Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,977 members, 7,806,854 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

First Attempt At Poultry - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / First Attempt At Poultry (2287 Views)

My First Farming Attempt At Maize,okra,egusi Melon And Pepper. / Man Spots A Python In His Poultry In Bayelsa. Photo / How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Attempt At Poultry by Nobally: 11:31pm On Mar 27, 2017
Hello everyone, this is my first attempt at rearing birds. Having read and followed so many threads on the subjects, I have decided to take
the bull by the horn. Despite being my first attempt, am still very much a learner and am open to suggestions on proven methods. As a newbie i was seriously advised to start small with 1 carton (50 DOC) some even advised i start with 4 weeks as am a JJC, but i Insisted on starting with 4 cartons (200 DOC).

My major challenge was where to site my coop because my caretaker agreed that i use the compound but landlord no agree, i needed space and fast, got a temporary location pending when i get a space and relocate.

First step was the chicken coop, i had to go snap a friends coop and gave the carpenter my specification

length = 8ft
breadth = 4ft
Height = 6ft
2 levels (up and down)

Got a Carpenter and he gave the following
quotation

2x4 @450 x 4 = 1,800
2x2 @250 x 16 = 4,000
Board @900 x 8 = 7,200
golf wire @150 x 10yards = 1,500
ply wood @2,500 x 2 = 5,000
baton (Half bundle) = 1,000
hinges and bolt (6) = 600
copper nail @200 x 5 lb = 1,000
1/2 inches nail @200 x 2 lb = 400
3 inches nail @ 200 x 7 lb = 1,400
zinc (fairly used) @850 x 8 = 6,800
zinc nail @250 x 2 lb = 500
gasket (1) = 300
T.fare = 1,500
labour = 7,000

Note: This rates may differ due to your location or your negotiation skills.

It took the carpenter two days to complete the job, as the materials were not enough had to buy additional 5 yards of golf wire and a bundle of
baton. Now the cage was done, next step was the lantern, i sent someone to Onitsha to help get (3) and a roll of black nylon sheet. The lamps cost #900 and the nylon bundle cost #6,000. Went to saw mill to get a bag of sawdust for #300 naira. Got the drinkers (2 big, 2 small), feeder (4) here in Asaba.

On the 13th of March 2017 i placed order for 4 cartons of DOC, bought 1 bag of broiler starter (vital feed), Anti-stress and finally i was given a
chart. March 14th 11am they were still telling me the birds were not ready, 12 noon i called again and they said they were almost ready but i should start coming to collect them. Later discovered they gave them i/o just in case the hatchery didn't. Got a carton for 10,500

MY FIRST MISTAKE

My first mistake was introducing the DOC into their coop before their drinkers and feeder, as a result I had my first mortality, I placed the Big
plastic drinker on top of one of the chicks which i removed almost immediately, my mentors told me it will survive unfortunately it died the next day.

I made sure the entire cage was well covered, introduced the lanterns left the temporal location almost 8pm begged the security to help keep an eye on my coop.

1 Like

Re: First Attempt At Poultry by danwa25(m): 11:51pm On Mar 27, 2017
You are welcome to the club.
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Nobally: 11:57pm On Mar 27, 2017
pictures of the cage before and after stocking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Nobally: 12:04am On Mar 28, 2017
First Mortality and more pictures

Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Turks: 6:32am On Mar 28, 2017
Another mistake, NEVER brood with lantern. It's not the best of heat source as the carbon monoxide given off leaves the birds with respiratory ailments. Use coal pot instead.

What's the strain of your birds? From what hatchery were they gotten? Great analysis though. Keep the fire burning.

1 Like

Re: First Attempt At Poultry by alakara(m): 6:52am On Mar 28, 2017
next time use wood shavings not saw dust.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Ellixlimswag(m): 7:11am On Mar 28, 2017
thanks opp I de watch mk I de learn pleas gve update everyday
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by frisky2good(m): 7:16am On Mar 28, 2017
Good luck bro. The medicated water has to be changed every 24 hours and I don't think your birds will finish the water you have there in that time. Save cost by reducing the water and the drugs needed. Like Turks said, change to wood shavings immediately. Sawdust causes respiratory problems and chicks can eat it.

1 Like

Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Nobally: 8:32am On Mar 28, 2017
Turks:
Another mistake, NEVER brood with lantern. It's not the best of heat source as the carbon monoxide given off leaves the birds with respiratory ailments. Use coal pot instead.

What's the strain of your birds? From what hatchery were they gotten? Great analysis though. Keep the fire burning.

They told me where i bought my feed to use charcoal, but their reason was that it's cheaper than lantern, I will discontinue the use of lantern in my next attempt. As for the strain i honestly don't know, but the name on the carton was RUPERT. would make sure i get more details next time.
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Nobally: 8:33am On Mar 28, 2017
alakara:
next time use wood shavings not saw dust.

Thanks.

Thanks man, i will
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Nobally: 8:37am On Mar 28, 2017
frisky2good:
Good luck bro. The medicated water has to be changed every 24 hours and I don't think your birds will finish the water you have there in that time. Save cost by reducing the water and the drugs needed. Like Turks said, change to wood shavings immediately. Sawdust causes respiratory problems and chicks can eat it.

That is what I have been doing, I wash their drinkers and feeders every morning while in the evening scrap the feeder of any dirt before adding feed.
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Nobally: 9:22am On Mar 28, 2017
Two days later (16th March) i noticed one of the chick wasn't moving just lying still quickly moved it close to the drinker, honestly at this point i
was confused, was asking my self what i did wrong this time, the bird died later that evening. I introduced battery (AAA) operated bulbs at night to make sure the feeding continues.

By Saturday (18th March) noticed some congestion in my coop and by Sunday 19th March I transferred 100 DOC to the second level. At this point the top and bottom level each had two drinkers and feeders each, by this time 1 bag of feed was gone bought two more bags on Monday 20th March. Gave them free water in preparation for GUMBORO the next day.

21st March, as early as 6am I called the security guard to help remove the drinkers, this is a strategy as I was told would starve them of water
so that when Gumboro is introduced in their water they would rush it, got 200 dose for #2,180

22nd March, kept the lantern on all through because almost all day.

23rd March, Noticed some of the birds had wet eyes, called my mentors and they said it was HARMONIA INFECTION caused by too excess heat and saw dust, solution I should reduce the heat during the day.

24th March, my Veterinary doctor friend came around, he advised i use PROMIN (VITAMIN), that it will aid their rapid growth and increase their
appetite, he also advised I increase their feeders and drinkers to reduce their struggle for food thereby reducing fat burned while struggling
for food.

25th March, noticed they fell one of the lanterns spilling the kerosene in their coop, that was when I just decided to stop using lantern altogether.
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Turks: 10:08am On Mar 28, 2017
Well, not all of us understand the process of brooding so I wouldn't really fault them. Rupert? Never heard of them. Might I ask what your location is? Would follow your thread keenly. All the best sir.
Nobally:

They told me where i bought my feed to use charcoal, but their reason was that it's cheaper than lantern, I will discontinue the use of lantern in my next attempt. As for the strain i honestly don't know, but the name on the carton was RUPERT. would make sure i get more details next time.
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by jjbest123(m): 10:55am On Mar 28, 2017
Nobally Ride On Sir, God Bless Your Hustle @ Turks Are You Abudullarkar33m Of Broiler Farmers Forum?
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Turks: 11:09am On Mar 28, 2017
Preemah sir. That's our name smiley
jjbest123:
Nobally Ride On Sir, God Bless Your Hustle @ Turks Are You Abudullarkar33m Of Broiler Farmers Forum?
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by jjbest123(m): 12:38pm On Mar 28, 2017
Turks:
Preemah sir. That's our name smiley
cheesy Sorry You Are Not The Person I Thought...
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Turks: 1:08pm On Mar 28, 2017
Lol. Abdulmacine?
jjbest123:
cheesy Sorry You Are Not The Person I Thought...
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by alakara(m): 1:20pm On Mar 28, 2017
jjbest123:
Yes, he is.
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by jjbest123(m): 1:26pm On Mar 28, 2017
alakara:

Yes, he is.
Thanks @ Alakara, God Bless You @ Abu Is This The Way You Denied Your Blessing Somehow For You... Micholad Go Eat This One
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by jjbest123(m): 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2017
Nobally 200 Birds For That Space Till Maturity, Am Afraid.
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Turks: 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2017
shocked shocked
alakara:

Yes, he is.
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Nobally: 4:08pm On Mar 28, 2017
jjbest123:
Nobally 200 Birds For That Space Till Maturity, Am Afraid.

Am selling after 4 weeks, today made it 2 weeks so two more weeks and am selling
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Nobally: 3:29pm On Mar 29, 2017
27th March, gave them LASOTA (200 dose) and bought two additional feeders.

28th March, my birds completed 2 weeks here are some pics of the birds and the vitamins/Antibiotics am using for them.

Re: First Attempt At Poultry by danwa25(m): 6:39pm On Mar 29, 2017
Nice one but buying a carton for 10500 is too much
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by kentochi(m): 8:45pm On Mar 29, 2017
good
i wish you all the best.
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Nobally: 9:30am On Mar 30, 2017
danwa25:
Nice one but buying a carton for 10500 is too much

I later found out the actual price was #6,500 after calling the number on the carton. I intend dealing directly with them next time.
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 2:35pm On Apr 05, 2017
Nobally:
Hello everyone, this is my first attempt at rearing birds. Having read and followed so many threads on the subjects, I have decided to take
the bull by the horn. Despite being my first attempt, am still very much a learner and am open to suggestions on proven methods. As a newbie i was seriously advised to start small with 1 carton (50 DOC) some even advised i start with 4 weeks as am a JJC, but i Insisted on starting with 4 cartons (200 DOC).

My major challenge was where to site my coop because my caretaker agreed that i use the compound but landlord no agree, i needed space and fast, got a temporary location pending when i get a space and relocate.

First step was the chicken coop, i had to go snap a friends coop and gave the carpenter my specification

length = 8ft
breadth = 4ft
Height = 6ft
2 levels (up and down)

Got a Carpenter and he gave the following
quotation

2x4 @450 x 4 = 1,800
2x2 @250 x 16 = 4,000
Board @900 x 8 = 7,200
golf wire @150 x 10yards = 1,500
ply wood @2,500 x 2 = 5,000
baton (Half bundle) = 1,000
hinges and bolt (6) = 600
copper nail @200 x 5 lb = 1,000
1/2 inches nail @200 x 2 lb = 400
3 inches nail @ 200 x 7 lb = 1,400
zinc (fairly used) @850 x 8 = 6,800
zinc nail @250 x 2 lb = 500
gasket (1) = 300
T.fare = 1,500
labour = 7,000

Note: This rates may differ due to your location or your negotiation skills.

It took the carpenter two days to complete the job, as the materials were not enough had to buy additional 5 yards of golf wire and a bundle of
baton. Now the cage was done, next step was the lantern, i sent someone to Onitsha to help get (3) and a roll of black nylon sheet. The lamps cost #900 and the nylon bundle cost #6,000. Went to saw mill to get a bag of sawdust for #300 naira. Got the drinkers (2 big, 2 small), feeder (4) here in Asaba.

On the 13th of March 2017 i placed order for 4 cartons of DOC, bought 1 bag of broiler starter (vital feed), Anti-stress and finally i was given a
chart. March 14th 11am they were still telling me the birds were not ready, 12 noon i called again and they said they were almost ready but i should start coming to collect them. Later discovered they gave them i/o just in case the hatchery didn't. Got a carton for 10,500

MY FIRST MISTAKE

My first mistake was introducing the DOC into their coop before their drinkers and feeder, as a result I had my first mortality, I placed the Big
plastic drinker on top of one of the chicks which i removed almost immediately, my mentors told me it will survive unfortunately it died the next day.

I made sure the entire cage was well covered, introduced the lanterns left the temporal location almost 8pm begged the security to help keep an eye on my coop.
...any update?
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by obinna58(m): 1:31am On Aug 25, 2021
Nobally:

Am selling after 4 weeks, today made it 2 weeks so two more weeks and am selling
How did it go
Re: First Attempt At Poultry by jamace(m): 12:28pm On Aug 25, 2021
Olaleyeabdullah:
...any update?
4 years old thread . . cheesy

(1) (Reply)

I Can Supply And Source For Sesame Seed, Millet,sorghum In Very Large Quantities / What Is The Price Of 1kg Cocoa Powder In Nigeria / Best Price For Bag Of dry Cassava And Bag Of Guinea Corn Aka Sorghum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.