Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

An Encounter With A Crazy Driver! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / An Encounter With A Crazy Driver! (844 Views)

6 Crazy Vehicles Built & Used In Nazi Germany During 2nd World War (photos) / Nigerian Man Builds A Mini Jeep, Calls It Crazy Camel / FRSC, VIO, LASTMA, Police: Who Would You Prefer To Have An Encounter With? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Encounter With A Crazy Driver! by corbanism: 5:25pm On Mar 24, 2017
I ran into an old schoolmate recently on my way home from work. There I was, waiting at the side of the road for a taxi when a Toyota Camry car stopped just beside me. The driver had swerved to my side carelessly, splattering dirty water on my dress. I was furious but only glared at the driver as I was really tired and didn’t want to make a scene. I was about to walk away when I heard my name being called from inside the car. I couldn’t place the face but the guy kept smiling as he shouted, “Great Ife!” and immediately, my hesitant smile gave way to a full one that took over my face. I remembered him from my OAU days. After exchanging pleasantries, he asked where I was going and offered to give me a lift. I accepted.

There was an elderly man in the front passenger seat so I slid into the back and off we went. Dele, that’s his name, swerved back into the road with the same careless abandon that he exhibited when he parked beside me. On the road, Dele pushed his limits many times. He weaved in and out of traffic with no care for oncoming vehicles. He shouted obscenities at drivers who dared to caution him and the ones who wisely made way for him to pass. At a point, he drove closely behind a car, bumper-to-bumper, and his hand was relatively permanent on the horn, so much so that I developed a headache. All the while, he was in a heated conversation with the front seat passenger, who continually had to tell him to watch the road. Occasionally, he would turn back to me and ask questions: about my friends who were his neighbours in OAU, about work, about nothing.

I began to wonder about Dele’s erratic behaviour when he pulled into a filling station and rained curses on the attendant because she asked him to move forward. “You dey mad! I go show you craze now if you no shut up!” he told the lady. I felt embarrassed. When we left the filling station, he was still yelling, as if the subject of his anger was not a distance away, filling other people’s fuel tanks.

“I get headache o,” he said and began to heavily slap his head with both hands. “I fit disappear, to show you say I be ghost,” he continued, still slapping his head, alternating between using one hand and two. The man in the front passenger’s seat began to calm him down while at the same time turning to me and rubbing both palms together in an apologetic gesture. He was also pointing his index finger at his head in a way that suggested Dele was mentally unstable. As if I needed him to tell me. Dele calmed down enough to give the road his total attention. He parked by a woman selling roasted plantain and asked the elderly man to buy some for him. I alighted immediately, saying I forgot my phone at the office. I was holding my two phones in my hands, after all, what is a little lie when one’s life is at risk. I watched Dele zoom off with his passenger while I patiently waited for a taxi with a sane mind behind the wheels.

You might think it is a rare occasion when a mentally unstable mind drives a car but the truth is, there are many ‘Deles’ sharing the road with you. Yes, people in flowing agbada and well-cut suits, people swaying in their designer dresses with their makeup on point. You take one look at their faces and you think you are with a sane company. If only you knew!

The Medical Director of the Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital (FNH), Yaba, Lagos, Dr Rahman Lawal has said that over 21 million Nigerians suffer from mental illness, with different levels of severity. 55% of these are people who engage in driving activities. So the chances are, you may have taken a ride or come across a mentally unstable driver 4 times a week without knowing it.

The signs are often there, staring at you but you want to be sure, you want to wait for it to slap you in the face, for the evidence to be shoved down your throat like a bitter pill you have to swallow. Click here for some of the signs to recognise an insane driver:
http:///2nf4KDi
Excerpts from www.uturnn.com

1 Like

Re: An Encounter With A Crazy Driver! by Nobody: 6:45pm On Mar 24, 2017
The Medical Director of the Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital (FNH), Yaba, Lagos, Dr Rahman Lawal has said that over 21 million Nigerians suffer from mental illness, with different levels of severity. 55% of these are people who engage in driving activities. So the chances are, you may have taken a ride or come across a mentally unstable driver 4 times a week without knowing it.
This is fu(king hilarious. 8>% of that 55% are Nairalanders cheesy cheesy
Re: An Encounter With A Crazy Driver! by nonso84(m): 7:33pm On Mar 24, 2017
Wow, what a shocking revelation.
This is one of the reasons I avoid road brawl most times.
Re: An Encounter With A Crazy Driver! by nurey(m): 8:49pm On Mar 24, 2017
Dele is my kind of guy smiley, he is not afraid to push the limit, he is my hero my mentor, I hope to be like him one day, in fact Dele is my everything grin

I have a right to my opinion pls Waka pass
Re: An Encounter With A Crazy Driver! by Nobody: 9:21pm On Mar 24, 2017
nurey:
Dele is my kind of guy smiley, he is not afraid to push the limit, he is my hero my mentor, I hope to be like him one day, in fact Dele is my everything grin

I have a right to my opinion pls Waka pass
Nigga...you gay? angry
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5052757_300x300_jpeg76d0d9d5504e71425bfb88a31befa70d

3 Likes

Re: An Encounter With A Crazy Driver! by nurey(m): 9:46pm On Mar 24, 2017
PaperLace:

Nigga...you gay? angry
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5052757_300x300_jpeg76d0d9d5504e71425bfb88a31befa70d

Yeah I am, I studied Gaylussac's law in university and have a degree in Gay studies grin

Re: An Encounter With A Crazy Driver! by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 25, 2017
nurey:

Yeah I am, I studied Gaylussac's law in university and have a degree in Gay studies grin
On a serious note, I have a friend that drives exactly like that, minus the insults. The way he changes gears, swerves... I kept wondering why a normal human being would drive in such manner,till he told me he was into street racing. Whenever I had to be in his car, I did the driving,handed him his keys at my destination.

Now I know he has mental issues. grin
Why do I have a feeling that you're a crazy driver? angry

1 Like

Re: An Encounter With A Crazy Driver! by chukel(m): 3:28pm On Mar 25, 2017
What is the meaning of "an crazy'. Please change that title
Re: An Encounter With A Crazy Driver! by nurey(m): 5:06pm On Mar 25, 2017
PaperLace:

On a serious note, I have a friend that drives exactly like that, minus the insults. The way he changes gears, swerves... I kept wondering why a normal human being would drive in such manner,till he told me he was into street racing. Whenever I had to be in his car, I did the driving,handed him his eyes at my destination.

Now I know he has mental issues. grin
Why do I have a feeling that you're a crazy driver? angry

Thank God it's just a feeling not a fact grin

About your friend, I think it's not his fault, the environment shaped him into what he is today. That's what Lagos turns one into hehehe

I am the most gentle driver ever liveth 5 years no scratch Kai I deserve a medal of Honor.

(1) (Reply)

What Type Of Bus Will Be Good For Haulage On Short Distances / How To Cool Your Car Like A Pro(video) / Tow Truck / Mechanic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.