Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? (10001 Views)

Is It Possible To Get A Laptop Of This Spec For 70k? / What's A SIM Card Slot On A Laptop Used For? / I Need A Laptop(mini) With Long Battery Life And Duration. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by yahoo2(m): 12:23pm On Dec 23, 2009
My laptop is normally plugged into power supply all day. My fear is that it may overcharge and the battery may damage, so I sometimes unplug it from the power supply. Please what's your take on this.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by DualCore1: 1:04pm On Dec 23, 2009
Except there is a fault.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by koseepaaro(m): 1:17pm On Dec 23, 2009
I personally have not hard of laptop battery being over-charge. But what I will recommend you do to your laptop battery is to make sure that you allow the battery to completely drain at least once in every one month to prolong the life of your battery.

But as for it being over-charge, I have not hard of such from a fellow techie.

Good luck.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by DualCore1: 2:53pm On Dec 23, 2009
At one time, I hardwired the power pack of my old Toshiba Satellite to the board (cutting off the connector and soldering the wire to the board).
As long as their is electricity its on power. Where I am we get public electricity for about 20 hours a day (plus minus). The laptop's battery is still very okay, i discharge it frequently and it stays for about 2.5 hours.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Digriz(m): 3:28pm On Dec 23, 2009
Allowing your laptop battery to completely drain out for battery longetivity depends on d type of battery your laptop is using. I knw we hv two types of laptop battery and mine does'nt suport completely draining of it.
Google and read more abt laptop battery coz u might think your doing your battery good where as your killing it more and more.
Li-ON battery does'nt support complete discharge.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by omega25red(m): 3:36pm On Dec 23, 2009
if you keep your laptop constantly charging it can damage the battery (in old laptops). New batteries have a fail safe that cuts off the electrical charge when the battery is fully charged.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by nsikis: 6:39pm On Dec 23, 2009
Yes the laptop computer can be overcharged in the sense that if you are not using the laptop computer always endeavour to check if the battery is already full. Yes, if full plugging it to power for charging without using it is an act of overchaging the cells of the laptop computer.
www.mylaptopsolutions..com
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by yahoo2(m): 10:19am On Dec 24, 2009
It should have a form of overcharge protection circuitry I guess
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Condom: 7:38pm On Dec 25, 2009
Overcharge how? Current/voltage overflow?
Why don't you get a surge protector.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 25, 2009
I usually let mine get to 98 - 100% before unplugging.
I then use it till about 70 something % before replugging.

Trying to be on the safe side in case overcharging ain't good for it.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Princek12(m): 8:14pm On Dec 25, 2009
May be it is me, but how in the world did this topic make front page? A simple google search or wiki search or an inquiry on a nerd website would have answered this question beyond any doubt. It appears the moderators favor stories that are posted by their cohorts rather than selecting topics for front page based on merit and popular demand. A front page topic could at the very least be a topic that cannot be answered by a posting on wikipedia or a google search or a nerd website. Na waa oooooooooo
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by blackmann(m): 8:29pm On Dec 25, 2009
yahoo!:

My laptop is normally plugged into power supply all day. My fear is that it may overcharge and the battery may damage, so I sometimes unplug it from the power supply. Please what's your take on this.

most pple believe this trash. to tell u the truth, once the laptop is connected to Direct power source(DC), it will automatically switch to that source while charging the battery. it will remain charged until the power pack is removed from the socket, when the system is automatically switched to the battery(AC). dats why one can still use the laptop even if the battery is no longer working - just connect it to the light source. My laptop's battery is so dead now and i still use it with the electricity socket.

Look at it this way -  when u charge the battery of your cell fone, there will come a time when the fone will say "battery fully charged" right? it is the same concept.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Wallie(m): 8:34pm On Dec 25, 2009
How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Thethy(m): 9:24pm On Dec 25, 2009
How can I get new and good battery for my GATEWAY LAPTOP.

Thank you.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by slimes(m): 9:46pm On Dec 25, 2009
I use dell inspiron B130 and It has an automatic cut out from charging as soon as the battery is 100%.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by gidson12(m): 9:51pm On Dec 25, 2009
Thethy:

How can I get new and good battery for my GATEWAY LAPTOP.

Thank you.
very very difficult to get
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by ayotee2000(m): 10:32pm On Dec 25, 2009
yahoo!:

I don't think I've ever disconnected my laptop from the socket, never given me problems dear.

PLUG ON grin
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by lctewand(f): 11:11pm On Dec 25, 2009
YES YES YES
A LAPTOP CAN BE OVERCHARGED,
presently my laptop is called a television by every1 who uses it,
any time nepa takes the electricity my laptop just goes off cos my batterys spoilt
durin summer in august my laptop waz permantly charged as in 24/7 nd there was constant electricity where i waz, so i was really not bothered  to unplug it,
but by the time i got back home,  i discovered dat my battery power was lower, 
the battery that normally works 4 2 hours started working 4 only 20 minutes  and by september my battery jst finally stoped working

omega25red:

if you keep your laptop constantly charging it can damage the battery (in old laptops). New batteries have a fail safe that cuts off the electrical charge when the battery is fully charged.

my laptop just became 1 year old,  i don't think its that old,

@ poster pls pls pls i beg u always unplug ur charger when ur laptop is fully charged,  its really frustrating to have a bad battery,
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by DoubleN(m): 11:54pm On Dec 25, 2009
lctewand:

YES YES YES
A LAPTOP CAN BE OVERCHARGED,
any time nepa takes the electricity my laptop just goes off cos my batterys spoilt
durin summer in august my laptop waz permantly charged as in 24/7 nd there was constant electricity where i waz, so i was really not bothered  to unplug it,
but by the time i got back home,  i discovered dat my battery power was lower, 
the battery that normally works 4 2 hours started working 4 only 20 minutes  and by september my battery jst finally stoped working

my laptop just became 1 year old,  i don't think its that old,

I concur with you on that one.I had a Hp Pavilion and my battery suffered from exactly the same thing.In under a year it went to just holding a charge for 15mins!

@ poster pls pls pls i beg u always unplug your charger when your laptop is fully charged,  its really frustrating to have a bad battery, 
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by AKO1(m): 11:58pm On Dec 25, 2009
lctewand:

Lol! LoL! Or desktop. There is one I have like that and its so frustrating cuz its the internet gateway.

I've been using my laptop for one year now, virtually plugged in 24/7 and my battery hasn't depreciated.

I guess in Naija, PHCN helps extend your battery life by preventing overcharging (i.e. if charge is inversely proportional to battery life).
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by init4dmoni(m): 12:02am On Dec 26, 2009
no. . . . .the laptop takes power directly from the ac adaptor when the battery is full. . smiley
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Borat1: 12:08am On Dec 26, 2009
I kept scrolling down when i saw the original post, and finally lctewand hit the nail on the head.
You cant keep your battery plugged 24/7 thats suicide.
If you're sure of power 24/7 then maybe you dont even need your battery, just pull out the damn thing.
Its a fact that frequent charge and discharge cycles impact negatively on the battery.
Also, bluediva
I'd advice that you let your battery reach its critical level before you recharge it. Charging at 70 percent will ruin your battery
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by oyinda3(f): 12:12am On Dec 26, 2009
i don't think batteries overcharge.

like ppl already said, unless you are using a really old/ outdated laptop, then u have no problem.

blackmann:

most pple believe this trash. to tell u the truth, once the laptop is connected to Direct power source(DC), it will automatically switch to that source while charging the battery. it will remain charged until the power pack is removed from the socket, when the system is automatically switched to the battery(AC). dats why one can still use the laptop even if the battery is no longer working - just connect it to the light source. My laptop's battery is so dead now and i still use it with the electricity socket.

Look at it this way -  when u charge the battery of your cell fone, there will come a time when the fone will say "battery fully charged" right? it is the same concept.

this post answers it best.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Borat1: 12:30am On Dec 26, 2009
@OP
If you google your question, you'd get much more answers than you actually can cope with
Just Google it
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by yahoo2(m): 12:44am On Dec 26, 2009
People are mixing things up here. I know that when the battery is full, it will automatically switch to AC supply when it is still powered ON. I am talking of a situation whereby your battery is fully charged and it is still connected to the AC source and the unit is OFF pherhaps all day long or even longer.

Princek12:

May be it is me, but how in the world did this topic make front page? A simple google search or wiki search or an inquiry on a nerd website would have answered this question beyond any doubt. It appears the moderators favor stories that are posted by their cohorts rather than selecting topics for front page based on merit and popular demand. A front page topic could at the very least be a topic that cannot be answered by a posting on wikipedia or a google search or a nerd website. Na waa oooooooooo

Just as we get conflicting and different replies here so also it is when you search about the topic on Google and the likes. Pherhaps you will do the reserch on it and give us the result here. Nobody is begging to have his thread on the front page. If the moderator see that it is beneficial to a lot of people, he does it at his own discretion. If you have anything with the moderator, you can open another thread for that and see if it gets to the front page.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Nobody: 1:00am On Dec 26, 2009
@Princek12 i second u, a simple search will echo a true answer as Nairaland posters are dumb and their moderators suck!!!.

The truth of the matter is that the term overcharge is not true, as far as there is light, you can keep using it plugged in, and if n light, you have been given the priviledge of usage for some hours, it was clearly written in my lappy manual that laptop should be plugged on light, when electricity power is avaiilable, are they as dumb as all u posters!!!!
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by mrofficial(m): 10:31am On Dec 26, 2009
Infact, remove the ba3 from the laptop if your light does not go off.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 26, 2009
Also, bluediva
I'd advice that you let your battery reach its critical level before you recharge it. Charging at 70 percent will ruin your battery

Yea, but when electricity ain't constant?
I only do so when in this dark Country.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Esolver1(m): 11:31am On Dec 26, 2009
I may advice to unplug your laptop if you are not working with it.
There is no need of  overcharging it.

Cheers.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by MUNEER2(m): 12:49pm On Dec 26, 2009
I don't think so, cos my laptop's always plugged to electricity, be it's in use or not
The adapter tends to signify when it's in use becauase it goes warm, but when not in use, it doesn't. And I've never had any problem with it so far since about 4months of such usage.
Re: Can A Laptop Be Overcharged? by Dewalex(m): 2:20pm On Dec 26, 2009
Yes,it does affect the life span of the battery a time will come you will not be able to use it without plugging it.
Charge the battery full use when its discharge then charge it again. its a simple logic.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Program Would Open .mdf & .mds Files? / Microsoft Surface: Windows 8 Tablet By Microsoft / Please Which Network In Nigeria Has Unlimited Data Plan, Cost And How Many Days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.