Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,827 members, 7,802,645 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Plight Of A Kogi State University Graduate - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Plight Of A Kogi State University Graduate (583 Views)

Hadiza Balarabe Receives Joshua Beckford, Oxford University Graduate At 14 / Fresh University Graduate Awaiting NYSC Dies In Her Sleep / Leg Of Kogi University Graduate Crushed By Student During Celebration (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plight Of A Kogi State University Graduate by princecool29(m): 4:28pm On Mar 22, 2017
My name is? Withheld for security reasons , and the picture you are seeing below is the NYSC timetable for the batch A set of 2017. I am here to tell you the relationship between that little picture and I. It might spell joy for a lot of people seeing the much anticipated timetable, but for me, it may be the replay of a sorry tale, because this de javu is obviously very strong. Let me take you on a trip down memory lane, please do not mind the bore.
On the 2nd of December, 2015, I officially bade farewell to any form of written examination in the Kogi State University. I can still remember that day with nostalgia, swaggering out of the examination hall, beaming with infectious smile as I ran into the waiting arms of my sister who had earlier come with her ever loyal friend to show me support. It was indeed a day of unparalleled joy. We were soon congratulating ourselves, even when it was clear we still had the almighty project defense before us, which had generated a whole lot of controversies amidst sparkling debates of defending something that was conspicuously copied or to submit it and just get the hell out of school. No, that was not a deterring factor, we jubilated like we just finished a very herculean task excellently.
Trouble started looming when two months after our final paper, we could not lay claims to being graduates of Kogi State University, even after our mates in other “four years bracket” department had long gone. We were still loitering the streets and grounds of Anyigba awaiting what was to be the greatest fluke ever; our PROJECT DEFENSE. Parents were becoming apprehensive, especially parents of those of us that had friends in other department and we stayed in the same place. Money was fast burning out, we were outliving our time in the school. But we still persevered in our suffering and smiling state. After what seemed like eternity, we later scaled through. We could now be called bonafide products of the Kogi State University.
Characteristically of many African homes, we were welcomed with much fanfare which we knew at the back of our mind, was going cave in due to the law of diminishing marginal utility. We were soon going to outlive our value(utility) before their eyes. But we were unbothered because we thought it was not going to last for long, since the compulsory youth service was just months throw away. That was not to be, because that was when trouble showed itself and Kasala started looming.
We missed the batch A of that year (2016) around April, which was supposed to be our train, but by factors beyond our control or so it seemed, we missed it. We were still unpertubed, because at least we were still fresh, a wait of few more months will do us no harm. Between the months of April and December, a lot happened, a lot of miraculously awful things.
Rumours were flying around that our result had issues. It was reported that the school’s senate had turned our result to a perpetually rejected stone, which was never ever going to turn out to be the legendary corner stone. We took the report with a pinch. We had time for them to rectify every mistake before the next batch, which by our estimate was to be around November-December or so we thought. We remained indifferent. The batch B timetable was later released. It was greeted with so much happiness. At last, a fresh of breath air, because at this point, we had finished using our value at home, infact, we were living on borrowed values. Calls were soon flying in. Chats were arriving in torrents. We were obviously elated. Camp here we come!!! Then it started happening.
Firstly, it was reported that we were not going to make that batch because our results had issues. God forbid! We all retorted. It was never going to happen. Our mates in other departments were well prepared and we can never be exceptions. A lot of panic calls were made, a lot of visitations to important people who held sway in the school and of course my department, ECONOMICS. Then came the assuring words that nothing will hold us back. We were soon back to square “hope”. Infact this time around, some of us had started pooling resources to ensure we had a memorable camping experience.
Again, it was reported that our result was taken to the senate council and for the umpteenth time, rejected again. At this point, time was fast running out. It was now a race between us and time. This time, the panic just got real. A lot of people shuffled between their place of residence and the school, interceding on our behalf. A lot of good hearted people risked their lives, money, comfort and everything at their disposal just to plead for our cause. We were relegated to square “faith”. Since faith is the substance of things hoped for and evidence of things not seen, we became hopeful again. We were urged to pray, we prayed. Then like a tidal wave, our hopes were raised again. They said the hard copies of our result had been sent to the NYSC headquarters and we can check for our names at an unspecified date. We checked still, every day, every hour, every minutes and seconds. There was nothing, save for a miracle that happened, the miracle can be likened to that of the wedding at cana. A specially picked candidate was anointed to go and represent us at the camp. This special specie was anointed by the powers that be, the who are whos, the timbers and plywoods.
All hope of making that batch was lost when our mates started collecting their call up letters and we were still at home, sulking and licking our wounds like stray dogs. A lot of questions arose; what do we do with our lives from December till June of 2017, which was going to be the next batch. We were comforted with words like; God’s time is the best, what if you go to camp and you die on your way back, what if this is a way of God preparing something good for you. But, they have forgotten that Nigeria’s employees wants you to be a graduate with 15 years of experience and not less than 21 years of age as of the time of application. We still surged forward, assured of the next batch. Six months wait won’t kill and if there is anything to be thankful for, it is the gift of life.
Then, the constant "k" of most public institutions in Nigeria played out again in our school. Our school turned to their “Sango” and “Amadioha” side. They once again STRIKED!!! This was sometimes around January this year. This was however not the school’s fault since they were literarily working on empty stomach right before the decision to embark on the industrial action. There was a total paralysis of activities, since it was a general strike; academic and non-academic. I empathized with them, since this was a fight against injustice and in solidarity, I joined in the condemnation of every forces working against their wellbeing and welfare. But a part of me was scared and I could say the same for my other colleagues. Even when we had gotten our statements of result, which we held unto as a form of succor, we still needed just one tiny little help from the school; uploading our names on the NYSC portal when the time comes, since this was the primary factor that led to our missing out of the last batch. And that was never going to happen when the school was on total shutdown. We prayed for a fast resolution of any conflict between the State government and its workers while we anticipated the timetable for this year’s Youth Service.
You can imagine my shock when I got a copy of the timetable yesterday and discovered the school only has between 10th to 16th of April, 2017 to upload our names. This doesn’t look good atall. This is less than a month. What becomes of all of us ECO’15 students? What if the school doesn’t open before 10th of this month? This is not a case of only ASUU being on strike, this is a case of a total clampdown. How do we explain to our parents that we are likely to miss this next batch? How do we answer the jeering question, “You never still serve?” How do we crossover this bridge and be able to eventually face the future we have always planned for? When do we get to start actually working towards achieving what we have set as goals?
It is on this note that I call on all the people that I am going to be tagging to please contact those that knows those that knows those that knows the people that knows somebodies within the Kogi State Government. Please help us plead our cause. Help us tell the governor to answer our lecturers. Tell them we can’t be battling national recession, at the same time fighting personal depression. If you know somebody that knows somebody in students’ affairs unit, Kogi State University, Anyigba, please tell them we are tired. Tell them, we don’t want to be forgotten. Tell them to please pull us out of this present quagmire. Oya, start tagging and mentioning those people, let them come to our aid. Everyone should fall in and let us deliberate on the way forward. Even if it means fixing a date for us to storm KSU. Please and please and please. #reopenKSU
#Istandwithjustice

Re: Plight Of A Kogi State University Graduate by princecool29(m): 4:31pm On Mar 22, 2017
PLS lalasticlala, and fynestboi FP......
Re: Plight Of A Kogi State University Graduate by Oduduwatic: 5:04pm On Mar 22, 2017
This is why i dont criticize those who call Nigeria a zoo despite being a yoruba.

Op i hope you dont support the killing of unarmed people like i dont. All will be well.

BTW you write well.

1 Like

Re: Plight Of A Kogi State University Graduate by SeyiObj: 6:15pm On Mar 22, 2017
This is critical... I can feel your pain Bro.... I pray God intervene asap

1 Like

Re: Plight Of A Kogi State University Graduate by princecool29(m): 6:34am On Mar 23, 2017
Oduduwatic:
This is why i dont criticize those who call Nigeria a zoo despite being a yoruba.

Op i hope you dont support the killing of unarmed people like i dont. All will be well.

BTW you write well.

Thanks I don't either. May God help us all
Re: Plight Of A Kogi State University Graduate by princecool29(m): 6:35am On Mar 23, 2017
SeyiObj:
This is critical... I can feel your pain Bro.... I pray God intervene asap
Amen oh

(1) (Reply)

World Bank PAN African Scholarship 2017 / UNI UYO Official Webpage Hacked. / I Need Urgent Answer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.