Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:37 AM

The 'dying' Yoruba PANEGYRIC (Oriki), An Idea For Its Preservation. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 'dying' Yoruba PANEGYRIC (Oriki), An Idea For Its Preservation. (2040 Views)

The Oriki Of Omo Ede - What Is Your Oriki / Oriki Omo Ibadan / Lets Know The Full Oriki Of Your Home Town.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 'dying' Yoruba PANEGYRIC (Oriki), An Idea For Its Preservation. by thegraace: 9:38am On Apr 01, 2017
Oriki is a brief genre the Yorubas typically use to inspire themselves. It s often in poetic form and songs of praise. Oriki is also used as means of identifying the different Clans of Yoruba, to undderstand people's lineage and pedigree and for persuasion which is one of its basic uses. In the form of persuasion, it is like a compassionate force that subconsciously exerts stimulating vigour upon persons targeted.

It captivates the targeted person (s) with the vigour to do something, more of a supernatural influence. It ascribes to the act of stimulating ability upon the interest or emotion of a person. Yoruba musicians will ensure you empty your pocket once they get hold of your Oriki. More of the reasons Yorubas are quick to sing someone's Oriki in other to persuade them to do something.

A visit to one's grandfather in the village would usually start with them first mentioning one's Oriki name, then they deluge one with the family's Oriki name. (Which will certainly elevate one's emotions)

It is a norm in Yoruba customs and tradition for a person to have individual Oriki after their usual name, and as well, family Oriki and sub-ethnic Oriki. Oriki is devided into different types, there are Oriki for deities, for sub-ethnic, family and individual. For example, my family Oriki; Emi ni Omo Ogboni (not Ogboni that of fraternity) mo dulore mere ni akun, Omo a teni wijo, mo ni Ogboni lo lere ja to bu fo wa sogun, Owa o ni o un jije bi ti baba mi Olasore. Emi ni Omo ateni wijo, Omo a bo'ku jowu, Omo a boku ji jadu iwo etc.

Oriki (panegyric) is certainly one of the cultures the Yorubas take pride in. A culture crying for revival. Our Elders please what happens to Oriki (panegyric)? Something must be done now! For this culture to live, I have an idea for the preservation of this precious culture of ours. THE IDEA- We the bona fide Sons and Daughters of Yoruba can come together and initiate a project to document Oriki (Panegyric) of Yoruba. There are many unemployed graduate like me who can work tirelessly for the project. Each and every ancestral family will be visited and the Oriki of the family documented. We can go on and on to do this for generation to come. Oriki Yoruba must not die. Never say it won't work, it will definitely work out. This Oriki documentation will come in book form and all schools offering Yoruba Language will make the book an essential. Let us preserve Oriki Yoruba. Who wants to take up the project? Over to you Yoruba Sons and Daughter. You can mail the write for an idea or thought on this write-up. Mail: blenderh@yahoo.com. Phone: 09072639996. Thanks.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 'dying' Yoruba PANEGYRIC (Oriki), An Idea For Its Preservation. by austine4real(m): 9:19pm On Apr 01, 2017
when some of our ppl who are outside the country don't want ppl to know they are yorubas
Re: The 'dying' Yoruba PANEGYRIC (Oriki), An Idea For Its Preservation. by Olu317(m): 9:51pm On Apr 01, 2017
A wonderful personality like yours who sees the future of unborn children's who will desire to identify with their lineage wherever their families settle down outside their country make this project of yours important. Your knowledge shall turn wisdom and wisdom shall develop to understanding. I support your idea. God bless you
Re: The 'dying' Yoruba PANEGYRIC (Oriki), An Idea For Its Preservation. by mascotblaze(m): 11:33pm On Apr 02, 2017
[quote author=austine4real post=55173839]when some of our ppl who outside the country don't want ppl to know they are yorubas [/quo
Re: The 'dying' Yoruba PANEGYRIC (Oriki), An Idea For Its Preservation. by OPCNAIRALAND: 11:34pm On Apr 02, 2017
OP,
I support your initiative!
Re: The 'dying' Yoruba PANEGYRIC (Oriki), An Idea For Its Preservation. by mascotblaze(m): 11:36pm On Apr 02, 2017
Just on point. where is your location
Re: The 'dying' Yoruba PANEGYRIC (Oriki), An Idea For Its Preservation. by YonkijiSappo: 12:04am On Apr 03, 2017
I will link up with you.
You should create a whatsapp group for that sole purpose too, if possible.
Re: The 'dying' Yoruba PANEGYRIC (Oriki), An Idea For Its Preservation. by thegraace: 8:42am On Apr 03, 2017
I stay in Ibadan, Apata Area. Thanks

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

IGBO What Does This Name Mean / The Fate Of Twins In Pre-colonial Igbo Nigeria / Oguta Igbos Are One Of The Lukumi Igbo Aborigines Of Ile Ife- Igbodefender.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.