Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating (7252 Views)

For Tailors Here, Which Manual Sewing Machine Is The Best, And How Much??? / Price Of Sewing Machine / THIS GOOD BRAND NEW SEWING MACHINE IS FOR SALE (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by SpicyMimi(f): 1:30pm On Mar 22, 2017
Hello guys, I have been making dresses for a while now...
Anyways, I just got this sewing machine "Singer" last year at Mushin and since then, its been one frustration to the other...in fact, I find no smooth passion in making dresses like I used to.
Now the problem I'm facing with it currently, it's the cutting of thread. It seems my machine hates thick fabrics or lace fabrics. Each time I try to use it on one, it keeps cutting, creating gaps, jamming etc I usually hissing each time I use it. But my neighbors machine works great and better, I almost felt like exchanging this new one for her old one.
I have changed needles for quite a number of times, currently the only needle that works for it is " Violin HA 16/18" and even with that, it doesn't works well on lace fabrics or thick fabrics.
Please what do you think could be the problem, cause I'm at the edge of losing my passion for making dresses.
Thank you.
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by SpicyMimi(f): 1:33pm On Mar 22, 2017
Cc: Lalasticlala
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 22, 2017
When does the thread cut?

Is it while sewing?

Or immediately you paddle the machine?.

I'm NOT a sewing machine repairer... Or an expert when it comes to sewing machines....but i could be of "little" help.
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by SpicyMimi(f): 1:58pm On Mar 22, 2017
debdave:
When does the thread cut?

Is it while sewing?

Or immediately you paddle the machine?.

I'm NOT a sewing machine repairer... Or an expert when it comes to sewing machines....but i could be of "little" help.
Awwwwwh thanks a lot!!!!
It cuts while sewing, especially when hitting a slightly hard part on the fabric.
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by Freethought(m): 1:58pm On Mar 22, 2017
Well, you myt wanna ask yur neighbour to be of help since he/she has little or no issue with his/her own
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by SpicyMimi(f): 2:04pm On Mar 22, 2017
Freethought:
Well, you myt wanna ask yur neighbour to be of help since he/she has little or no issue with his/her own
He tried too...
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by Nobody: 2:10pm On Mar 22, 2017
SpicyMimi:

Awwwwwh thanks a lot!!!!
It cuts while sewing, especially when hitting a slightly hard part on the fabric.
Okay.

1-How about oiling the thread you're using?(i.e...pouring the machine oil on the thread OR putting the thread inside water).

2-You can also check/change your shuttle or riller(or be sure the thread on the riller is tight enough).

3-How about sewing really slow...when you get to the hard part of the fabric.

All in all.... Always oil your machine on daily basis.

NOTE-Apply all this suggestion..even when you're not experiencing difficulty sewing. Whether hard or soft fabric(s).

If after trying all these,and still no progress. Call a machine repairer. They'll know what to do.

Hope i made sense....

1 Like

Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by SpicyMimi(f): 2:20pm On Mar 22, 2017
debdave:

Okay.

1-How about oiling the thread you're using?(i.e...pouring the machine oil on the thread OR putting the thread inside water).

2-You can also check/change your shuttle or riller(or be sure the thread on the riller is tight enough).

3-How about sewing really slow...when you get to the hard part of the fabric.

All in all.... Always oil your machine on daily basis.

NOTE-Apply all this suggestion..even when you're not experiencing difficulty sewing. Whether hard or soft fabric(s).

If after trying all these,and still no progress. Call a machine repairer. They'll know what to do.

Hope i made sense....
Woooooooow!!!!
Thank you so much and God bless you much!!!!
I'll do all definitely!!! Thanks once again!!!
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 22, 2017
SpicyMimi:
Woooooooow!!!! Thank you so much and God bless you much!!!! I'll do all definitely!!! Thanks once again!!!
You're welcome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by irynterri(f): 8:52pm On Mar 22, 2017
put a piece of paper on the surface of the thick cloth and sew on it, when u are done u tear the paper away, I hope u kinda understand what I mean

1 Like

Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by Nobody: 7:58am On Mar 23, 2017
irynterri:
put a piece of paper on the surface of the thick cloth and sew on it, when u are done u tear the paper away, I hope u kinda understand what I mean
I thought this works for all those stretchy kind of fabrics(i.e..all those draw draw materials) like lycra material,for example.
Cause i use this method for those kinds...
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by irynterri(f): 8:41am On Mar 23, 2017
debdave:

I thought this works for all those stretchy kind of fabrics(i.e..all those draw draw materials) like lycra material,for example.
Cause i use this method for those kinds...

it also works for stiff materials that cause seam skipping..I've done it before
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 23, 2017
irynterri:
it also works for stiff materials that cause seam skipping..I've done it before
Okay.
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by cyif2003(m): 9:20am On Mar 24, 2017
Pls what are d best best machines to buy
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by Onegai(f): 8:51am On Mar 25, 2017
I have read that sometimes it's the foot that your machine has that could be the problem. But I'll call in a few experienced tailors. Cc tatacherie, alphahandmaiden
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 12:44pm On Mar 25, 2017
Onegai:
I have read that sometimes it's the foot that your machine has that could be the problem. But I'll call in a few experienced tailors.

Cc SpicyMimi

There could be a number of reasons or a combination of issues. In addition to other suggestions that have been made:

1. Check your tension.both on the machine and on your bobbin. If it is too tight it could break your thread.

2. The quality of your thread.
Believe me cheaper thread will frustrate you beyond anything. Cheap threads snag alot and are not as strong so tend to break at the slightest tension change.

3. What foot are you using: this makes a huge difference. The standard machine foot that comes with your machine is fine for thinner and "normal" thickness of fabric. For thicker materials you will find that the bottom one is moving but the top fabric is "dragging".
I would suggest a walking foot for use on thicker fabrics or multiple layers that end up being very thick. It can be pricey but the peace of mind you get is worth it. It
It has a set of feed dogs that help to feed the top fabric at the same rate the bottom is going at.

4. Change your needle frequently. for every new project use a New needle.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by SpicyMimi(f): 10:21pm On Mar 26, 2017
AlphaHandMaiden:

Cc SpicyMimi

There could be a number of reasons or a combination of issues. In addition to other suggestions that have been made:

1. Check your tension.both on the machine and on your bobbin. If it is too tight it could break your thread.

Believe me cheaper thread will frustrate you beyond anything. Cheap threads snag alot and are not as strong so tend to break at the slightest tension change.

3. What foot are you using: this makes a huge difference. The standard machine foot that comes with your machine is fine for thinner and "normal" thickness of fabric. For thicker materials you will find that the bottom one is moving but the top fabric is "dragging".
I would suggest a walking foot for use on thicker fabrics or multiple layers that end up being very thick. It can be pricey but the peace of mind you get is worth it. It
It has a set of feed dogs that help to feed the top fabric at the same rate the bottom is going at.

Hope this helps.

Extremely helpful!!!! I thought about the threads too, but how do I differentiate a quality one from a less quality one? Hummm.
I have tge bad habit of using one needle for weeks loool I'll work on that too. Thank you so much!!!
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 11:08pm On Mar 26, 2017
SpicyMimi:

Extremely helpful!!!! I thought about the threads too, but how do I differentiate a quality one from a less quality one? Hummm.
I have tge bad habit of using one needle for weeks loool I'll work on that too. Thank you so much!!!

You may find this useful.

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/blog/simple-tip-determine-thread-quality/

1 Like

Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 27, 2017
AlphaHandMaiden:

Morning mam,pls can you help with suggestion on the best Sewing Machine to buy for a beginner and what to look out for when choosing one,thanks ma.
sorry mam spicymim for hijacking ur thread.
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by Onegai(f): 12:58pm On Mar 27, 2017
Wait, you're supposed to change your needles with every new project??

So if I'm sewing throw pillows, for every throw pillow, new needle?

(BTW, don't even have sewing machine and cannot even sew straight grin)

I notice everyone online using computerized machines, do they give a stronger stitch or are easier to thread?
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 5:10pm On Mar 27, 2017
Onegai:
Wait, you're supposed to change your needles with every new project??

So if I'm sewing throw pillows, for every throw pillow, new needle?

(BTW, don't even have sewing machine and cannot even sew straight grin)

I notice everyone online using computerized machines, do they give a stronger stitch or are easier to thread?

Every major project. If you are sewing small items, regularly every few weeks or so is ideal.

Must confess i am actually quite lazy about this, but i do a bit of quilting and using an old needle is not it at all.

As for the computerisation.... it all depends on what you want to do. If doing embroidery and loads of decorative stuff then its fab, but if its just basic sewing, the non- computerised ones are just fine. Besides who really uses all the 5 million stitches that most of them come with. Lol!

The theeading is quite easy on modern machines and quite easy to do. A guide is even printed on the body of the machine so even if you forget, you dont have to start looking for manual... grin

Some have features that make sewing easier like needle down so when you take your leg off the paddle the needle always engages, automatic back stitch and finer stitch lenght adjustments. So totally up to you.

Cc. KingDerin

Both singer and janome do good entry level machines. With a few basic stitches ( straight stitch, zig zag, 3 point zig zag for sewing elastic, hem stitce, buttonhole, one or two decorative stitches)
Free arm - easy sewing of things like sleeves, trouser hems and other small cylinderical items.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by Nobody: 11:35pm On Mar 27, 2017
[quote author=AlphaHandMaiden post=54980448] Thank u so much mam.
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by Onegai(f): 9:00am On Mar 31, 2017
I have been told by professionals that good brands are ranked high to low like Husqvarna, Bernina, Janome, Juki and moving down lower, Necchi, Brother, Singer all in that order. That it's better to buy a secondhand of the first 5 brands than brand-new of most Singers, a few Brothers and almost all Butterfly. Better stitch quality and ease of use. And older machines were built of metal rather than newer models with too many stitches you won't use and built with plastic that doesn't last as long.

If I see a Husqvarna sewing machine and Janome/Juki serger, secondhand, I'll pick it up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 9:45am On Mar 31, 2017
Onegai:
I have been told by professionals that good brands are ranked high to low like Husqvarna, Bernina, Janome, Juki and moving down lower, Necchi, Brother, Singer all in that order. That it's better to buy a secondhand of the first 5 brands than brand-new of most Singers, a few Brothers and almost all Butterfly. Better stitch quality and ease of use. And older machines were built of metal rather than newer models with too many stitches you won't use and built with plastic that doesn't last as long.

If I see a Husqvarna sewing machine and Janome/Juki serger, secondhand, I'll pick it up.

Before you slag off the plastic machines, they use plastic to reduce the weight and are quite light and easy to cart around with you. , bear in mind that you will be hard pressed to find ANY new domestic sewing machine that is not plastic. Except you go buy an older machine. Or you get an industrial machine ..... which are not cheap.

However if buying second hand you reaaaaaally need to trust who you buy it from so they dont sell you a nice looking metal shell wih crap inside.

Also if you buy domestic machines and use them for industrial type work...... ofcourse it will just cough and die one day.... so there are many factors to be considered.

2 Likes

Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by SpicyMimi(f): 3:28pm On Apr 08, 2017
AlphaHandMaiden:

I thank you so much!!!!

Thank you everyone, I have figured the problem out with God's help. It turned out I didn't reset my machine to use strong needles like "DP" My machine was only using Violin HA, which isn't good for thick fabrics. So now I got no worries, thank you everyone and God bless you all.
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by SpicyMimi(f): 2:09pm On Apr 17, 2017
AlphaHandMaiden:

Cc SpicyMimi

Hope this helps.

Good afternoon,
Well. I thought I had found solution to the problem of my machine but I doubt it. I came back to read your comment again and realized the foot might be the problem. I have been trying sew a thick fabric and its been hell! The gap, the cutting of thread etc right now I'm so frustrated and I feel like crying. I have used other people's machine in the past and they weren't this frustrating....I'm so so tired ?!!!
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by cyif2003(m): 7:58am On May 08, 2017
Good day. Pls I want to buy an industrial sewing machine for straight sewing.... it is advisable to buy a new one or fairly used one? Also any brand in mind and possibly d amount it may cost? Pls reply
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 8:24am On May 08, 2017
SpicyMimi:

Good afternoon,
Well. I thought I had found solution to the problem of my machine but I doubt it. I came back to read your comment again and realized the foot might be the problem. I have been trying sew a thick fabric and its been hell! The gap, the cutting of thread etc right now I'm so frustrated and I feel like crying. I have used other people's machine in the past and they weren't this frustrating....I'm so so tired ?!!!

Hi. Sorry i am just replying.

Any luck with changing the feet and seeing if the sewing improves?
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by SpicyMimi(f): 10:37am On May 08, 2017
AlphaHandMaiden:

Hi. Sorry i am just replying.

Any luck with changing the feet and seeing if the sewing improves?

So sorry I didn't update you all....
Hummmmm.....can you all believe I have been suffering over my machine for no reasons? Since I bought the machine last year December, I have been inserting the needle the wrong way. With my machine, the needle that should face outside, faces inside instead so I have been using it all these while the wrong way. I can't even believe I have been making dresses with it that way, tho with so much difficulties. Just last month, a machine repairer with the help of God figured it out for me and right now....saying I'm enjoying my machine is an understatement oooo! I can work on any thick fabrics and can go really fast without issues of thread cutting off and my sewing is now so neat! To God be the Glory!!!! Thank you so much and God bless you all!!!

2 Likes

Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 9:17pm On May 08, 2017
SpicyMimi:

Hummmmm.....can you all believe I have been suffering over my machine for no reasons? Since I bought the machine last year December, I have been inserting the needle the wrong way. With my machine, the needle that should face outside, faces inside instead so I have been using it all these while the wrong way. I can't even believe I have been making dresses with it that way, tho with so much difficulties. Just last month, a machine repairer with the help of God figured it out for me and right now....saying I'm enjoying my machine is an understatement oooo! I can work on any thick fabrics and can go really fast without issues of thread cutting off and my sewing is now so neat! To God be the Glory!!!! Thank you so much and God bless you all!!!

Ha ha ha .

Good to know its all resolved

2 Likes

Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by MrChilaka(m): 2:09pm On May 31, 2017
SpicyMimi:

Congratulations! Going forward also take time out to clean & oil your machine and do other preventive maintenance. Same way humans need to bath so also machines wink
Re: My Sewing Machine Is Extremely Frustrating by SpicyMimi(f): 3:49pm On May 31, 2017
MrChilaka:

Congratulations! Going forward also take time out to clean & oil your machine and do other preventive maintenance. Same way humans need to bath so also machines wink
Thanks a lot wink wink cheesy loooool I'll do that * winks*

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

21 Fabulous Ankara Styles / Ms World UN Launches Pageantry To Advance Sdgs, Humanitarianism In Abuja / Latest Ankara Long Gown Styles And Designs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.