal marks had inadvertently been infected with infectious diseases.

“Sharp instruments used by locals were not sterilised leading to risk of AIDS, including Hepatitis B and C,” Malaye added.

Melaye said the bill, when passed into law would help to check the act, which was a sign of man’s inhumanity to man in a country as great as Nigeria.

He called on his colleagues to support the passage of the bill.

Contributing to the debate, the Chief Whip, Sen. Olusola Adeyeye commended Melaye for coming up with such an important bill.

According to him, many children have suffered stigmatisation as a result of the practice.

Adeyeye described the act as evil, adding that if it was for the purpose of identification, there was no way any parent would not identify their children without tribal marks.

“In the 21st century, there is no need to argue that either because of religion or custom someone would use sharp object on their children just for identification.

“The Constitution provides that the primary function of government is protection of lives.

“It is disheartening to note that children who have not been tested to know if they are short of blood are being made to lose blood.

“In the 21st century, not only this chamber but every chamber in Africa should rise up to this occasion to stop the pains being inflicted on our children,” he said.

The Chief Whip called for stiff penalty to deter others, adding “our generation must permanently stop that reproach’’.

“ I pray no child will have the kind of mark I have on my hands. This should be banned and we will proscribe severe penalties for both the parents and the so called surgeons,” he added.

The Minority Leader, Sen. Godswill Akpabio equally supported the bill, saying it was a welcome development.

“In those days, people wanted it because they were from royal homes, but these days it is no longer in vogue.

“The international community will be happy we rose to this occasion, so I support this with all my heart.

“It is a violation of the rights of children. The child has no option and can’t fight back. Outside the infection, pain can generate something else and lead to insanity.

“If we have a law already in existence, we should merge the bill with that of female genital mutilation because they are similar,’’ he said.

He also called for stiff penalties for offenders to serve as deterrent to others.

The Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, who presided over plenary, said the bill was commendable in view of what children from some parts of the country were being subjected to.

“I am aware that under our constitution, especially Section 34 (1) forbids torture in humans and degrading treatment.

“This is no doubt inhuman, and it is our responsibility as lawmakers to add flesh to the bones of our constitution.

“On a day like this, I am proud of the senate and I believe that when it goes through the second reading it will go to the committee and return as quickly as possible.

“This is so that we pass it and ensure that it is implemented as quickly as possible to save our children from this inhuman degrading treatment,’’ he said.

The bill was subsequently referred to the Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters to be returned to senate in four weeks.

The post Bill to prohibit tribal marks passes second reading in Senate appeared first on Vanguard News.

Source : http://www.nigeriatoday.ng/2017/03/bill-to-prohibit-tribal-marks-passes-second-reading-in-senate/amp/

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Jetleeee: 5:46pm On Mar 21, 2017
stephleena:
lol@ railway line marks..afonjas won't support this one..

donratcock:
Afonjas will not like this news

sekundosekundo:
He who sold his monkey and buy a dog still have a squatting animal in his house.Useless Oduduwa and his mark of slavery should be allowed to stay after all, our cone headed brothers are not complaining.

Lvlink:
Finally we will no longer see them tigar face grin grin Dino the saviour of Afonja- #Fact

okochaik:
Afonjas will not like this

See them! by their comments you shall know them grin cheesy. The dusty, red-mud descendants of shuku akuko alabiabia. People that are still practising Osu as at 21st March 2017. They too want to talk

Folks, don't be fooled. All these oafs I quoted can't marry Nwadiala (freeborns)

Till date, the same clowns are still battling it in court as regards females inheriting properties ooh

Have y'all seen their grand parents tribal marks before? They look like barcodes grin cheesy They call it Ichi

Unlike them, we Yorubas have always been against tribal marks . The few people doing it are those ones in the village and they are usually low-key about it. They don't even let anyone know until the deed has been done cos they know they'll be exposed

When the thread about female inheritance made FP, these clowns went ham against each other. The gala boys said it's part of shitgbo culture that they aren't ready to dump it cheesy The Nkeshis didn't take it lightly oo. No be small thing we see for here that day my people grin

151 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by DickDastardly(m): 5:55pm On Mar 21, 2017
News for our slippery brothers from the lagoon grin cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by id911(m): 5:56pm On Mar 21, 2017
Good one @ Dino Melaye

5 Likes

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 21, 2017
cheesy

check my signature.
Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Young03(m): 6:03pm On Mar 21, 2017
We yorubas no go gree
its our identity

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by waledeji(m): 6:09pm On Mar 21, 2017
I'm an Afonja but this got me ROTFL cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

32 Likes

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by ikp120(m): 6:10pm On Mar 21, 2017
sekundosekundo:

By their cone heads
See as those things be like witchcraft marks sad sad sad

16 Likes

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Sunnymatey(m): 6:22pm On Mar 21, 2017
Is tribal marks the cause of our predicament in nigeria?

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by simpleseyi: 6:52pm On Mar 21, 2017
Aonkuuse:
A Bill for an Act to provide for the Prohibition of Facial Mutilation, Offences, Prosecution and Punishment of Offenders on Tuesday passed second reading in the Senate.

The Bill is also for the Protection of victims under threat of facial mutilation and other related Matters.

Sen. Dino Melaye (APC-Kogi), who sponsored the bill, said that there was no doubt that Africans of old used tribal marks as a means of proper identification.

So, something positive can still come out of Dino? God is really wonderful. It means that Abubakar Shekau can still accept Jesus as his Lord and personal saviour.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 21, 2017
Are tribal marks mandatory?

I think even without the bill, several families have simply opted out of the practice, citing new religious beliefs and all.

But then again, our honourable senators have to be busy, abi?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Flexherbal(m): 6:58pm On Mar 21, 2017
I am so much concerned about this part:

“Sharp instruments used by locals were not sterilised leading to risk of AIDS, including Hepatitis B and C,”

5 Likes

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by naijaking1: 7:01pm On Mar 21, 2017
First, I thought this was a joke!

1 Like

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 21, 2017
Dino why naa..

Abeg make em free this matter.. na people identity. grin

5 Likes

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by donratcock: 7:16pm On Mar 21, 2017
Afonjas will not like this news

12 Likes

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Munae(f): 7:17pm On Mar 21, 2017
please o... we need that bill
Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by DocHMD: 7:21pm On Mar 21, 2017
Lmao! I used to have a yoruba friend in JSS3 class with terrible oyo tribal marks on both sides of his faces. Girls made fun of him and it pained him.

He also swore he was going to kill the man in his village who gave him those tribal mark whenever he grew bigger and stronger. cheesy

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by babyfaceafrica: 7:29pm On Mar 21, 2017
This law will not have any effect....people will still continue to do it because it is their culture...and people who think it is only SW that this things occurs have never truly travelled!!....

8 Likes

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Nobody: 7:30pm On Mar 21, 2017
Afon.. grin

9 Likes

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Guestlander: 7:38pm On Mar 21, 2017
There are more pressing issues like killer herdsmen, inter ethnic killings, ritualistic murders, jungle justice and many more.
Our leaders should stay focused on important issues rather than compelling people to wear uniform and writing legislation against tribal marks.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by Nobody: 8:12pm On Mar 21, 2017
Afonjas will not like this

29 Likes

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by slurryeye: 8:13pm On Mar 21, 2017
Nice bill

For those shouting Afonja. Google Ichi scarification

Tribal marks or scarification is a west african identification mark

24 Likes

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by martineverest(m): 8:13pm On Mar 21, 2017
They can ban Yoruba own.... I like edo tribal mark. They make one like cute

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate by rawpadgin(m): 8:13pm On Mar 21, 2017
n

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osinbajo: Concerns About CAMA Can Be Addressed Through Ammendments / FG Begins Recovery Of ₦100 Billion From Lottery Operators / Segun Awosanya: Obi's Supporters Are Violating Freedom Of Expression Of Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.