Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today (11538 Views)

Theresa May Announces Her Resignation As British Prime Minister / Theresa May Shows Her Football Dazzling Skills (pics) / Naa’imur Rahman Plots To Kill Theresa May, British Prime Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Nobody: 8:39am On Mar 29, 2017
One currency trader has predicted that the Naira would weaken against the dollar just because of brexit --- I am waiting for his prediction to be wrong again.
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by fortunes0215(m): 8:52am On Mar 29, 2017
Chukwuka16:
The night of Brexit would ever remain green in my memory. Past midnight there was this certainty that vote remain would have it. Even farage and Boris had subtly conceded defeat, but the results from Wales was the tie breaker and by morning those who left to France the previous day returned by principle to a non-EU country. The result was catastrophic. GBP took a serious bashing and crashed to records low. As article 50 is being triggered it's important we begin assessing it's impact and the subtle opportunities it's going to create. How will education be affected. What incentives would be available for businesses since they would need to provide some incentives for their companies like tax rebates etc to cushion the effects of leaving the free market. How can we tap into this market and benefit maximally should be up for discussion. I see some peeps arguing that UK isn't Nigeria. It would do us a lot good if we just keep an open mind and learn from others as the world is only separated geographically. In essence it's a global village.
Furthermore UK would be re-negotiating alot of trade deals with fellow EU countries and would obviously be looking for deals that offer it the best value. Nations like South Africa would be looking to boost their exports of wine etc to the UK. Nigeria that wants to recover from recession and diversify her economy has been aware since referendum day of this day. Instead of getting our house in order to compete with South America in exporting things like mango and pawpaw and increasing our market share of other products was rather getting our beans banned to EU due to lack of proper management and due diligence.
Brits are cautious now. Spending is dropping and credits are increasing. Scotland is around the corner tinkering with the idea of another referendum to leave the UK and the economy is expected to contract up to 2% this year. With this uncertainty the government would no doubt want to encourage spending to stimulate the economy. Furthermore to keep London attractive would take alot by the government as many EU companies may be forced to relocate their HQs from London to maybe Paris or Brussels or Berlin etc to remain in the free market.
I'm willing to learn from advanced minds on this platform the paradigm shift and economic implications of triggering article 50. What opportunities are there for entrepreneurs and academics. These are my interests and would welcome further enlightenment.

Such a beautiful intro to spur intellectual discussion got only two likes. Whereas if its one ethnic rant or Sai Baba comment...nairalanders would be dashing likes like pure water.

4 Likes

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Nobody: 8:53am On Mar 29, 2017
awoo47:
9ja which way Uk economy growing angry a developed country while we underdeveloping country is in recession yet some immature mumu will come here nd fight over tribe angry angry ur tribe ft carry u go heaven undecidedUganda jews my foot grin grin

And signing climate change agreement
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 29, 2017
fortunes0215:

Such a beautiful intro to spur intellectual discussion got only two likes. Whereas if its one ethnic rant or Sai Baba comment...nairalanders would be dashing likes like pure water.

Careful...
pure water is expensive these days... grin

1 Like

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Ademat7(m): 9:08am On Mar 29, 2017
chukwuka16
intellectuals hv left this forum long ago; what u hv now are tribal freak peeps

1 Like

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by erico2k2(m): 9:10am On Mar 29, 2017
Truth234:

What are you trying to say?
We have nothing to offer
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by erico2k2(m): 9:11am On Mar 29, 2017
NubiLove:
One currency trader has predicted that the Naira would weaken against the dollar just because of brexit --- I am waiting for his prediction to be wrong again.
He could be correct cos if the pounds gains against the dollar then YEAH
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by able20(m): 9:16am On Mar 29, 2017
Rapsowdee01:
UK should do whatever they want abeg.... We Nigerians are solidly behind them
Watin concern you with UK vs Europe wahala, and why should Nigeria be solidly behind dem.
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Nobody: 9:28am On Mar 29, 2017
erico2k2:

He could be correct cos if the pounds gains against the dollar then YEAH

Nope... he is likely to be wrong... because it is likely that the pounds is going to weaken against the dollar.
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by dave07(m): 9:30am On Mar 29, 2017
Chukwuka16:
The night of Brexit would ever remain green in my memory. Past midnight there was this certainty that vote remain would have it. Even farage and Boris had subtly conceded defeat, but the results from Wales was the tie breaker and by morning those who left to France the previous day returned by principle to a non-EU country. The result was catastrophic. GBP took a serious bashing and crashed to records low. As article 50 is being triggered it's important we begin assessing it's impact and the subtle opportunities it's going to create. How will education be affected. What incentives would be available for businesses since they would need to provide some incentives for their companies like tax rebates etc to cushion the effects of leaving the free market. How can we tap into this market and benefit maximally should be up for discussion. I see some peeps arguing that UK isn't Nigeria. It would do us a lot good if we just keep an open mind and learn from others as the world is only separated geographically. In essence it's a global village.
Furthermore UK would be re-negotiating alot of trade deals with fellow EU countries and would obviously be looking for deals that offer it the best value. Nations like South Africa would be looking to boost their exports of wine etc to the UK. Nigeria that wants to recover from recession and diversify her economy has been aware since referendum day of this day. Instead of getting our house in order to compete with South America in exporting things like mango and pawpaw and increasing our market share of other products was rather getting our beans banned to EU due to lack of proper management and due diligence.
Brits are cautious now. Spending is dropping and credits are increasing. Scotland is around the corner tinkering with the idea of another referendum to leave the UK and the economy is expected to contract up to 2% this year. With this uncertainty the government would no doubt want to encourage spending to stimulate the economy. Furthermore to keep London attractive would take alot by the government as many EU companies may be forced to relocate their HQs from London to maybe Paris or Brussels or Berlin etc to remain in the free market.
I'm willing to learn from advanced minds on this platform the paradigm shift and economic implications of triggering article 50. What opportunities are there for entrepreneurs and academics. These are my interests and would welcome further enlightenment.
would be glad to know more of these too. In addition how would Brexit favour migration of skilled workers from sub Saharan African Countries like Nigeria?
Will Brexit allow for a level playing with other EU nationals in this regard and are we really in a position to adequately compete with them in the UK skills demand in a post Brexit environment.
Will also like to see how the blue channel will be eliminated at UK airports

1 Like

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by erico2k2(m): 9:31am On Mar 29, 2017
NubiLove:

Nope... he is likely to be wrong... because it is likely that the pounds is going to weaken against the dollar.
It has since gain against the dollar this year .
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by omoharry(f): 9:49am On Mar 29, 2017
fortunes0215:

It goes to show you that the numbers of mediocres' have increase while the intellectuals on nairaland are on the decline
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Adesiji77: 12:58pm On Mar 29, 2017
@SkyNewsBreak: Prime Minister Theresa May has triggered Article 50 to begin the formal two-year negotiating process for the UK to leave the European Union

cc: Truth234

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Amoto94(m): 1:21pm On Mar 29, 2017
This provides us with another window to discuss trade agreements, military agreement, and technology transfer if our government is serious they should be able to get a better deal.

1 Like

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Truth234(m): 1:21pm On Mar 29, 2017
Adesiji77:
@SkyNewsBreak: Prime Minister Theresa May has triggered Article 50 to begin the formal two-year negotiating process for the UK to leave the European Union

cc: Truth234

Just look at the way she threatened the EU, using security strength of the UK as leverage. Investors seems to buy it as pound is up against the dollar and euro just plunged about 0.6 percent against the greenback.

We will have a better picture of the EU plans on Friday after Malta meeting.

1 Like

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Truth234(m): 1:25pm On Mar 29, 2017
Amoto94:
This provides us with another window to discuss trade agreements, military agreement, and technology transfer if our government is serious they should be able to get a better deal.

True but first our gov have to know their own strength and the team have to be global trades/economies rich.
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Adesiji77: 1:29pm On Mar 29, 2017
@FT: Here is Theresa May's letter to European Council president Donald Tusk and clues for the Brexit talks that lie ahead

Ok @Truth234 smiley

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Truth234(m): 1:46pm On Mar 29, 2017
Adesiji77:
@FT: Here is Theresa May's letter to European Council president Donald Tusk and clues for the Brexit talks that lie ahead

Ok @Truth234 smiley

The British want to eat their cake and still have it, seeking free access to a 500 million consumer market, yet they don't want to be governed by their rules. Bully!

1 Like

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by erico2k2(m): 1:58pm On Mar 29, 2017
Truth234:

The British want to eat their cake and still have, seeking free access to a 500 million consumer market, yet they don't want to be governed by their rules. Bully!
What are you talking about . Have you seen what the citezens of these country do in the UK ? Do you think brevity was about market ?
It's all about population burden on the NHS . School places . U can imagine not being able 2 get a school place for your kids and you only live 3 streets away .
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Truth234(m): 2:01pm On Mar 29, 2017
erico2k2:

What are you talking about . Have you seen what the citezens of these country do in the UK ? Do you think brevity was about market ?
It's all about population burden on the NHS . School places . U can imagine not being able 2 get a school place for your kids and you only live 3 streets away .

Oga, its never about population but security and jobs. I won't respond again.

2 Likes

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Amoto94(m): 2:04pm On Mar 29, 2017
Truth234:

True but first our gov have to know their own strength and the team have to be global trades/economies rich.
I'm afraid that our current crop of ministers aren't capable of negotiating a good deal most especially Minister of Foreign Affairs and that of Trade and Investment
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Truth234(m): 2:04pm On Mar 29, 2017
Following June 23 referendum, Prime Minister Theresa May on Wednesday delivered Brexit proposed methodology to Donald Tusk, the President of the European Council.

Here’s Theresa May’s letter to Donald Tusk in full

On 23 June last year, the people of the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union. As I have said before, that decision was no rejection of the values we share as fellow Europeans. Nor was it an attempt to do harm to the European Union or any of the remaining member states. On the contrary, the United Kingdom wants the European Union to succeed and prosper. Instead, the referendum was a vote to restore, as we see it, our national self-determination. We are leaving the European Union, but we are not leaving Europe – and we want to remain committed partners and allies to our friends across the continent.

Earlier this month, the United Kingdom Parliament confirmed the result of the referendum by voting with clear and convincing majorities in both of its Houses for the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill. The Bill was passed by Parliament on 13 March and it received Royal Assent from Her Majesty The Queen and became an Act of Parliament on 16 March.

Today, therefore, I am writing to give effect to the democratic decision of the people of the United Kingdom. I hereby notify the European Council in accordance with Article 50 (2) of the Treaty on European Union of the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the European Union. In addition, in accordance with the same Article 50(2) as applied by Article 106a of the Treaty Establishing the European Atomic Energy Community, I hereby notify the European Council of the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the European Atomic Energy Community. References in this letter to the European Union should therefore be taken to include a reference to the European Atomic Energy Community.

Read full text here http://investorsking.com/brexit-theresa-mays-letter-donald-tusk-full/
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Truth234(m): 2:11pm On Mar 29, 2017
Amoto94:
I'm afraid that our current crop of ministers aren't capable of negotiating a good deal most especially Minister of Foreign Affairs and that of Trade and Investment

Dr. Okechukwu Enelamah is actually one of our finest brains. But I don't know what happened since he became the minister of industry, trade and investment he has not lived up to his own standard and was fingered in MTN $13 billion transfer. So I don't really know.
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by wolexanda(m): 4:09pm On Mar 29, 2017
Please, can anyone put me through on forex here?, kindly contact me by my mail christkollypo@gmail.com
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by erico2k2(m): 4:36pm On Mar 29, 2017
Truth234:

Oga, its never about population but security and jobs. I won't respond again.
And security and Jobs has nothing to do with population ? ?
Some people's reasoning sha angry
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Blonchilli(m): 4:59pm On Mar 29, 2017
Chukwuka16:
Don't mind dullard Nigerians joor! We will never learn from others mistake but end up making thesame mistake. I personally think this could be a wrong decision. The UK might end up regretting it and getting back to the EU might become difficult by then
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by erico2k2(m): 5:38pm On Mar 29, 2017
Blonchilli:

Don't mind dullard Nigerians joor! We will never learn from others mistake but end up making thesame mistake. I personally think this could be a wrong decision. The UK might end up regretting it and getting back to the EU might become difficult by then
Bro that might not be the case cos it's these dame group of people who voted to get I to Europe in 1975 that voted us out of the EU last year . Look at the value of the £today . We where thinking it's going to die . Already thier volume of export has gone up since January this year . Of you check you might want to ask how the swizz survive up till now . When Romania and Bulgaria joined the EU that was the final nail on the box. If you check the stock exchange mkt today for the 250 it's flat no movement .

1 Like

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Chukwuka16: 6:25pm On Mar 29, 2017
Ademat7:
chukwuka16

intellectuals hv left this forum long ago; what u hv now are tribal freak peeps
You have a point. It's quite disheartening to see peeps make comments that really answer the question how did we get here? Although I might point out that you still get to see awesome and educative posts.
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Chukwuka16: 6:44pm On Mar 29, 2017
Blonchilli:

I don't think we are dullards, No! With the kind of mindset and great minds we continually churn out we can't be. However, the majority have become suppressed and subjugated due to the eroding value system that has promoted quacks and mediocrity above excellence. This has led to a mal-appropriation of our senses to do those things that are not sane. Here is a world changing event (I mean Brexit) that has people churning out predictions and policy papers highlighting how their governments can tap into UK market and EU market. Technocrats are cracking their calculators and consulting technical reports to ascertain in actual terms the monetary impact of today's event by the PM. Research groups are already being formed with data analysts in real time updating charts as negotiations unfold. Experts are carefully weighing statements by government officials to have an idea of how negotiations would go. Think tanks are meeting to deliberate on today's action etc. All these is simply due to UK's share of the global market. With a very strong currency and vibrant financial hub (London) today's action reverberates around the world from Shanghai to Tokyo to New York to Hong etc. markets are already adjusting to the triggering of article 50. What are we doing in Nigeria - debating if Melaye is a graduate, inviting Sagay, signing climate change treaty and delaying ministerial and REC nominees etc. These are some of the reasons why I might be forced to almost excuse your assertion of we being dullards. It just beats my imagination.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Ademat7(m): 6:55pm On Mar 29, 2017
Chukwuka16:

You have a point. It's quite disheartening to see peeps make comments that really answer the question how did we get here? Although I might point out that you still get to see awesome and educative posts.
Few people create educative thread e.g Explorer
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Blonchilli(m): 7:09pm On Mar 29, 2017
Chukwuka16:

I don't think we are dullards, No! With the kind of mindset and great minds we continually churn out we can't be. However, the majority have become suppressed and subjugated due to the eroding value system that has promoted quacks and mediocrity above excellence. This has led to a mal-appropriation of our senses to do those things that are not sane. Here is a world changing event (I mean Brexit) that has people churning out predictions and policy papers highlighting how their governments can tap into UK market and EU market. Technocrats are cracking their calculators and consulting technical reports to ascertain in actual terms the monetary impact of today's event by the PM. Research groups are already being formed with data analysts in real time updating charts as negotiations unfold. Experts are carefully weighing statements by government officials to have an idea of how negotiations would go. Think tanks are meeting to deliberate on today's action etc. All these is simply due to UK's share of the global market. With a very strong currency and vibrant financial hub (London) today's action reverberates around the world from Shanghai to Tokyo to New York to Hong etc. markets are already adjusting to the triggering of article 50. What are we doing in Nigeria - debating if Melaye is a graduate, inviting Sagay, signing climate change treaty and delaying ministerial and REC nominees etc. These are some of the reasons why I might be forced to almost excuse your assertion of we being dullards. It just beats my imagination.
I correct myself. We're not dullards but put value in things that are simply unnecessary. There's really so much that we can benefit from Brexit saga. Nigerians always have this mentality if it doesn't rain on my roof then it doesn't bother me
Re: Brexit: Theresa May To Officially Trigger Article 50 Today by Blonchilli(m): 7:14pm On Mar 29, 2017
erico2k2:

Bro that might not be the case cos it's these dame group of people who voted to get I to Europe in 1975 that voted us out of the EU last year . Look at the value of the £today . We where thinking it's going to die . Already thier volume of export has gone up since January this year . Of you check you might want to ask how the swizz survive up till now . When Romania and Bulgaria joined the EU that was the final nail on the box. If you check the stock exchange mkt today for the 250 it's flat no movement .
The decision was a very unpopular one

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pakistan J-17 Warpalne Discussion / Presidents Buhari, Lungu, Others Mourn Kenneth Kaunda / My Drone View Of Accra-ghana (beautiful Luxurious)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.