Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,329 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

10 Things NOT To Do When Starting A Blog - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Things NOT To Do When Starting A Blog (370 Views)

10 Things To Never Say To Your Boss / Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. / Palmchat Partners With A Nairalander, Tosyne2much For Posting "10 Things" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Things NOT To Do When Starting A Blog by gabonsky: 9:50pm On Mar 28, 2017
There are lots of blogging tips out there on the interwebs, but few people talk about what NOT to do when starting a blog.

What NOT To Do When Starting a Blog | Createandgo.co

And there are some you MUST avoid (unless you’re looking to go nowhere fast…).

Having started multiple blogs that failed and two that have had great success, I feel that I can really help you with this.

By success, I mean generating at least $10k+ per month profit.

I specify profit, because someone’s revenues should never impress you. If you make 10k in revenues but spend 15k in advertising expenses, then you lost 5k!

Not good.

If you would like some proof (as you should be skeptical of ANYONE giving advice in this niche), you can check out our latest income report for blogging.

A lot of these things things are mistakes that we personally made!

What NOT To Do When Starting a Blog
1. Do NOT start in a niche you’re not passionate about.
If you try to force something in your writing, it’s going to show. Even worse than that, you will end up building a job for yourself…

Let me explain:
A long time ago, I tried to start a website called ptformom.com, which was all about fitness tips for mothers. It’s a great demographic that is highly profitable.

The problem? I am not passionate about fitness tips for moms.

Writing the first post was EXCRUCIATING, full of fluff, and crappy content nobody was going to get any real value from. That blog died off as quickly as it appeared, because I had no passion for it!
The good news?

Almost any passion you have can be monetized with the right blog and the right plan!
There are literally thousands of blogs out there making money in all sorts of crazy niches.

Selecting one is incredible easy: just choose something you enjoy talking about.

A blog is just like having a long conversation with people, so it should make sense that the things you enjoy talking about will be closely related to your passion.

2. Do NOT spend days perfecting your name and mission statement.
There are lots of really cleverly named blogs out there with great mission statements that never make a dime.

It’s true.

Just go on the hunt for a domain name, and you will find DOZENS of amazing blog names with websites that failed to make any money. We were guilty of this as well.

Healthandhappyhour.com always brought a smile to the faces of friends and family, but it never made us any real money.

We also don’t have a mission statement on our popular blog at Avocadu.com, and it makes well over 10k per month.

Why?
Because we know now that the content you create will do all the talking for you.

You can say your mission is about “creating a thriving community of the best content for dog owners,” but if you promote shady products, people will see right through you.

It also reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

actions speak louder than words

You don’t need a flowery “about me” page to impact people. If you’re intention is to truly create awesomeness that the world wants and needs, people will see that.

3. Do NOT get started on a free blogging site.
Nothing is a bigger signal that you’re a rookie blogger than a domain like http://jennyblogshere.bloggersblogworld.com.

I can understand that starting a blog for “free” sounds sexy, but there are no free lunches in this life.
Companies like that need to make money somehow, and you will either spend the money now or later on when your website grows. More importantly, a free blog is…

• Unprofessional
• Sloppy
• Will make for a terrible first impression to new blog visitors
• Not owned by you, so it can disappear overnight (like if the company gets sold, for instance).
• A waste of time when you’ll need your own website down the road anyway (to make REAL money).

Which brings me to my next point on our list of what not to do when starting a blog…
For all of you preferred video learners out there, here is a quick video on this topic from our Youtube Channel, Blog and Go, below.
For more free blogging tips and tricks from the experts, make sure to subscribe to our Youtube channel!

For more details, kindly clisk the link below

Source: https://gabrielatanbiyi..com.ng/2017/03/10-things-not-to-do-when-starting-blog.html

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

9 Very Fast Ways For Bank Staff To Get Sacked / Nigeria Customs Service Redeploys 4,072 Senior Officers / Female Marketer Needed In Benin City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.