Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,363 members, 7,780,996 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:11 AM

25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians (30451 Views)

Tension!! As Father Mbaka Replies Peter Obi And Nigerians / 14 Facts About Nigeria You Might Not Know / Independence Day: Osinbajo Makes Prophetic Declarations About Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by mario383: 4:43pm On Mar 28, 2017
spartan117:
One Nigeria till death
That time don pass. Una nor go deceive us again.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by agitator: 4:44pm On Mar 28, 2017
Abbeyme:
Please Nairalanders,

What will it cost us to go back to 1975.

Seems it was the turning point for Nigeria. It caught Nigerians unaware.

That was before the oil boom, can we forget about crude oil?
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 28, 2017
nextstep:

At some point, most people in the SW, SE, and SS were illiterate before grammar schools and the like were established. Sure there were some traditional writing systems like Nsibidi (but not as widely distributed among the populate, and in some cases could only be taught to certain secret societies). Before then the North could boast of many people who could read Arabic (as a direct result of the introduction of Islam).

As for why the disparity in education, here's what I think:

The North had a structure of authority, which was strictly focused on the Emir. The SW had to some degree the same authority to Obas, but that had been undermined greatly by the intra-Yoruba wars. SE and SS were mostly autonomous without a central authority. It was easier to control the North once you had the Emir in your hands, so you didn't need to do the hard work of creating and educating warrant-chiefs and the like. Christian missionaries were barred from the North, and any efforts at education were closely linked with Islamic institutions.

Conversely, these same missionaries were given free reign in the (mostly animist) South. Those former students became the default choice for civil service, and that became a self-sustaining chain reaction which results in the disparity we see today.
Being able to read qurans isn't tantamount to being literate. At the precolonial era, the SE and SS where believed to be the most Literate regions in Nigeria because they embraced Western Education and due to their level of enlightenment they were able to frustrate Lugard's direct role system which went smoothly in the North because of their illiteracy.

Mind you, I am not in any way talking down on the Northern region. It's History!. The op is totally wrong on this one. grin

2 Likes

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Abbeyme: 4:51pm On Mar 28, 2017
agitator:

That was before the oil boom, can we forget about crude oil?

Oil boom in the distance, oil gloom at sight, oil doom at hand!!!
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Memphis357(m): 4:52pm On Mar 28, 2017
[quote author=EricBloodAxe post=55037241]

And u were so quick to type a post about Nigeria u ended up making a foolish post undecided
[/quote)
Excuse me, given all the events that has in the NASS.....A country of right thinking citizens would recall each and every representatives that has a dodgy past e.g Dino Melaye..... Apostle Suleiman own dey dia. Accusations levelled against him are so glaring but what has happened so far? Your guess is as good as mine.
Please, please, please.... Don't respond with your foolishness.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Bollinger(m): 4:52pm On Mar 28, 2017
jerrybakermillz:
Now they know... But do you think I'm wrong on it?

I have held that view for many years. Corruption blossomed under OBJ. He galvanized it to the levels we see today. He hurt this country more than any other leader in our history.

1 Like

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by nextstep(m): 4:55pm On Mar 28, 2017
Benita27:
Being able to read qurans isn't tantamount to being literate. At the precolonial era, the SE and SS where believed to be the most Literate regions in Nigeria because they embraced Western Education and due to their level of enlightenment they were able to frustrate Lugard's direct role system which went smoothly in the North because of their illiteracy.

Mind you, I am not in any way talking down on the Northern region. It's History!.

Being able to read is the very definition of literacy. You may be meaning something else, but what else do you call somebody who can read Arabic or English or Chinese? Conversly, most in the South could not read.

I also don't believe the South was "more enlightened" at the start. Of course, increased exposure to the Europeans (due to proximity to a coast), would change opinions over time. Of course one could argue that exposure to Arabia (much earlier) meant that the average Northerner was actually more enlightened and literate than the average Southerner in the late 1700s.

Southerners embraced Western education because it offered many benefits:
- you didn't get killed by the colonizers
- you didn't have a strong central authority actively discouraging you
- you could move up the socio-economic ladder
- you could escape/circumvent the certain traditions in your society that made you (for instance) an outcast.

It's no accident the very first group to embrace the new order in the South were social outcasts, the powerless, and poor. The message of Christianity was very enticing and captivating to those who really didn't have standing in their traditional societies. Since missionaries were banned in the North, there was little chance of upward mobility via the new order. I am painting a very broad stroke, but I don't think the general idea is wrong.

Direct rule works when you can control the central figure (as in the North), and works less when there is no central figure to control, so you have to invent all kinds of positions for (dare I say traitors) assistants to help you rule. Over time, as people started to see the practical benefits of this new order, they started sending their children (starting with the least productive ones). By the mid 30's education in the South was seen as a general good.

2 Likes

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Missy89(f): 4:57pm On Mar 28, 2017
No 18 is BS

learning how to be unyielding to infidels is not literacy
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Icon79(m): 5:00pm On Mar 28, 2017
Good info but you gotta take some of them with a pinch of salt. I, for one, don't agree that Northern Nigeria makes up 80% of Nigeria's land mass. That one is a pure fallacy.

O pari
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 28, 2017
nextstep:

Being able to read is the very definition of literacy. You may be meaning something else, but what do you call somebody who can read Arabic or English or Chinese?

They embraced Western education because it offered many benefits:
- you didn't get killed by the colonizers
- you could move up the socio-economic ladder
- you could escape/circumvent the certain traditions in your society that made you (for instance) an outcast.

It's no accident the very first group to embrace the new order in the South were social outcasts, the powerless, and poor. Direct rule works when you can control the central figure (as in the North), and works less when there is no central figure to control, so you have to invent all kinds of positions for (dare I say traitors) assitants to help you rule.
Being able to read in your dialect isn't literacy. I believe the Igbos and Yorubas also had their means of communication which was as well in their dialect but at that era most Yorubas and Igbos like the likes of Awolowo and Akintola got Western Education while the Northerners were busy plotting coup upon coup. The Northern central system of leadership was just another factor that made Lugard's direct rule system strive in the North, followed by their illiteracy. It has never been recorded that the Northerners were more literate than any region in Nigeria. Ever!.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by iambijo(m): 5:20pm On Mar 28, 2017
Debaddest:
The north was the more literate part of Nigeria in the past. According to Lord Luggard, there were 25,000 Qur’anic Arabic schools with about 250,000 pupils in the north, if I hear, so what happened
tell me in the whole southern nigeria which people can read and write 150years ago ? Did you even knw meaning of word literate ?

1 Like

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by nextstep(m): 5:20pm On Mar 28, 2017
Benita27:
Being able to read in your dialect isn't literacy. I believe the Igbos and Yorubas also had their means of communication which was as well in their dialect but at that era most Yorubas and Igbos like the likes of Awolowo and Akintola got Western Education while the Northerners were busy plotting coup upon coup. The Northern central system of leadership was just another factor that made Lugard's direct rule system strive in the North, followed by their illiteracy. It has never been recorded that the Northerners were more literate than any region in Nigeria. Ever!.

So by your definition a Chinese person reading in Chinese is illiterate? And how about an Englishman reading in English? By your definition, also illiterate.

I did recognize that there were writing systems in the South before colonization (Nsidibi in Igbo, I haven't found evidence of a Yoruba version... if anyone can point us to it, it will be most helpful). However, I contend that there were far more people who could read/write (albeit Arabic) in the North, than there were people who could read/write in any language in the South, before the missionaries.

Summary: If you are studying a book, i.e. Quran, it's highly likely you can read it. If your religion education compels you to study the Quran, I don't see how you can escape being literate.

Messrs. Awolowo and Akintola and were born 1909 and 1910, respectively, after several waves on Christian missionaries and generations after colonization started. Yes, at that point, your argument can be valid. But to take that and go into the past, in order to assert that the South always had more literates, is not quite accurate.

1 Like

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Adek15(m): 5:23pm On Mar 28, 2017
Benita27:
I'm sure yorubas and igbos couldn't read their languages as at then
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by iambijo(m): 5:24pm On Mar 28, 2017
Benita27:

Mind you, I am not in any way talking down on the Northern region. It's History!. The op is totally wrong on this one. grin
did you knw what did word literate means ?
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by AreaFada2: 5:25pm On Mar 28, 2017
Benita27:
I thought the Nigerian currency was changed from Pounds, pence and shiling to Naira and Kobo in 1973 under Gowon's regime?.

Op, I'm not understanding.

Abeg you are right.

Obviously in preparation for independence, plans for own currency and local financial/economic policies were put in place.
Before 1973, we were using Nigeria Pounds and it's smaller units.

Hence Biafra also issued Biafra Pounds when civil war began.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Arsenalboi: 5:29pm On Mar 28, 2017
I love 1975 and 1976,please can we go back there because i forget something there.
Where is Yakubu "Jack"Gown,he is the one incharge then.

1 Like

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 28, 2017
nextstep:

So by your definition a Chinese person reading in Chinese is illiterate? And how about an Englishman reading in English? By your definition, also illiterate.

I did recognize that there were writing systems in the South before colonization (Ndibisi in Igbo, I haven't found evidence of a Yoruba version... if anyone can point us to, it will be most helpful). However, I contend that there were far more people who could read and write (albeit Arabic) in the North, than there were people who could read/write in any form in the South, before the missionaries.

Summary: If you are studying a book, i.e. Quran, it's highly likely you can read it. If your religion education compels you to study the Quran, I don't see how you can escape being literate.

Isn't the said Quran just like the Bible?, a religious book I guess. That also means they were fixated in learning the ways of Mohammed how does that transcend to them being literate?. When and were was the first school built in Nigeria?.

Why does history have it that they were more literate in SW and SE while the North had the most illiterates in Nigeria?, could you please give an answer to this?, google could be of help here...the common definition of a literate is being able to read and write so I'll touché to that your submission. but it goes beyond just reading and writing. grin
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by iyb(m): 5:42pm On Mar 28, 2017
Debaddest:
The north was the more literate part of Nigeria in the past. According to Lord Luggard, there were 25,000 Qur’anic Arabic schools with about 250,000 pupils in the north, if I hear, so what happened
You do know that the British brought reading and writing to you southies whereas the north already had Islam and Arabic was the official language. You can hate us all you want but the truth remains the truth
Anyway why am I not surprised you exude hatred for the north it's the typical behaviour of southerners

1 Like

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Rajmeista(m): 5:42pm On Mar 28, 2017
Op! your number 6 is incorrect. El Kanemi ruled from the late 18th century to the early 19th century. In fact, there was nothing like Kanem Borno in the 13th century but Kanuri Empire. Borno was merged much later.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Nobody: 5:42pm On Mar 28, 2017
AreaFada2:

Abeg you are right.

Obviously in preparation for independence, plans for own currency and local financial/economic policies were put in place.
Before 1973, we were using Nigeria Pounds and it's smaller units.

Hence Biafra also issued Biafra Pounds when civil war began.
Cool, but whether British pounds abi Nigerian pounds?, I don't know which but was aware they were using the pounds at that era.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 28, 2017
Adek15:
I'm sure yorubas and igbos couldn't read their languages as at then
Hmm!.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 28, 2017
iambijo:
did you knw what did word literate means ?
Being able to read and write. What happened now?, did they stop reading and reading in Arabic with how populated they are?. They should remain on that spot if that's the basis.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by iyb(m): 5:52pm On Mar 28, 2017
Benita27:
Northerners could read and write before the British but southerners couldn't. I don't get why southerners find it hard to.believe that without the British missionary schools they won't be educated as a matter of fact the north was the more enlightened part of Nigeria. Let's not forget the only thing southerners know how to do at that time was to sell their people for pieces of trinkets mirrors and beads hence the reason why the Caribbeans ,south America and north America are littered with people that have the blood of southern Nigeria
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by sfinkzslot(m): 6:16pm On Mar 28, 2017
wow!!! wink
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by maclatunji: 6:35pm On Mar 28, 2017
Benita27:

Go argue with Lugard.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by maclatunji: 6:37pm On Mar 28, 2017
iyb:

Northerners could read and write before the British but southerners couldn't. I don't get why southerners find it hard to.believe that without the British missionary schools they won't be educated as a matter of fact the north was the more enlightened part of Nigeria. Let's not forget the only thing southerners know how to do at that time was to sell their people for pieces of trinkets mirrors and beads hence the reason why the Caribbeans ,south America and north America are littered with people that have the blood of southern Nigeria

Largely true but the Oyo and Bini Empire had their own civilizations not based on writing though.
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Silascarter: 6:41pm On Mar 28, 2017
oluwaseyi000:

if only we the masses will stop spilling and dividing the country into Igbo, flat or cone head, Yoruba, Hausa, igbo, fulani etc, Brown roof, Biafra, almajiri, Christian, Muslim, Yoruba-Muslim, developers, afonja, saut waste, saut yeast, ipod, liepod, hardmen nor rejoice when part of us (the masses) get attack (from boko haram, ritualist, killers) or when some of us do something wrong (like drug trafficking, caught stealing or other criminal acts)

we need to accept the simple fact that most of the crime committed by others can be equally committed by people from our tribe, most of those crime are not tribe-specific (if flat-head kidnap, ask yourself whether a cone-head can/has never kidnap).

we have just two true enemies: our leaders and our inability to produce/invent

have you ever heard of otedola and dangote fighting because of tribe/religion or other bullshit

we already have all we need: the igbo can be the technology powerhouse, the south west: management and the north: food production. tribe (in fact, racism) won't allow us realize this

what we do to our self in the name of racism is worse than what south Africa, India or any other country is doing to us.

Nigerian LET'S WISE UP!!!!

Someone finally makes all the sense in Nairaland... nicely said sir... but I doubt if 1 Nigeria will ever come bck again... we r too divided divided a people to be united. I'm sure our heroes who fought for independence will regret it now...

1 Like

Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by BobHIGHNESS(m): 6:42pm On Mar 28, 2017
Apart from our leaders, we're the greatest enemies of ourselve. From 18BC till now,Nigetia have been into issh... But let divide, Nigeria can't unite again
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Silascarter: 6:43pm On Mar 28, 2017
maclatunji:

Largely true but the Oyo and Bini Empire had their own civilizations not based on writing though.

Agreed but it is not how far but how well... they let the colonial masters drag them down n ride on them...
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by Debaddest(m): 6:47pm On Mar 28, 2017
iyb:

You do know that the British brought reading and writing to you southies whereas the north already had Islam and Arabic was the official language. You can hate us all you want but the truth remains the truth
Anyway why am I not surprised you exude hatred for the north it's the typical behaviour of southerners
You can say whatever you want to say, but bear it in mind that the "End justify the means".
Re: 25 Interesting Facts About Nigeria And Nigerians by maclatunji: 6:48pm On Mar 28, 2017
Silascarter:

Agreed but it is not how far but how well... they let the colonial masters drag them down n ride on them...

#Yeye. In your own time, what have you done to dominate the world?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obiano, Osinbajo Inspect On Going Work At 2nd Niger Bridge, Exclusive Photos / Stalemate In APC, PDP As Governors, Stakeholders Disagree Over Running Mates / Stop Being Heartless, Fix The Economy, Leave Business Owners Alone – Obi To FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.