Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? (6431 Views)

Packaged Dried Catfish Business. Is It Profitable? / Is It Profitable To Invest/print Recharge Cards? / Is It Profitable To Be A UBA U-Mo Agent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 25, 2009
NEWSPAPER OR MAGAZINE BUSINESS, IS IT PROFITABLE?

Pls help nairalanders, am trying to go into a newspaper and magazine business, I was wondering if it is very profitable, if yes, how does one make money out of it? In fact, how do newspapers and magazines make their money?

How about online newspapers or magazines, will Nigerians read or buy and read such newspapers or magazines online?
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by opmoore(m): 8:51pm On Dec 25, 2009
Call me let me
educate you the more 08068053510
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by olukunle: 12:35pm On Dec 26, 2009
What's your contact? I run a magazine at the moment, if you are interested, we can partner together.

please mail olukunle100@yahoo.com or call 07037395938.
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by sayso: 11:48am On Dec 28, 2009
if Data network services tariffs  comes down,those business will cease to exit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by Nobody: 11:54am On Dec 28, 2009
Profitable, but you need solid reputation before it becomes profitable.

The early stage is the most difficult stage for a newspaper or Magazine, but if it survives the first two or three years or shorter(like Next and Sun), and it stamps a name in teh market, then it can begin to amke huge profit through adverts. Some papers and magazines that don't care about reputation also compromise and make money projecting the image of some people or organization through what will appear to readers as independent, neutral reporting.

All in all, almost half of Nigerian papers and Mags die within the first one or two years.
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 28, 2009
only if the paper becomes a praise-singing tool
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by madamL(f): 1:16pm On Dec 28, 2009
Takes time to break even. Newspapers make money through adverts, sales proceeds are not much. You could make it in two ways but one way is sustenable. You could turn to a praise singer and rake in quick cash but will soon be forgotten or you write the truth and slowly gain a very long lasting reputation.

You also need good, well educated, urbane folks as writers. You also need a lot of hitech communication gadgets, that way your reporters also double as photographers and make up staff.
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 28, 2009
Hi,
I work for a national newspaper and about to start my own magazine, can help you package your newspaper or magazine for advert placement and sponsorship, holla me(08029314720)
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by saintneo(m): 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2009
first learn about the secrets of money making.
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by neily(f): 6:10pm On Dec 28, 2009
The truth is that the business is actually fading out unless its a celebrity magazine. I will advice u to look for another profitable business. But if u re determined u can go ahead u may succeed but its going to take some time don't loose courage.
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by mamagee3(f): 7:17pm On Dec 28, 2009
Both are profitable. tongue
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by Fhemmmy: 8:10pm On Dec 28, 2009
I think u can make ur money in it, but you will be the determinant factor.
You need to research your target audience, and be sure you have information that they want and would like to pay for.
Deal with corporate body that will be willing to pay to advertise in your paper, but that might not happen till they see the potential of reaching their own audience.
But it could b profitable, but you need to work hard.

Good luck
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by PapaBrowne(m): 8:35pm On Dec 28, 2009
Newspaper Profitable? Forget it!
The internet would kill the print media very very soon.
I get 80% of my news from Nairaland.
Plus it is extremely expensive to start a newspaper.

If you must start a newspaper, make sure it is an industry specific, non daily paper that would depend largely on advertising,

For magazines, its also much better when it is industry or demographic specific. However, there is already a glut in the magazine industry.
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by baekdoosan(m): 12:04am On Dec 29, 2009
I think newspapers are more profitable than magazines (in Nigeria)
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by Redman44(m): 12:17am On Dec 29, 2009
Mate, the internet is not going to stop the Newspaper and Magazine industry. Don't develop cold feet, please. It all has to do with your niche market. There is nothing like holding a Newspaper or Magazine in your hand. The way journalism is practised in Nigeria is what makes sales low in the Print media. How many newspapers are published in Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa and our other languages? What do we report on? Specialized publications are going to be the in thing very soon. I've also observed that publishers in Nigeria are not very innovative when marketing their Media products. It does not end with dumping the Media Products with vendors . It is much more than that. Content is key and this is where many publishers get it wrong cry Do your own research on publishing. It is a profitable but slippery business. Cheers.
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by Mim4(m): 5:49am On Dec 29, 2009
Apart frm what u wil learn here find out frm other places.wish u luck
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by dolu2007(m): 2:33pm On Dec 29, 2009
Profitable.
You have to be committed, persistent,patient,and have enough enthusiasm in your line of publication. In most cases, remember you may not yield profit until after the second or third year.

Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 29, 2009
Well, thanks a lot brothers. Well, if the internet would replace newspapers, it means presently there are no newspaper or magazine sales in the US, is this true nairalanders? What if the news or piece of information cannot be found on the net?
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by chelseabmw(m): 6:41am On Dec 30, 2009
@POSTER

PLS DO NOT WASTE UR MONEY, WITH INTERNET EVERYWHERE NOW,NO BODY WILL BE INTERESTED
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by FMK(m): 6:49am On Dec 30, 2009
this is  a friendly advice  with Media development  like  Interent and other, do not waste your Money  try to find another business
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by Orikinla(m): 12:45pm On Dec 30, 2009
Poster.
It is capital intensive, but may I advise you to contact the Publisher of Bottomline who left Fidelity Bank Plc to publish Bottomline and he has no regrets.

Supply on Demand works best in publishing newspapers and magazines in Nigeria.
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by lawisong(m): 4:28pm On Dec 30, 2009
My brother no listen to all these folks dat dont know a thing about the internet talking of internet replacing print media. You all make me laugh. I'm into magazine production and believe it or not the business is very lucrative but the fact is that at the begining it survives on adverts than on sales. The cost of two adverts alone can cover the cost of production and when you add up sales you'll still have some good money left. Start small and gradually increasing your cost price. Dont try to start compete with Ovation but start small and you'll grow up with time. The truth is that every business is lucrative depending on who runs it. I started my magazine while in the university and i'm still in business 4 years after. God will give you wisdom.
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by saintolaf(m): 10:38am On Dec 31, 2009
@lawisong -so hw can u be of help 2 a startup. What are the basic requirements. I wudnt mind to get intouch with you cos i'm workin on a similar project, an industry specific mag. I'm on article.intel@gmail.com tnx
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by duzz: 11:17am On Dec 31, 2009
I have for sale fully complete used news paper printing press with 50,000 news paper capacity per hour for sale. The plant is either for any upstart news paper targeting the 50,000-1,000,000 daily capacity.

The total equipment cost only €310,000
shipping to Nigeria and training is included at no cost to the buyer.
payment option is either Letter of Credit,

contact at matheworama@gmail.com
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 02, 2010
lawisong, I want to thank you for such an encouragement. Please can I get your phone number so that we can talk or even get to meet physically?

I would kind of need your mentorship in this area?
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by NaijaPress: 12:05am On Jan 30, 2018
What Kind Of online Business can one actually start with 50,000 - Credit Pent
Re: Newspaper Or Magazine Business, Is It Profitable? by Kachidubem: 8:35pm On Dec 02, 2023
sayso:
if Data network services tariffs  comes down,those business will cease to exit.
This your comment here is legendary... you definitely had foresight

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Inflation Rate Rises Further To 21.91% In February 2023 / List Of Uk Clearance Stores / What Do I Invest 100k With or what kind of business can i do with 100k Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.