Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? (14124 Views)

What Will You Say If The Interviewer Says "You Have 10 Minutes To Impress Me? / Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear / Don't Tell The Interviewer About Yourself, This Is What He Really Wants To Hear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by ItuExchange(m): 12:43am On Mar 23, 2017
Why does every employer ask about my current salary during a job interview?

Everytime I have a job interview or ask a friend about one of theirs, eventually the employer asks about current pay. This happens independently if I sent a CV or if they got in touch with me first. Why is that?

Answer: Just to get you as cheaply as possible.

Thought experiment:

Interviewer: “What’s your current salary?”

You: “It’s twenty seven thousand five hundred”

Interviewer: “Great! In this new job, you will receive one hundred and fifty thousand. That seems fair given the role. And as our profitability, sales pipeline and market positioning all do not depend on you alone, there is no reason to vary away from what the role is worth to us”

Sound likely? Ever heard it?

Me neither.

I don’t have good advice though.

I’ve always mentioned my current salary, and then been surprised to receive something almost entirely similar within ten percent.

Because I know a little about software, but am otherwise quite stupid, really.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Why-does-every-employer-asks-about-my-current-salary-during-a-job-interview

Perfect Money/Payeer here: www..com.ng

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by SweetBoyFriend(m): 7:27am On Mar 23, 2017

Because they want to scam you

If they're looking to pay you 90k and you tell them that your current salary is 70k, what do you think they would do ?? Tell you that they would pay you 100k ??

They would speedily hire you and pay you your little 70k

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by kayceeD2(m): 7:27am On Mar 23, 2017
They are thinking if they can borrow money from u.

15 Likes

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Benjom(m): 7:27am On Mar 23, 2017
Employers use your past pay as a gauge of your market value.

Ask what range they expect to pay for the position. You could also offer to provide your desired salary range.

Check-out how a winning CV should be written:

www..com/cv-samples/

www..com/testimonials/

www..com/cv-rewrite/

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Spidermon: 7:28am On Mar 23, 2017
Mehn, these guys above me are aliens.
Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by veekid(m): 7:28am On Mar 23, 2017
They want to know if they could afford you
Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by realGURU(m): 7:28am On Mar 23, 2017
I was nder
Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Tazdroid(m): 7:28am On Mar 23, 2017
Well, the interviewer may need to know the salary range or test your honesty

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by OnlyTheBrave: 7:28am On Mar 23, 2017
cool
Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Kondomatic(m): 7:28am On Mar 23, 2017
Maybe to know if you're earning higher than what he's about to offer you

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by rattlesnake(m): 7:29am On Mar 23, 2017
Gbeborun somebody
Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 23, 2017
So he could know if he can afford you

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by ElsonMorali: 7:30am On Mar 23, 2017
So they know How much to pay you.

Some require you to send a copy of your last cheque so there's no way You'll lie.

Nothing beats working for yourself. Many people would rather work for a company for 30years and get long service award, than build their own company patiently from the scratch for 5years.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Nobody: 7:40am On Mar 23, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Some require you to send a copy of your last cheque so there's no way You'll lie.

Nothing beats working for yourself. Many people would rather work for a company for 30years and get long service award, than build their own company patiently from the scratch for 5years.

so have you started building your company?

14 Likes

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by DonHummer(m): 7:40am On Mar 23, 2017
so them go know whether you go vex with the peanut they are about to pay you
Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Dozi05(m): 7:41am On Mar 23, 2017
They do that to weigh you. but the technique around it is to humbly tell them that you cannot disclose that your contract with your former company does not allow you to divulge such information. Instead ask them why they ask and if the answer is so they could know if they can afford you, then ask what range or what is the number they have in mind for an offer.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by jazinogold(m): 7:41am On Mar 23, 2017
I lost hope in humanity last week when my uncle started collecting tithe and offering during Family Devotion.

10 Likes

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 23, 2017
They want to know the pittance they would add to it, that would excite you.

One even asked me if I could show my statement of account to prove what I told her I was earning.

grin

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Kelklein(m): 7:43am On Mar 23, 2017
Two Reasons

They want to know how much you think you are worth; and

Your opinion about MONEY.

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by 8701mayor: 7:44am On Mar 23, 2017
I once missed the chance of working with a reputable consulting firm on time. After the tests, went in for the interview and the last question the chairman of the panel asked was, how much do u earn with your current employer? I gladly told him. Then I waited a week, two weeks, then after three weeks of not hearing from them, I contacted the recruitment manager and was told I wasn't considered cos my current salary was higher than what they are offering.

I felt so bad. Knowing there are other fringe benefits attached to working with the company. Really I felt bad. But I learnt my lesson now!

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by rozayx5(m): 7:45am On Mar 23, 2017
ElsonMorali:

left for me only some certain jobs are worth doing

maybe the few industries that pay well and your salary can give you a comfortable life

life is too short spend ti waste it chasing change.. and start making wishes and regrets when your old

anything else id rather sit at home and continue my online biz undecided
Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by onnenka: 7:46am On Mar 23, 2017
ItuExchange:
Why does every employer ask about my current salary during a job interview?

Everytime I have a job interview or ask a friend about one of theirs, eventually the employer asks about current pay. This happens independently if I sent a CV or if they got in touch with me first. Why is that?

Answer: Just to get you as cheaply as possible.

Thought experiment:

Interviewer: “What’s your current salary?”

You: “It’s twenty seven thousand five hundred”

Interviewer: “Great! In this new job, you will receive one hundred and fifty thousand. That seems fair given the role. And as our profitability, sales pipeline and market positioning all do not depend on you alone, there is no reason to vary away from what the role is worth to us”

Sound likely? Ever heard it?

Me neither.

I don’t have good advice though.

I’ve always mentioned my current salary, and then been surprised to receive something almost entirely similar within ten percent.

Because I know a little about software, but am otherwise quite stupid, really.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Why-does-every-employer-asks-about-my-current-salary-during-a-job-interview

Perfect Money/Payeer here: www..com.ng

But some companies with fixed salary structure still ask the same question.
So it can't be to get you cheaply in their case.
The reason could be to ensure what they have in offer is not less than what you were being paid before.

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Sanchez01: 7:50am On Mar 23, 2017
Dozi05:
They do that to weigh you. but the technique around it is to humbly tell them that you cannot disclose that your contract with your former company does not allow you to divulge such information. Instead ask them why they ask and if the answer is so they could know if they can afford you, then ask what range or what is the number they have in mind for an offer.
Very wrong! You don't tell your prospective employer this, else you just might happen to continue searching for a long time.

Their sole purpose of asking is to know one's market value. Since there are pay structures for the several positions within the establishment, it does not matter what you tell them, as you'd be paid within the pay structure.

Telling your interviewer that you cannot divulge your present or past salary when there is no clear agreement between you and your previous or past employer is a way of telling them to go to hell.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by ElsonMorali: 7:54am On Mar 23, 2017
careytommy7:

so have you started building your company?

You betcha. No time working for another person when I can work for myself.

Go at my own pace, set my own hours, pay myself what I think I deserve and I've got the extra motivation that... I'm working for myself. smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Benekruku(m): 7:56am On Mar 23, 2017
The fact is that they cant request for your payslip so always try to inflate so u can bargain. Always bargain high if you know you competent for the job.
Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by rman: 7:56am On Mar 23, 2017
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
jazinogold:
I lost hope in humanity last week when my uncle started collecting tithe and offering during Family Devotion.
Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by Reyus: 7:57am On Mar 23, 2017
Different reasons..may include..

1. so they will know you better.
2. so they will know if they can afford to pay you.
3. so they will know if you are lying to them or telling the truth, (integrity)
4. so they will estimate your financial status.
5. so they will know if you are likely jump ship if you see a better paying job.
Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by ElsonMorali: 7:59am On Mar 23, 2017
rozayx5:

left for me only some certain jobs are worth doing

maybe the few industries that pay well and your salary can give you a comfortable life

life is too short spend ti waste it chasing change.. and start making wishes and regrets when your old

anything else id rather sit at home and continue my online biz undecided

No matter How well they pay, wouldn't you rather own that company?

The amount of effort you put into their company, just put a fraction into yours and within 5years the momentum is built.

5years in another person's company, and you're not sure If you should ask for a raise or a promotion.

But If you're already CEO, well...

1 Like

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by anonimi: 8:03am On Mar 23, 2017
Sanchez01:

Very wrong! You don't tell your prospective employer this, else you just might happen to continue searching for a long time.

Their sole purpose of asking is to know one's market value. Since there are pay structures for the several positions within the establishment, it does not matter what you tell them, as you'd be paid within the pay structure.

Telling your interviewer that you cannot divulge your present or past salary with them when there is no clear agreement between you and your previous or past employer is a way of telling them to go to hell.

It can also be construed as telling a LIE, by way of incomplete disclosure, which then becomes a question of INTEGRITY.
Not many employers will want to engage someone with DOUBTFUL integrity except maybe na olopa work. grin cheesy

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4274523_3805699img1396jpegcb9c5e0f95f8cb52cfda5bbc4d201cc6_jpegcbc2aa277423d11ab6fdf5a633b42ae1

2 Likes

Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by 1wolex85: 8:05am On Mar 23, 2017
Sanchez01:

Telling your interviewer that you cannot divulge your present or past salary with them when there is no clear agreement between you and your previous or past employer is a way of telling them to go to hell.

What is this! The truth is most standard companies sign non disclosure agreements with their staff and only a few companies will still pay you what the role deserves if you are earning significantly lower. Some will even disqualify you because you earn significantly lower than what they are willing to pay. I have seen a job advert which says,"If you earn less than 15m per annum, dont apply". You can give prospective employers a range of what you earn but no one is any other obligation to reveal anything, besides your loyalty whould lie with your current company.
Re: Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary? by joey150(m): 8:17am On Mar 23, 2017
ElsonMorali:

No matter How well they pay, wouldn't you rather own that company?

The amount of effort you put into their company, just put a fraction into yours and within 5years the momentum is built.

5years in another person's company, and you're not sure If you should ask for a raise or a promotion.

But If you're already CEO, well...
Can everybody own thier own company?

Can everybody succeed even if they went ahead to own their own company?

Like it or not people must work for people.. So long as the pay is right and you are being valued, there is no big deal in working for a firm.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apply For Africa's Young Entrepreneurs (A.Y.E) Job Recruitment (7 Positions) / Globacom HR / Federal MDAs Currently Undergoing Replacement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.