Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:52 AM

‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers (13872 Views)

Court Grants Victor Giadom Access To Operate As APC Acting Chairman / Constitution Has No Provision For Impeachment Of Acting President / EFCC Act Makes It Compulsory To Expose The Owner Of The Ikoyi N15bn Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by HungerBAD: 5:59am On Mar 26, 2017
By Joseph Onyekwere (Lagos) and Azimazi Momoh Jimoh (Abuja) | 26 March 2017 | 4:33 am

• Senior Lawyers Urge President To Nominate Replacement
• Senate: We ‘Ve Been Vindicated

Senior lawyers have warned that the continued stay in office by the chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, after two unsuccessful screening attempts at the Senate breaches the enabling law of the anti-graft agency.

The lawyers disclosed that there is no provision for acting chairman under the EFCC (Establishment) Act, 2004, adding that since Section 3 of the EFCC act provides for Senate confirmation, the powers of the President in such appointment is not absolute.

Lagos lawyer, Sylva Ogwemoh (SAN) said: “The power of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria under the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Establishment) Act, to appoint a Chairman for the EFCC is not absolute. The President’s appointment is subject to confirmation by the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“What this means in effect is that the President cannot under any circumstance act alone in the appointment of a Chairman for the EFCC, without the confirmation of the Senate, and where the Senate has refused confirmation as in the case of Magu, that matter ends there.
“This is because there is no provision in the EFCC Act for the office of an acting Chairman as the head of the Commission. The office created by the Act is that of a Chairman who shall be the Chief Executive and Accounting Officer of the Commission.”

Ogwemoh contended that “proceeding to retain Magu in the face of the non-confirmation by the Senate may be viewed by many as a way of circumventing the law” noting, “although the gentleman is doing well in the performance of his duties; the law is the law and must be obeyed by all Nigerians.”

Former Abia State Attorney General and commissioner for Justice, Awa Kalu (SAN) said the best thing to avoid a violation of the enabling act is for the president to nominate another person.

He said: “Since the Senate has rejected his nomination, the best thing is for the President to nominate another person. That is also the international best practice. If the law says your position requires Senate confirmation, the most reasonable thing is that you cannot be acting indefinitely, without confirmation; otherwise the confirmation requirement in the law will become redundant.

Kalu noted that justification for the rejection is immaterial if the law must be applied, stressing, “whatever the issues are, not minding his capacity to do the job, he failed confirmation twice, so he can return to his job as a policeman.”

But a renowned professor of Law and senior advocate, who does not want his name mentioned, said there is no room for indefinite acting capacity for the agency, adding: “If there is no room, then it means that he was just trying to fill a void.”

“Even acting is supposed to be for a given period. There is no way somebody will continue to act indefinitely. Magu has gone for Senate screening unsuccessfully twice. I have not read the Act setting up the EFCC, but the information available to me, which I considered authentic, is that there is not even a provision for acting in the agency.

“In other words, you either be a substantial chairman or not. Therefore, there must have been a fundamental flaw in leaving him to work in acting capacity all these while. Having said so, given that the person has to be subjected to parliamentary scrutiny and confirmation and having done so unsuccessfully twice, I think that the best thing is for another person to step in,” he emphasised.

The law teacher said if the tradition and convention in civilised climes are to be followed, the idea of representing someone should not even arise, unless there is obvious evidence that obviates what has been previously done.

But, Albert Akpomudje (SAN) said the rejection twice shows that there’s a crack between the executive and the Senate, remarking that before presenting the name for a second time, the ruling party, APC, with its majority in the Senate, ought to have done its homework well.

His words: “I read that the rejection was on account of what the DSS wrote to the Senate. If those things are truth, then I don’t see the reason the President must insists on the man heading the EFCC. The constitution did not make any provision as to how it should be resolved, if the confirming authority refuses the nomination of an appointer. That is the same thing with the Senate refusing to confirm the nomination of Mr. President, otherwise, it has to be a political resolution.”

Citing the instance when the National Judicial Council (NJC) nominated a candidate for the office of Chief Judge of Rivers State and the governor who was supposed to be the appointing officer rejected the nomination, Akpomudje declared: “It is the kind of scenario that played out in Rivers State when Chibuike Amaechi was the governor.

“There’s no legal provision in the case of these government agencies as to how long one can be in acting capacity. So the onus is on the President to find another person for the job.”
Meanwhile, spokesman of the Senate, Dr. Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi has stated that the leaked report of the Directorate of State Security (DSS) sent to the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN, on the integrity of Mr. Ibrahim Magu has vindicated the decision of the legislative chamber to reject his nomination as chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

In a statement yesterday, in Abuja, Abdullahi said: “Following several calls made to me today by journalists seeking my comments on the leaked report on Mr. Ibrahim Magu, which was more damning than the one submitted to us, I can only say that myself and my colleagues have been vindicated.

“From that report, which is now public, it is obvious the Director General, State Security Service even tried to give Magu soft landing in the report that was sent to the Senate. The recent report is messier and shows that our decision not to confirm his nomination was right.

“We therefore call on all Nigerians to continue to have full confidence and trust on the Nigerian Senate as it discharges its responsibilities according to the letter and spirit of the Nigerian constitution.”

https://guardian.ng/news/no-provision-for-acting-chairman-in-efcc-act/

5 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by eezeribe(m): 6:01am On Mar 26, 2017
Magu's case is simply 'corruption fighting back'.
The 'Demons' that hold Nigeria are too strong.If you can't beat them...

I DEDICATE this FTC to the late Dr.Allwell orji(AKA Mpompo).
People are free to talk thrash,it's just a sign of ignorance.
Rest in peace Brother.
May God give Aunty Rose,Bubu and Kc the strength to carry on.

ADIEU!!!!!!!!!

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by gratiaeo(m): 6:13am On Mar 26, 2017
eezeribe:
You need your head examine

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by eezeribe(m): 6:13am On Mar 26, 2017
gratiaeo:

And you need your use of English examined

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by eezeribe(m): 6:14am On Mar 26, 2017
gratiaeo:

And you need your use of English examined

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Kondomatic(m): 6:21am On Mar 26, 2017
eezeribe:

You are right... I just escaped from yaba left.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Atiku2019: 6:26am On Mar 26, 2017
Observing
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by freeze001(f): 6:34am On Mar 26, 2017
This is what I've always said. The power of appointment by the president in this regard is subject to the confirmation of the Senate! It is not the spirit and intent of the law that an appointee remains in acting capacity ad infinitum especially when the supervening 'leg' of the appointment has been sought and lost! The moment Mr Magu was presented to the Senate, his appointment became subject to the confirmation or rejection of the Senate.

Mr President or his handlers, since he's too sick to even care, should nominate another EFCC head and let the appointment be confirmed by the Senate. Besides, Magu is not d only or most qualified to head the EFCC.

23 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by chiboyo(m): 6:44am On Mar 26, 2017
Before removing the log of wood in your neighbours' eye, make sure yours is free from any encumbrance..

Apparently, Magu did not heed to this age old adage!

6 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Splashme: 6:53am On Mar 26, 2017
freeze001:
This is what I've always said. The power of appointment by the president is subject to the confirmation of the Senate! It is not the spirit and intent of the law that an appointee remains in acting capacity ad infinitum! The moment Mr Magu was presented to the Senate, his appointment became subject to the confirmation or rejection of the Senate.

Mr President or his handlers, since he's too sick to even care, should nominate another EFCC head and let the appointment be confirmed by the Senate.

The President himself can't even reason

10 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by ZombieTERROR: 6:57am On Mar 26, 2017
It's even corrupt to keep magu in an acting capacity.. ..

10 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by ZombieTERROR: 6:59am On Mar 26, 2017
eezeribe:

I DEDICATE this FTC to the late Dr.Allwell orji(AKA Mpompo).
People are free to talk thrash,it's just a sign of ignorance.
Rest in peace Brother.
May God give Aunty Rose,Bubu and Kc the strength to carry on.

ADIEU!!!!!!!!!
Why did ur brother jump ?

2 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by hannyjay(f): 7:55am On Mar 26, 2017
When I see d names of d SANs hmmm

1 Like

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Dottore: 8:50am On Mar 26, 2017
The battle between the executive and the legislative arm continues
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by spartan117(m): 8:51am On Mar 26, 2017
CR77:
cool
Comparing dis govt with a snail is an insult to all snails bcuz snails move forward albeit at a slow pace, but dis govt is in reverse mode

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Sunnymatey(m): 8:53am On Mar 26, 2017
I dont think Buhari understands the implication of Magu's rejection oh, as far as he is concern he is done with EFCC appointment.

8 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by senatorshegsy5: 8:55am On Mar 26, 2017
Let's c how it goes. Naija anything is possible
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by CR77(f): 8:55am On Mar 26, 2017
cool
Sunnymatey:
I dont think Buhari understands the implication of Magu's rejection oh, as far as he is concern he is done with EFCC appointment.

15 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Sketchandcraft(m): 8:55am On Mar 26, 2017
Hammed Ali will take over from Magu while Magu will be his vice... A new custom boss will be appointed at custom LoBATan...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by brownsugarxxx: 9:00am On Mar 26, 2017
This senior lawyer fails to quote the act... arguments not solid enough

1 Like

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by duni04(m): 9:00am On Mar 26, 2017
They will always get biafran lawyers to come out with stupid conclusions like this. There is nothing illegal about Magu's satus as Acting chairman!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Vickiweezy(m): 9:00am On Mar 26, 2017
OK

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Inspectorsuga(m): 9:06am On Mar 26, 2017
APC's reign of terror continues....
RIP to democracy in d zoo...

6 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by chuksjuve(m): 9:06am On Mar 26, 2017
ok
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by sakalisis(m): 9:07am On Mar 26, 2017
Ok
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Inspectorsuga(m): 9:12am On Mar 26, 2017
duni04:
They will always get biafran lawyers to come out with stupid conclusions like this. There is nothing illegal about Magu's satus as Acting chairman!

There is also nothing illegal abt forcefully moving u to the nearest psychiatric clinic and compelling u to have ur head examined....
Cheap tribal bigot...

20 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:16am On Mar 26, 2017
Ok. Let's wait and see how it will unfold.
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by yahmohy27: 9:17am On Mar 26, 2017
duni04:
Corrupt leaders are the one behind all the yama yama things most especially the SENATE
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by kclee(m): 9:24am On Mar 26, 2017
Non of my business if the corrupt are been exposed and convicted. Let magu continue with excellent performance @ efcc , with continues conviction. let ignorant people continue supporting corrupt individual, let ignorant people try to travel to other countries that have oil & gas reserve like Nigeria & see it they would not cry for Nigeria. Why would senate confirm magu when 99% of members have corruption case with the efcc. Corruption is fighting back , my people open your eyes and see.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by bekpo(m): 9:26am On Mar 26, 2017
These people calling for Magu's sack is either corrupt or they r under EFCC investigation. They quot the law blindly to deceive the public. Though section 2(3)of the EFCC Act give the president power to appoint a substantive EFCC chairman subject to the confirmation by the senate. Section 11 of the interpretation Act defines what constitute appointment, it provides that it can be either in acting capacity and or for a term. And in fact it went to state that the appointment in acting capacity can be done from time to time. This gives Mr president the power to renominate Magu from time to time. Which means he can continue in acting capacity till Infinitum. So, power to appoint and or continued existence of Magu as EFCC chair is exclusively under the whims and carpreses of the President.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by sapientia(m): 9:28am On Mar 26, 2017
Am not concerned about what our politicians say or do.. i believe they are already lost..

But the actions of our youths makes my heart bleed. DSS director was appointed by Buahri and cleared by the NASS.

Buhari should have told him to write a sweet report about Magu.. now a sane being is blaming the NASS.

APC should simply get their acts together cos as of now, i see them as having failed in all ways..

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

El-Rufai: Incompetent People In Government Reason For Failure / Solar-Powered Electronic Voting System To Replace Card Readers In 2019 / Godwin Emefiele Appears Before Senate Committee, Asks To Speak Off-Camera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.