Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? (17299 Views)

Jay-Z 's Magna Carta Holy Grail To Be Released On July 4th / I'm Listening To "empire State Of Mind" By Jay Z Non Stop! / "de Ja Vu" Beyonce And Jay-z (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by eldee(m): 11:49pm On Dec 24, 2009
Genuflect:

^^^Exactly what I've been tryna say. We Christians are quick to mock Mohammed, Buddha etc but get all mushy if 'Jesus' get mentioned. How hypocritical
We need to start respecting people's opinions on issues.
Even Jesus preached that.

N.I.Gboi:

my guess is that if it was said about allah, the Moslems would have started a jihad or some riots, and here some folks are saying christians are making too much out of it because some of them are talking.
Amazing at what some so-called christians say.

This is exactly what I was talking about.
One man decides he has the right to use himself as a yardstick just because we disagree on a simple matter.
All I want you to do is to make an informed judgement based on the context not your pre-conceived opinions on the personality.
Is that too hard??

I believe Buddha cannot save me . . . should I be shot for saying that??

I come from the school of thought that believes that no one has a right to take offence if none was meant in the first place.
That's why I try to clarify intention first.
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by A40(m): 12:11am On Dec 25, 2009
arkinses:

Same was said about jay when he featured on Rihanna's Umbrella.

“No clouds in my stones
Let it rain, I hydroplane in the bank
Coming down with the Dow Jones”

So the “storm” is in fact related to the economy and the financial world. “Coming down with the Dow Jones” reflects this situation. The Dow Jones is the main indicator of the health of the stock market. If it plummets, we can talk about a market crash. This reference is pretty eerie as it effectively predicts the crash of the stock markets that is taking place now, which is two years after the release of the song. We all know that, since September of this year (2008), the Dow Jones has experienced its biggest drops since the great depression. Here’s a random quote from today’s news (December 11th):

Stocks on Wall Street fell sharply on Thursday afternoon, with the Dow Jones industrials sliding 200 points, as investors weighed a lower sales outlook and a widening trade gap that could spell trouble for American businesses.

The fact that this song was made in 2006, two full years before even having signs of recession is strange. You’ll notice that the whole song has a pessimistic outlook concerning the future.  Jay-Z is saying “Let it rain”, he doesn’t care about the financial crisis,  he “hydroplanes in the bank”.  In other words, while the bank is being flooded by this storm and people are drowning in it, he’s above the water and  surviving the crisis.
First and Foremost Umbrella came out in 2007. And there where actually signs that the stock market and global financial market was going to crash!! Smart brokers saw it coming and sold their stock so lets just say he was giving us a tip. He has since said it on Kingdom Come Intro that "He's just a hustler disguised as a rapper"
If you where a financial expert that was on his toes there are chances you would have seen the meltdown coming too

arkinses:

When the clouds come we gone, we Rocafella

In other words, when the financial crisis will occur, we won’t be here to suffer through it. “Rocafella” is the name of Jay-Z’s record label. It also refers to John D. Rockefeller and his family, the biggest industrialists in American History and huge actors in the formation of the social-economic world we’re currently living in. Many historians claim the Rockerfellers have engineered the crash of 1929 to be able to obtain a stronghold on America’s banking system. Congressman Charles A. Lindberg Sr. accurately proclaimed in 1930:

“From now on depressions will be scientifically created.”
What does this have to do with Jay-Z?? We have these kind of people everywhere around the world even in Nigeria abi what has Lamido the CBN Governor been battling with since he came into office?

arkinses:

We fly higher than weather
And G5’s are better, You know me,

“We fly higher than the weather” means that Jay-Z cannot be affected by the financial crisis because he is above the problem. He enjoys a protection that makes him unvulnerable to the storm. The fact that he says “WE fly higher than the weather” implies that a select few can have the same kind of privileges he has. G5 is a kind of private jet so he will live in luxury even when the crisis strikes the rest of the world.

an anticipation, for precipitation. Stacked chips for the rainy day

Jay-Z says here that he was expecting this major crisis (the precipitation) and so he has prepared financially to face it. Seems like he had prior knowledge of the events that would occur in the future. Is he talking about the recession that is happening now?
What is the book of Revelation in the Bible about?? Is it not prophecy?? Why where there prophets in the Holy Book? What is bad about stacking chips for the rainy day? Even Joseph warned Pharoah that there would be 7 years of plenty and 7 years of hardship

arkinses:

Jay, Rain Man is back with little Ms. Sunshine
Rihanna where you at?

Jay aka “Rain Man”. He has been possessed by the Devil, contrarily to Rihanna, who he calls “little Ms. Sunshine”. Rihanna is the good girl. Jay-Z is already bad and he is asking Rihanna to join him.

These are not my notions FYI, its copy and paste stuff

This really doesn't make any sense??
E jekwes:

And the Jeezy paying Lebron i'm paying Dwyane Wade part as well most cats i know still swear its Jesus he said

@A-40: Was listening to the song yesterday and I know he said Jesus. El Gators doesn't like the song, I think the song is hot, the beat is even hotter then Alicia Keys did well but I think ''run this town'' is more controversial. But guys, I would like us to compare this song to Kanye's Chicago featuring that Coldplay dude. Which song is hotter, though I have a soft spot for Kanye. Your thoughts please, Eldee what do you think.
I have checked a few links and it keeps showing me Jeezy but i guess you are right cos my official hip hop lyric site actually shows Jesus

http://ohhla.com/anonymous/jigga/blprint3/empire.jyz.txt

hax:

Not really contradictory. More about mic skills than religion. You don't have to like someone to respect him.

He calls himself god MC, not God. They're two different things. So he can be made in God's image.
He's not God. He's not Jehovah. He's' God MC'. Jay-Hova. They're not the same. That name came from him calling himself god MC and having Jay in his name. It might be a play on a name he shouldn't play with, but what can we do? Nas is God's Son. Are we to say he's jacking Jesus' swag? lol
Rappers are generally blasphemous creatures!! Isn't there a rapper from the Wu-tang clan that calls himself U-god

hax:

lol. They say he meant 'Mason' not 'Maison', but he said the name of the fashion house immediately after, so i don't even get their argument.
Sometimes you want to leave people in their ignorance but then you want to be part of the cure and not the disease

hax:

I do agree that going to church and forgetting God after is a waste of time. But there's no one God can't save. So they do have a point if they say he blasphemed. Where there's life, there's hope. It's not over until 'she' dies. He shouldn't have said that either way.
lol
Maybe he didn't put it the way a bible believer should but since when did he ever claim to be one?

hax:

Why does everyone say that? Do they ride you like the bus route? :p
All he did was name drop throughout. The Game's rubbing off on him. lol
D.O.A and Run This Town imo were much better tracks. Run This Town would have been as popular if Rihanna could fxcking sing.
Bus route. . Bus Pass!! Its riding whichever way you look at it
He didn't name-drop on that track na haba! What would you say about "A star is Born"

Naah i beg to differ Commpadre. D.O.A was more like a mixtape song i am kinda suprised it even made BP3. Run This Town? Hell naah and to be honest Rihanna actually killed the song!! I don't know who she killed worse sef Kanye and Jay-Z on Run This Town or T.I on Live Your Life
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by eldee(m): 12:36am On Dec 25, 2009
A-40:

What is the book of Revelation in the Bible about?? Is it not prophecy?? Why where there prophets in the Holy Book? What is bad about stacking chips for the rainy day? Even Joseph warned Pharoah that there would be 7 years of plenty and 7 years of hardship
That line was inspired by the Bible.
Job 22:29 - When men are cast down, then thou shalt say, There is lifting up.

A-40:

Naah i beg to differ Commpadre. D.O.A was more like a mixtape song i am kinda suprised it even made BP3. Run This Town? Hell naah and to be honest Rihanna actually killed the song!! I don't know who she killed worse sef Kanye and Jay-Z on Run This Town or T.I on Live Your Life

Kanye stood his ground on that track, c'mon . . . he went about 20secs without the beat and then the 'watchu think I rap for??' line.
His 'you feeling like you run it huh??' line was a perfect closing to the verse.
Have you heard Weezy's Remix?? He did a funny version using Jay-Z's delivery as his blueprint.
His closing bar :

yeah we run this town, like a lot of feet,
Young Mula Baby, Im proud of me

My Life . . . was T.I even on that song??
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by A40(m): 1:07am On Dec 25, 2009
eldee:

That line was inspired by the Bible.
Job 22:29 - When men are cast down, then thou shalt say, There is lifting up.
Exactly!! Its like a G-8 Conference where people just sit down and think of what opaks they can yarn about Jay-Z this time. All though i am pretty mad at Hov right now i heard from the grapevine that he is gonna change his name to Shawn Knowles Carter and Beyonce would also go by the name of Beyonce Knowles Carter that ain't a good look but in the real sense what does it matter?? B must have kryptonite between her legs sha

eldee:

Kanye stood his ground on that track, c'mon . . . he went about 20secs without the beat and then the 'watchu think I rap for??' line.
His 'you feeling like you run it huh??' line was a perfect closing to the verse.
Have you heard Weezy's Remix?? He did a funny version using Jay-Z's delivery as his blueprint.
His closing bar :

yeah we run this town, like a lot of feet,
Young Mula Baby, Im proud of me

My Life . . . was T.I even on that song??
Kanye was better than Jay-Z on that song no doubt but Rihanna bumaa yee!! (killed em all)
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by chiogo(f): 2:35am On Dec 25, 2009
Shawn Knowles Carter?? grin grin grin grin

Chai!!! More power to the people!!!
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 27, 2009
A-40 please how can i get my hands on the remix.Kanye no dey ever fxck up on any song.Though I feel that he went alittle far in that song:
  ''she's got an backside that can swallow up a g-string''
whats dat about, is that all life is about.
Having said that, still think he is hot and he killed the song.
have u heard Drake's forever.
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by Genuflect(m): 8:08pm On Dec 27, 2009
Drake's Forever? Which year you in Nikka?
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by hax: 8:37pm On Dec 27, 2009
Yeah, that shiiit's been out forever.

lmao
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by QuincessMd: 10:04pm On Dec 27, 2009
It's unsettling how people keep going at Jay-Z for all this!
He knows how to cause commotion, get attention & up his sales with all this drama.
His lyrics are well thought out.
Yes, he calls himself Jay-Hova (Jehova). That's because he believes he is the Savior of RAP! Not of the World,
It's like calling sum1 a goddess of song!
Y'all need to get over Jigga's controversial attitude, cus he don't give a fidduck. We're off that tongue
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by dasa: 12:41am On Jan 04, 2010
if you dont understand hihop lyrics and metaphors. then dont listen. Hip hop is like poetry, the message isnt always direct.

For most of us. we are only holy during the church service. After that, we are back to the world.

This is what he meant by life starts when the church ends. And the line 'jesus cant save you' refers to u refusing to let the message u here in church work. U refuse to let jesus save u.
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by Nobody: 6:56am On Jan 04, 2010
Is JayZ a Christian?
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by lysaa(f): 1:48pm On Jan 04, 2010
E jekwes:

Even christians agree that life starts when church ends because thats when u start putting in practice whatever u learnt in church. D other monday after a very motivating service on sunday, I could hear a voice in my head say ''ok, church done end, let me see how u gon survive''. At that point it's either u shake it off or u go back to your rut.
u are right on that and i'm glad someone has that view. The thing is, J-z tells the truth in a sly n perverted way to get ppl confused and they are slowly buying into his school of thot, such a shame.

Amya:

The thing is. I think jay z is evil and that his music is slowly but steadily brainwashing everyone. He has through his rap lines, granted interviews, choice of music video, prints on his shirts, logo for his design line & record label (where he used the pyramid and eye- the ultimate illuminati sign) as choice of logo. All these are all sign of him being part of the illuminati group. Illuminati's are headed by lucifer, and they are anti-christians. They believe they are their own god. Lucifer means bringer of light. Light means illumination (illuminati's therefore means lucifers people). Jay z knows what he's doing. Through rap, he's trying to bring more and more people to his master lucifer. He said it all in run this town. Many people are brainwashed already. But i guess it takes having eyes to really see. The end time is near and things are happening. That your idol may march you off to doom!
WORD!
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 04, 2010
One thing you get from listening to Jay is that he believes, like I do, that whatever you say affects you somehow. Remember Umbrella

“No clouds in my stones
Let it rain, I hydroplane in the bank
Coming down with the Dow Jones”

So it's like he is positive or should I say optimistic gangsta (is there anything positive about rap lyrics these days?).
Anyway,una still remember DOA

''I know we facin a recession
But the music yall makin gonna make it the great depression
Ah, or your lack of aggression
Pull your skirt back down, grow a set men''

You see, wetin the guy dey talk now, how him dey feel when rappers choose to sing.And you know a certain roc dude that sings. But yikes, those were some tough lines there men. The first day I heard that song,I thought those dudes were going to reply with sumthin and then we would see the end of roc. Was surprised to see him call up that same roc dude for ''run this town''. Guess he didn't mention any names. So they all cool then? Phew! that was scarry
Still on DOA

''Ah, I’m a multi-millionaire
So how is it I’m still the hardest n—a here?''

The dude even believes he is the hardest nikka in the game.
Anyway he believes, like I do, that what you say go eventually make you. Except that he is gangsta. gringrin
On the Jayhova thing, metaphoric ,right. To make wack rappers have a heart attack when he enter the building.
On the illuminati thing, guess he is an illuminatian, and the other dude is a martian. Mama I wrote my first rhyme! cry
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by torture: 4:18am On Jan 06, 2010
Lights is blinding, girls need blinders
so they can step out of bounds quick, the sidelines is
lined with casualties, who sip to life casually
then gradually become worse, don't bite the apple eve
Caught up in the in-crowd, now you're in style
End of the winter gets cold, en vogue, with your skin out
City of sin, it's a pity on the wind
Good girls gone bad, the city's filled with them
Mami took a bus trip, now she got her bust out
Everybody ride her, just like a bus route
Hail Mary to the city, you're a virgin
And Jesus can't save you, life starts when the church end
Came here for school, graduated to the high life
Ball players, rap stars, addicted to the limelight
MDMA got you feelin' like a champion
The city never sleeps, better slip you an Ambien

JIGGA IS NOT IN ANY WAY DISSING JESUS. HE IS JUST TALKING ABOUT BAD GALS PROBABLY IN NEW YORK. everybody ride her, like a bus route. means she na cheap hoe. and Jesus cant save her because her life (efizy) starts after service.
RAP PAYS THIS GUY, YOU KNOW WHY? CUZ HE Z TOO GUD AND BETA THAN YOU ARE.
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by thorpido(m): 1:27pm On Nov 03, 2011
So called christians indeed.That you were born into a christian family does not make u a christian.If u read the bible and know the word,u will not write some things.
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:40pm On Nov 03, 2011
[size=13pt]Jay- Z has never offend the Christians at all . . . grin he's only expressing his mind and that doesn't cut anything from his body . the truth is , Christianity sucks big time and i am so proud i saw JAY--Z inside the Cos membership list after performing our Black Mass couple of days ego. . . Ave Satana !! kiss kiss kiss

Hail the God (s) of Duat!!!. . . . that's the empire state of mind . wink
[/size]
Re: Did Jay-z Mean To Offend Christians On 'Empire State Of Mind'? by fragileNEGRO(f): 6:48pm On Oct 27, 2014
At the end of the day Hes Neva gon serve God or get poor on earth....yalll should chill.
Judgement ain't DAT far no more....heaven will decide what those lyrics mean, so pls get a job before we all stay broke and forgotten.....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Simi: Men Are Crazy Feat Tiwa Savage (Official Video) / Some Day - Angela Okorie Featuring Joe EL Amadi / Latest Nigerian Gospel Party Mix - DJ Ebis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.