Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" (1779 Views)

Is It Ok To Do Xray Twice Within Few Month / Is it ok to wear no underwear or it's unhygienic....? / Premature Ejaculation-is It Ok To Use Drugs (delay Cream, Spray Etc) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 5:40am On Dec 22, 2009
My neigbor Mrs Eke has four wonderful kidz,Izu,Ijeoma,Osita & Ifunanya.I love childrien,so I hang around these kids a lot.While I hang around these kidz at my spare time,I took a special interest in one the kidz,OSITA because of his very unsual size for his age.
Osita is 7 yrs old,big and very fat in a way that is not healthy,suffice it to say that Osita was suffering from obesity.Each time I was in their house,I always took my time to study his eating pattern & habits.I noticed that Osita ate just about everything and in a quantity that was obviously not normal for his age.I told the mum that Osita was not healthy the way he was & she needed to help him curtail his excessive eating habit,may be place him on a dietary regimen different from his siblings.The mum told me she had taken Osita to the hospital & the doc told her that he will eventually reduce as he grows and that he neither could withstand an operation or any vigorous exercise as his heart has not gotten the capacity to do so.Whether the doctors gave the mum a special regimen for Osita is yet to be seen by me,as Osita eats and drinks everything the other kids eat & drink.Some times when I restrain him from eating a particular food with others,he starts crying and the mum or dad allows him.
Yesterday,Osita & I went out,and mehn it was something else.Osita pulled a roar in virtually every street that we passed.Kids were just shouting "orobo" "fatty"yokozuna even elderly ppl didn't help matters as they threw funny and disgusting looks at the young boy,one even called him anaconda,it was terrible.However,in all of these,I noticed he remained calm,unruffled & unperturbed.He had learnt to take the derisions,the good,the bad & the ugly in his stride.While I watched his reaction,I asked him,"is this how they disturb U all the time? Does it bother you?" surprisingly he said no,he further said it used to bother him back in 2006 but now he is not.
When we got to my aunt's place,even though my aunt's kidz didn't react like the street kids,they kept stairring at him and sneaking a lil laugh here and there.My aunt came in and saw him,she was also a lil alarmed but handled it like an adult.She was so concerned,she offered advice on his eating habit and regimen.But we(he & I) had fun which waz why i took him out in the first place.
Later on when we got back home,I was contemplating whether to tell Mrs Eke what my aunt had advised because I know issues like this can be very sensitive & touchy.Finally,I did.When I blurted it out to her, as usual,she was on the defensive,she was like. . ."let them leave my son for me before they kill him for me". . . Mehn! That sharp response was enough to keep me shut.I didn't say anything again as I noticed she waz slightly annoyed.I don't blame her though cos I know she probably would ve tried many of the advices without results.
NLanders what do U think about this situation.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 5:55am On Dec 22, 2009
I hope U lots can now concentrate?
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by THEAMAKA1: 6:00am On Dec 22, 2009
why would you name the picture "Fat Fuk"?? that makes you no better than the kids teasing him.
wtf?
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by chiogo(f): 6:15am On Dec 22, 2009
Na wa oo!!!
And how do you just post someone's pics on the internet even if the person is a kid? undecided
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 6:16am On Dec 22, 2009
at amaka,I Didn't,that is how i got the pic from another neighbor's fone.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by OgidiBoy(m): 6:18am On Dec 22, 2009
Wow!!!do you know what you doing to this kid by posting his pic online and calling him "this fat"
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 6:35am On Dec 22, 2009
that is the problem i alwayz have with nairalanderz u lots alwayz ve a way of derailing topics and discussing unimportant issues.OSITa is like my kid brother why will i want to deride him. . Scheew. . If i was out for derision do U Think i wil post it on the health section. . .I want ppl to give suggestions and educate otherz abt it not give me sermons.It is not a must dat every1 must commemt,obesity is an issue that pple attach emotionz to instead of finding solutions.

Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by Nobody: 6:36am On Dec 22, 2009
Dude is such a bas.tard.

You're no difference from the other kids. . . .worst even, posting his pix online ofr people to criticize.

Have you exercised your grey cells and thought about NL people that  might know him offline?

Ori e ti fokasible, elede rirun oshi

*anywayz, I hope the child's parent posts on NL, sees this and sues your a.s.s*
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by H2O2: 6:42am On Dec 22, 2009
My goodness look at the mammalias on that boy.

His parents better act quick.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by OgidiBoy(m): 7:36am On Dec 22, 2009
rhymz:

that is the problem i alwayz have with nairalanderz u lots alwayz ve a way of derailing topics and discussing unimportant issues.OSITa is like my kid brother why will i want to deride him. . Scheew. . If i was out for derision do U Think i wil post it on the health section. . .I want ppl to give suggestions and educate otherz abt it not give me sermons.It is not a must dat every1 must commemt,obesity is an issue that pple attach emotionz to instead of finding solutions.

Obesity is an issue in the states, but there are ways we can educate folks about it. I volunteer at a summer camp for kids with diabetes and obesity every summer, I see how depressed and unhappy these kids are and the last thing a kid needs is to have his or her pic posted online and called "this fat"

Oh well dude, sorry if you think I'm derailing your thread or for just posting on your thread. No harm indented I hope you get the laughs you looking for.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 22, 2009
He is not your kid so why are you posting his pic without his parents consent? In normal countries, they would have put your arse in jail and you would have become someones biatch if you dropped the soap grin.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 11:59am On Dec 22, 2009
As far as I am concerned I have no explanation to give to all these self appointed psuedo moralists.This is the health section and I am talking health.If anybody wan quote law make im go politics section and the ones way wan preach make una go religious section.
U guyz are so quick to point out the unsuitability of the picture but there is a thread on NL where U guyz re allowed to post nu.de picturez of celebrity po.rnstarz.I am yet to see an avalenche of condemnation from all U these pretenders and hypocrites.
It was because I didn't want derailers that's why I have the posts here in the health section where some real professionals can give professional advice and education not for some kids to uneccessarily criticize and talk shit. . .
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 12:10pm On Dec 22, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

He is not your kid so why are you posting his pic without his parents consent? In normal countries, they would have put your arse in jail and you would have become someones biatch if you dropped the soap grin.
maybe U should ask for the consent of the ownerz of those pictures Ur likez some times post in order to butress their point.
I don't know why the picture should be the subject when obviously the thread is talking about healthy living.Besidez,none of U knows the kid so why are U tooting Ur horns over nothing.
I posted the picture to show the enormity of what I was discussing. . .if U have nothing to say,just don't worry Urself posting hokus pokum.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 12:11pm On Dec 22, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

maybe U should ask for the consent of the ownerz of those pictures Ur likez some times post in order to butress their point.
I don't know why the picture should be the subject when obviously the thread is talking about healthy living.Besidez,none of U knows the kid so why are U tooting Ur horns over nothing.
I posted the picture to show the enormity of what I was discussing. . .if U have nothing to say,just don't worry Urself posting hokus pokum.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by Moyola(f): 12:16pm On Dec 22, 2009
@ Dhiz rate he myt make it into Guiness world book record - fattest bhoi in 9jah tongue
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 12:40pm On Dec 22, 2009
@H20
Thank God U see the urgency of the situation,I ve spent a better part of this thread explaining the picture to ppl who ve intentionally decided to prick holes than make meaningful contributions.It is understable if some ppl re fat and hate to be told to do sth abt it but to trivialize it and talk about jejune issues is just plain dumb.
I ve known this kid from birth & I have emotionally stood aloof and watched him go from healthy to unhealthy. I didn't realize the enormity of this kid's situation until we went out yday. . . At every place we went,elderly ppl commented on the kid's health and asked me to tell his mum to do sth about his size.My aunty was one of those who really showed geniune concerne when we went to her house.As usual,her kidz eventually came to like him even after stairring at him in surprise at the first sight of him.She suggested a regimen and even offered to see his mum cos according to my aunt,one of her brothers(my uncle) was also fat like Osita when he was small but with strict adherence to recommended regimen,he lost weight as he grew up and today he's better for it.What I find curious in oc's case is the utter neglect by his parents to curtail it,they attach too much emotions to solving the problem.Being Nice won't solve the problem, that is what a lot of ppl fail to understand. . . Like I said before,he is like my kid brother and I know how many times I ve had to fight off kidz taunting him coz of his size.However,I know the reality is that he will have to reduce.But how to go about it is what I think the parents do not know hence they resign to fate and that's why i created this thread,so I can get professional advice here not some silly childish tantrums. . .
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by THEAMAKA1: 1:29pm On Dec 22, 2009
rhymz i do kinda see your point, but can you remove the pic? PLEASE? thanks.  smiley
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by xxcarolxx(f): 2:32pm On Dec 22, 2009
Have you checked out pradawilly syndrome. Its an eating disorder with kids. Im not sure if i spelt pradawilly correctly. I had seen a programe on tv about these kids with this disorder. They would throw tantrums if they weren't allowed to eat.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 7:01pm On Dec 22, 2009
@Amaka
I also kinda see Ur point and I honestly respect it but I do not neccessarily share Ur views about the picture.While U think the picture is offensive,I don't see it that way.Besides,U or anyone on this forum do not know me or the said Kid,infact I like him more than anyone on this thread and that is why I ve decided to look beyond sentiments and insults to creat this thread.
I regret the tittle below the picture,like I said before,I got it like that from another neighbor's kid's phone. But I will advise that U look past Ur sentiments and feelings
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by sweetpie23: 7:02pm On Dec 22, 2009
to be honest that child will die before his time, he better lose weight now shocked
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 7:12pm On Dec 22, 2009
@Sweetpie
God forbid abeg!
He will live to see the glory of the lord in his life.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by sweetpie23: 7:27pm On Dec 22, 2009
rhymz:

@Sweetpie
God forbid abeg!
He will live to see the glory of the lord in his life.
stop fooling yourself and him too, if he do not change lane, he will crash.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2009
@sweetpie,u re right though that is why i created thread.so instead spelling doom for the kid,why not proffer solutionz.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by dominique(f): 8:38pm On Dec 22, 2009
@rhymz
its good that you have concerns for the boy, but exposing him and his familyand posting his picture without his (or his parent's) permission is no way to go about it. a picture you labelled fat f[size=1pt].[/size]uck. makes it look like you're actually jeering the kid.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by platinumnk(f): 8:51pm On Dec 22, 2009
sweetpie23:

to be honest that child will die before his time, he better lose weight now shocked

no he wont, he has a while to go, Ive seen chubbier kids

@rhymes, why not take down the pic and rename it properly, shrink it and repost.
Its hard to speak corrrectly when u have a pic with a very offensive label.

@topic- Try real hard to introduce healthier foods, make them intresting, and take him out on walks daily to keep his mind off food. but the parents are the problem. Its not abour limiting the food, its about what they eat. the guy could eat tons of salad and no gain a pound but pounds of rice and look like humpty

Its hard, you have to try. Engage in activites that will keep himactive. And Im taking hes the rare ones in 9ja that has a slow metabolosm. Because when i came the village kids ate 3x as me in one sitting and yet as thin as a pencil.

So they need to change diets asap. This size is never ever good for a child and he has the likelyhood of devloping diabtes.

Try buttering up the parents so they will allow him to stay the summer with you, so you can shapen him up, because as long as he stays in that house, his situation will only get worse. embarassed
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by dominique(f): 9:26pm On Dec 22, 2009
the boy is not fat, he's morbidly obese sad
i totally blame the parents for letting the boy get to that stage. even if they're not educated, they should know its not healthy to to be this fat. instead they indulged him and watch him become obese. cases like his usually gets surgically treated (gastric by-pass and/or liposuction) cos his metabolism would have slowed down to the extent that diet and exercise may not get him very far. good luck to him and his folks.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by echobee(f): 9:53pm On Dec 22, 2009
pls,let his parents do something fast
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 4:36am On Dec 23, 2009
dominique:

the boy is not fat, he's morbidly obese sad
i totally blame the parents for letting the boy get to that stage. even if they're not educated, they should know its not healthy to to be this fat. instead they indulged him and watch him become obese. cases like his usually gets surgically treated (gastric by-pass and/or liposuction) cos his metabolism would have slowed down to the extent that diet and exercise may not get him very far. good luck to him and his folks.

so basically U re saying putting him on diet and exercise may not work for him due to a slow metabolism occassioned by the obesity?
Remember i said doctors had told the mum that at 7yrs it will be risky for him to undergo any surgery in this regard.I don't know if U re a medical practioner but don't U think liposuction is a dangerous procedure for any kid?I got to know about that procedure after the death of stella Obasanjo. Even at that,at what age do U think he might be fit to do any surgery if it comes to that?And thanx for your candid suggestions.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 5:32am On Dec 23, 2009
platinumnk:

no he wont, he has a while to go, Ive seen chubbier kids

@rhymes, why not take down the pic and rename it properly, shrink it and repost.
Its hard to speak corrrectly when u have a pic with a very  offensive label.

embarassed
Oook.

@topic- Try real hard to introduce healthier foods, make them intresting, and take him out on walks daily to keep his mind off food. but the parents are the problem. Its not abour limiting the food, its about what they eat. the guy could eat tons of salad and no gain a pound but pounds of rice and look like humpty
embarassed
[/quote]U know I have recommended this to the mum several time but she just wont listen. . .

Its hard, you have to try. Engage in activites that will keep himactive. And Im taking hes the rare ones in 9ja that has a slow metabolosm. Because when i came the village kids ate 3x as me in one sitting and yet as thin as a pencil.
embarassed
U kinda describing my eating habit,I eat a lot(but not junk anyway) but am yet to come any close to being called plump let alone fat.That's because I make sure if I must eat it,it had better not be junk,that's my health routine and that is what am trying to introduce to the kid.The kid doesn't eat junk though but he eats too much carbohydrate and sugary stuff.

So they need to change diets asap. This size is never ever good for a child and he has the likelyhood of devloping diabtes.embarassed
God no go gree OC and his parents are too sweet to ve that kinda problem. . Amen!

Try buttering up the parents so they will allow him to stay the summer with you, so you can shapen him  up, because as long as he stays in that house, his situation will only get worse.  embarassed
[quote]
I doubt they will allow that besidez next yr I have plans to relocate to some other place with my bro.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by Sissy3(f): 10:38am On Dec 23, 2009
can u break down ur posts into paragraphys? they are too jammed up. cant read it
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by rhymz(m): 10:56am On Dec 23, 2009
Sorry Sissi cant do that now coz am using my fone now.
Re: Is It Ok For A 7yr Old To Be "this Fat" by Sissy3(f): 11:33am On Dec 23, 2009
ok let me get ma big reading glasses on embarassed

good thing you took notice of his oversized weight because child obesity is a very serious concern. and yes its a very touchy subject because to many parents bringing up such issue means to them that youre questioning their parental skills and no parent wants that, while to many, especially in naija being fat is more often equated with be wealthy and healthy. so am hardly not surprised by his moms response

you have to kindly in a nice way try to tell the mom of the many health risks associated with obesity and most commonly in kids Type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, asthma, high cholesterol, bone problems, the heavy one heart disease and like you already mentioned discrimination which can badly hurt his self esteem and self worth. now i dont think his mom wants to see his young son shooting insulin everyday to his tiny body and being in the hospital every time. and he is way too young to mention surgery

his mom needs to change his eating habits. he needs to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and curb down on fat especially saturated and trans-fat. also high sodium and sugary foods needs to be on the low and fry fry stuffs too. she needs to control his food portion and dont give in to his every need and cries. basically she needs to start cooking healthy foods.

and exercise, exercise, exercise. cant mention it enough. he needs to be getting enough of it. he needs about 60 minutes per day. and since you are usually with him, please encourage him and exercise with him. playing football, dancing, jumping, running, biking. he needs it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Regain My Lost Weight / Why Do People Spit When They Smell Something Irritating? / Total Life Changes Products (TLC)?08034308587

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.