Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,586 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis (16005 Views)

Karmod Technologies Sustainable Moves To Solve Housing Problems In Africa / How To Solve Housing Problem In Nigeria With Capital Market And Pension Funds / Lagos Living: Solving Nigeria's Megacity Housing Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Rossikk(m): 10:26pm On Mar 25, 2017
AS IT WAS IN EGYPT......

AFRICANS REVERT TO ANCIENT CONSTRUCTION METHODS TO SOLVE HOUSING CRISIS

Semi-arid regions of Africa face unique obstacles in their efforts to address a growing housing crisis. For years people built roofs with bush timber, but thanks to climate change and deforestation, those building methods are no longer feasible. And sheet metal is simply too expensive for most rural families. So the Nubian Vault Association is bringing back an ages-old sustainable building material: mud bricks.

Back in 2000, Burkina Faso farmer Seri Youlou and Frenchman Thomas Granier started the association, which is also known by its French name Association La Voûte Nubienne (AVN). They resurrected what they call the Nubian Vault technique, or the process of constructing sturdy vaulted roofs with mud bricks similar to processes employed [thousands of years] ago in Ancient Egypt. The bricks are formed with earth and water and then dried in the sun. Houses with these vaulted roofs last for at least 50 years, or even more if they are well maintained. They’re also cheaper than tin or timber, and stay warm in cold weather and cool in warm weather.

The association also works for economic growth by training local apprentices and supporting village masons in multiple West African countries. They aim for a self-sustaining Nubian Vault market, and according to Curbed, their A Roof, A Skill, A Market program has made a $22 million economic impact. They’ve trained over 380 masons, with hundreds more learning as apprentices.

The group has now helped homeowners build over 1,800 homes across Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, and Senegal. A Nubian Vault home costs around $1,000, and families can lower costs by making their own mud bricks.

Not only has the technique helped put a roof over families’ heads and driven economic development, it’s benefited the environment as well. According to AVN, since September 2015 Nubian Vault homes have saved around 55,000 tons of carbon dioxide from going into the atmosphere.

http://inhabitat.com/ancient-green-building-technique-helps-ease-west-africa-housing-crisis/

Our fathers....

Pharaoh Tutunkhamun (circa 1300 BC)

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Justuceleague2: 10:33pm On Mar 25, 2017
Can they rebuild the controversial pyramid now?
Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Horus(m): 10:34pm On Mar 25, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdPI7qW32zA

La Voûte Nubienne revives ancient building technique to "transform housing" in Sub-Saharan Africa

Thomas Granier explains why his organisation La Voûte Nubienne believes the future of housing in Africa can be transformed by reviving a 3,500-year-old building technique.

3 Likes

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Rossikk(m): 10:42pm On Mar 25, 2017
Justuceleague2:
Can they rebuild the controversial pyramid now?

If they had to they probably could. I'm sure the knowledge is still there somewhere.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by afoltundeseun(m): 7:00am On Mar 26, 2017
Welcome development

My living room. grin grin

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by SexyNairalander: 7:03am On Mar 26, 2017
booked

everything just revolves. . .life goes on

happy sunday ya all

2 Likes

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by celestialAgent(m): 7:03am On Mar 26, 2017
Reasonable!

Using 100% cement does not mean quality. My grandpa's houses (story building) built with mud and only plastered with cement still stand still after 80years!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Eddygourdo(m): 7:04am On Mar 26, 2017
Trust the no do gooders to criticize it as being for the poor and wretched simply cos its african. Great sustainable solution to housing though

8 Likes

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by sainty2k3(m): 7:04am On Mar 26, 2017
So,show us the examples of completed houses using this new model. I'm not sure there is anyone willing to live in mud house, let's see how u manage the aesthetics

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Eddygourdo(m): 7:05am On Mar 26, 2017
afoltundeseun:
Welcome development

are u a barbie ? Perhaps a barbie man. What's with pink mehn

5 Likes

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by blackpanda: 7:06am On Mar 26, 2017
Termites go finish d house ehn
Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by herbeedar(m): 7:07am On Mar 26, 2017
I think is high time we look inward in tackling the housing crisis in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Kenshinmunac(m): 7:07am On Mar 26, 2017
Egyptians were the best engineers on earth until the invasion.

3 Likes

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Kenshinmunac(m): 7:08am On Mar 26, 2017
afoltundeseun:
Welcome development

Oboi I like this your room o.

Who design am for you Abeg?

I gats contact the person asap

1 Like

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by bravesoul247(m): 7:10am On Mar 26, 2017
afoltundeseun:
Welcome development

Is that a living room or a bedroom? Confusing bedroom for living has shown that you stay in an igboro in Ajegunle.

15 Likes

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Nobody: 7:11am On Mar 26, 2017
Only if our so called African Engineers and technologist with big degrees can find a way to invent a machine to modernize the mud making process at a cheaper rate and make it look sexy. Cos even during crises one is safe in mud houses cos bullet can not penetrate it easily . Also, Imagine nature's wounder @ work, no mechanism required but it turns cold when the weather is hot as it similarly turns hot when the weather is cold especially during harmattan ...Chai, natures wonder. Tuale

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by StarOnEarth(m): 7:12am On Mar 26, 2017
One way or the other the new leads to the old.
if you study the history of architecture well you will understand that new design are gotten from an extract of the past.

1 Like

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by baby124: 7:15am On Mar 26, 2017
I have seen pictures of some very beautiful and well finished mud cottages. I will like to see a completed version of this project.

1 Like

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by bridgesjnr: 7:16am On Mar 26, 2017
not bad....howbeit, I see no reason why we should be reverting to old techniques when the advent of 3D Printing has dawned on us...

3D printers have already started being used in construction of houses in the US, UK, China, and Italy (they actually 3D printed a small village) and many other developed countries... and these 3D printed houses not only took less time and resources but also have been proven to last longer than conventional buildings (135 years)..

and we at BrainWire; a pioneer 3D print company with our partners in Australia are happy to bring this innovation down to Nigeria and Africa...

for more on 3D printing, you can call 08164024723 or visit us at www.brainwire-ng.com
Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by checkolatunji: 7:18am On Mar 26, 2017
bravesoul247:
Is that a living room or a bedroom? Confusing bedroom for living has shown that you stay in an igboro in Ajegunle.

You wicked sha

Bet why?

1 Like

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by money121(m): 7:19am On Mar 26, 2017
Nice Development grin

Call/WhatsApp 080-85-310-359 for your Roofing Sheet price...

See my signature for more Details
Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by dingbang(m): 7:19am On Mar 26, 2017
afoltundeseun:
Welcome development

in heaven abi? grin
Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 26, 2017
Phinity318:
Only if our so called African Engineers and technologist with big degrees can find a way to invent a machine to modernize the mud making process at a cheaper rate and make it look sexy. Cos even during crises one is safe in mud houses cos bullet can not penetrate it easily . Also, Imagine nature's wounder @ work, no mechanism required but it turns cold when the weather is hot as it similarly turns hot when the weather is cold especially during harmattan ...Chai, natures wonder. Tuale
Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Codyt(m): 7:33am On Mar 26, 2017
afoltundeseun:
Welcome development

WITH A PINK THEME? damn nigga you is gay??!
Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Nobody: 7:39am On Mar 26, 2017
afoltundeseun:
Welcome development

Idonbelieveu...except you are a princess or Bobrisky.

1 Like

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by fkj950ax(m): 7:43am On Mar 26, 2017
afoltundeseun:
Welcome development

Are you a drag queen?
Why is a guy's living room all girly, pink, silky...

1 Like

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by bjt(m): 7:45am On Mar 26, 2017
afoltundeseun:
Welcome development

This should be a girl's room now
Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by emmaitive(m): 7:57am On Mar 26, 2017
Happy sunday y'all. mk sure u go to church not stay home
Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by musicwriter(m): 8:02am On Mar 26, 2017
First of all, they didn't call themselves Nubian. It was Europeans that called them Nubian, when in fact the real name is Kemet or Cush/Kush. They should begin by restoring back their original names in the history books, returning the cache of artifacts they stole from Kemet, and rewriting history to reflect the truth about Kemetic origin of human civilization. After that anything else can follow.

3 Likes

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Domnick(m): 8:04am On Mar 26, 2017
afoltundeseun:
Welcome development

i dont see any living room i see a bedroom instead
Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by NaWetinDey(m): 8:07am On Mar 26, 2017
afoltundeseun:
Welcome development

If this is your living you and your profile says you are a man, then you may be gay or a woman wrapper. grin[b][/b]

1 Like

Re: Africans Revive Ancient Egyptian Construction Methods To Solve Housing Crisis by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 26, 2017
That pyramid, na their gods come down to help them build am

(1) (2) (Reply)

Estimated Cost Of Building Ground Floor Of A Story Building. / Pop Ceiling And Floor Tiles / Uncompleted 2-storey Building Collapses In Ikeja, Lagos (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.