Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,708 members, 7,802,127 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis (13478 Views)

When Did The Old Covenant End? - Paul Ellis / What If I Disappoint God? - Paul Ellis / Does God Scourge Us? 7 Reasons To Say No!! - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:12pm On Mar 24, 2017
One of the biggest signs that a believer does not fully understand what happened at the cross of the Calvary, is that they are scared of the Holy Spirit and His work. They view him as a Convictor and Policeman even though Jesus called Him the Comforter and Counselor. Their perceptions are shaped by old covenant traditions rather than new covenant truths.

Here are 10 myths and 10 truths about the Person of Holy Spirit:

Myth 1: The Holy Spirit keeps a record of my sin.

Truth 1: The Holy Spirit remembers your sin no more (He 10:17).

The Holy Spirit is not forgetful, but love keeps no record of wrongs. At the cross, justice was done and all your sins were forgiven (Col 2:13). To forgive literally means to send away. Your sins have been removed as far as the east is from the west (Ps 103:12). God has reconciled the world to Himself and is no longer counting men’s sins against them (2 Cor 5:19). If the old covenant was characterized by remembrance of sins (He 10:3), the new is characterized by forgetting them (He 8:12).

Myth 2: The Holy Spirit convicts me of my sin.

Truth 2: The Holy Spirit convicts you of your righteousness (Jn 16:10).

How could He convict you of something that He chooses not to remember? Jesus has done away with sin by the sacrifice of Himself (Heb 9:26). Your sins are not the problem. The real question is whether you trust in the grace of God. As an expression of His love and mercy, the Holy Spirit convicts the world of the sin of unbelief in Jesus. But the only thing He “convicts” or rather, convinces, Christians of is their righteousness (Jn 16:8-10).

Myth 3: The Holy Spirit leads me to confess my sin.

Truth 3: The Holy Spirit leads you to confess Jesus is Lord (1 Co 12:3)!

The Holy Spirit will never seek to distract you from Jesus. His ministry will always make you Jesus-conscious rather than self-conscious (Jn 16:14). Specifically, the Holy Spirit will lead you to recognize Jesus as Lord which means everything you have – including your problems and sins – belongs to Him. You don’t have the right to your sins. They are not yours for He bought them with His blood. Still thinking about your sins? Then reckon yourself dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus (Rm 6:11).

Myth 4: The Holy Spirit is watching to see if I slip up and fail to finish.

Truth 4: The Holy Spirit personally guarantees your salvation and inheritance (Eph 1:13-14).

When you were saved you were marked as one of God’s own (2 Cor 1:22) and sealed with the Spirit for the day of redemption (Eph 4:30). The Holy Spirit is not a fault-finder, but a hope-giver (Rm 15:13). His hope is a firm and secure anchor for the soul (He 6:19). What’s your part in this? Trust Him!

Myth 5: The Holy Spirit reveals God’s judgment.

Truth 5: The Holy Spirit reveals God’s love (Rm 5:5).

“God has poured out his love into our hearts by means of the Holy Spirit…” (Rms 5:5, GNB). “So then, love has not been made perfect in anyone who is afraid, because fear has to do with punishment” (1 Jn 4:18). If you fear God’s punishment, please allow me to introduce you to the Holy Spirit.

Myth 6: The Holy Spirit inspires us to fear a holy and distant God.

Truth 6: The Holy Spirit helps you to know and draw near to God your Father (Eph 1:17, Gal 4:6).

“For the Spirit that God has given you does not make you slaves and cause you to be afraid; instead, the Spirit makes you God’s children, and by the Spirit’s power we cry out to God, ‘Father! My Father!’” (Rm 8:15, GNB). Wow! How good is that?!

Myth 7: The Holy Spirit lives somewhere out there , probably behind Alpha Centauri.

Truth 7: The Holy Spirit lives in you (1 Co 6:19; 2 Ti 1:14, Rm 8:11).

Under the old covenant, God lived in the temple. In the new covenant, you are the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Co 6:19). Where does He live? In you! As Ralph Harris says, you are “God’s sacred mobile home.”

Myth 8: The Holy Spirit comes and goes. We need to cry out for Him to come.

Truth 8: The Holy Spirit abides, dwells, stays with you and in you (Jn 14:17, 1 Jn 3:24, Rm 8:11).

In the old covenant the Holy Spirit rested on certain people for certain times. But in the new covenant He abides with us and “makes His home in us” (2 Ti 1:14 AMP). If you have received the Holy Spirit, be comforted, for He’s not going anywhere. He has promised to never leave nor forsake us (He 13:5).

Myth 9: The Holy Spirit plays hard to get.

Truth 9: The Holy Spirit is The Gift, sent by Jesus and freely given by the Father (Jn 16:7, Lk 11:13, Acts 10:45).

According to Galatians 3:14, Jesus redeemed us so that we might receive the blessings promised to Abraham, namely, the promise of the Holy Spirit. Do you believe that Jesus has redeemed you? Then you are eligible to receive the promised Holy Spirit. Who is not eligible to accept Him? The (unsaved) world, “because it neither sees Him or knows Him. But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you” (Jn 14:17). Look at what Peter said to those who heard the gospel at Pentecost: “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2:38). The Holy Spirit does not limit Himself to a chosen few. Believe in Jesus and you will, you will, you will receive the promised Gift! Believe it!

Myth 10: To receive the Holy Spirit you must fast, pray, attend some classes, get straightened out, act holy…

Truth 10: The Holy Spirit is received by faith (Gal 3:14).

Did you fast and pray to receive Jesus? Didn’t think so. You just received by faith. It’s exactly the same with the Holy Spirit. How do we receive the promise of the Spirit? By faith (Gal 3:14)! “If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” (Lk 11:13). Here Jesus is saying that the Holy Spirit is freely given to all who ask. Don’t let anyone tell you that you must
do stuff to earn what God freely gives. Jesus already did it all. “Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.” (Jn 16:24)

In this post we looked at 10 myths surrounding the Person of the Holy Spirit. In the next post we’ll look at 10 myths surrounding the work of the Holy Spirit. Stay tuned!

https://escapetoreality.org/2011/05/11/holy-spirit-myths/

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:08am On Mar 25, 2017
morning

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by Samsimple(m): 9:20am On Sep 30, 2017
Op i can see ur your frustration ... Dont worry u will reach fp just fast and pray ....

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:27am On Sep 30, 2017
Samsimple:
Op i can see ur your frustration ... Dont worry u will reach fp just fast and pray ....
Frustration No you got it all wrong. Am not freaked by front page or having large audience. Am all about life transformation, so even if its only one person that viewed this thread and was liberated or got born again... There will an enormous joy in heaven for that one person than the other multitude that read and didn't take it as anything.

I update my articles cos i know that there's someone somewhere that really needs it. So its not about making front page. I love doing this for my Lord Jesus Christ and am not expecting anything in return cos i know am already blessed abundantly in Christ Jesus.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by Janeyinspires(f): 9:39am On Sep 30, 2017
jiggaz:
Frustration No you got it all wrong. Am not freaked by front page or having large audience. Am all about life transformation, so even if its only one person that viewed this thread and was liberated or got born again... There will an enormous joy in heaven for that one person than the other multitude that read and didn't take it as anything.

I update my articles cos i know that there's someone somewhere that really needs it. So its not about making front page. I love doing this for my Lord Jesus Christ and am not expecting anything in return cos i know am already blessed abundantly in Christ Jesus.

Truely,the physical eyes can never see it:the freedom the gospel of grace brings.

Ride on dear jiggaz.

8 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by Samsimple(m): 10:25am On Sep 30, 2017
jiggaz:

oohh really but u commented about 6 times

2 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 1:39pm On Sep 30, 2017
then what convicts of sin

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 2:28pm On Sep 30, 2017
Janeyinspires:

Truely,the physical eyes can never see it:the freedom the gospel of grace brings.

Ride on dear jiggaz.
Thanx alot my dear.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 3:22pm On Sep 30, 2017
Ferisidowu:
then what convicts of sin
Anytime you sin, what convicts you is your conscience not the Holy Spirit. Conscience came about after the fall of Adam in the garden. Everyone has it. Every believer has it, that is what convicts a believer when he sin not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit convicts a believer of Righteousness ( that you are still the righteousness of God in Christ). But most believers are insensitive to the voice of the Holy Spirit in this situation, rather they listen to the voice of their conscience and wallow in condemnation. This is the weapon of the devil against believers.

The Holy Spirit only convicts the world ( unbelievers) of sin because they don't believe in Christ Jesus.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 30, 2017
jiggaz:
Anytime you sin, what convicts you is your conscience not the Holy Spirit. Conscience came about after the fall of Adam in the garden. Everyone has it. Every believer has it, that is what convicts a believer when he sin not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit convicts a believer of Righteousness ( that you are still the righteousness of God in Christ). But most believers are insensitive to the voice of the Holy Spirit in this situation, rather they listen to the voice of their conscience and wallow in condemnation. This is the weapon of the devil against believers.

The Holy Spirit only convicts the world ( unbelievers) of sin because they don't believe in Christ Jesus.
true but shouldn't believers have a good conscience..

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 3:30pm On Sep 30, 2017
Ferisidowu:
true but shouldn't believers have a good conscience..
A good conscience for the believer is a conscience devoid of fears that might be planted by the enemy. A good conscience is simply focusing on Christ Jesus and His Finished Work on the Cross. Even when you have bad thoughts creep into your mind, cast it down and bring it under the obedience of Christ. Christ is the remedy for all battles of the mind.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 3:33pm On Sep 30, 2017
jiggaz:
A good conscience for the believer is a conscience devoid of fears that might be planted by the enemy. A good conscience is simply focusing on Christ Jesus and His Finished Work on the Cross. Even when you have bad thoughts creep into your mind, cast it down and bring it under the obedience of Christ. Christ is the remedy for all battles of the mind.

now what is the finished work of Christ that I shouldn't grow in righteousness
Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 3:42pm On Sep 30, 2017
Ferisidowu:

now what is the finished work of Christ that I shouldn't grow in righteousness

The Finished Work of Christ is the Salvation, the Deliverance, The Provision, The Wholeness, The Preservation and The Peace He achieved for us on the Cross of Calvary. His work is perfectly finished and completely complete. Not to be repeated again.

Plz which righteousness are you talking about your own righteousness?( self righteousness) Or the Righteousness of God given to us through Christ at the cross

Doing things or work for the Lord is very good because we are created unto good works. But what is your motive? Are you growing in your own righteousness as you term it, to make yourself more pleasing to the Lord? Or are you doing it because of your gratitude and love for what Christ did for you at the Cross?

There is nothing you can do to make God love you more or less. The love he has for you is complete the first day you received Christ into your life. You are Holy, Righteous and Blameless before God all because of what Christ purchased for us at the Cross.

So think again, what is your motive. Most good works done out of misguided zeal or not done as a gratitude to God because of what Christ did, will all be burned at the Bema Seat of Christ.

N.B Working for the Lord is good... Very very good!! I work for the Lord too.. But not to make myself more righteous or holy before God ( that's an insult to the Finished Work Of Christ on the Cross) but because of my love and gratitude for what Christ did for me at the Cross.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Myths About The Holy Spirit - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 10:06pm On Oct 04, 2017
jiggaz:
The Finished Work of Christ is the Salvation, the Deliverance, The Provision, The Wholeness, The Preservation and The Peace He achieved for us on the Cross of Calvary. His work is perfectly finished and completely complete. Not to be repeated again.

Plz which righteousness are you talking about your own righteousness?( self righteousness) Or the Righteousness of God given to us through Christ at the cross

Doing things or work for the Lord is very good because we are created unto good works. But what is your motive? Are you growing in your own righteousness as you term it, to make yourself more pleasing to the Lord? Or are you doing it because of your gratitude and love for what Christ did for you at the Cross?

There is nothing you can do to make God love you more or less. The love he has for you is complete the first day you received Christ into your life. You are Holy, Righteous and Blameless before God all because of what Christ purchased for us at the Cross.

So think again, what is your motive. Most good works done out of misguided zeal or not done as a gratitude to God because of what Christ did, will all be burned at the Bema Seat of Christ.

N.B Working for the Lord is good... Very very good!! I work for the Lord too.. But not to make myself more righteous or holy before God ( that's an insult to the Finished Work Of Christ on the Cross) but because of my love and gratitude for what Christ did for me at the Cross.

what is the effect of Christ righteousness

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Church Do You Attend? / Thank God For One Thing In Your Life / Your Attitude To Sin Determines Your Salvation/Perfection, Not Activities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.