Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,452 members, 7,781,307 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:11 PM

Nigerians In Los Angeles - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Los Angeles (6587 Views)

Calling On Nairaland Americans :) Pls I Need Cheap Way Of Getting To Los Angeles / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / ╚►►►►► Discover Los Angeles! ~ Photos presented by blackspade ◄◄◄◄◄╝ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In Los Angeles by oyewolejos(m): 9:47pm On Dec 22, 2009
Any Nigerian living in LA?I just got my Student Visa to come and study at CSUN and am coming next week.I would be happy to meet Nigerians who can help me to settle down quickly as i don't know any Nigerian there.Is there any Nigerian association in L.A?If yes please drop a contact.Expecting from you Angelenos.
ONE LOVE
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by Parohfrey(f): 10:20pm On Dec 22, 2009
@pOSTER

Stay by yourself- or else you want to go back to Naija quicker than expected?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by suxes2005(m): 10:25pm On Dec 22, 2009
Paroh_frey:

@pOSTER

Stay by yourself- or else you want to go back to Naija quicker than expected?

Meaning??

SHALOM
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by DisGuy: 10:30pm On Dec 22, 2009
I think she meant meaning Nigerians are trouble  cheesy

Look, get there first no one will drop what they are doing for you, just try do things for yourself, eventually
you will meet students Nigerians and non-Nigerians
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by mamagee3(f): 10:32pm On Dec 22, 2009
Good for you! wink
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by suxes2005(m): 10:38pm On Dec 22, 2009
O.K

Cleared!

@poster: i fink d best tin is to b coded!

SHALOM
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by johnkent(m): 10:55pm On Dec 22, 2009
there are good nigerians but u just need to be careful with a majority of em. If u wanna stay outta trouble, have one or 2 nigerian friends if indeed u really can't live without speaking ibo or yoruba to someone else.
Much better to make friends at work/school that u can trust. I have a hard time trusting my fellow nigerians. Well, i dont deal with them anymore. so, am good.
Love Nigerian parties thou.
Long live the federal republic of Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by suxes2005(m): 11:11pm On Dec 22, 2009
Depends on d type of person you are and wt u r realy lookin for.

JK has said it all, even here in 9ja, we do scam ourselves let alone outside d country. if u need to speak igbo or yoruba den call ya momma or dad @ home or rather call me, we go dey talk for fone and i sabi speak ma language well-well (Abeokuta)

SHALOM
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by TopeFl(m): 6:32am On Dec 23, 2009
Try and code ya self, do not depend on somebody because he or she is Nigerian. Nobody has time for any side attraction, its only a matter of time b4 u get d jeck. Study well and remember whose child you are and the reason for your journey. Peace.
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by suxes2005(m): 7:23am On Dec 23, 2009
Tope_Fl:

Try and code ya self, do not depend on somebody because he or she is Nigerian. Nobody has time for any side attraction, its only a matter of time b4 u get d jeck. Study well and remember whose child you are and the reason for your journey. Peace.

Some sentences are enough 4 d wise!

SHALOM
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by johnkent(m): 7:26am On Dec 23, 2009
oyewolejos:

Any Nigerian living in LA?I just got my Student Visa to come and study at CSUN and am coming next week.I would be happy to meet Nigerians who can help me to settle down quickly as i don't know any Nigerian there.Is there any Nigerian association in L.A?If yes please drop a contact.Expecting from you Angelenos.
ONE LOVE
Am moving to sacramento in 3 wks so gimme a call when u get to Cali. Its a few hrs drive from LA thou.
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by oyewolejos(m): 5:54pm On Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for your replies and advice but that doesn't mean there are still no good Nigerians out there despite all our negative reputation.I still like to meet my fellow countrymen in L.A when i arrive.
NIGERIA GOOD PEOPLE GREAT NATION
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by gongoaso1: 7:39pm On Dec 26, 2009
oyewolejos:

Thanks for your replies and advice but that doesn't mean there are still no good Nigerians out there despite all our negative reputation.I still like to meet my fellow countrymen in L.A when i arrive.
NIGERIA GOOD PEOPLE GREAT NATION

Easy chief!
You will surely meet them and you will be tired of their faces after a little while  cheesy
There still so many good Nigerians infact we are all good in our little ways tongue

just a word, DON'T expect too much, even from your family. Here you are majorly [b]O[/b]n [b]Y[/b]our [b]O[/b]wn (OYO). . . smiley
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by johnkent(m): 6:24am On Dec 27, 2009
gongo aso:

Easy chief!
You will surely meet them and you will be tired of their faces after a little while  cheesy
There still so many good Nigerians infact we are all good in our little ways tongue

just a word, DON'T expect too much, even from your family. Here you are majorly [b]O[/b]n [b]Y[/b]our [b]O[/b]wn (OYO). . . smiley
very few of us are lucky enough to have great family here that cares but most of us do not. so, do not reply solely on some aunt or uncle to help you out as u will be disappointed.
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by walelisha(m): 9:55pm On Mar 22, 2019
@oyewolejos.. Hi I am just reading your post in 2019. i am also in almost similar position now, I moved to Los Angeles about 3 months ago but have been difficulties with getting a job and acclimating to the new environment and I think you can be of great help with information and tips... Pls you can reach me via my email - seun.somadhi@yahoo.com. Thank you.
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by Nobody: 3:34am On Mar 23, 2019
walelisha:
@oyewolejos.. Hi I am just reading your post in 2019. i am also in almost similar position now, I moved to Los Angeles about 3 months ago but have been difficulties with getting a job and acclimating to the new environment and I think you can be of great help with information and tips... Pls you can reach me via my email - seun.somadhi@yahoo.com. Thank you.
What kind of visa do you have and what kind of job are you looking for?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by walelisha(m): 10:06pm On Mar 23, 2019
MajorJeffery:
What kind of visa do you have and what kind of job are you looking for?

I am actually an american citizen, my dad is american while my mum is Nigerian.... But I have lived in Nigeria all my life; came after completing my university degree in Nigeria. My american family in a way are not really able to empathise with my situation and so cannot reallly provide me with some neccessary OTs... about the job, I am actually looking into lab assistant jobs but then I wouldnt mind taking any job for the mean time whilst preparing to apply for a second bachelor's degree next year...
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by Nobody: 10:19pm On Mar 23, 2019
walelisha:

I am actually an american citizen, my dad is american while my mum is Nigerian.... But I have lived in Nigeria all my life; came after completing my university degree in Nigeria. My american family in a way are not really able to empathise with my situation and so cannot reallly provide me with some neccessary OTs... about the job, I am actually looking into lab assistant jobs but then I wouldnt mind taking any job for the mean time whilst preparing to apply for a second bachelor's degree next year...
Then you shouldn't have a problem. Get your Social security card, dmv license and get your degree evealuted by WES. Search for govt jobs, and federal, and state and county jobs unless you wanna go back to school and get a nursing degree like most Nigerians do. You can also go military but make sure you get your education evaluated before doing that. You don't really have problem, all you need is information. Use Google and search for government jobs.com.
LA County always advertise for Sheriff jobs, city jobs like police are everywhere and easy to get.
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by walelisha(m): 12:16am On Mar 24, 2019
MajorJeffery:
Then you shouldn't have a problem. Get your Social security card, dmv license and get your degree evealuted by WES. Search for govt jobs, and federal, and state and county jobs unless you wanna go back to school and get a nursing degree like most Nigerians do. You can also go military but make sure you get your education evaluated before doing that. You don't really have problem, all you need is information. Use Google and search for government jobs.com.
LA County always advertise for Sheriff jobs, city jobs like police are everywhere and easy to get.

Yeah thank you.. I have gotten a social security card (waited for about 6 weeks to get it though) and would soon get a dmv driver's license but meanwhile am still preparing for the test.

The issue is that am planning on continuing my education and yeah, I am working on my credential evaluations through WES (WAEC already sent them my transcript but still waiting on Unilorin)... so what I actually need now is a part time job , I have gone for many interviews (chemistry lab, stores and warehouse) but have not been able to land any job... including for a dishwasher position!.. So I thought there is something am not doing right and now am thinking of taking up a certification course in IT...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by walelisha(m): 7:31am On Mar 27, 2019
@MajorJeffery, Do you work in the US militiary sir? I dont know if this is a coincidence , yesterday I got an invitation for an intervirew in regards to a job I applied to in the US army... my mind wasnt even on it, I applied to it many weeks ago and had forgotten about it. So the recuiting sergeant even offered me a ride to and fro for the interview... I did the ASVAB test yesterday too and scored 83. It all happened so fast and right now am still weighing the options, I would really like your advise on it if you have any knowledge about the US army or the militiary system here. Thanks in advance.
Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by Nobody: 2:46pm On Mar 27, 2019
walelisha:
@MajorJeffery, Do you work in the US militiary sir? I dont know if this is a coincidence , yesterday I got an invitation for an intervirew in regards to a job I applied to in the US army... my mind wasnt even on it, I applied to it many weeks ago and had forgotten about it. So the recuiting sergeant even offered me a ride to and fro for the interview... I did the ASVAB test yesterday too and scored 83. It all happened so fast and right now am still weighing the options, I would really like your advise on it if you have any knowledge about the US army or the militiary system here. Thanks in advance.
Yes, it's a good foundation for you and your future generation if you plan to have roots in the US. If you have college degree, make a career out if it if you can. I don't need to tell you the benefits, you should know them by now. The demerits are there also but its merits are more to me. Go for it bro, but make sure you submit a college transcript if you have one, it will give you an edge.
You said you're planning to continue your education, the military will help with student loans and stuffs too so I suggest you go for it. Above all, it's all about what you have passion for.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Los Angeles by walelisha(m): 5:30am On Mar 28, 2019
MajorJeffery:
Yes, it's a good foundation for you and your future generation if you plan to have roots in the US. If you have college degree, make a career out if it if you can. I don't need to tell you the benefits, you should know them by now. The demerits are there also but its merits are more to me. Go for it bro, but make sure you submit a college transcript if you have one, it will give you an edge.
You said you're planning to continue your education, the military will help with student loans and stuffs too so I suggest you go for it. Above all, it's all about what you have passion for.

oh thanks. Yeah I have learnt about all the benefits and they are really tempting I must say -the experience,skills and education benefits among all. Yeah they have been asking for my transcripts too but like said that I am still waiting for my school to send them to WES for evaluation.. I dont know if they would accept the student's copy which I can easily ask to be scanned and sent to me via email. But then the great question am asking myself now is 'would I be able to cope with the physical and mental test?'

(1) (Reply)

USA Vs Canada Vs Australia: Easiest PR Through School? / Im Headed To Okota From Ojodu Berger Please Help / Christmas: 201 FRSC Mobile Courts To Begin Sitting Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.