Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,790 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. (1319 Views)

Read Why & How My Car Almost Got Seized By Customs Because Of These Car Sellers / Custom Duty Verification : Important Notice.. / Within 48 Hours, 43 Nigerians Win Bids For Vehicles Seized By Customs – Official (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by saintjoel(m): 10:20pm On Apr 01, 2017
We’re going ahead with imported vehicles’ duties, says Customs boss Ali

•Insists verification is in everybody’s interest

The Customs will proceed with its planned verification of payment of duties on imported vehicles at the appropriate time, according to the Comptroller General of Customs,Colonel Hameed Ali (rtd).

The policy, which is currently on hold following the widespread outcry on account of its retroactive nature, allows Customs personnel to stop and impound any vehicle imported into the country over the last seven years for which no import duty has been paid.

The Senate, which is locked in a showdown with Ali over his refusal to appear before it in Customs uniform, passed a resolution asking the organization to stop the vehicle duty verification policy.

Ali said in an interview in Abuja that the policy is not all about the revenue it will generate for government,but also for security reasons.

”We want to ensure that we capture virtually all vehicles and tie vehicles to ownership because of the criminal nature of things happening in this country.

“Somebody can pick your car and go and commit armed robbery or another offence because we do not have the data, we cannot trace the car to the owner. But if every car is tied to the owner, it would make crime detection easier.

“I can tell you today that there are cars on our streets that have not been registered and there are people with different number plates in their houses. They just attach the number plate on any car they decide to drive and zoom off. This is simply not right.

“For those of us who have lived in the United States of America, your plate number is your identity. Once they compute your plate number, everything about you will be reflected there. That is the position we want to be in this country.

“We are consulting and we want to get to that level. We just create the level that capturing the data will be easier for us. The issue of verification is necessary because of the security situation in the country.

“Also, there is the revenue aspect. You will not deny that we need all the legal money that we need in this country today. It is going to be tasking on us all, but the payment of dues in some country is necessary. We need to understand that some countries survive on tax. It is only in Nigeria that we shy away from paying our dues and people question why they should pay,”Ali said.

Ali explained that in enforcing the policy, “the Customs will not be as hard as people think.”

This is the latest from the Nigerian Customs. The O.P can state categorically that there has been series of meetings between ANLCA (ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIAN LICENSED CUSTOMS AGENTS), NCS AND THE PRESIDENCY, borders may be reopened from all indications but we don't know how long they'll stay opened.

Seme border is the only border that's likely to be opened, it may be for six months. There's also a plan to open a D. T. I (DIRECT TRADER'S INPUT CAFE) inside Rep. Of Benin by the Nigerian government. It is in a bid to put a stop to smuggling and fake agents parading themselves up and down. Once your vehicle gets to Cotonou or you purchase your vehicle, Benin customs will capture it's data and send directly to Nigerian Customs,all your licensed agent needs to do is go to the DTI at the Nigerian end,identify himself/herself and print your details for further processing.

While we await further developments, it's better you verify your duty papers to know where you stand. Jelad ventures will also continue to operate from TINCAN AND FEDERAL OPERATIONS UNIT, IKEJA till get further directives from customs.

Thanks.

Gbenga (saintjoel)

Jelad ventures.

Re: Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by nurey(m): 5:27am On Apr 02, 2017
saintjoel:
We’re going ahead with imported vehicles’ duties, says Customs boss Ali

•Insists verification is in everybody’s interest

The Customs will proceed with its planned verification of payment of duties on imported vehicles at the appropriate time, according to the Comptroller General of Customs,Colonel Hameed Ali (rtd).

The policy, which is currently on hold following the widespread outcry on account of its retroactive nature, allows Customs personnel to stop and impound any vehicle imported into the country over the last seven years for which no import duty has been paid.

The Senate, which is locked in a showdown with Ali over his refusal to appear before it in Customs uniform, passed a resolution asking the organization to stop the vehicle duty verification policy.

Ali said in an interview in Abuja that the policy is not all about the revenue it will generate for government,but also for security reasons.

liar liar pants on fire, the sole purpose is to generate money from negligence of the customs, putting the cart before the horse. work on clamping down on smugglers, increase boarder patrol, satellite assisted smuggling route detection (build a small rangers tower with landing pad for hover planes with 5 in service in each boarder taking turns to hover around the boarder routes with infrared camera and co this cant cost more than 20m for each including tower house, staff training and equipments)

”We want to ensure that we capture virtually all vehicles and tie vehicles to ownership because of the criminal nature of things happening in this country.

i dont get this, is it your job to find criminals or you have now turned to IG of police? seems this custom boss doesnt know his duty at all, how does custom duty or C number assist police in crime detection with a system that is not linked together common vin database you dont have you are here spewing rubbish

“Somebody can pick your car and go and commit armed robbery or another offence because we do not have the data, we cannot trace the car to the owner. But if every car is tied to the owner, it would make crime detection easier.

another senseless talk how does this relate to custom database or is it a crime to now import cars into the country? all the cars the police acquired from robbers did they ever use the plate number to find the owner (which is most effective than custom paper) there is no centralize information centre so the data he is talking about is trash. I have not seen where the custom has said they will work together with other security forces for vehicle registration. for that to happen we still have a long way to go.

“I can tell you today that there are cars on our streets that have not been registered and there are people with different number plates in their houses. They just attach the number plate on any car they decide to drive and zoom off. This is simply not right.

yes you are right on this but it is not your job but that of the police, custom is boarder defence while police is for internal defence Mr custom boss face the boarders where niger herdsmen are trooping in, bags of foods stuffs are dancing in and making life hard for our farmers, where were your boys when india garri danced to Nigeria? was it not your boys that allowed a 40feet container filled with weapons enter the country? please go and carry bench and man the boarders first when you are needed for internal security we will let you know.

“For those of us who have lived in the United States of America, your plate number is your identity. Once they compute your plate number, everything about you will be reflected there. That is the position we want to be in this country.
Again this is not your job, this is FRSC job, except you want us to make you the head of both outfit.

“We are consulting and we want to get to that level. We just create the level that capturing the data will be easier for us. The issue of verification is necessary because of the security situation in the country.

Custom duty by pass has only affected government revenue generation all that security is taking it too far if our policemen did their job crime will reduce drastically in nigeria. Its the custom that allows guns and other vices into the country what you need now is not chasing ghosts within but ensuring ghosts from outside dont get in.

“Also, there is the revenue aspect. You will not deny that we need all the legal money that we need in this country today. It is going to be tasking on us all, but the payment of dues in some country is necessary. We need to understand that some countries survive on tax. It is only in Nigeria that we shy away from paying our dues and people question why they should pay,”Ali said.

now you are talking, its the revenue gan gan that is peppering you. Its not a crime though, customs job is to ensure goods produced in other countries coming in are taxed, i accept this one nah your job true true

Ali explained that in enforcing the policy, “the Customs will not be as hard as people think.”
the guidelines for enforcing is a criminal act. The custom wants to put its inefficient burden on the citizens without fixing its own house first. you want to charge a car that has been used for years at same price with something just coming in, well am not surprised, when you carry a military man to go do the job he has no experience of, nah to do am like he was trained (gra gra) without due process.

The custom boss is just spewing trash and he is a thief period. Which data capture and crime is he talking about? In the developed countries is it custom that chase criminals within the city walls or the data he captured will be used to trace criminals in Nigeria.

He should wakeup and know this is the 21st century people eye don open he should stop this rabarobo talk.

The only thing I expect from him is to reduce our porous border and capture potential smuggling routes. That's all

6 Likes

Re: Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by hiremyminivan: 8:00am On Apr 02, 2017
I know someone who just bought a used BMW 7 Series.

New to him, but used.

Bought brand new in Nigeria in 2007.

He travelled to the East with it, on his way back Customs seized the vehicle on the grounds that it has no custom duty.

So beware, this seems to be at variance with what is being spoken of above.

Why didn't they let him go but ensure that if he doesn't sort out the issue before the next vehicle documentation renewal date, the vehicle would be impounded.

Truth is this, some decisions of government and government officials indicate that they don't really care about the hardships the common man faces.

I remember seeing a post that the problem with this policy is that someday you will be driving with your family in a minivan, customs will stop you, ask your papers, and finding non or finding that the policy was underpaid, seize the vehicle causing you and your family extreme embarrasment.

They should tell us why they cannot get the vehicle details and the details of the owner and give him 30 to 60 days to sort the matter out or at the next vehicle renewal date. Why they have adopted the impound approach.

I have had a nasty encounter with customs before when I decided to import goods in a hurry via one of the major courier companies, that is when I got to appreciate that - it is all about the money with customs.

Forget about any pretensions to the contrary.

It is all about the money, It is all about the money. It is all about the money.

To make matters worse, those guys are armed.

To become rich overnight on other people's sweat is a very common occurence in that branch of the government.

Can you imagine how many vehicles that have been impounded later ended up on the driveways of one or the other of their employees?

The tales are uncountable and sordid

3 Likes

Re: Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by saintjoel(m): 5:10pm On Apr 02, 2017
nurey:

The custom boss is just spewing trash and he is a thief period. Which data capture and crime is he talking about? In the developed countries is it custom that chase criminals within the city walls or the data he captured will be used to trace criminals in Nigeria.

He should wakeup and know this is the 21st century people eye don open he should stop this rabarobo talk.

The only thing I expect from him is to reduce our porous border and capture potential smuggling routes. That's all

Hello sir, I think the CG has made sense with idea of "documentation to prevent crime" and I think I once trashed out the issue on a similar thread on Nairaland.

Federal ministry of finance in conjunction with the FRSC, VIO,NIGERIAN POLICE AND CUSTOMS SERVICE are currently pushing for a central database like it's obtainable in most countries and it's been worked on now and should be operational by May/June,the Nigerian Customs database is going to be used but that can't be done if all vehicles aren't documented .

Do you know that vehicles are stolen in Nigeria and driven down to neighboring countries,even countries like cote d'voire and the only way to prevent this is a central database. If a vehicle is stolen and it's entry is stored in databases of security organisations, cross border banditry can be stopped. Customs were part of a task force that recovered official vehicles of MOSHOOD Abiola polythecnic in Ivory Coast after they were stolen in Nigeria. They presented proof that the vehicles were originally shipped into Nigeria and police also showed proof of registration in Nigeria before the vehicles were released, what would've happened if the vehicles were smuggled. A central database is the main plug to leakages at the border and port, even a DTI cafe is about to be built in Benin Republic so that data can be sent directly by their customs over there to our customs in Nigeria. Most of these will even stop fake agents from plying their trade and also give importers rest of mind.

I'm not trying to hold brief for Customs and I'll never do that but I can tell you that Nigerians are sometimes the cause of the issues that affect them. Do you know that with the level of information at their disposal, some people still purchase vehicles without running checks on the duty paper just because they think they've gotten a good bargain but they don't know that sometimes "cheap" at times might become expensive when you start using the car.

How can you purchase a vehicle without duty papers and you feel comfortable driving it.
Re: Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by nurey(m): 6:31pm On Apr 02, 2017
saintjoel:

Hello sir, I think the CG has made sense with idea of "documentation to prevent crime" and I think I once trashed out the issue on a similar thread on Nairaland.

Federal ministry of finance in conjunction with the FRSC, VIO,NIGERIAN POLICE AND CUSTOMS SERVICE are currently pushing for a central database like it's obtainable in most countries and it's been worked on now and should be operational by May/June,the Nigerian Customs database is going to be used but that can't be done if all vehicles aren't documented .

Do you know that vehicles are stolen in Nigeria and driven down to neighboring countries,even countries like cote d'voire and the only way to prevent this is a central database. If a vehicle is stolen and it's entry is stored in databases of security organisations, cross border banditry can be stopped. Customs were part of a task force that recovered official vehicles of MOSHOOD Abiola polythecnic in Ivory Coast after they were stolen in Nigeria. They presented proof that the vehicles were originally shipped into Nigeria and police also showed proof of registration in Nigeria before the vehicles were released, what would've happened if the vehicles were smuggled. A central database is the main plug to leakages at the border and port, even a DTI cafe is about to be built in Benin Republic so that data can be sent directly by their customs over there to our customs in Nigeria. Most of these will even stop fake agents from plying their trade and also give importers rest of mind.

I'm not trying to hold brief for Customs and I'll never do that but I can tell you that Nigerians are sometimes the cause of the issues that affect them. Do you know that with the level of information at their disposal, some people still purchase vehicles without running checks on the duty paper just because they think they've gotten a good bargain but they don't know that sometimes "cheap" at times might become expensive when you start using the car.

How can you purchase a vehicle without duty papers and you feel comfortable driving it.

He can go ahead with whatever he planned to do, I wish them Goodluck off course but if you build a house without proper foundation, the wind will destroy it.

I am hoping they put better structures in place first so they don't waste money, man hours and get the wrath of the masses.

1 Like

Re: Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by diportivo: 6:35pm On Apr 02, 2017
Everywhere, we av been asked to drop biometrics

Passport office

Bvn

Drivers license

Tinted glass permit

National ID card

Sim card reg(mtn dey even mad for that one angry)

Voter's card

Non has been integrated into each other,and somehow na customs go make the whole thing set

That's how FRSC said the new number plates is mainly for security reasons,and here we are still going in circles

He who wants to be fooled should kindly get fooled alone....make dem no just carry foolery come my side

I dey vex sef

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by nurey(m): 7:24pm On Apr 02, 2017
diportivo:

Passport office

Bvn

Drivers license

Tinted glass permit

National ID card

Voter's card

Non has been integrated into each other,and somehow na customs go make the whole thing set

That's how FRSC said the new number plates is mainly for security reasons,and here we are still going in circles

He who wants to be fooled should kindly get fooled alone....make dem no just carry foolery come my side

I dey vex sef

You can imagine. I went to NIMC office at keffi falomo for the whole national identity thing. Their head office oooo. Lo and behold the website came out to verify if your card is ready and the website says my NIN number is invalid grin I was just laughing.
Re: Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by saintjoel(m): 9:06am On Apr 03, 2017
diportivo:

Passport office

Bvn

Drivers license

Tinted glass permit

National ID card

Sim card reg(mtn dey even mad for that one angry)

Voter's card

I dey vex sef

I can assure you as an insider that the plan is already in the pipeline, other agencies were frustrating the plan before due to some inter-agency issues but the current Minister of finance is pushing for a strong reform using customs as a focal point. Customs already has a database,all other agencies are been asked to integrate into the system. Even Benin Republic has offered our government a site to build the DTI cafe in their country.

ANLCA and NAGAFF, our associations as licensed agents are seriously pushing for the reforms and synergy too because it'll help agents get more jobs when smuggling has been blocked to the barest minimum and also bring traspenrency to clearing processes.
Re: Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by connkg(m): 11:49am On Apr 03, 2017
@saintjoel
Burst whatever pipeline and integrate the database first! The Federal Government should stop making its citizens pay for its lapses. Cars smuggled across the border do not turn transparent at checkpoints or the Vehicle Registration office. The repeat-and-redo has been forced for international passports, voters' cards, new plate numbers, LASRRA, NIMC, BVN, Tax card and everything in between!
Re: Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by saintjoel(m): 1:36pm On Apr 03, 2017
connkg:
@saintjoel
Burst whatever pipeline and integrate the database first! The Federal Government should stop making its citizens pay for its lapses. Cars smuggled across the border do not turn transparent at checkpoints or the Vehicle Registration office. The repeat-and-redo has been forced for international passports, voters' cards, new plate numbers, LASRRA, NIMC, BVN, Tax card and everything in between!

You can tell that to the government sir. Things seem impossible before they start, when TSA faced issues before it started but it's been used right now.
Re: Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by saintjoel(m): 11:53pm On Apr 19, 2017
We at Jelad ventures will like to dissociate ourselves from a racket going on right now by some fraudulent agents and it involves the "Tincan duty for Cotonou vehicles".

There are just three accredited commands right now that you can pay duty through and they are listed as follows -

1. CUSTOMS COMMAND, HARVEY ROAD,YABA.

2. FEDERAL OPS UNIT, HERBERT MACAULAY WAY, IKEJA.

3. CUSTOMS COMMAND, KWARA.

Some gullible Nigerians are currently falling for the cheap scam of "TINCAN duty for Cotonou vehicles " and we keep asking how they even think it's feasible when tincan is a port and not a land border. How can you collect documents from your agent without verifying if they're authentic or not and you just put your vehicles on the road. What they're doing is also what is going on at idiroko border, they're swapping chassis/vins of original captured data and they come up with "outside exits" which is more or less like a fake document.

Kindly stop calling to make inquiries about "TINCAN duty for Cotonou cars" . Jelad ventures doesn't partake in illegalities. If you already have one, kindly run checks on the c number and you'll see how you've all fallen for the cheap scam.

Signed

Management
Re: Update On Duty Verification And Closure Of Borders By Customs. by saintjoel(m): 11:06pm On Apr 21, 2017
saintjoel:
We at Jelad ventures will like to dissociate ourselves from a racket going on right now by some fraudulent agents and it involves the "Tincan duty for Cotonou vehicles".

There are just three accredited commands right now that you can pay duty through and they are listed as follows -

1. CUSTOMS COMMAND, HARVEY ROAD,YABA.

2. FEDERAL OPS UNIT, HERBERT MACAULAY WAY, IKEJA.

3. CUSTOMS COMMAND, KWARA.

Some gullible Nigerians are currently falling for the cheap scam of "TINCAN duty for Cotonou vehicles " and we keep asking how they even think it's feasible when tincan is a port and not a land border. How can you collect documents from your agent without verifying if they're authentic or not and you just put your vehicles on the road. What they're doing is also what is going on at idiroko border, they're swapping chassis/vins of original captured data and they come up with "outside exits" which is more or less like a fake document.

Kindly stop calling to make inquiries about "TINCAN duty for Cotonou cars" . Jelad ventures doesn't partake in illegalities. If you already have one, kindly run checks on the c number and you'll see how you've all fallen for the cheap scam.

Signed

Management

When we make promises to deliver, at Jelad ventures, we make sure that our promise tallies with action.

Another customer has been satisfied and a 2010 Benz E350 has crossed the border into Nigeria with original duty papers. The c-number is shown for the doubting Thomases with the owner's permission to prove that we've not been bluffing. The owner even paid N1m instead of using the 60% rebate offered by the Nigerian Customs.

Getting your vehicles and freight into Nigeria through TINCAN AND LAND BORDERS is what we've promised and that's what we will continue to do as long as we still exist.

We wish you a blessed and fun filled weekend ahead.

(1) (Reply)

Help My 98 Camry Vibrate On Engine On D, More On AC On / Pinging/rattling Sound Accord 08 Model / Which Better Toyota Camry Le 2003 Or Toyota Camry Le 2004

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.