Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,773 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher (11990 Views)

My Life As A Teacher. / 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work / The Indispensable Role Of The Laboratory Scientist In The Health Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher by shadeyinka(m): 2:29pm On Apr 02, 2017
Jobabori:

A good teacher should be both born and made. Attitude and genuine love that you suggested as the main issue are just part of affective domain. A trained teacher knows that he still need to improve on cognitive and psychomotor domains of the child. This shows the difference between a teacher and a cheater. A NCE or BEd holder is a teacher while non qualified ones are cheaters.

I agree with everything you said except the bolded.

I think you are over rating Certification over Ability.

If a person with Ability is Trained, he becomes very good.

Interstingly, some of the worst Teachers I know read courses relating to Education.
Re: How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher by Abdulqareem: 2:55pm On Apr 02, 2017
THE LOST PROFESSION
Teaching as profession has long been relegated to the pages of long forgotten journals. Teachers are national builders but the government and it's citizens are hell bent on destroying the lives of teachers. No wonder the standard of education in Nigeria keeps devaluing like Naira against dollar. Just as it is practically impossible for one naira (#1) to equate one dollar again in Nigeria, so also the standard of education in Nigeria. I am sure Awolowo and other founding fathers will die over and over again over the irredeemable damage done to education.
During the good old days, Teachers are perceived as demigods capable of doing the unimaginable with there God given talents. The best brains in the country today is enough to attest to this. Teachers standard of living is something everybody look up to.
Today, the story has changed. The society in collaboration with the satanic government has approved the status of Teachers in the society. And that is "A teacher will die as a pauper". Teachers are now seen as 3rd class citizens in the country. The salary package alone speak volumes about the profession. Politicians, health, Oil & gas, communication and Engineer happens to fall in the same categories of people the society now look up to. Even an ordinary health extension worker receive more pay than some principals. What a pathetic situation!!!.
The profession has been bastardized as every Dick and Harry now see teaching as a "stepping stone". The regulatory body TRCN (Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria) and NUT (Nigeria Union of Teachers) has done more harm than any good to the profession. Certificates and License are issued to anybody who might have failed to secure his or her "dream job". Can a teacher be issued a License to practice in the Court or hospital? Then why teaching? The best way an Economics Teacher can explain job mobility based on working condition is to use Teaching as a case study. No wonder teachers now join military and paramilitary jobs.
The best way to revive Teaching is to see this profession as equal or more than every other profession. What do you think attract people to medicine, health rated courses Engineering and law? It's the money and prestige. Sadly a Teacher has non of these. TRCN, NUT and Labour can do more than asking teachers to be patient. Get the government to pay Teachers like every other person in the country. If I were to be an Economics or Government Teacher, I would use a Teacher's life In Nigeria as a case study of citizen in the 3rd or 4th world.

*******To be continued*********
Re: How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher by Originalsly: 3:45pm On Apr 02, 2017
Hmmm.... not sure what to make of this....more like being a good teacher. The one point that stood out for me is that a teacher should try to know more about each child's circumstances... his family, provider, their level of education, who helps with homework, chores, discipline in the home, etc... these are the things that can help a teacher to understand the child and how to relate to him to make learning easier and mould him to be a better person. Most importantly, but what wasn't mentioned... is the ability to teach... to impart knowledge... to make most children really understand the knowledge you are trying to share. As a teacher.... this should always be the #1 objective and should be achieved by any means necessary. Shout out to all teachers!........real teachers!
Re: How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher by Originalsly: 4:10pm On Apr 02, 2017
Flyingngel:

Guy i have seen things in my school. Thou i try my best for those that really came to school to learn but sometimes it can be frustrating.
I hear you.... but let's reason. As a teacher, I guess you are seeing your role as teaching academics only. Your role is to educate the students and that goes beyond text books...and beyond exams... you are preparing students for life... to be able to be good and productive citizens and parents. Cult members?....don't shun them.... pick them off one by one ... build rapport with them... let them tell you the dumb reasons why they became members... then show them reasons they can relate to why they should go in a different direction. Too many of our youths are without guidance.... from their parents and worse... from the Church.. so they take guidance from their peers... the blind leading the blind. As a teacher.... maybe they forgot to tell you.... you are also counsellor and guidance expert! Try doing that... in the same baaad school you're in... and trust me... you'll see for yourself the difference you can make in the life of so many ... a difference that money can't buy....that's what real teachers do.
Re: How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher by dokunbam(m): 6:30pm On Apr 02, 2017
fabre4:

God knows what you thought them when you can't spell boarding school

No pun intended though.

undecided That is a mistake o bros
Re: How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher by castrol180(m): 6:33pm On Apr 02, 2017
fabre4:

No pun intended though.
Mr teacher who places "thought" in lieu of "taught"
Re: How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher by castrol180(m): 6:34pm On Apr 02, 2017
fabre4:

No pun intended though.
Mr teacher placing "thought" in lieu of "taught"...correct me ooo
Re: How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher by fabre4: 9:12pm On Apr 02, 2017
castrol180:

Mr teacher who places "thought" in lieu of "taught"
Hehehe na so God dey take catch person
Re: How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher by aflame100(m): 10:05am On Aug 09, 2017
fabre4:

Hehehe na so God dey take catch person
Don't Mind Him, He Wanted To Bring D Guy Legs Out; But He End Up To Shame Himself,that Is How Devil Punish And Disgrace Him. 'over Sabi' .

1 Like

Re: How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher by yetunde84: 8:08pm On Sep 18, 2017
what are the most effective strategies that teachers can use to maintain their professional power in schools?

1 Like

Re: How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher by kenn5sure: 3:50pm On Apr 08, 2020
Flyingngel:
I like your points but the aspect of getting to knw even their birthday and hw they are faring at home got me weak. Such cannot be applicable in Government Secondary Schools where you teach close to 350 students. Another point is that in private schools i.e. Secondary schools, it look as if they selected education loving and less stubborn students but Guy come to Government Schools most especially where i am teaching you will b shock to knw that we have like 5 cult groups.
A situation where students will come to school but decide to stay in d bush to smoke and fight or girls that will come to school with a cloth inside her bag that she will use to go and enjoy during school hours.
Guy i have seen things in my school. Thou i try my best for those that really came to school to learn but sometimes it can be frustrating.

You can make a change ....just try be of help to those students who are not serious in term of financial help or constant counseling.....you will be able to get some of them to ur side if not all

(1) (2) (Reply)

Resigning My Position To Pursue My Goal: Advice Needed / A Fintech Or A Bank Job? / 8 Things I Learned From The Co-founder Of Jobberman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.