Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 (4443 Views)

Super Clean Volvo V40 2003 Model For Give Away / 2001 Volvo V40 Scan Codes / Help Us Choose Between Volvo S40 2000 And Golf 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Brasstop: 8:00pm On Mar 31, 2017
Please help me select from these two cars- Volvo v40 and golf 3/Vento. I need a run around car within town. What should be taken into consideration is fuel consumption, ruggedness, durability, shock/suspension and cheap parts.
Thank you.
Gurus in the house, help a brother out. Gazzuzz, kingreign, nurey, valarinz
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by SmartchoicesNG: 8:02pm On Mar 31, 2017
Golf 3 with speed. Ease of access to various mechanics who can work on the Golf MK3 ... Parts are readily available and price friendly....
Fuel economy is great on the Golf and it has a lot less electronics​ to give you sleepless nights unlike the dreaded Volvo.

Verdict: Buy the Golf MK3 Asap
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Brasstop: 8:10pm On Mar 31, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:
Golf 3 with speed. Ease of access to various mechanics who can work on the Golf MK3 ... Parts are readily available and price friendly....
Fuel economy is great on the Golf and it has a lot less electronics​ to give you sleepless nights unlike the dreaded Volvo.

Thanks smart choice. The thing tire me. Golf 3 and Vento na im be regular taxi for warri. I like the v40. I don't really know what's the attraction but the shape is pleasing to my eyes. I guess I won't have to go by shape alone but by hard facts and statistics. Thanks for your contribution
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by SmartchoicesNG: 8:13pm On Mar 31, 2017
Brasstop:

Thanks smart choice. The thing tire me. Golf 3 and Vento na im be regular taxi for warri. I like the v40. I don't really know what's the attraction but the shape is pleasing to my eyes. I guess I won't have to go by shape alone but by hard facts and statistics. Thanks for your contribution
Brother... There's a reason the Golf is used as taxis in your area. Key into the advantage. Volvo cars are not your normal easy to maintain rides... They're beautiful... Exquisite and lovely.... WHEN WORKING.

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Brasstop: 8:17pm On Mar 31, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Brother... There's a reason the Golf is used as taxis in your area. Key into the advantage. Volvo cars are not your normal easy to maintain rides... They're beautiful... Exquisite and lovely.... WHEN WORKING.
Lol @ when working. OK sir
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by SmartchoicesNG: 8:18pm On Mar 31, 2017
Brasstop:

Lol @ when working. OK sir
You're welcome sir
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by WeNoGoDie(m): 8:21pm On Mar 31, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Bros my experience with Golf 3 was a horror I wouldn't wish anybody. Tokunbo grade at that. It drank fuel without mercy.
Repairs was draining money from one problem to the other till it parked full time.

Please go and buy the smallest Toyota Corolla you can find. Don't say you weren't warned.

If you doubt me search Golf 3 on carcomplaints.com.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by SmartchoicesNG: 8:25pm On Mar 31, 2017
WeNoGoDie:

Bros my experience with Golf 3 was a horror I wouldn't wish anybody. Tokunbo grade at that. It drank fuel without mercy.
Repairs was draining money from one problem to the other till it parked full time.

Please go and buy the smallest Toyota Corolla you can find. Don't say you weren't warned.

If you doubt me search Golf 3 on carcomplaints.com.
You had a unique problem. Maybe you bought the American model. Most often than not mechanics with average brains can fix it
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Nobody: 10:50pm On Mar 31, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

You had a unique problem. Maybe you bought the American model. Most often than not mechanics with average brains can fix it
u are right, he went for the American version, from research and experience i learn that American version is not good, so my advice for anyone buying Volkswagen car should go for their German version, don't go elsewhere. That is where their power at 'Germany'
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by diportivo: 11:16pm On Mar 31, 2017
dancok:
u are right, he went for the American version, from research and experience i learn that American version is not good, so my advice for anyone buying Volkswagen car should go for their German version, don't go elsewhere. That is where their power at 'Germany'

The american model 97 mk3 I was in charge of some years best is prolly the best vag iv driven

Very swift 2.0 mpfi engine,keyless entry...all the works

Best part? Twas a manual grin

This ur argument na wa tongue
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Nobody: 11:29pm On Mar 31, 2017
diportivo:

The american model 97 mk3 I was in charge of some years best is prolly the best vag iv driven

Very swift 2.0 mpfi engine,keyless entry...all the works

Best part? Twas a manual grin

This ur argument na wa tongue
not generally though, but most of American version is no go area. Btw how did u get keyless on mk3? Just curious
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by diportivo: 11:57pm On Mar 31, 2017
dancok:
not generally though, but most of American version is no go area. Btw how did u get keyless on mk3? Just curious

Bro,na so dem dey ask o

It came with 2keys and 2 remote sef

I miss d ride like mad
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Nobody: 12:13am On Apr 01, 2017
diportivo:

Bro,na so dem dey ask o

I miss d ride like mad
u bought it tokunbo right? Or na nija use, mine came with too keys but no remote, Golf 4 o. U get luck.
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Brasstop: 5:10am On Apr 01, 2017
dancok:
How will I know which is American spec or German spec. Abeg make una enlighten me small.
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by dokiOloye(m): 5:23am On Apr 01, 2017
diportivo:

Bro,na so dem dey ask o

I miss d ride like mad
I used a golf 3 immediately after graduation and I tell U most solemnly,I'd have bought another one and be using still if not for d factor of say " dem go de flag me down thinking its a taxi".
Most rugged car ever liveth,fuel consumption is almost like a motorcycle.Surprisingly very balanced on d highway,cheap and reliable parts.

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by nams77: 7:23am On Apr 01, 2017
dokiOloye:
I used a golf 3 immediately after graduation and I tell U most solemnly,I'd have bought another one and be using still if not for d factor of say " dem go de flag me down thinking its a taxi".
Most rugged car ever liveth,fuel consumption is almost like a motorcycle.Surprisingly very balanced on d highway,cheap and reliable parts.
. We are on same page. I am a bit worried about people flagging me down presuming iam a cabbie. Well, I no go mind sha..Na the bottom line I go dey reason.-A good and durable ride. op,go for the golf

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by diportivo: 7:52am On Apr 01, 2017
The Volvo V40 will serve too

I'm an advocate of driving what u love...life is too short to be driving what someone else loves.

Brasstop:

How will I know which is American spec or German spec. Abeg make una enlighten me small.

DRL sometimes

Speedometer has miles

Bumper is wider/bigger for both back and front

Space for number plate is smaller at the back

Brake lights come on differently.there are three bulbs for each light rear light.middle is park light for both specs. Outer is brake for European, inner is brake for american

But den,we are soo used to seeing European dat when u see american u will sha know...cos it will look very diff

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by SmartchoicesNG: 7:52am On Apr 01, 2017
dokiOloye:
I used a golf 3 immediately after graduation and I tell U most solemnly,I'd have bought another one and be using.
Fixed.
Better than becoming an emergency and involuntary mechanic or a free flowing ATM
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 01, 2017
Brasstop:

on getting to buy it, u are going to open abi, it obvious they will write it near the doors and more so engine, they will on the engine and seconly, American version usually came with their windows tinted,which the European ver don't do,(that's when u are buying tokunbo o, not Nigeria second hand o)
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by valarinz: 7:58am On Apr 01, 2017
Brasstop:
Please help me select from these two cars- Volvo v40 and golf 3/Vento. I need a run around car within town. What should be taken into consideration is fuel consumption, ruggedness, durability, shock/suspension and cheap parts.
Thank you.
Gurus in the house, help a brother out. Gazzuzz, kingreign, nurey, valarinz

For obvious reasons, you know the one i'll ask you to go for. Though i can't say i can confidently tell you about the golf 3/ Vento cos i haven't used them and i'm not really into the brand. But the volvo V40 96-99 models (16 valve engine) fits in to every thing you listed as compulsory ie fuel consumption, cheap parts, ruggedity, shocks and so on

By the way, some people are taking this nairaland online beaf thing a lil too far sha, whats the electrical on a V40 biko, car wey get only headlights, car stereo as the major electrical component. for the sake of getting back to valarinz, someone will jump on every thread where volvo is mentioned to scream "avoid the dreaded volvo" , continu, you think you're doing me?

OP, also note that i think the V40 is more beautiful and might command respect more than the golf series, tnx

4 Likes

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by kingreign(m): 8:08am On Apr 01, 2017
valarinz:

For obvious reasons, you know the one i'll ask you to go for. Though i can't say i can confidently tell you about the golf 3/ Vento cos i haven't used them and i'm not really into the brand. But the volvo V40 96-99 models (16 valve engine) fits in to every thing you listed as compulsory ie fuel consumption, cheap parts, ruggedity, shocks and so on

By the way, some people are taking this nairaland online beaf thing a lil too far sha, whats the electrical on a V40 biko, car wey get only headlights, car stereo as the major electrical component. for the sake of getting back to valarinz, someone will jump on every thread where volvo is mentioned to scream "avoid the dreaded volvo" , continu, you think you're doing me?

OP, also note that i think the V40 is more beautiful and might command respect more than the golf series, tnx

Tell them. Tell the OP, Volvo V40 99/2000 model it is.

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by diportivo: 8:53am On Apr 01, 2017
dancok:
on getting to buy it, u are going to open abi, it obvious they will write it near the doors and more so engine, they will on the engine and seconly, American version usually came with their windows tinted,which the European ver don't do,(that's when u are buying tokunbo o, not Nigeria second hand o)

Nah!!

No be so bros

valarinz:

Even the guy wey wan buy sef prefer the Volvo

grin
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Brasstop: 9:51am On Apr 01, 2017
valarinz:

Yeah valarinz.i completely agree with you sir. The aesthetics of the car is alluring to my eyes. My worries is parts and competent mechanics. I will take a walk thru spare part market next week to enquire about parts.
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Brasstop: 10:02am On Apr 01, 2017
I truly appreciate everyone's input. That's why I love naira land car section. I have learnt much in such a short Time. Most evenings, I pore through thread after thread soaking up vital knowledge. I can't believe I was the one schooling a colleague on some issues concerning automobile. How I wish I knew then what I know now, my first car wouldn't have gone through all the abuse and neglect it went through. The Moto really suffer. Pls keep dishing out great Infos. You are actually educating someone, somewhere. Thanks all. I will go to spare part market and have a talk with dealers about affordability and availability of v40 parts

3 Likes

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by nnamdibig(m): 12:38pm On Apr 01, 2017
I am also in search of a very clean Naija used V40 first body and auto gear.

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by diportivo: 12:38pm On Apr 01, 2017
Brasstop:
I truly appreciate everyone's input. That's why I love naira land car section. I have learnt much in such a short Time. Most evenings, I pore through thread after thread soaking up vital knowledge. I can't believe I was the one schooling a colleague on some issues concerning automobile. How I wish I knew then what I know now, my first car wouldn't have gone through all the abuse and neglect it went through. The Moto really suffer. Pls keep dishing out great Infos. You are actually educating someone, somewhere. Thanks all. I will go to spare part market and have a talk with dealers about affordability and availability of v40 parts

At the bolded,some ppl will ridicule the car and say na d car nor good

Meanwhile,na dem suffer the car undecided

Welcome to the Volvo world bro grin

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by nams77: 4:08pm On Apr 01, 2017
nnamdibig:
I am also in search of a very clean Naija used V40 first body and auto gear.
Contact valarinz. He might have something for you. Go thru his thread
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Brasstop: 4:10pm On Apr 01, 2017
diportivo:

At the bolded,some ppl will ridicule the car and say na d car nor good

Meanwhile,na dem suffer the car undecided

Welcome to the Volvo world bro grin
At least I openly admitted that I maltreated that car. If that Moto na human being I for don go find am, apologize to am grin. Do you drive a Volvo too?
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by nnamdibig(m): 5:27pm On Apr 01, 2017
nams77:

Contact valarinz. He might have something for you. Go thru his thread

valarinz oya report here.
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by valarinz: 8:49pm On Apr 01, 2017
nnamdibig:

valarinz oya report here.

Yes sir, grin cool
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by nnamdibig(m): 9:04pm On Apr 01, 2017
valarinz:

Yes sir, grin cool

Volvo V40 very neat Naija used, first body, auto 2002-2003 model
Do the needful
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by valarinz: 9:07pm On Apr 01, 2017
nnamdibig:

Volvo V40 very neat Naija used, first body, auto 2002-2003 model
Do the needful

If the chairman contact me and he's serious about it, then we'll see what we can work out

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fuel Consumption On Lexus Rx 300 / Most Reliable Suv/truck / 10 Tips For Driving Safely In Road Construction Zones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.