Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,237 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted (12750 Views)

The Invasion Of Oyo Empire By Tsoede,The King Of Nupe In 1457 / Oyo Empire / The Fall And Rise Of The Benin Empire: A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by afonjaheadhunt: 8:46pm On Mar 22, 2017
We often read from the Yoruba media about the Oyo empire and how widespread and powerful this empire was, but no documents, finding or evidence any where in the world suggest these claims to be true only Yoruba folklore by the Yoruba revisionist elders and academicians, who have tried to rewrite their history by editing the feats of their conquerors to be That of Yorubas, but simple research or finding put all this claim to a fail test and simply portrays the Yorubas as a tribe that have been conquered since time immemorial as a matter of fact Yoruba land was split amongst to great African Kingdoms, Benin Kingdom and Dahomey kingdom this two kingdoms had their boundaries in present day south west Nigeria and shared the spoils of war within those bounds.

While every tribe in Nigeria have accounts of brutal wars with colonialist and invaders The Yorubas on their own part never confronted any of their colonialist or invaders they never challenged the Portuguese that gave Eko its name Lagos, the never confronted the British colonialists, they never challenged the Benin invaders whom became overlord in Lagos, installed a king and made Lagos a proxy of Benin kingdom, the old Oyo empire was overrun and brought to its knees by Dahomey women whom took their men as slaves, made their women maids and their children servants, The Fulani's conquered them in Illorin and installed an Emir, they Yorubas were over run by the Tiv, Nupe in Kabba and other Yoruba towns. Yorubas were simply a walk over in the history of Africa and the struggles for civilization and ethnic survival.

Yorubas claim that the Oyo empire stretches to Benin kingdom on the east and stretches to Benin republic and Togo on the west, this is one of the biggest lies ever told in the history of mankind, Africa and Nigeria as a nation. To be fair to history the reverse was actually the case. We all know that oduduwa who the Yorubas claim they are descendent from was actually a Benin prince whom went west to expand the Benin empire, the Yorubas on seeing the awe that came with the arrival and presence of Oduduwa the Benin prince pledge loyalty and support to him and rallied around him in Ile Ife which also became a Benin proxy like Lagos whom the Benins overruled. What the Yorubas refer to as Oyo empire was simply a administrative province for Benin Kingdom and Dahomey Kingdom being the center of both great empires.

On the western part it is common knowledge that the Dahomey women who from the Benin/Togo axis Present day Togo, moved and conquered eastward from the present day Togo to the present day Oyo state in south west Nigeria. Many parts of Yoruba land still speak a very corrupted version of the language of the Dahomey female warriors from Benin/Togo axis, Today you still find some Yoruba slave settlement in Benin/Togo the Yoruba slaves have been integrated in their society with coming of the white man, Slave trade and civilization. The Yorubas in Benin/Togo were slaves and spoils of war to Dahomey Kingdom, the Yorubas in Togo are ancestral descendants of Yorubas in present day south west Yoruba land in Nigeria. The relationship between the Yorubas and Benin/Togo is nothing short of a conqueror and conquered relationship or slave master relationship.

South west was divided and ruled by two great kingdoms. Benin Kingdom ruled to the west in Ile Ife axis down to Lagos, while present day Togo republic ruled to the East stretching all the way to Ibadan and Oyo present day Oyo state, Nigeria. However with the coming of the British to Nigeria Yorubas were wise to buy into the media and developed the media industry not just in Nigeria but west Africa at large and they used the media to rewrite and revisit history. However they can only deform those who are not versed to access informations as the Benin/Togo and Benin kingdom still have their very documented history which have been corroborated by the British, Portuguese, French missionaries and colonialist. Yoruba history on the other hand are simply revisions and revised history of the Benin/Togo and Benin Kingdoms history.

The fact that Yoruba history says they are descendants of Oduduwa whom they claim fell from the sky, when in truth he was actually a Benin prince on an expansionist journey, this gives credence to the fact that Yorubas have no record of their history and the one they take pride in is simply a fallacious mirage.

NOTE: This post was summarized so Nairalanders can read to the end, some accounts, excerpts, dates and events have been removed to keep it short. You can do some research to get more information or get in touch for the full context therein.

CC:
donratcock, thuggcheetah, zz22, generalachuzia, ikeadewole, Stephleena, obdk, proudlyafonja adadike281 iskander2 DIDDIDDIEOMENKA, UGOMBA, CHERUV, investinowerri uduak2016

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by orimsamsam(m): 8:48pm On Mar 22, 2017
Only God knows how flat heads sleep at night

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by aljharem(m): 8:51pm On Mar 22, 2017
Lol do you know what an empire means ? Truely you people are daft

7 Likes

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by Nobody: 8:53pm On Mar 22, 2017
I know..It was a lie...empire ko village settlement ni...Leave them like ancestors like decendents all bunch of SL..e..
Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by Nobody: 8:54pm On Mar 22, 2017
That nigga have arrived...Bleep ma..get.. grin grin ;Dwatch how they will destroy this thread with there Adidas head..
Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by Nobody: 8:56pm On Mar 22, 2017
Siting back drinking pepsi angry angry grin
[/left] angry angry[left]
grin..They won't repel you with facts but with insults..You know its there way..

3 Likes

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by Nobody: 8:58pm On Mar 22, 2017
Cc:timemanager looking at this thread like.. grin grin

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by coolebux(m): 9:00pm On Mar 22, 2017
Afonjas should locate the myths and legends story of oduduwa and olamiyan
How they mysteriously came down to the earth through palm trees grin grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by Nobody: 9:01pm On Mar 22, 2017
Cc:Afonjaheadhunt be ready they are getting ready to type on the keyboard like . tongue tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by afonjaheadhunt: 9:02pm On Mar 22, 2017
aljharem:
Mr man don't derail this thread if you don't know the meaning of an empire use your dictionary before commenting tongue

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by tociano009(m): 9:02pm On Mar 22, 2017

4 Likes

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 22, 2017
coolebux:
Afonjas should locate the myths and legends story of oduduwa and olamiyan
How they mysteriously came down to the earth through palm trees grin grin grin
You eeeehh....

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 22, 2017
seems I'll be chilling out here tonight! cheesy
Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by ThatIgboBoy: 9:06pm On Mar 22, 2017
Pure undiluted history

No wonder history was removed from secondary school curriculum because they want to hide truths like this and the 1967 pogrom

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by afonjaheadhunt: 9:06pm On Mar 22, 2017
ikeadewole:
Siting back drinking pepsi angry angry grin
[/left] angry angry[left]
grin..They won't repel you with facts but with insults..You know its there way..
my brother I tire for them, instead of providing facts to disprove the write up they are busy crying fowl.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by TimeManager(m): 9:06pm On Mar 22, 2017
orimsamsam:
Only God knows how flat heads sleep at night
Bishopmagic is very fond of promoting charlatanism on this forum. Just looking forward to the day he ..... so we could inscribe Afonja on his casket..
He foolishly thinks a charlatan could write a Yoruba history. The great Afonjas do not lack traces of history like the OSU & OHU..
Kiss the truth!

8 Likes

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by irepnaija4eva(m): 9:07pm On Mar 22, 2017
Well make I just observe.

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by afonjaheadhunt: 9:09pm On Mar 22, 2017
tociano009:
http://www.tubmaninstitute.ca/sites/default/files/file/LAW_Oyo_texts.pdf
epistle from another Afonja academician kindly provide source to foreign corroboration I don't think you read the thread sir, but nice attempt

At least better than all your brothers who have commented put together.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by Nobody: 9:12pm On Mar 22, 2017
TimeManager:
Bishopmagic is very fond of promoting charlatanism on this forum. Just looking forward to the day he ..... so we could inscribe Afonja on his casket..
He foolishly thinks a charlatan could write a Yoruba history. The great Afonjas do not lack traces of history like the OSU & OHU..
Kiss the truth!
My fellow Yoruba Muslim follow me let's go and dug for skulls at madam shikuru cementry..
Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by TimeManager(m): 9:15pm On Mar 22, 2017
aljharem:
You fall my hand..
You think those acephalous primitive peasants whose village clans only has a village head know what an EMPIRE means

Just dey observe their psychotic stupidity grin grin

Truth is talking!

13 Likes

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by Nobody: 9:17pm On Mar 22, 2017
TimeManager:
You fall my hand..
You think those acephalous primitive peasants whose village clans only has a village head know what an EMPIRE means

Truth is talking!
My fellow Yoruba Muslim let's give them facts and not insult them..Seems we were born m.d because oduduwa hit his head when they sent him away from heaven for beheading an angel and selling His head to Lucifer..
Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by afonjaheadhunt: 9:19pm On Mar 22, 2017
TimeManager:
Kiss the truth!
Afonja have no history disprove the thread and stop lying grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by TimeManager(m): 9:23pm On Mar 22, 2017
ikeadewole:

My fellow Yoruba Muslim follow me let's go and dug for skulls at madam shikuru cementry..
Ode
Incase you're a kid, listen up. Long before you were born, the skull mining headquarters is OTOKOTO. need I remind you that the Chief Skuls Miner was Clifford Orji( death to his soul)

Kiss the truth!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by afonjaheadhunt: 9:25pm On Mar 22, 2017
TimeManager:
You fall my hand..

Truth is talking!
yorubas and delusional self deceit grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by Nobody: 9:29pm On Mar 22, 2017
TimeManager:
Ode
Incase you're a kid, listen up. Long before you were born, the skull mining headquarters is OTOKOTO. need I remind you that the Chief Skuls Miner was Clifford Orji( death to his soul)

Kiss the truth!
No the skull mining activities started at ogun/badagry..My fellow Yoruba Muslim do not lie...We shall mine skulls this midnight insha Allah.
Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by afonjaheadhunt: 9:32pm On Mar 22, 2017
TimeManager:
Ode

Kiss the truth!
mr man don't derail this thread stay on topic, Yoruba never had empires and use a revised Benin history as their own history today grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by Nobody: 9:35pm On Mar 22, 2017
grin grin make una dey careful odua insurgirls are still much around protect ur info

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by afonjaheadhunt: 9:35pm On Mar 22, 2017
ikeadewole:

No the skull mining activities started at ogun/badagry..My fellow Yoruba Muslim do not lie...We shall mine skulls this midnight insha Allah.
dont worry about that, don't help him derail this thread I will create a thread for that with facts, so he should just wait instead of masturbating on this thread grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by TimeManager(m): 9:36pm On Mar 22, 2017
Clifford Orji Death to his soul

Truth is talking!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by TimeManager(m): 9:39pm On Mar 22, 2017
Long before you were born HERE is the HQ of Skul minning.... For your Pleasure. shocked shocked

Truth is mine!

3 Likes

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by modestofynest(m): 9:47pm On Mar 22, 2017
Chisos Christ afonjas will not sleep this night OP if u are in Lagos please relocate for now to. Maybe kaduna El rufai can guarantee ur safety for now because this is too much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted by afonjaheadhunt: 10:03pm On Mar 22, 2017
modestofynest:
Chisos Christ afonjas will not sleep this night OP if u are in Lagos please relocate for now to. Maybe kaduna El rufai can guarantee ur safety for now because this is too much
grin grin grin I live with Asari Dakubo, Afonja's nightmare cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Ancient Ibibio People / I Was Flogged By A Masquerade / Finally! The Igbo Languages And Proto-Igbo Reconstructions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.