Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,851 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

How Did Don Jazzy Build The Biggest Record Label In Africa? Here Are 5 Traits. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / How Did Don Jazzy Build The Biggest Record Label In Africa? Here Are 5 Traits. (894 Views)

Top 5 Record Labels With The Biggest Impacts In Nigeria Music 2017 / How To Join A Record Label In Nigeria / The Biggest Record Label In Town {fortune Records} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Don Jazzy Build The Biggest Record Label In Africa? Here Are 5 Traits. by mokkalu1(m): 8:41am On Apr 01, 2017
Arguably, the Supreme Mavin Dynasty is the biggest independent record label in Africa. The lagos based label made history in November 2016 when it garnered One million followers on Instagram, beating global players like Universal music group, warner Music group, Sony music group, Atlantic records, Def Jam etc to the feat.
Asides from the social media success, Mavin records houses some top acts in the music business, from Tiwa savage to Iyanya, Dr Sid, D’Prince, Rekado Banks, Afro Dija, Koredo Bello, it also recently added Johnny Drill and the DNA due to the growing lists of recording artists. It is also a home to top Producers such as Don Jazzy himself, Altims, and Baby Fresh. DJ BigN is also signed to the label.
Indeed the success of Mavin speaks volume and one may wonder how Michael Collins Ajereh (AKA) Don Jazzy who is not a reputed singer himself built such a dynasty as it is called. Here are some personal traits we believe aided Don Jazzy in his rise to International Showbusiness.
http://www.holixclusive.com/index.php/2017/04/01/how-did-don-jazzy-build-the-biggest-record-label-in-africa-2/
Re: How Did Don Jazzy Build The Biggest Record Label In Africa? Here Are 5 Traits. by Nobody: 10:03am On Apr 01, 2017
Make I do amebor small.
1. HE HAS A SOLID ROOT IN MUSIC Don jazzy is reputed to have started music at a tender age. He played the drum as well as Bass Guitar at the tender age of 12. It is also on record that his first journey out of Nigeria was an invitation to play drums at a local church in London, and from then all became history. With such a background, one can then imagine how the monster beats he produces comes about.
2. HE UNDERSTANDS HIS STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES Don Jazzy doesn’t have an amazing voice. The truth is the Don himself seems to be acutely aware of this and has built his singing career in such a way that the not-so-palatable voice has become a signature in African music. The ace producer doesn’t headline songs but offers backup that has proved to be invaluable to such tracks fortunate enough to attract his voicing. This is a classical example of turning a weakness to strength.
3. HE IS VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT HIS ARTISES This fact is very obvious. The Don is a master promoter of his artistes. He once said in an interview, “I think I was born to do this, there are other record labels doing as great, but in my research, I don’t think there is any that is as passionate about the careers of their artists as I am. I am over passionate about my artistes. Until the last man blows, I am not happy. I think about their success before I think about making money, but most labels are always interested in making back the money they’ve invested and making profit. Don’t ever worry about the money you spend and not recouping it.” with a mentality like this, who wouldn’t have the highest number of successful artistes in his label?
4. HE IS NOT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY Don Jazzy has often said he is not all about the money and as much as one may doubt the possibility of such assertion, a close look at the beginning of his career may prove this point. It was obvious that Don Jazzy of early Mo Hit Records was out for the glory and not money. He was quoted as saying, “I believe in the talent God has given me and I believe I will make so many more hit songs, so if you believe in what you are doing and you work very hard, money will come. You don’t need to be greedy and make all the money in the world when your artistes are not making money. Sometimes my lawyers tell me that the way my artists cotracts are set up are wrong because I am cheating myself with the sharing formula, but I don’t thik I am cheating myself. I think I am making my artists more comfortable and in the long run, we’ll be fine because I care more about my name and the glory than the money.”
5. HE UNDERSTANDS BUSINESS A little digging into Don Jazzy’s educational background shows that he enrolled in Business Management Studies in Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State. It is unclear weather he finished his studies or not, but the business man in him can easily be seen. From attracting juicy endorsement deal to himself and his artistes, Don Jazzy has metamorphosed into an investor in areas outside of music.
Re: How Did Don Jazzy Build The Biggest Record Label In Africa? Here Are 5 Traits. by mokkalu1(m): 10:13am On Apr 01, 2017
ikennaf1:
Make I do amebor small.
It's allowed. I go target you too. 😀
Re: How Did Don Jazzy Build The Biggest Record Label In Africa? Here Are 5 Traits. by MusicPromota(f): 11:52am On Apr 03, 2017

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO: Qdot – Apala New Skool [DOWNLOAD] / New Music Alert - Gabi Trigga _fuggin Slay / Download: Efe – Based On Logistics [official Video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.