Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,096 members, 7,807,279 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:52 AM

Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine (2318 Views)

Mike Tyson: Car Collection Of The Most Dreaded Boxer (photos) / Man Uses A Rope To Pull A Faulty Car In Benin, Edo State / Subaru Owners Please Lets Meet Here.. Thanks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by tahoe(m): 11:01pm On Mar 29, 2017
Subaru is the only automaker on the planet that uses the boxer engine in its entire lineup. They use it in the Forester, Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, WRX/STI, Legacy and BRZ. Porsche is the only other automaker that uses the flat, H-shaped, opposed-piston “boxer” engine. It’s a good design and it’s winning awards. Subaru’s 2.0-liter turbo boxer WRX just picked up its second consecutive Wards 10 Best engines award.

The Boxer powerplant has been used by Subaru since 1966 and has been continually evolving. Subaru says that won’t change in the future. They will continue to use the engine to power their vehicles. There’s three reasons why Subaru is committed to the powerplant.

Acceleration is smoother in the boxer
V type engines which most automakers use, reciprocate the piston in the vertical direction, whereas in the horizontally opposed engine reciprocating pistons reciprocate horizontally. Because they cancel each other's power, there is less vibration and you can feel the smooth acceleration.

It lowers the vehicle’s center of gravity
Horizontally opposed engines have a lower overall height than general series and V type engines, due to the structure of the piston being horizontally arranged in the crankcase. It makes the engine lightweight, compact and it lowers the vehicle’s center of gravity. This makes for a more dynamic driving experience in Subaru’s taller all-wheel-drive vehicles that have a higher ride height like the Forester, Outback and Crosstrek. In Subaru’s performance WRX and WRX STI, the sports cars remain stable at high speeds in the corners.

Reduced damage during a collision
One of Subaru’s core values is safety, and boxer design helps reduce damage in a collision. Horizontally opposed engines are low in overall height, so the structure will be pushed under the floor in the event a frontal collision. Therefore, it’s difficult for the engine to be pushed into the cabin, reducing injury to the passengers. This is evident in Subaru’s high collision safety performance.

With new engine and powertrain technologies on the way, Subaru will continue to use the boxer engine in their Forester, Outback and Crosstrek all-wheel-drive vehicles, even in hybrid powertrain applications. With all-electric vehicles
becoming more widely used , this could change that in a big way.

Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Lexusgs430: 3:47pm On Mar 30, 2017
No mention of TOYOTA + BOXER ENGINE + GT86 ?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Nobody: 3:05am On Mar 31, 2017
Lexusgs430:
No mention of TOYOTA + BOXER ENGINE + GT86 ?

Technically, it's a Subaru.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Lexusgs430: 3:41am On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Technically, it's a Subaru.

Toyota enthusiasts would not truly agree with you....... .
Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Nobody: 4:28am On Mar 31, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Toyota enthusiasts would not truly agree with you....... .

No real Toyota enthusiast that I know consider a mere Scion an enthusiast vehicle.

Real Toyota enthusiasts that I know salivate over Supras wink

But to each his own.

"The Toyota 86 is a series of 2+2 seater sports cars jointly developed by Toyota and Subaru and solely manufactured by Subaru. It features a boxer engine, front engine, rear wheel drive drivetrain, 2+2 seating and a fastback coupé body style."

Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Lexusgs430: 4:44am On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

No real Toyota enthusiast that I know consider a mere Scion an enthusiast vehicle.

But to each his own.

"The Toyota 86 is a series of 2+2 seater sports cars jointly developed by Toyota and Subaru and solely manufactured by Subaru. It features a boxer engine, front engine, rear wheel drive drivetrain, 2+2 seating and a fastback coupé body style."

This supra is so so old school........... Why drive a gas guzzling supra, when the GT86 is so new age and much cheaper to own?
Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Lexusgs430: 4:48am On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

But to each his own.

Each truly to their own. The GT86/BRZ warms my cockles any time any day..... . ...
It's tail happy, but thrilling to push to its limits (not on a race to heaven)..........
Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Nobody: 5:04am On Mar 31, 2017
Lexusgs430:

This supra is so so old school........... Why drive a gas guzzling supra, when the GT86 is so new age and much cheaper to own?

I suspect that you're a poser and not an enthusiast but like I said to each his own.

LexusGS300 < LexusGS430

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Lexusgs430: 5:13am On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I suspect that you're a poser and not an enthusiast but like I said to each his own.

LexusGS300 < LexusGS430

You know me too well, it's terrifying....... And it's a GS430......
A good reliable solid family car. And the GT86 for all kurukere waka's (don't tell the wife).. ... THANK YOU

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Nobody: 5:28am On Mar 31, 2017
Lexusgs430:

You know me too well, it's terrifying....... And it's a GS430......
A good reliable solid family car. And the GT86 for all kurukere waka's (don't tell the wife).. ... THANK YOU

I drove my wife crazy when I was shopping for my Mini Cooper. She didn't understand why it had to be an S grin

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Lexusgs430: 5:44am On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I drove my wife crazy when I was shopping for my Mini Cooper. She didn't understand why it had to be an S grin

I would naturally presume the S meant sports (literally). But in Yoruba terms, that 'S', meant shina. If only I could appropriate marks on the shina........

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Nobody: 6:55am On Mar 31, 2017
Lexusgs430:

I would naturally presume the S meant sports (literally). But in Yoruba terms, that 'S', meant shina. If only I could appropriate marks on the shina........

And the sounds of it is "do..mi" shocked

We've successfully bastardized this thread grin

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Lexusgs430: 7:17am On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

And the sounds of it is "do..mi" shocked

We've successfully bastardized this thread grin

LOL. .....
Just a slight Segway.....

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 31, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Mtssw. The supra any time any where. Hmm gas guzzling but fun to drive still better looking and will always rev like a beast. Also the stock block can be tunned to 1000+ HP and will still handle it. That's FACT and am not even a supra fan. But its the reality
Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by Lexusgs430: 5:13pm On Mar 31, 2017
xvbill:

Mtssw. The supra any time any where. Hmm gas guzzling but fun to drive still better looking and will always rev like a beast. Also the stock block can be tunned to 1000+ HP and will still handle it. That's FACT and am not even a supra fan. But its the reality

1000+ HP? Where are attempting to rush to? Or do you have an appointment to keep beyond the blue cloud?
Re: Reasons Why Subaru Uses The Boxer Engine by EnkayDezign: 6:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
Doesn't Porsche also use boxer engines? the flat six engine in the 911 and boxter

Also where are the Mercedes fan boys, cuz this neat piece of tech was first patented by? You guessed it

Karl Benz wink

(1) (Reply)

Is Corolla Better Than Matrix / Christmas Came Early To Gazzuzz / Elantra Vs Corolla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.