Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,001 members, 7,799,433 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers (26730 Views)

Impeach Buhari: Court Orders National Assembly To Begin Process / Buhari Breaks Ramadan Fast With National Assembly Leaders / NASS Pleads With Nigerians To Stop Tweeting At Him. See Reactions From Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by HiddenShadow: 4:18pm On Mar 22, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
lol

Which kind economies be this o? Lower interest rate will chase investors? Choi

So what is chasing investors now? And how come most developing countries lower their interesting to boost small scale which is the main back bone of economy? E.g china.

Are those countries economies exporting or
importing in nature
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Earth2Metahuman: 4:22pm On Mar 22, 2017
HiddenShadow:

Are those countries economies exporting or
importing in nature
china exports as much as it imports.

You still haven't told us how lower lending rate for small scale will chase investor.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by izzou(m): 4:27pm On Mar 22, 2017
Nellybii:

And what is the significance of the 1$ to naira?
Can you explain further?
All these learners on nairaland forming economic experts do you know that the exchange rate of Japanese Yen to Dollar is 112? Do you know that Japanese economy is the world's third largest economy by GDP and the world's 4th largest economy by purchasing power parity? Do you also know that Japan has less than 4% unemployment rate? It may interest you further that the average Japanese monthly wage is $8000.
This means that the exchange rate to dollar does not actually determine how strong an economy is. Their are a lot of other indexes that matter too.

Stop displaying your ignorance. But you cried when it was falling abi?

Don't let people see this rubbish you wrote. Better edit it

1 Like

Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by HiddenShadow: 4:28pm On Mar 22, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
china exports as much as it imports.

You still haven't told us how lower lending rate for small scale will chase investor.

Your Yoruba sister is looking at lower interest rates for small businesses run mainly by the Igbos which seems good for us but she is not seeing the big picture

The big picture is that we must increase our dollar inflow and one way to do that is to make investment into our economy mouthwatering through higher interest until oil rebounds or we find out other sources of dollar inflow since we import almost everything including toothpicks.

Get the picture

Emefiele is looking at the dollar inflow and foreign reserve because there are the pillars on which our import based economy rest on.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Earth2Metahuman: 4:32pm On Mar 22, 2017
[s]
HiddenShadow:

Your Yoruba sister is looking at lower interest rates for small businesses run mainly by the Igbos which seems good for us but she is not seeing the big picture

The big picture is that we must increase our dollar inflow and one way to do that is to make investment into our economy mouthwatering through higher interest until oil rebounds or we find out other sources of dollar inflow since we import almost everything including toothpicks.

Get the picture

Emefiele is looking at the dollar inflow and foreign reserve because there are the pillars on which our import based economy rest on.
[/s] *facepalm*

I'm talking to a mor0n
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by HiddenShadow: 4:39pm On Mar 22, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
[s][/s] *facepalm*
I'm talking to a mor0n
You mean your father or mother
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Richvine(m): 4:42pm On Mar 22, 2017
Too dangerous for economy, CBN should work on Monetary policies while the Govt. work on fiscal.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by agaba77: 4:54pm On Mar 22, 2017
Kemi Adeosun is over her head. Dont blame CBN for your incompetence madam borrow borrow with nothing to show,

1 Like

Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Kiakia(m): 4:58pm On Mar 22, 2017
Really? This is preposterous!
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Nellybii: 5:04pm On Mar 22, 2017
izzou:

Stop displaying your ignorance. But you cried when it was falling abi?

Don't let people see this rubbish you wrote. Better edit it

Am now pretty sure am quoting a JAMB candidate.
Sorry for the misconception. I honestly thought I could relate with you intelligently.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Egalitarian1: 5:19pm On Mar 22, 2017
Hon Minister,
You better resign if you don't know what to do than taking us backwards. On the contrary, you may be needing industrial training at Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala's chamber. Yeye dey smell! A bad workman often quarrel with his tools

2 Likes

Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by ivili(m): 5:26pm On Mar 22, 2017
2muchopoTBdope:
Buy ur whistle here!!!
wetin we go use the whistle do?not kill person with laugh.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by davidif: 5:42pm On Mar 22, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
She is right.

Imagine ministry of finance suggesting a low interest rate for small scale business while a capitalist dunderhead at cbn insist on high interest rate.

Cut cbn power now.

Actually, she is wrong. They are both supposed to be independent. The job of the ministry of finance is fiscal policy (govt expenditures etc) while the job of the central bank is supposed to be monetary policy (setting interest rates by controlling the money supply in the economy).
In fact, the central bank is supposed to be completely independent of the govt. They are supposed to make decisions independently from the President. I can't even imagine Donald Trump beginning to tell Janet Yelken what to do. You would see an uproar over here.

Now having said all that, this is a scary situation. You are supposed to have the ministry of finance and the CBN partnering and working together but they seem to be in confrontation with one another.

1 Like

Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by davidif: 5:46pm On Mar 22, 2017
Truth234:

That is one of the reasons we are where are now. Wasn't Okonjo there when the economy started current downward trend? The truth is there is lack of confluence between monetary and fiscal policies, and until both complement each other we won't have a balanced economic policy.

Wrong! That's not how economies work. Both entities are supposed to be independent of each other. That's how stuff works in most modern economies. The problem to me seems to be that Mrs. Adeosun seems to have run out of ideas.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by davidif: 5:47pm On Mar 22, 2017
Gomeromo1:
This call from madam Kemi just confirms her incompetence. She is supposed to be providing leadership to the CBN and not cry like someone who has been given a task too big for her.

Nope. She is not supposed to be providing leadership to the central bank. They are supposed to be independent of each other. That's how things work in advanced economies.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by davidif: 5:51pm On Mar 22, 2017
Nellybii:

And what is the significance of the 1$ to naira?
Can you explain further?
All these learners on nairaland forming economic experts do you know that the exchange rate of Japanese Yen to Dollar is 112? Do you know that Japanese economy is the world's third largest economy by GDP and the world's 4th largest economy by purchasing power parity? Do you also know that Japan has less than 4% unemployment rate? It may interest you further that the average Japanese monthly wage is $8000.
This means that the exchange rate to dollar does not actually determine how strong an economy is. Their are a lot of other indexes that matter too.

Finally! Someone on her who knows how economics works. The level of ignorance in economics in this country is staggering.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by davidif: 5:52pm On Mar 22, 2017
naijarates2017:

Lower interest rate, will make Nigeria unattractive to investors, which will lead to the main inflation.

Tell that to a small business owner trying to get a loan from a bank.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by davidif: 5:55pm On Mar 22, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
lol

Which kind economies be this o? Lower interest rate will chase investors? Choi

So what is chasing investors now? And how come most developing countries lower their interesting to boost small scale which is the main back bone of economy? E.g china.

Actually he is right. People want to invest in an economy where they are going to get higher returns hence he reason why interest rates are important to some investors.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Truth234(m): 5:57pm On Mar 22, 2017
davidif:

Wrong! That's not how economies work. Both entities are supposed to be independent of each other. That's how stuff works in most modern economies. The problem to me seems to be that Mrs. Adeosun seems to have run out of ideas.

Lol.. look at the way you said wrong to what you have no idea about. Listen, European Central Bank has repeatedly called on its members to complement monetary measures (quantitative easing) with fiscal stimulus. Exactly what Taro Aso and Haruhiko Kuroda of Japan Central Bank are doing. Even Mark Carney of Bank of England would seek to do the same thing to manage UK exit from EU if his tenure is extended beyond June.

Without us having a sync monetary and fiscal policies. I am sorry we won't have a balanced economic policy and will continue to struggle. I just replied you, normally I won't.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by davidif: 5:59pm On Mar 22, 2017
Truth234:

Lol.. look at the way you said wrong to what you have no idea about. Listen, European Central Bank has repeatedly called on its members to complement monetary measures (quantitative easing) with fiscal stimulus. Exactly what Taro Aso and Haruhiko Kuroda of Japan Central Bank are doing. Even Mark Carney of Bank of England would seek to do the same thing to manage UK exit from EU if his tenure is extended beyond June.

I just replied you, normally I won't.

They can work hand in hand but they are INDEPENDENT of each other. The fact that I am in a partnership with you does not mean that you are my boss and get to tell me what to do.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Earth2Metahuman: 6:00pm On Mar 22, 2017
davidif:

Actually he is right. People want to invest in an economy where they are going to get higher returns hence he reason why interest rates are important to some investors.
so how does reduced lending rate for small scale business affects foreign investors?
And why did investors run away despite higher interest rate?

Where are you people crawling out from self

1 Like

Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Truth234(m): 6:01pm On Mar 22, 2017
davidif:

They can work hand in hand but they are INDEPENDENT of each other. The fact that I am in a partnership with you does not mean that you are my boss and get to tell me what to do.

A lot of you have no idea how these things work. It is an economy, an ITEM.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by davidif: 6:08pm On Mar 22, 2017
Truth234:

A lot of you have no idea how these things work. It is an economy, an ITEM.

Actually, its keeping in line with global economic best practices . They are both supposed to be independent. The job of the ministry of finance is fiscal policy (govt expenditures etc) while the job of the central bank is supposed to be monetary policy (setting interest rates by controlling the money supply in the economy).
In fact, the central bank is supposed to be completely independent of the govt. They are supposed to make decisions independently from the President. I can't even imagine Donald Trump beginning to tell Janet Yelken what to do. You would see an uproar over here.

Now having said all that, this is a scary situation. You are supposed to have the ministry of finance and the CBN partnering and working together but they seem to be in confrontation with one another. Not a good sign.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by izzou(m): 6:33pm On Mar 22, 2017
Nellybii:

Am now pretty sure am quoting a JAMB candidate.
Sorry for the misconception. I honestly thought I could relate with you intelligently.

Am sure you now see how dumb you sounded

I forgive you tho

cool
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Nellybii: 7:14pm On Mar 22, 2017
davidif:

Finally! Someone on her who knows how economics works. The level of ignorance in economics in this country is staggering.

Honestly most Nigerian youth are becoming emptier and lazier by the day.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Nellybii: 7:16pm On Mar 22, 2017
izzou:

Am sure you now see how dumb you sounded

I forgive you tho

cool

You are just too empty to hold any intelligent conversation without being flogged. Best is to ignore you and pity your condition. Sorry!! Pele!! Maybe the guy above me can explain to you. Am tired of teaching with koboko.!!
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by izzou(m): 7:29pm On Mar 22, 2017
Nellybii:

You are just too empty to hold any intelligent conversation without being flogged. Best is to ignore you and pity your condition. Sorry!! Pele!! Maybe the guy above me can explain to you. Am tired of teaching with koboko.!!

I asked you a simple question. If the exchange rate didn't matter to the economy, why were we groaning when It was almost 600 to a dollar?

Instead of you to answer this,you decided to show me how you graduated from Harvard

Don't quote me again. Take your expertise to those who are swimming with you In ignorance

Cheers
cool
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by davidif: 7:39pm On Mar 22, 2017
Nellybii:

Honestly most Nigerian youth are becoming emptier and lazier by the day.

You can't blame them now, you don't know what you don't know abi?
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by KINGOFTHEEAST: 7:57pm On Mar 22, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
She is right.

Imagine ministry of finance suggesting a low interest rate for small scale business while a capitalist dunderhead at cbn insist on high interest rate.

Cut cbn power now.anyway the woman na polytechnic product
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Unimaginable123: 8:23pm On Mar 22, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
She is right.

Cut cbn power now.
CBN did not. Monetary Policy Committee did. Committe, whose member include Permanent Secretary Federal Ministry of Finance, Accountant General of the Federation and other 4 appointees of the President.

1 Like

Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Earth2Metahuman: 8:25pm On Mar 22, 2017
Unimaginable123:
CBN did not. Monetary Policy Committee did. Committe, whose member include Permanent Secretary Federal Ministry of Finance, Accountant General of the Federation and other 4 appointees of the President.
link please.
Re: Adeosun Pleads With National Assembly To Cut CBN Governor’s Powers by Unimaginable123: 8:53pm On Mar 22, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
link please.
Google CBN act. Check the composition and functions of MPC pls. Tried to upload it, but it was large.
The composition is
CBN Governor - Chairman
4 Deputy Governors of CBN
2 Board members (appointed by the the President)
3 members (appointed by president)
2 members (appointed by CBN Governor)
And since the Governor and Deputy Governors are appointed by the President, it is safe to say that 10 members of the committee are appointed by the president

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adamawa People Honour Osinbajo Because Of His Loyalty To Buhari (Photos) / Taiwo Street Off Ago Palace Way Flooded After The Rain / Photos Of Governor Ambode At The Experience 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.