Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,171 members, 7,780,197 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:45 AM

Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 (4411 Views)

Super Clean Volvo V40 2003 Model For Give Away / 2001 Volvo V40 Scan Codes / Help Us Choose Between Volvo S40 2000 And Golf 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by diportivo: 9:55pm On Apr 01, 2017
Brasstop:

Do you drive a Volvo too?

Not really

Mum owns an 03 S60 dat valarinz helped in procuring

Been driving it alot for a while now and I'm loving it the more

Its not even the luxury version and it gives me the following

Reverse sensor

Fog light

Alloy wheel

Abs/dstc

Plenty plenty airbags cheesy...two in front,2 at the sides,2 curtain airbags at the pillar,2 at the back seats,2 curtain at the back too shocked(side impact protection system SIPS on point)

And my favourite...a 5speed auto transmission mated to an i5 2.0T grin

You can never go wrong with a turbo wink

Oh,I'm not a speed demon but I swear,when this car is on 150kph u won't even know..

That's a 2003 model oh....and some people will be shouting Toyota upandan

I wanna be shown the Toyota dats an 03 model,small as the S60 that can offer all what it offers undecided

5 Likes

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by nurey(m): 8:23am On Apr 02, 2017
diportivo:

Not really

Reverse sensor

Fog light

Alloy wheel

Abs/dstc

Plenty plenty airbags cheesy...two in front,2 at the sides,2 curtain airbags at the pillar,2 at the back seats,2 curtain at the back too shocked(side impact protection system SIPS on point)

Oh,I'm not a speed demon but I swear,when this car is on 150kph u won't even know..

I wanna be shown the Toyota dats an 03 model,small as the S60 that can offer all what it offers undecided

Who all that epp?
Very
Odd
Looking
Vehicular
Object
grin

3 Likes

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by kingreign(m): 9:59am On Apr 02, 2017
diportivo:

Not really

Reverse sensor

Fog light

Alloy wheel

Abs/dstc

Go find out what a Lexus ES300 base model is all about. Then come tell me
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by diportivo: 2:10pm On Apr 02, 2017
kingreign:

Go find out what a Lexus ES300 base model is all about. Then come tell me

I no get transport fare to go anywhere tongue

A Lexus is a luxury brand...

And despite Toyota being the manufacturer, a Lexus is a Lexus

That base model u r saying will cost more dan the Volvo with nothing less dan 1million...how many can afford dat?

My write up isn't even for gurus like u...carry ur petrol head go front my oga

The S60 isn't bigger dan the corolla...na dat one I wan take compare.....even the IS sef na still Lexus

Let's be fair grin

3 Likes

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by diportivo: 2:12pm On Apr 02, 2017
nurey:

Who all that epp?
Very
Odd
Looking
Vehicular
Object
grin

undecided

Haters Nigeria unlimited

4 Likes

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by simiolu1(m): 6:35pm On Apr 03, 2017
diportivo:

Not really

Reverse sensor

Fog light

Alloy wheel

Abs/dstc

diportivo:

I no get transport fare to go anywhere tongue

A Lexus is a luxury brand...

And despite Toyota being the manufacturer, a Lexus is a Lexus

That base model u r saying will cost more dan the Volvo with nothing less dan 1million...how many can afford dat?

My write up isn't even for gurus like u...carry ur petrol head go front my oga

The S60 isn't bigger dan the corolla...na dat one I wan take compare.....even the IS sef na still Lexus

Let's be fair grin

diportivo:

undecided

Haters Nigeria unlimited

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by Brasstop: 9:04am On Apr 04, 2017
diportivo:

Not really

Reverse sensor

Fog light

Alloy wheel

Abs/dstc

Yesterday while returning from lunch break with a friend after devouring a bowl of eba mated to a delicious plate of vegetable soup, mother luck smiled on me. I saw a guy alighting down from a v40. I sauntered to where he packed. Initially he was afraid to talk to me. He didn't want to wound the glass down. I didn't blame him. This is warri. Even a man in suit can become a dare devil the next minute, but when he became aware of my mission, he warmed up to me with so much enthusiasm. He said I should go ahead and buy the Volvo and that he has been using it for four years without issues. When I mentioned electrical problems, he laughed it off. He said there is nothing like electrical problems. He only mentioned cost of parts which is slightly higher than Toyota. He said he said one of the ball joint has been bad for six months but he is still using it, but if na Toyota, the thing for don fall off since cheesy
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by nurey(m): 9:53am On Apr 04, 2017
Brasstop:

Yesterday while returning from lunch break with a friend after devouring a bowl of eba mated to a delicious plate of vegetable soup, mother luck smiled on me. I saw a guy alighting down from a v40. I sauntered to where he packed. Initially he was afraid to talk to me. He didn't want to wound the glass down. I didn't blame him. This is warri. Even a man in suit can become a dare devil the next minute, but when he became aware of my mission, he warmed up to me with so much enthusiasm. He said I should go ahead and buy the Volvo and that he has been using it for four years without issues. When I mentioned electrical problems, he laughed it off. He said there is nothing like electrical problems. He only mentioned cost of parts which is slightly higher than Toyota. He said he said one of the ball joint has been bad for six months but he is still using it, but if na Toyota, the thing for don fall off since cheesy

instead of you to go and buy what you have in mind and like you are here still comparing and bad mouthing other products. If i share my first personal experience with a volvo S40 which is actually a saloon of the V40, you may decide to think twice, but i am not a fan of crowd mentality if others dont use something different, we wont be able to improve in our choice. buy the damn V40 and enjoy life
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by valarinz: 10:54am On Apr 04, 2017
nurey:

instead of you to go and buy what you have in mind and like you are here still comparing and bad mouthing other products. If i share my first personal experience with a volvo S40 which is actually a saloon of the V40, you may decide to think twice, but i am not a fan of crowd mentality if others dont use something different, we wont be able to improve in our choice. buy the damn V40 and enjoy life

You have a point, but may I ask if the S40 that show you shege was the 05 model?
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by nurey(m): 11:06am On Apr 04, 2017
valarinz:

You have a point, but may I ask if the S40 that show you shege was the 05 model?

i would do anything to have that 05 model and upwards its the most scarce car i have ever come across, i nearly bought the car then but it was priced higher than i budgetted i love the sleek design and its the only volvo am in love with for now. The volvo i experienced is actually the 95 to 04 is not that its bad but dearth of mechanical knowledge is the problem especially when you arent using it in Lagos.

My father inlaw changes timing belt on it every 2 months when the thing wan give am HBP he had to discard it for a meagre amount, it uses interference engine anyway and once belt cut, you know the rest. Ordinary belt change no expert to do it, he used it in osun. Am not saying Volvo are bad but its really frustrating using cars that need learned technicians to fix, i know wetin my eye see when i used nissan in the North, the parts were X2 prices in Lagos and simple diagnosis they cant do, they just do trial and error most times.

Please is the 05 upwards S40 a complicated car to use and does it give major headache and also what engine to watch out for when purchasing one it has 1.6 I4, 2.0 I4, 2.4 I5 and 2.5 I5 turbo

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by valarinz: 12:20pm On Apr 04, 2017
nurey:

i would do anything to have that 05 model and upwards its the most scarce car i have ever come across, i nearly bought the car then but it was priced higher than i budgetted i love the sleek design and its the only volvo am in love with for now. The volvo i experienced is actually the 95 to 04 is not that its bad but dearth of mechanical knowledge is the problem especially when you arent using it in Lagos.

My father inlaw changes timing belt on it every 2 months when the thing wan give am HBP he had to discard it for a meagre amount, it uses interference engine anyway and once belt cut, you know the rest. Ordinary belt change no expert to do it, he used it in osun. Am not saying Volvo are bad but its really frustrating using cars that need learned technicians to fix, i know wetin my eye see when i used nissan in the North, the parts were X2 prices in Lagos and simple diagnosis they cant do, they just do trial and error most times.

Please is the 05 upwards S40 a complicated car to use and does it give major headache and also what engine to watch out for when purchasing one it has 1.6 I4, 2.0 I4, 2.4 I5 and 2.5 I5 turbo

Chai!! Bros this is very true, all what you've just stated here, most volvo cars that are brought in from some states of the country here to lagos have undergone serious abuse and so clear the mechanics don't know what they're doing or they couldn't source the right parts or both

Funny enough those older models are the easiest to handle 95-00 model being the least complicated, from 00-04 models became a lil more technical, they introduced ETM on them and some other electricals, however , from 05 above it became even more technical and electrical ,so the average naija mechanic (most of whom don't even know what a scanner is) simply can't handle it

So I'm now wondering, if in your state of residence you can't find competent hand for the older models thengine how are you going to cope with the 05 model. Sleek and beautiful car it is, but based on your experiences regarding your location, just forget it. When some people call me to enquire about my cars and I hear they're from certain states (ie zamfara, taraba,kogi etc) I just tell them to forget it and look for what's popular in their states to avoid long stories
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by nurey(m): 12:29pm On Apr 04, 2017
valarinz:

Chai!! Bros this is very true, all what you've just stated here, most volvo cars that are brought in from some states of the country here to lagos have undergone serious abuse and so clear the mechanics don't know what they're doing or they couldn't source the right parts or both

Funny enough those older models are the easiest to handle 95-00 model being the least complicated, from 00-04 models became a lil more technical, they introduced ETM on them and some other electricals, however , from 05 above it became even more technical and electrical ,so the average naija mechanic (most of whom don't even know what a scanner is) simply can't handle it

So I'm now wondering, if in your state of residence you can't find competent hand for the older models thengine how are you going to cope with the 05 model. Sleek and beautiful car it is, but based on your experiences regarding your location, just forget it. When some people call me to enquire about my cars and I hear they're from certain states (ie zamfara, taraba,kogi etc) I just tell them to forget it and look for what's popular in their states to avoid long stories

I am staying in Lagos, Osun is where my father inlaw stays. Even if i am to leave lagos, it would be Ogun state for me.

I dont care how complicated the elctrical in the car is, i just want to know if all the engines are ok and dont give too much trouble, wont mind a turbo charged version. Just give me a bit info on the engines (i would really love the ones with timing chain).
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by nams77: 1:31pm On Apr 04, 2017
Oga valarinz. Pls enlighten us on the engine specs just as the oga above is demanding.
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by valarinz: 1:46pm On Apr 05, 2017
nurey:

I am staying in Lagos, Osun is where my father inlaw stays. Even if i am to leave lagos, it would be Ogun state for me.

I dont care how complicated the elctrical in the car is, i just want to know if all the engines are ok and dont give too much trouble, wont mind a turbo charged version. Just give me a bit info on the engines (i would really love the ones with timing chain).

To the best of my knowledge, ill say none of the acute cases I've encountered are as a result of engine issues, so I'll say it's safe to chose any of the engine types, but my preference will be the non turbo version cos the parts are more readily available and also less problematic
Re: Please Help A Brother Select: Volvo V40 And Golf 3 by cynacob28: 7:24pm On Aug 14, 2020
Golf3 the most rugged car have seen...using one for almost 6 years now still going well automatic transmission

(1) (2) (Reply)

Acura RDX 2007 Temperature Gauge Issue / Is Buying A Car With A Mileage Of 109,000 Miles A Safe/good Buy? / Advice On Getting A Car For Use In Nigeria (mainly Lagos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.