Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? (15626 Views)

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Brizzy404: 4:45pm On Mar 29, 2017
Good day people, please I'm in a little bit of a problem right now. It started when i paid rent for a shop in February. The place i paid for was occupied when i paid. The landlord assured me the tenant was going to move out in a week's time. According to him "once i pay, he will balance up the tanant to move out".

After i paid, 1 week passed, 2 weeks, 3 weeks. I called the landlord and told him i will be needing my money back since the property i paid for isn't available. Up to this time, the property of the person occupying the place is still there.

The landlord agreed to give me back my money, so i took out some money and paid another landlord and talked him into allowing me start, pending when i get my money back from the previous landlord and settle him up. Since then it has been one story after another.

I want advice please, has anybody been in a situation like this? What did u do? Because right now I'm planning on going to the police. I have been patient enough, the landlord of the place i am in now is disturbing me and the other one is giving me stories.

Please if this can be moved to the front page, I will be grateful

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by FirstCounsel(m): 4:50pm On Mar 29, 2017
Landlord and Tenant issue isn't exactly a matter for the Police. Except you want to petition the Landlord for defrauding you which I can deduce from your narration

11 Likes

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by awa(m): 6:38pm On Mar 29, 2017
Call Bakassi Boys, OPC boys, Egbesu boy, Militants but don't call Police for him if indeed you want to collect some portion of the money at all.

Bros, na PH you dey and na those People be Landlord forget the money and relocate go village before your loose your life too.

Na true life suggestion I dey give you ohhhh.....

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by botad(m): 6:38pm On Mar 29, 2017
How much is the money that you want to involve police? Better stay clear of police as they will collect the remaining one in your hand and still tell you to settle with the landlord.

If you need your money back, go and meet the landlord and tell him you want your money back in 7 days after which you will proceed to do what you want to do "SPIRITUALLY "!

Just tell him like that.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by fuckboys: 6:38pm On Mar 29, 2017
for your own good and best interest, don't take up this case as a landlord and tenant issue, take it up as Fraud​, you paid for something and it hasn't been delivered to you.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Mar 29, 2017
Set the house Ablaze, he would surely see your seriousness and give you back your money

You can thank me later wink

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Mar 29, 2017
No use police o, get soldier and burst the landlord. He will pay instantly. Trust me

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Zico5(m): 6:39pm On Mar 29, 2017
Is it Lagos? If yes u have entered one chance. U will need to get police involved or u try to get a lawyer that will speak for u if the money is not too much. People are desperate these days and can do anything so far it involves money.

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by divinelove(m): 6:39pm On Mar 29, 2017
Yawns

This is a case of debt recovery, bring some criminal elements into it n arrest him with a police.

Tell police he do u 419, false pretense and collected ur money when he has no house to rent. Claim dt u borrowed d money too n d person u borrowed frm wants d money.

Police will lock him up and b4 his bail he will pay sth reasonable back n repayment plan drawn but police go get serious cut ooo grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by brainreset: 6:40pm On Mar 29, 2017
Brainreset is typing....
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by lovelyjay: 6:40pm On Mar 29, 2017
Seek a lawyer fast

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by eph123(f): 6:40pm On Mar 29, 2017
This is where a small claims court would have come in handy, but I'm not sure we have one in Nigeria.
As someone as advised, get a lawyer.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by slimkiss(m): 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2017
Report him to alfa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2017
This is not related to Biafra OK.
OMG...

This is pure fraud .

Taking a lawyer will impoverish u.

Just report him to one military man after some drilling he will pay u ×3 do it to 3 landlords and get the complete money thank me later grin
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Kaxmytex(m): 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2017
If dat shop is not occupied by anoda tenant, ur money no go come out...

if u involve men in black(police) una wan slash d money b dat..

if u involve lawyer, shey u no go pay am ni, plus u go wait small sef

help d landlord find anoda tenant put insyd dat shop and as d tenant dey give landlord d money, collect ur share shaperly....
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by triplewisdom: 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2017
Landlord wahala doesn't end until you become a landlord.
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by myrygurl: 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2017
You just have to involve the police oo since he is not ready to settle amicably... May b he has invested the money in MMM sef who knows
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by cr7lomo: 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2017
Guy.....you have been jobbed
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 29, 2017
Landlord please give me my money!!!! That should do it
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by SexyNairalander: 6:42pm On Mar 29, 2017
booked

meanwhile

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Desdola(m): 6:43pm On Mar 29, 2017
Do the needful, get your lawyer to petition him
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Christane: 6:43pm On Mar 29, 2017
Go cause wahala 4 ur landlord house him go vomit ur money by fire by force

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2017
awa:
Call Bakassi Boys, OPC boys, Egbesu boy, Militants but don't call Police for him if indeed you want to collect some portion of the money at all.

Bros, na PH you dey and na those People be Landlord forget the money and relocate go village before your loose your life too.

What are you saying?
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by AngelicBeing: 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2017
fuckboys:
for your own good and best interest, don't take up this case as a landlord and tenant issue, take it up as Fraud​, you paid for something and it hasn't been delivered to you.
True that
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Kylekent59: 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2017
I was just surprise when I saw bbnaija on nairabet. See as efe carry odd.
Abi nå only me notice am grin
Bisola
Efe
Debie-Rise
Tboss
Marvis
Bally
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Brunosamel(m): 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2017
Bro if you have a lawyer file a suit against him, I assure that you money will be refunded within a week. Is not police matter.
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by emeijeh(m): 6:47pm On Mar 29, 2017
Did you meet the occupant of the first shop to ask questions?
If not,

I got nothing to say
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Mar 29, 2017
Ask Google. .. grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by anibi9674: 6:48pm On Mar 29, 2017
awa:

ok stop tarnishing the image of PH.
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Jalubarika(m): 6:49pm On Mar 29, 2017
Forget Police, don't use force. Report him at the Landlord Association in that Area. Sharperly, He'd pay u ur money. My one penny for u
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 29, 2017
Brizzy404:
I want advice please, has anybody been in a situation like this? What did u do? Because right now I'm planning on going to the police. I have been patient enough, the landlord of the place i am in now is disturbing me and the other one is giving me stories.

First, appeal to your landlord for patience. Make him understand the tight corner you're in but assure him you'll settle him as soon as possible.

I agree; you could talk to the police, though not "formally". Talk to a few policemen in your network of friends and ask for advice on the next steps to take.

Also consider changing tactics with the story-telling landlord. If you've been calling him every 30 minutes, maybe you're becoming too predictable. Also avoid making empty threats; let your actions speak for you.

You're a businessman. Use your skills at reading people. Does this guy look like someone who will melt on seeing a letter from a lawyer's chambers? Is he the type of person who will remove his shirt with glee at the slightest hint of a brewing brawl?

This will determine the kind of cards you play next.

It's a tough one, but you've done the right thing to speak out. Also go through this thread and digest the wisdom therein.

Tell us how it goes.
Re: How Do I Get My Money Back From A Landlord? by Mznaett: 6:50pm On Mar 29, 2017
Get a lawyer asap

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Your Perfect Architectural design,Construction&approval In Nig,pls Read This / Fire Outbreak At Alakia Ibadan / Anambra State Slashes Cost Of "C Of O"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.