Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,765 members, 7,802,337 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? (10797 Views)

Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS / Nine Things Nigerian Bankers Hate About Their Jobs / How Do People Survive After Losing Their Jobs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by ItuExchange(m): 3:58am On Mar 25, 2017
Why do people quit their jobs at dream companies like Facebook or Google?

I can only speak for my own decision to leave Google in 2010. It's a great company full of amazingly talented people with access to incredible resources.

So why leave? Google was simply too big for me. I'd come from Endeca, a startup that I helped grow from a founding team to 500, and I didn't realize how different it would be to join a large company where the connection was inherently less personal. It simply wasn't a good fit for me.

I left Google after a year to join LinkedIn -- then a 700-person company -- and my role there was much more expansive and more personal. In my 4.5 years there I worked with groups across the company, getting involved any effort where I could productively contribute. It was awesome!

But growth happens. By the time LinkedIn reached 7000 people it wasn't the same company for me. I was ready for something small again -- and something far more personal.

So I joined a health care company as CTO in May 2015, with the goal of helping improve the lives of millions of people. It turned out that wasn't my dream job either. So now I'm taking a break from full-time work, doing an assortment of advising, consulting, speaking, and writing.

In short, there's no such thing as a dream company. It's up to us to dream, and to find the opportunities that align with those dreams. Good luck finding yours!
Source: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-quit-their-jobs-at-dream-companies-like-Facebook-or-Google-1

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by LyfeJennings(m): 7:00am On Mar 25, 2017
First to comment

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by emsco(m): 7:01am On Mar 25, 2017
Second person to comment... I dedicate this to all my fellow hustlers and job seekers,May God grant our request

7 Likes

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Nobody: 7:01am On Mar 25, 2017
I left my job at Siemens LTD NG Lagos in 2013 to head my moms schl in abuja. I always appreciated the experience and exposure garnered at the company. Taking up the challenge at the school was herculean and less lucrative, but my love for kids kept me going. We are way better now than 2013, God's been faithful.

Meanwhile TTC

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Nobody: 7:03am On Mar 25, 2017
T
Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Nobody: 7:03am On Mar 25, 2017
Very inspirational
Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by okusebi(m): 7:03am On Mar 25, 2017
op is high on marijuana

14 Likes

Thank God you said you're speaking for yourself..... I rest my case
Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by soldierdollar(m): 7:04am On Mar 25, 2017
angry
Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by housestark: 7:04am On Mar 25, 2017
They leave because when they get the jobs they've wanted so badly, they then realize that it wasn't all it said it was. It's a typical case of 'be careful what you wish for because you just might get it'.

36 Likes

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by toluine56(m): 7:05am On Mar 25, 2017
OP I don't understand your post. What do you mean 'too big for you'? I think you gave up easily and couldn't brace up to the challenge. How hard can working at google be? Infac I dey vex now. Every IT professionals dream ; Google, Facebook, andela (seriously aiming at this) and many more.
Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by ednut1(m): 7:05am On Mar 25, 2017
undecided if shell gimme work na der i go die. Most times pple cant stand the ass licking nd eye service

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by adioolayi(m): 7:05am On Mar 25, 2017
You no tell us you left those big companies after making enough money.... or you left the way you came in

When you are rich to certain extent.. you can preach Career talk with sugar coated mouth. Just like motivational speakers.... I Yinmu for you

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by olaxx: 7:05am On Mar 25, 2017
Reason is because our definition of job satisfaction and happiness is a function of time and circumstances.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Nobody: 7:05am On Mar 25, 2017
I do ask myself this same question during my I.T
period in UBA, I will just hear people resign and
joined diamond, zenith, gtb etc or oil companies,
so I thought the later places are better until I
heard about the people employed to fill thier role
- they also resign (NOT sacked) from this places
our former staff are running to, same reports from
my friends working in other places and the issues
is NOT money, some will even leave for a lesser
pay
and it's not like the current employer is biting
them - so why the trend?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by abbaapple: 7:06am On Mar 25, 2017
how much were u bin paid at google??
Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Millz404(m): 7:07am On Mar 25, 2017
Op u try.... Boys dey here d find anyone, u d fly from one to another.....

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by jendy36(m): 7:08am On Mar 25, 2017
Why would he quit working with a big company? Is that he doesntr get the work life balance he deserves or what. I don't understand because k know his paycheck should be fat
Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Nobody: 7:09am On Mar 25, 2017
adioolayi:
You no tell us you left those bug companies after making enough money.... or you left the way you came in

When you are rich to certain extent.. you can preach Career talk with sugar coated mouth. Just like motivational speakers.... I Yinmu for you

So true, after them don blow, dem go cun tell us say *follow your passion* undecided

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by LyfeJennings(m): 7:09am On Mar 25, 2017
housestark:
They leave because when they get the jobs they've wanted so badly, they then realize that it wasn't all it said it was. It's a typical case of 'be careful what you wish for because you just might get it'.

Exactly
My salary isn't mouth watering
It's just there but I would kill to have this job years back and now, I can't wait to quit.
I want to do my own thing and be totally independent

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 25, 2017
In Nigeria, people hardly voluntarily quit dream/big companies, except to another dream company.

Dream companies in Nigeria include IOCs Shell, Chevron, Total, NLNG, Exxon, Agip, Addax and NNPC (even though NNPC isn't that cool for non-management staff, but highly perceived to b cool by people outside)

You see people work 20-30 years in these companies.

However, some people Are now quitting to set up their own business or join smaller companies that need their expertise eg IOC staff join independent oil companies. .

6 Likes

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by dexterinc2003: 7:10am On Mar 25, 2017
The OP seems more comfortable working for relatively smaller companies. My question for him is; If it was your company, and it grew beyond expetations, would you still quit?

P.S:I think you are overqualified for these jobs, I expect you to start up something big soon. wink

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Moving4: 7:11am On Mar 25, 2017
People live just to chase their own dreams & start their own dream job
Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Bisjosh(f): 7:12am On Mar 25, 2017
Humans are insatiable and its just a matter of time before you get tired and want somewhere else

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by muhakeem(m): 7:12am On Mar 25, 2017
due to personal reasons
Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Nobody: 7:15am On Mar 25, 2017
I do ask myself this same question during my I.T period in UBA, I will just hear people resign and joined diamond, zenith, gtb etc or oil companies, so I thought the later places are better until I heard about the people employed to fill thier role - they also resign (NOT sacked) from this places our former staff are running to, same reports from my friends working in other places and the issues is NOT money, some will even leave for a lesser pay
and it's not like the current employer is biting them - so why the trend?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by nenergy(m): 7:16am On Mar 25, 2017
These guys have mind. When I'm looking for big company to join, they need small companies. Goan join GNLD people now grin
Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by she234: 7:18am On Mar 25, 2017
I like the part where he said ' we all dream differently'. The story obviously didn't happen in our very own Naija, where many people have abandoned their dreams and are only trying to survive. In such countries people follow their passion because level of poverty and rate of unemployment is not as high as Nigeria. And of course there are better chances of getting jobs in very good companies. There comes a time in an individual's life where physical conditions of work and remuneration are no longer enough to keep an employee on the job, In such cases job satisfaction becomes a key factor.OP has left jobs that he felt are no longer mentally satisfying.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by dokunbam(m): 7:18am On Mar 25, 2017
Because they are not fulfilled.

That's human nature

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Nobody: 7:20am On Mar 25, 2017
I'm asked this question so much! Why did you leave Company A, why did you leave company Y?

The truth is that we go to work more than we stay home. So, for me, the environment and cultue at work, should not only inspire me but contribute to my happiness and growth in more than financial terms.

At one time, company A was a dream place to work but as I grew my dreams grew with me too!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Quit Their Jobs At Dream/big Companies? by Pavore9: 7:20am On Mar 25, 2017
Dat9jakid:

So true, after them don blow, dem go cun tell us say *follow your passion* undecided

There is nothing wrong in following your passion. I followed my passion in Agriculture with almost nothing but today, it is a world of endless opportunities.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FGN-ALAT Digital Skillnovation Training Starts Today: Share Your Challenge Here / 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report / 28 Oil Workers Trapped, 100 Rescued In Conoil Fire Accident In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.