Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,740 members, 7,806,014 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others (2211 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Live Broadcast On Sunday 6pm, Addresses IPOB, Others / Soyinka Backs IPOB, Call Nigeria An Artificial Creation / Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by k4kings(m): 7:01am On Mar 27, 2017
Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has called on Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, 74, to reveal the condition of his health after spending nearly two months in Britain on medical leave.

Buhari and Soyinka
Soyinka, who spoke in an interview with AFP at Paris Book Fair weekend, also said indigenous people had a right to assert themselves as a distinct people, even within a political and geographical zone anywhere in the world.

“He’s ill, there’s no question, and I wish for heaven’s sake that people in public positions would just be honest.

“Illness is part of our existence. Buhari owes it to the nation and I don’t know why he and his advisors are being so coy about it,” Soyinka said.
Soyinka, who also noted that US President, Donald Trump, exploited “latent xenophobia” to reach the White House, said a people had a right to agitate for self-autonomy within a geographical expression.

He was obviously reacting to the agitation for declaration of independent state of Biafra in the South East of Nigeria.
He said: “It’s not the real estate for me that defines a nation or a people, no, it’s a history, a culture.

What is a crime within an artificial entity like Nigeria? You have states being created which are not viable.”

Biafra unsuccessfully fought for independence in a brutal three-year civil war — during which Soyinka was imprisoned for nearly two years over allegations of espionage.

Separatist sentiment has grown since the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, was arrested in October 2015, sparking bloody clashes with security forces.

The military denied an allegation by Amnesty International in November that security agents killed some 150 Biafra protesters in the past year.
Soyinka said: “I cannot accept the notion that people have a right to kill other people because they want to assert their identity… It it doesn’t cost anything to recognise it.”

Ironically, IPOB threw its support behind Trump’s presidential campaign in the belief he would recognise their independence movement.
Soon after Britons voted to leave the European Union in a referendum last July, the group pushed for its own version of “Brexit” from Nigeria that it dubbed “Biafrexit”.

He said President Donald Trump, exploited “latent xenophobia” to reach the White House, decrying the erection of walls, especially in people’s minds, anywhere in the world.

He said: “He played to a latent xenophobic streak which exists in all societies including mine,” said Soyinka, who renounced his US green card upon Trump’s victory in November over the Republican’s anti-immigrant rhetoric. When I see that kind of conduct… to gain power, I’m completely revolted.”
Soyinka, who was awarded the Nobel prize for literature in 1986, said further: “To me a horrible moment was to watch hundreds of thousands of people actually applauding when (Trump) uttered these sentiments” during the election campaign.

“I’m against the erection of walls, especially in people’s minds,” the white-haired professor added. I’ve never made any bones about it, whether it’s happening in Nigeria” or elsewhere.”

Soyinka recalled when in 1983, faced with a steep drop in oil prices, the Nigerian government, “to cover up all its problems, decided to expel aliens”.
Some two million undocumented immigrants — mainly from nearby Ghana — were given a few weeks to leave the west African country, whose economy is driven by vast oil resources.

“There were hordes of refugees in ramshackle lorries going back to their home countries. Ever since, the chequered jute bag used by travellers throughout west Africa has been known as the “Ghana Must Go bag,” Soyinka said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/soyinka-asks-buhari-reveal-health-status-backs-ipob-others/

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 7:03am On Mar 27, 2017
AFONJAS don they tear/open eyes grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by sarrki(m): 7:07am On Mar 27, 2017
His health his not affecting his duties
Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by knuckbuck(m): 7:08am On Mar 27, 2017
Oga Soyinka, you are still here... I can not believe you have the guts to show your face after what you have put hapless Nigerians through with the sell of this dud called General Buhari.

7 Likes

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by sarrki(m): 7:10am On Mar 27, 2017
Ipob is confused right

Is this part of their agitation?
why asking him to declare his health statuis
Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by Nwodosis(m): 7:11am On Mar 27, 2017
If not for his tribe, I would have believed that he is sincere and saying the facts!

7 Likes

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by sarrki(m): 7:12am On Mar 27, 2017
knuckbuck:
Oga Soyinka, you are still here... I can not believe you have the guts to show your face after what you have put hapless Nigerians through with the sell of this dud called General Buhari.

He shows he's a patriotic Nigeria

we call it constructive criticism

less you forget

he's omoluabi, Omoluabi talks when need arises
Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by DIKEnaWAR: 7:12am On Mar 27, 2017
Soyinka should first of all reveal his own brain status. The way he has been talking and acting recently is unbecoming of a man of his pedigree. Let's confirm that he is alright and fit to ask Buhari questions.

If you ask me, Buhari and Soyinka need brain scan first.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by abescom: 7:12am On Mar 27, 2017
They will use Wole Soyinka and dump him soon. Like they are trying hard to adopt Atiku now.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by sarrki(m): 7:12am On Mar 27, 2017
Nwodosis:

what is this?
abescom:
K

following
Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by sarrki(m): 7:13am On Mar 27, 2017
DIKEnaWAR:
Soyinka should first of all reveal his own brain status. The way he has been talking and acting recently is unbecoming of a man of his pedigree. Let's confirm that he is alright and fit to ask Buhari questions.

If you ask me, Buhari and Soyinka need brain scan first.

when I see a confused wailer

I can tell

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by jumpandpas(m): 7:14am On Mar 27, 2017
sarrki:

Ipob is confused right

We are no more interested in his health status, all we know is that he DRANK HIV BLLOD in London hospital.

6 Likes

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by sarrki(m): 7:15am On Mar 27, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:
AFONJAS don they tear/open eyes grin
Check engine
Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by abescom: 7:15am On Mar 27, 2017
Watch Ipob praising the prof now. And watch them in few months when he says something that doesn't favour them.

Today he is not afonja, give it few months. It is their pastime, the "we are the victim" people.
Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by TippyTop(m): 7:16am On Mar 27, 2017
The romance between Soyinka and Bubu didn't last did it?
I laff in Kafanchan.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by chukwuibuipob: 7:17am On Mar 27, 2017
Old age related sickness. I'm IPOB but I want KANU to stay put in KUjE and outlive Mandela 27 yrs.He fit enter guinness book of record/Prisoner Noble price * Walk outa the thread*

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 7:17am On Mar 27, 2017
sarrki:

Check engine
take time sarrki tongue

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by Boleyndynasty2(f): 7:17am On Mar 27, 2017
sarrki:

when I see a confused wailer

I can tell
Why not make your comment and leave instead of quoting everyone here. People are entitled to their opinions just the way you are. Allow some other people who have something meaningful to post gain access to the FP instead of you quoting different people only to say nothing sensible, Good morning sir

9 Likes

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by sarrki(m): 7:19am On Mar 27, 2017
Boleyndynasty2:
Why not make your comment and leave instead of quoting everyone here. People are entitled to their opinions just the way you are. Allow some other people who have something meaningful to post gain access to the FP instead of you quoting different people only to say nothing sensible, Good morning sir

Morning ma

just trying to help control the wailing

it's too early Monday morning to start with this
Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by sarrki(m): 7:19am On Mar 27, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:
take time sarrki tongue
grin
CROWNWEALTH019:
take time sarrki tongue
Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by sarrki(m): 7:20am On Mar 27, 2017
DIKEnaWAR:

Spam robot!
Seun shut this down na. It keeps spamming my mentions.

The thing Enter Am
Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by Nwodosis(m): 7:21am On Mar 27, 2017
sarrki:

Ipob is confused right

Why can't you disclose your health status to the country you claim to love and die for? Do you hide your health status from your loved ones? I've not heard One Ghana, One Cameroon or One Liberia, we only hear One Nigeria, why?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by Nwodosis(m): 7:22am On Mar 27, 2017
sarrki:

what is this?
Please I'm not under any payroll like you

7 Likes

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by Boleyndynasty2(f): 7:25am On Mar 27, 2017
sarrki:

Morning ma

just trying to help control the wailing

it's too early Monday morning to start with this
when you actually look at it very well, you're the one who needs controlling. Its too early on a Monday morning for you to be like this

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by sarrki(m): 7:27am On Mar 27, 2017
Nwodosis:
Please I'm not under any payroll like you

says who bro

last time I checked
wadata plaza is still doing the needful
Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by sarrki(m): 7:29am On Mar 27, 2017
Boleyndynasty2:
when you actually look at it very well, you're the one who needs controlling. Its too early on a Monday morning for you to be like this

We are trying to educate wailers how to be patriotic
Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by Boleyndynasty2(f): 7:32am On Mar 27, 2017
sarrki:

We are trying to educate wailers how to be patriotic
grin cheesy you're really a clown

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by kid23(m): 7:53am On Mar 27, 2017
GOD BLESS BIAFRA
GOD BLESS NNAMDI KANU
GOD BLESS ALL MEN OF GOODWILL AND CONSCIENCE

NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Asks Buhari To Reveal Health Status, Backs IPOB, Others by Funlordmaniac(m): 8:28am On Mar 27, 2017
kid23:
GOD BLESS BIAFRA
GOD BLESS NNAMDI KANU
GOD BLESS ALL MEN OF GOODWILL AND CONSCIENCE

NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER

Wetin dey worry dis one? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Virtue Of Tolerance Of The Igbo People...what The Other Tribe Lacks / Came About The Real Truth About Biafra On Facebook / Nnamdi Kanu: A Hero, Coward Or Villian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.