Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,907 members, 7,802,951 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? (6272 Views)

Earn Extra With Your Writing Skills On Social Media. / 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing / 7 Amazing Tips To Improve Your Writing Skills Quickly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 01, 2017
kayo80:
I plan to become a Billionaire (in dollars) from my writing. And i plan to achieve this by writing constantly. I plan to have a total of 100 books published in the next ten years...I have published 9 books so far. If you like Romance Suspense stories, you can checkout some of my stories here on nairaland by clicking on my profile.
Oga, you dey dream. There're many good writers in the western world who aren't billionaires in dollars, but na you in Nigeria go reach? If you want to be a billionaire in dollars you're in the wrong profession, bro, because writing isn't it.
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by kayo80(m): 10:59am On Apr 01, 2017
Incline:
Oga, you dey dream. There're many good writers in the western world who aren't billionaires in dollars, but na you in Nigeria go reach? If you want to be a billionaire in dollars you're in the wrong profession, bro, because writing isn't it.

Dream killers...naysayers...They told me about people like you. Just remember this name- kayode odusanya.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 11:01am On Apr 01, 2017
kayo80:

Dream killers...naysayers...They told me about people like you. Just remember this name- kayode odusanya.
Just speaking the truth o, no vex.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by ClassCaptain(m): 1:27pm On Apr 01, 2017
Chanchit:
Writing is not at all easy, so if you don't want your effort to be wasted

1, Don't write free stories on NL: I've read many stories on NL and the best stories don't even get to reach front page sometimes, and when it does, it still does not bring a dime to the writer. But shout out to story writers like classcaptain , I know you would be contacted for some of ur stories here on NL soon.

2, Don't publish in a hurry: Take your time to write and proof read, many stories have been stopped half way here on NL cos the writer just couldn't go on with the fiction.

3, Make a name and your book would bring profit: If let's say 2face should publish a book today, which I think he has done already, he would definitely smile to the bank, cos of the name, if 30% of his fans should read it, then it would be a monetized effort.

4, Don't self publish: Just don't try this in Nigeria brother!

I've written 3 stories which I think would be very good for screen play, but I would rather keep it to myself till its ready to come out. And I also keep my diary close to my heart, I won't mind sharing when needs be. But for now, it's a no no. Cos nobody would pay me for my stress.

Bro, one thing one must realized in Life at times is that it is not always about the money...U are into.music and am sure you know more than enough about this...

the passion comes first. then the money follows but at a point,making profit should be among the goals !!!

1) I quite agree with this... My best stories are not on nairaland yet and I have bigger plans for them..But this should not dissuade one from posting stories..It is this story that bring you the exposure, connects you with friends and helpers,help u gain a reasonable fan base and help u market any other thing u want to offer...

I have met someone who singlehandedly gave me 30k for one of my stories here !! You never know who is watching and will bring u to real lime light..

Have also gotten some publishing deals from people but I can call them " Slavery deals '

2) totally agree

3) very true

4) Naijasinglegirl sold 419 copies of her book at 1000 naira each on okadabooks ...She self published it...That shouldn't discourage anybody !!!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Chanchit: 1:42pm On Apr 01, 2017
ClassCaptain:

Bro, one thing one must realized in Life at times is that it is not always about the money...U are into.music and am sure you know more than enough about this...

the passion comes first. then the money follows but at a point,making profit should be among the goals !!!

1) I quite agree with this... My best stories are not on nairaland yet and I have bigger plans for them..But this should not dissuade one from posting stories..It is this story that bring you the exposure, connects you with friends and helpers,help u gain a reasonable fan base and help u market any other thing u want to offer...

I have met someone who singlehandedly gave me 30k for one of my stories here !! You never know who is watching and will bring u to real lime light..

Have also gotten some publishing deals from people but I can call them " Slavery deals '

2) totally agree

3) very true

4) Naijasinglegirl sold 419 copies of her book at 1000 naira each on okadabooks ...She self published it...That shouldn't discourage anybody !!!

Well, maybe I just adviced from an angle of someone that has two cards (music/writing) so I prefer to put in for music first cos it would aid writing faster than writing aiding music. And to be sincere, 419 copies is not that much o, but a good start.
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by AkinPhysicist: 2:00pm On Apr 01, 2017
LordXaaan:
AkinPhysicist, LordXaaan is back.

LordXaan - welcome back
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by ghostwritter(m): 2:38pm On Apr 01, 2017
Chanchit:
Writing is not at all easy, so if you don't want your effort to be wasted

1, Don't write free stories on NL: I've read many stories on NL and the best stories don't even get to reach front page sometimes, and when it does, it still does not bring a dime to the writer. But shout out to story writers like classcaptain , I know you would be contacted for some of ur stories here on NL soon.

2, Don't publish in a hurry: Take your time to write and proof read, many stories have been stopped half way here on NL cos the writer just couldn't go on with the fiction.

3, Make a name and your book would bring profit: If let's say 2face should publish a book today, which I think he has done already, he would definitely smile to the bank, cos of the name, if 30% of his fans should read it, then it would be a monetized effort.

4, Don't self publish: Just don't try this in Nigeria brother!

I've written 3 stories which I think would be very good for screen play, but I would rather keep it to myself till its ready to come out. And I also keep my diary close to my heart, I won't mind sharing when needs be. But for now, it's a no no. Cos nobody would pay me for my stress.
I strongly agree with u and I have learnt few things from what u just said....I have written nine unpublished books, I wrote it with an intent of making it the best screen play ever. I only posted tips of it on Nairaland (I don't complete stories on social platforms). I take my time, I rest when tired, source for motivation and get people's view on the ideas.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Kayceenaz(m): 3:08pm On Apr 01, 2017
novelBeast:
What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing?

That's the question I asked myself 2 months ago when I began my recent (and final) personal challenge: to independently publish my entire archive of creative writing and fiction.

Like so many things in life, if you want to accomplish something, a good place to start is by setting goals. A list of things that you can do, that will push you closer to the outcomes you desire.

But in order to identify what those goals are, you have to have some idea of what it is you're trying to accomplish. So I'll ask you again...

What Do YOU Want To Accomplish With Your Writing?

There are no right or wrong answers, it's entirely up to you. You don't even need to share your thought in this thread. Keep them to yourself if that helps.

Is your objective to write and independently publish a book, or a series of books, like me?

Is it to start a business of some kind? An online newspaper or blog, an editing service, copywriting service, ghost writing? Do you want to publish essays and bring awareness to the state of education in your country? Do you want to create content to promote entrepreneurialism in your community? Do you want to encourage people to eat healthier, live better, or report on local or international politics?

What?

What do you want to do with your writing? What are you trying to achieve?

Give yourself time to think about it, then go from there.

Once you have an idea of where you'd like to go, charting your course becomes a little easier. smiley

Meanwhile, enjoy. Happy Reading!

WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER (A SHORT STORY)

In the wee hours of monday--the seventh day of a new year, Albert laid in his bed turning from left to right like an empty polythene bag tossed to and fro by the wind, hoping that solution-based answers to his conundrum at the shoe factory would pop up in his troubled mind.

Hasta La Vista Ltd., popularly known as HLV, was a force to reckon with in Cuadrego city. Her giant-like office complex located in the heart of the town, distinguished it and made other buildings adjacent to her seem like ants. Its far-reaching patronage by residents and those from neighbouring towns added to her annual profit that ran into billions. HLV's reputation for qualitative, cost-effective shoe products and robust monthly remuneration package preceded her. This made it every Cuadrego youth's dream place to work, thereby turning up her biennial recruitment process to a hundred degrees centigrade.

In his modest office of a rotating seat, wide writing desk and two chairs, Albert strolled from one end of the office to the other with hands in his pocket. "What will I do? How do I explain this to the management?" He queried himself, as sweat dropped freely from his contorted face. Reaching for his mobile phone plugged to the wall socket beside his restroom's door, he quickly called Mr. Antonio (the general sales supervisor), acquainting him with the tragedy that struck his last sales transaction. "Mr. Ortega's cheque bounced after five hundred Prada pairs of shoe delivery valued at 2,500 euros each. I requested for a cheque when our POS got dysfunctional. He seemed like a gentleman," Albert narrated.

Shortly, he called for a unit meeting, with all ten persons under him in attendance. Spilling the beans, Albert urged them to be calm as apprehension and fear of getting sacked gripped them. Amidst this tensed ambience, Julius Odelio (renowned for his quick-fix aptitude) confidently stood up. Seconding Albert's call, "Challenges like this spring up not to break us rather to make us. We have to end this emotional display now and put on our thinking cap. Let's alert the police to carry out a covert investigation on this case. Mr. Ortega is not invisible. We will find him and rectify this error before the mid-year routine auditing commences. We are in this together," he inspirited them.

Kaycee Naze
(Rational Pen)

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by smashad(m): 4:30pm On Apr 01, 2017
mine is kind of funny tho but true.. I spent so many years searching for my talent that till today I still have doubts, but Mehn I love writing. I have this occasional impulse of thoughts and I begin to envision and systematically organize it into a story. jst anything at all turns me on in terms of that..
the first story I started writing, Lord I wrote a chapter today and the nxt day it started manifesting in my life, and I had planed out tragedy for d character, I stopped immediately, d story is still unfinished....
Now my problem is dat Wen I start a story having gone far I get so lazy or let me say tired and unable to continue, I have piles of unfinished stories, I jst loose d zeal to continue.
mind you I plans to burst through the scenes of writing someday

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Akalia(m): 8:42pm On Apr 01, 2017
novelBeast:

Congrats on getting your first book out there. Honestly you've done more than most. There are so many people still waiting to get their ideas in front of people, but never use the resources that are right in front of them. Will all of your work focus on nonfiction and self-improvement? Just curious.

I wrote short self-improvement/personal development books for 4 years, before selling the rights to them last year to focus on improving my fiction. We'll see how well I do in a few months. Also, I will save your author profile to my Amazon account to see how well you're doing by the end of the year. Best of luck, and may your journey be blessed and abundant! smiley
thanks for the good will. With respect to your question; my future works will mainly border on self improvement volumes but I have got plans for some fiction works too.
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Apr 01, 2017
novelBeast:

I agree. It's the same for me. The story I'm working on now involves themes that were once struggles in my own life. Writing helped me through drinking and depression years ago. The more I write, the more I learn about myself.

Do you have a link to your writing online? I'd love to read some of it if you do. smiley

Wow! Writing can sometimes be something like a therapy lol, glad you are out of of that stage.

I'm not really a professional or something like that lol and most stories I write are personal and written in german.The only 'story' that's online, is here on Nairaland and it was just a thread created for fun.

https://www.nairaland.com/3683372/scene-tell-write-wooing-scene#54632168

Nothing special

I'm curious about yours though
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Davidlein(m): 9:42pm On Apr 01, 2017
Ogashub:
These days poor/broke people writes on how to become a millonaire in 1 week and same people still halk the books themselves.... Why didn't their book work for them
Because they placed themselves in a wrong position and around people like you
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Chanchit: 10:01pm On Apr 01, 2017
novelBeast:

This response will be long, but only because I want to share some thoughts with future readers, just in case.

Writing is easy to start. You just do it. However, it's not an easy concentration to maintain. It takes time. Like any line of work, it has to be done repeatedly and consistently before it becomes effective. That being said, I don't believe in the concept of wasted effort when it comes to writing.

Don't write free stories on NL:

Some writers want to be compensated for everything they created. Whether that means getting a book deal, receiving monetary compensation for their work, tons of views, or whatever. They want to write a piece today, and have something come out of it other than sharing the work itself. I don't mind sharing my work online, be it here or another site, because most often what I'm looking for is the feedback from readers about the piece.

When I read the work of writers on Nairaland, I don't see it as wasted, because they are getting feedback. When people respond, whether it's positive or negative, you can use those comments (some of them) to help you improve your work. You have to listen to every individual comment, but if 10 people comment on your story, and 7 of those 10 bring up the same interest or issue, then that's something to look into. If each person leaves a different response, weigh them to see how you feel about it, and if you disagree, move on.

Just because someone comments on a piece doesn't mean you have to change your work to sit their interests. Start trying to appease everyone and I can guarantee that you'll never create anything worth publishing.

many stories have been stopped half way here on NL cos the writer just couldn't go on with the fiction.

There could be a number of reasons why this is so. Could be because the story was too difficult to manage, they lost interest, they no longer had a device to access the website and continue, I don't know. Many times, I've found that it's not just the story they've stopped, but have stopped posting to NL completely.

However, if it were me, and I were publishing a story here or anywhere else, I would start by committing to a routine that would allow me to continue writing. Maybe publish a piece of the story once every few days, or even once a week. Something that would allow me to keep readers engaged at regular intervals. Whether or not it will work for anyone else, I cannot say, but it's where I would start, then adjust from there, depending on how things go.

But as to why people quit halfway through a story, the only way I can offer possibly solutions for that, would be to know why the writing stopped in the first place, unfortunately.

Make a name and your book would bring profit:

It is almost impossible to make a name for your book, or your work in general, without someone having been pre-exposed to your writing. Which is why I said I don't believe in the notion of wasted effort.

If you have an idea, put it out there and see how people respond to it. If they respond favorably, then you know you're onto something. If they respond negatively, then you know you've got some work to do to improve. Only by exposing people to your work, will you ever gain a reputation. I'm not saying you have to share all of your stories on NL or anywhere else, I'm just saying you have to give people an opportunity to read your work, to determine whether or not they like it. Whether it's among your peers in a creative writing course, at a writer's conference or workshop, submitting it to a publishing agent or magazine for publication, or sharing it among the members of your church.

Once you know what people respond to, you can leverage that knowledge to begin improving and strengthening your writing, and eventually, begin to build a name for yourself and your work.

It doesn't have to be the novel you're working on. It could be a story you've pulled from the top of your head on your way home from work.

The decision is yours. But if you want to build an audience, you must first give them something to consume. And the more they fall in love with your work, the stronger your reputation becomes.

Don't self publish: Just don't try this in Nigeria brother!

I've read this a lot, but I've never read any reason as to why someone shouldn't. Is it because self-publishers are scammers and they steal your work? Or is it because the pay is very little?

There's nothing wrong with self-publishing (in general) however, you do have to be cautious of where you self-publish. I've read the terms of a few self-publishing sites that tell writers they must surrender the rights to their work for a short period of time. Which is something I do not agree with in any capacity. A writer should always retain the rights to their work.

But as far as self-publishing in Nigeria, I don't know. I'll have to look into it and find out why people say it's a dead end.

We all have a choice in life, many people have been referred to as an author even without them picking a Biro Or typing 'A'. I have decided I would be in that part of the devide, and I would walk tall cos my story has been written by me.
I respect your opinion too, but I would rather stick to my own way.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 01, 2017
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Perfecter4real(m): 10:11pm On Apr 01, 2017
novelBeast:

It's definitely how I started. I've kept a journal for many years, but before that, I wrote stories. I tried to have a book published when I was 15, but never did. But I never stopped writing stories. I loved it too much. And now, years later, I have a ton of writing that I can put to use for both fun and profit. So I agree, you don't need a purpose to start writing, but if you intend to do anything with it, you need an area of concentration to help you fine tune your craft to make the most of that opportunity.
That's true
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Valfrankie(m): 10:14pm On Apr 01, 2017
novelBeast:

I'm curious, but why do you think you're unable to write? A lot of times, I've found that people who struggle to write, are also struggling with things internally. A fear, depression, unhappiness of some kind, stress, or even anxiety. They have so many other concerns that they can't focus on anything else. Even something like writing or reading.

But if it's not stress, then perhaps right now isn't your time. You cannot give the world what is not inside you, so maybe this is the Universe's way of telling you to wait, grow some more, and try again later.
You nailed it. writing is my fort, but as it stands, I'm struggling with so many things I cannot make public for personal reasons. It's a 2Pac Shakur struggle, my brother, ME AGAINST THE WORLD. Right now, I'm making sure I win both the battle and the war!!!
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Akalia(m): 10:20pm On Apr 01, 2017
novelBeast:

Cool. Though I've sold the rights to most of my work, if I come across anything I've not sold or don't intend to use, I will send it your way. Maybe you can put it to use in some way.
that will be of great importance bro. Ride on to limelight.
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 12:32am On Apr 02, 2017
novelBeast:

I don't have any of my fiction online yet. I'm still in the process of building the two websites where I'll feature it. Once they are complete, I'll begin publishing and sharing content. In the meantime, I will share a few things on NL until they are ready.

As for your story, I enjoyed it. It plays on very real emotions and thoughts concerning love. Something everyone can relate to in one way or another. Especially the part where you say:

"HE was scary not because he'll hurt me, at least not physically but because it hurts. No it stings! It stings AND hurts, like my heart was being pierced by many tiny knives. Just that in this case the knives were his words. "

Love and commitment are very real fears for lots of people. For different reasons, but still, it's the same fear. One I used to know very well. Perhaps that's why I liked it so much. Because it reminded me of my former self.

Have you, or will you, continue the story? Or leave it as is for people to wonder and think about?

Thanks cheesy. I've never thought of continuing it though...
Re: What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? by Nobody: 3:43am On Apr 02, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

All About Ifueko. A Story By Adesuwasylvia / Divide. / 'if Men Were God'.a Poem Written By Me, Please Read And Comment.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.