Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

Jaguar Xf Or Audi - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Jaguar Xf Or Audi (37525 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Between 2010 Jaguar XF And Mercedes Benz E Class / Vw Passat Or Audi A4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Onwan: 12:58am On Dec 22, 2009
My wife likes the design too anyway, BUT she prefers the Jag for me anyday anytime
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by platinumnk(f): 1:12am On Dec 22, 2009
LOL when will u value the quality ?

audi's engine over jaguar.

Drivetrain
The Jaguar XF's engine is substantially smaller than the S6's. Remember that a smaller engine usually has to work a little harder; on the other hand, smaller engines typically get better gas mileage. The XF could learn a lesson or two from the Audi S6 as far as torque. The S6 packs quite a punch compared to the XF as far as torque, which is the force that lets you accelerate quickly.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by mamagee3(f): 1:27am On Dec 22, 2009
Jaguar rocks my world!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Onwan: 1:46am On Dec 22, 2009
Thats a comparison between the Jaguar XF and the Audi S6 engines. This post compares a different set of vehicle models.

By the way, Jaguar has a matching model with equal torque. The top car manufacturers make models to match a competitors'. Thats been my view from the onset. BUT Im with Jag, all day everyday.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by AloyEmeka9: 5:45am On Dec 22, 2009
Siena:

Both cars are not directly comparable - the Jaguar is a 4-door saloon, while the Audi A5 is a 2-door coupe.

A better comparison with the Jaguar XF would be the Audi A6 C6.

With Jaguar being owned by Ford now, build quality is not what it used to be, as disgruntled owners have attested.
A5 comes in 4 doors too.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by AloyEmeka9: 5:48am On Dec 22, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Hahahahahahaha.
In terms of power, Audi, na father
In terms of handle, Audi na father
In terms of Durability, Audi na grandfather
In terms of resale value, Audi is great
In terms of design, Audi won

In terms of being a ride, Audi is just the best.

Good one. Audi is the best machine made in Germany now. It beats the Benz, Beamer and /Opel/. The jaguar/Ford is not even close. Don't mind me for I am a biased VAG freak.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by AloyEmeka9: 5:50am On Dec 22, 2009
Siena:

There is currently no Audi A5 4-door.

The 4-door car is an Audi A4 B8. There is however, a 5-door version in the making, but not yet available. Won't be offered in the US / Canadian market though.

Just so you know brother.  wink

I will always pick Audi, and it will always be a quattro model.

The build quality of Audi currently exceeds that of current models of Mercedes Benz, which in turn exceeds the build quality of Jaguar.
Audi A5 4-door is in the US currently. What are you talking about?.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by AloyEmeka9: 5:53am On Dec 22, 2009
Onwan:

Rear views;

I am comparing the two vehicles because they have a striking resemblance in their rear views. One probably copied another. The BMW 335 coupe is close to that same rear design.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 22, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Audi A5 4-door is in the US currently. What are you talking about?.

The A5 Sportback is a 5-door, not 4.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by AloyEmeka9: 5:56pm On Dec 22, 2009
Siena:

The A5 Sportback is a 5-door, not 4.

I don't know where you saw the 5th door. All I know is Audi A5 has a 2 and 4-door specifications. May be they call it 5 doors in Afghanistan after all the British use 1-door and 2-doors while the American use 2-door and 4-doors.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Onwan: 6:31pm On Dec 22, 2009
You only need to see it in real life and know its simply a sleek 4 door sports-liner.

Like I noted, the shape of the trunk cover is the same in any sports, those terms are not practicals, they are only terms used by one manufacturer to make a same model seem to have more "features" than the exact competing model by another manufacturer.

For me its simply a 4 door sports. And its a very cool thing to integrate up to 4 doors and still keep that sports-line shape.

I'll take the jaguar still though.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Fhemmmy: 7:18pm On Dec 22, 2009
I watched some movie where Audi was used and since then, i have been a lover of Audi.
See the Q7 sef and you will halla . . . . .
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Onwan: 7:56pm On Dec 22, 2009
Ah! that Q7 is a whole new level - that model is a beauty, Its a very well built machine. That, the all-road are two very nice Audi's I like.

The thing is that manufacturers need to know what they are really good at AND not waste time trying to make every class and model a competitor makes.

Maybe its only me, BUT the 08/09 Mercedes Benz are simply like miniature or blown up versions of the other - all are looking the same and its a very stupid move. Someone has to tell you" NO, its not an E-Class, its a C Class" so its basically coming to the fact that you simply take what catches your eyes.

Me and you know that whatever model of Audi they used in that new Transporter movie was just a waste of time and money. The BMW version of transporter made that model.

I dont know if anyone has seen in real life the Volkswagen Phaeton. Its very grand. (And then again you simply find out they had the old 7 series BMW in mind when they were designing it)

Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Onwan: 7:58pm On Dec 22, 2009
Phaeton rear

Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by AloyEmeka9: 6:38am On Dec 23, 2009
Onwan:

I dont know if anyone has seen in real life the Volkswagen Phaeton. Its very grand. (And then again you simply find out they had the old 7 series BMW in mind when they were designing it)

What is the difference between the VW phaeton and Audi S8?. Same concept, same design, different brand names.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Onwan: 9:25am On Dec 23, 2009
Excatly my point
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 23, 2009
on't know about anyone else, but jAG IS IT FOR ME. oNCE TALKED ABOUT jAG SO MUCH THAT A FRIEND HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO BUY THE X-TYPE AS HIS FIRST CAR.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 24, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

What is the difference between the VW phaeton and Audi S8?. Same concept, same design, different brand names.

They have a different range of engines.

Greatest difference is their construction - the Volkswagen Phaeton is a conventional steel unibody, while the Audi S8 is an aluminium-constructed car. In Audi lingo, ASF (Audi Space Frame). Substantially lighter than the steel Phaeton, the manufacturing process is completely different.

And a lot more expensive.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Fhemmmy: 8:38pm On Dec 24, 2009
Siena:

They have a different range of engines.

Greatest difference is their construction - the Volkswagen Phaeton is a conventional steel unibody, while the Audi S8 is an aluminium-constructed car. In Audi lingo, ASF (Audi Space Frame). Substantially lighter than the steel Phaeton, the manufacturing process is completely different.

And a lot more expensive.

Your knowledge of Automobiles makes my jaw drop.
I really salute you.
Na you biko
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by 4Play(m): 8:41pm On Dec 24, 2009
You know that you have hit middle age when you love to drive Jaguars.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Fhemmmy: 5:27am On Dec 25, 2009
4 Play:

You know that you have hit middle age when you love to drive Jaguars.

That is the biggest lie from the pit of hell.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Onwan: 12:02pm On Dec 25, 2009
Can anyone advise on a BMW X5; what to look out for in buying one; 2000/2001 model. Thanks
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 25, 2009
Fhemmmy:

That is the biggest lie from the pit of hell.

Relax. Jaguars are generally driven by older men, it's not really a young person's sort of car.

Speak to a Jag salesman, and you'll find their clientele are mostly the over 45's.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Onwan: 1:07pm On Dec 25, 2009
The jag is not flashy, its classy. My take anyday
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 25, 2009
Onwan:

The jag is not flashy, its classy. My take anyday

Whilst being based on a Ford platform?

It doesn't get any better, seeing as TATA of India bought the company back in 2008.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Onwan: 1:36pm On Dec 25, 2009
Tata group from what I have seen are basically investors;

They buy a company - Telecoms (Just like they just bought Multilinks), Car Manufacturing, etc, they get the best hands and improve on a brand - NOT KILL IT.

Buying Jaguar doesn't mean bringing down the quality.

Its usually a smart move IF you buy a company (Car brand for instance) and you decide to replace the engine with a more accessible (easily repaired and parts availability) one. I absolutely have no problems with that. Afterall they havent changed the name to Tata - AND they are not making them in Tata Auto Plants.

Its all about specifications; Engine makers will put your badge on whatever specs. you ask them to make. Its simple. The question will be if the new owners will compromise the existing standard/quality. Tata Group are big and they are really huge - financially.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Onwan: 1:44pm On Dec 25, 2009
I mean you wouldn't say TATA Group compromised the standards when they bought Range Rover in 2008.

The amazing thing is that the 2008/2009/2010 models of Jaguar and Range Rovers have very very high ratings.

1 Like

Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 25, 2009
Range Rovers are the daddy of off-roaders for a reason - they were the luxury versions of the much more basic Land Rover, itself one of the most capable off-roaders ever built.

Build quality on both Landys and Ranges have never been great, with panel gaps the main focus of criticism, both by owners and the motoring press. Their off road capabilities however, are excellent, compared to some more luxurious offerings from the likes of Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes and BMW. Though, most owners spending £50,000 will hardly be taking their new cars off road.

I look at cars from an engineering point of view- I've been in the automobile industry for many years, and Jaguar has been a British institution, with opulence and luxury. However, their rust proofing has been poor, up to the 1998 XJ series, both in Saloon and Coupe form. They were rot boxes. We currently have a 1990 Jaguar XJS V12 Coupe we're restoring, and it is absolutely rotten. Engine and tranny are fine, the body and most of the floor rear section have succumbed to the Red Terror, and will require extensive welding to restore to her former glory.

On the other hand, Audi got it right in the rust proofing department, and were the first to offer a 10-year anti-corrosion warranty back in 1987, when all their cars were galvanised. Audi was a lesser known name till about 1980, when the Audi quattro was launched, and took the Motorsport world by storm, introducing all wheel drive into passenger cars, and making the concept work. Jaguar on the other hand, has been a household name since the 1950's, when Audi was part of Auto Union, i.e Wanderer, Horch, DKW and Audi (the four elements of the Audi rings).

Audi have risen to their current position, building cars with class and elegance, cars that anyone would be proud to be seen in. Jaguar have achieved less in their very long history, though the S-Type, X-Type and XF have come a long way to rectifying the defects of the earlier models, they are still not up to the standard of their German rivals. You mentioned Range Rover and Jaguar having good ratings, and I'll address that.

Jaguar has always had strong British roots, even during the Jaguar-Daimler era (Daimler is of course German). Being a British marque, it was inevitable the Jaguar would become a ministerial car, with all British Prime Ministers having them as their official cars. It was a thing of British pride to own a Jaguar - could you imagine the British Prime Minister having an Audi A8, BMW 750i or Mercedes S 420 as their official car?

The same goes for the Range Rover. Both Jaguar and Land / Range Rover share two things in common - they were both owned by British Leyland at some point, and are both unmistakably British. Range Rovers are the choice of most affluent British gentry living out in the country, not because they are the best (they are capable cars though) but because they are British. Jaguar will also appeal to a lot of Americans too, because they associate them with British royalty too. They will also relate better to the XF, as it is based on the very American Ford Thunderbird.

I have not been to the Jaguar assembly plant, I have however, been to the Audi plant in Inglostadt, Germany, and the build quality and quality control practiced needs to be seen. Some of the guys in our group have been to the Jaguar plant - indeed, 3 of them also own Jaguars, and they too admitted that Audi beat Jaguar in the quality stakes.

Audi's are classy, they are not showy cars. Which is why even the top S and RS models look not much different to the regular versions.

Did the TATA Group compromise the standards of Jaguar when they bought the company back in 2008? Only time will tell. One thing is for sure - during Ford's 10-year ownership of Jaguar, quality was compromised, not in terms of the body, but in terms of interior trim. There was a decline in sales for a while. The fact the Jaguar X-Type was essentially a re-skinned Ford Mondeo, sharing the floorpan, engine and transmission with the contemporary Mondeo range, didn't help either. Especially with the massive price differential, yet similar build quality as the much cheaper Ford. Suddenly, for the first time in over 30 years, the Ford was actually better value for money. One good thing came of the Ford input though - body build quality in the Jaguar range improved immensely, Ford had their own patent for treating the bodyshells and steel panels on their ranges, which they started in the successful Ford Focus. They applied the same technique to the Jaguar X-Type, and subsequently the rest of the Jaguar range. The Red Terror was no longer an issue, but the Ford collaboration was, and Jaguar lost a bit of their opulence despite the improvements made by the new parent company.
Re: Jaguar Xf Or Audi by Onwan: 2:58pm On Dec 25, 2009
For me its still a jaguar.

I would have bought the Range Rover advertised by Wellas (03/04) BUT my problem is the Air suspension. Its better in the recent models than the early ones.

If only there is another SUV that has that "Driver's ride" feeling like the Range Rover without the air-spring. Most SUVs are basically enjoyed by those sitting in the back or in the passenger's seat, BUT with the Range Rover (especially from 1999/2000) once in the driver's seat, you simply realise the vehicle is all about the driver - Its full, comfy, all gadgets within a very comfortable reach, the front wind shield is below your chest (way below) so you sit like ON the road, and ON top, not having to stretch to see or stress in anyway.

Is there any other SUV with that config? especially the dash layout and the front shield being that low (almost at your waist.)

I wont mind if anyone can recommend.

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Bicycle Can Be Folded, Charged And Be Used To Charge Other Devices / Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 / Pictures Of The Car That Got Burnt At Onipan Bus Stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.