Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,239 members, 7,780,467 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:01 PM

Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged (2128 Views)

My Toyota Corolla Verso Jerks When Accelerating / Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) / 7 Reasons Why Car Jerks When Accelerating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged by stanlotion(m): 10:10pm On Mar 22, 2017
Pls help, I just noticed that my camry 98 Jerks when ever the gear is engaged. Sometimes I became scared whenever I am on a hold up cos it be behaving like the engine is going to stall. It gets worse when the Ac is on. What could be the problem. Have bought injector treatment to clean the injector but problem persists. Please help.
Re: Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged by layifioren(m): 1:55am On Mar 23, 2017
stanlotion:
Pls help, I just noticed that my camry 98 Jerks when ever the gear is engaged. Sometimes I became scared whenever I am on a hold up cos it be behaving like the engine is going to stall. It gets worse when the Ac is on. What could be the problem. Have bought injector treatment to clean the injector but problem persists. Please help.
It gets worse when the AC is on because there is more "stress" on the engine/system. Some questions:

1. When was the last time you did regular maintenance i.e. change spark plugs, change wire etc on the vehicle?
2. Any check engine light on?
3. 4 or 6 cylinder and with how many miles?
Re: Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged by stanlotion(m): 5:27am On Mar 23, 2017
layifioren:

It gets worse when the AC is on because there is more "stress" on the engine/system. Some questions:

1. When was the last time you did regular maintenance i.e. change spark plugs, change wire etc on the vehicle?
2. Any check engine light on?
3. 4 or 6 cylinder and with how many miles?
It is a 4 cylinder and it has 196,000 miles to its credit. Have not changed plug and wires for some time now though I change the oil regularly.
Re: Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged by layifioren(m): 12:01pm On Mar 23, 2017
stanlotion:

It is a 4 cylinder and it has 196,000 miles to its credit. Have not changed plug and wires for some time now though I change the oil regularly.

When you say some time, how long? Also, is the check engine light on? For issues like yours - or anyone for that matter, you want to start with the basics.
Re: Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged by stanlotion(m): 10:17pm On Mar 23, 2017
layifioren:

When you say some time, how long? Also, is the check engine light on? For issues like yours - or anyone for that matter, you want to start with the basics.
Check engine light is on. Been told to change the plug wires
Re: Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged by layifioren(m): 10:30pm On Mar 23, 2017
stanlotion:

Check engine light is on. Been told to change the plug wires
What code is it showing?
Re: Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged by stanlotion(m): 6:59am On Mar 24, 2017
layifioren:

What code is it showing?
Not scanned yet. Don't know where I can get a good scan center in Asaba. Anyone with an idea??
Re: Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged by Mojibola(m): 7:48am On Mar 24, 2017
If it jerks when gear is engaged I.e. from Park to Reverse or Drive, your engine mounts may be damaged. For that stalling, appears as air-fuel metering issue. It could be MAF sensor, fuel pump, injectors. Give it a good scan, it becomes easier to deal with.
Re: Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged by stanlotion(m): 2:40pm On Mar 24, 2017
Just back from the workshop. Plug wires were changed to a new one. Plugs were changed also. Engine is running smoothly again even with the Ac. Thanks for your contributions.
Re: Car Jerks When Gear Is Engaged by layifioren(m): 3:05pm On Mar 24, 2017
stanlotion:
Just back from the workshop. Plug wires were changed to a new one. Plugs were changed also. Engine is running smoothly again even with the Ac. Thanks for your contributions.

Anytime, glad it all worked out

(1) (Reply)

How To Register And Participate In The Ongoing Customs E-auction / How Good Is Toyota 4runner 1999-2001 / *~Siena Voted Car Talk Poster Of 2012 *~ Congratulations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.