Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:58 PM

Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) (59481 Views)

Femi Otedola, His Daughters, DJ Cuppy And Temi In London (Photos) / Femi Otedola Celebrates His Daughter Temi Otedola's 22nd Birthday / Fewa Otedola: Meet Femi Otedola's Autistic & Only Son (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by ebusfav: 9:45am On Apr 03, 2017
To mark the 2017 World Autism Day, Femi Otedola's daughter writes about her autistic brother .
Billionaire Femi Otedola's third child, Temi Otedola, has shared a moving story about her only brother, Fewa, who is autistic. According to Temi who wrote the article on her blog JTO Fashion, she and her siblings found out about their brother’s condition in 2004.

Her's what she wrote;

Autism Awareness day was launched 9 years ago to raise awareness and conversation about the people living with autism around the globe. with this in mind, I have
decided to share my own personal experience with autism.

Before getting to my own personal journey of loving and knowing someone on the autistic spectrum, I think it’s important to first describe what it is to those of you reading who are less familiar. Essentially, autism is a social development disorder which affects the cognitive, communicative and interactive ability of the brain.

People with autism struggle with heightened sensory stimulation and need a lot of attention and support from their parents, teachers and siblings to ensure they can lead the most productive and happy life possible. Raising awareness is not the main goal at this point–understanding is, and even more important–acceptance. So this Autism Awareness Day I ask for all of you, to appreciate, love on, or simply accept those living with autism.

How has autism personally affected my life?
In 2004, my mum called my sisters and me into her bedroom. With the composure only a mother can have, she told us that our baby brother, Fewa, had ‘special needs’. While my sisters asked questions, all I could do was think about what this would mean for me, the already overindulged, youngest of three girls.

Thankfully, my selfishness quickly wore off and Fewa quickly became the centre of our family. The role of an older sister always entails some sort of responsibility. However, the role of an older sister to an autistic sibling is a great deal more work. At first, it seemed like every day with him was a challenge, especially for my mother. I remember seeing my mum helping Fewa with simple tasks like brushing his teeth, helping him to get dressed, or feeding him lunch, with each day ultimately ending in exhaustion. Our family has been so blessed to have help from carers, but no one can deny the resilience my mother has had raising Fewa. It is the thing I most respect about her.

Every day, I see him becoming more independent. Our relationship is becoming less one-sided; I can truly say that we are friends. Fewa doesn’t need anyone’s sympathy. He is the most genuine and caring person I know. This is probably why I have never seen Fewa’s autism as necessarily and totally negative, it is a unique characteristic that adds to the complexity of the person that he is.
I am not naïve or unrealistic. I certainly have some gnawing worries about the future.

Fewa will always need support of some kind. At age sixteen he still requires 24 hour help. I would say that the biggest misconception about autism is that people who have it are socially inept geniuses – Rainman, anyone? Yes, that is true for some autistic people, but there is a reason the official term is “autism spectrum disorder”. It is a spectrum, and it can range from children who are not able to speak at all to children who can go to normal schools.

No matter what I do, I need to build my life with Fewa in mind. My parents won’t be around forever, and his care and well-being will become the responsibility of me and my sisters. It is true that consideration for Fewa will always affect the decisions I make in my life. Despite this, Fewa is by no means a burden. These worries do not reduce the immense love I have for my brother who has brought so much joy and shown me the purest form of love. To quote The Bard, “Love sought is good, but given unsought is better.” It is Fewa’s unconditional love that has shaped me into the woman I am today – a sister, a teacher, a carer and a best friend.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2017/04/heres-what-otedolas-daughter-wrote.html

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by nepapole(m): 10:05am On Apr 03, 2017
Tears in my heyes. cry cry cry

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by Ajewealth123(m): 10:22am On Apr 03, 2017
Someone should pls elaborate on this.
As in, in to in details,
Effects and the rest
Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by sisisioge: 10:44am On Apr 03, 2017
Well done sis...family is everything. May God continue to move Fewa upward.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by Redman36(m): 11:04am On Apr 03, 2017
the rich also cry

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by MrEgbegbe(m): 11:17am On Apr 03, 2017

That guy is not autistic

He's mentally stable

If he's autistic then what is Kemi Olunloyo ??

50 Likes

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by IMASTEX: 11:17am On Apr 03, 2017
Hmm
Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by ObikeNkem: 11:18am On Apr 03, 2017
We Igbos support Michael Otedola. Michael Otedola is greater than all Igbo men both dead and aliv. Otedola is greater than ojukwu
Otedola is greater than chinu achebe
Otedola is greater than nnamdi azikiwe

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by IMASTEX: 11:18am On Apr 03, 2017
Redman36:
the rich also cry
I tell you. Life is a misery

11 Likes

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 11:18am On Apr 03, 2017
when the man use his son do rituals kan cry

the innocent guy is the source of his wealth undecided

truth be told, that man is occultic.....

he has used his son to upgrade

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by ainabrain: 11:18am On Apr 03, 2017
Shit happens !
Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by henrydadon(m): 11:18am On Apr 03, 2017
so is this the one that was used to do ritual money..?

noollywood have ruined me grin grin

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by madridguy(m): 11:18am On Apr 03, 2017
Following....
Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by Nobody: 11:18am On Apr 03, 2017
Now we know you have an autistic brother.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by ednut1(m): 11:18am On Apr 03, 2017
trust pple to say, he use the son do jazz

10 Likes

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by Oladelson(m): 11:18am On Apr 03, 2017
choi
Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by GloriaNinja(f): 11:18am On Apr 03, 2017
If he ain't autistic, he would have been flaunting his dad's money like Davido but I pity him sha.

22 Likes

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by winkmart: 11:19am On Apr 03, 2017
He who has the head does not have the cap

12 Likes

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by MJBOLT: 11:19am On Apr 03, 2017
undecided
Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by Mentcee(m): 11:19am On Apr 03, 2017
Buhari is so so stupid

12 Likes

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by Yinkatolu: 11:19am On Apr 03, 2017
Who get sense make he borrow this guy small?

CROWNWEALTH019:
when the man use his son do rituals kan cry

the innocent guy is the source of his wealth undecided

95 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by iswallker(m): 11:21am On Apr 03, 2017
[s]Every day, I see him becoming more independent. Our relationship is becoming less one-sided; I can truly say that we are friends. Fewa doesn’t need anyone’s sympathy. He is the most genuine and caring person I know. This is probably why I have never seen Fewa’s autism as necessarily and totally negative, it is a unique characteristic that adds to the complexity of the person that he is.
I am not naïve or unrealistic. I certainly have some gnawing worries about the future.[/s]

how can a billionaire's son need anyones sympathy in the first place... undecided

9 Likes

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by yinkslinks(m): 11:21am On Apr 03, 2017
Aniechebe won't like this. Trust IPOD.
ebusfav:
To mark the 2017 World Autism Day, Femi Otedola's daughter writes about her autistic brother .
Billionaire Femi Otedola's third child, Temi Otedola, has shared a moving story about her only brother, Fewa, who is autistic. According to Temi who wrote the article on her blog JTO Fashion, she and her siblings found out about their brother’s condition in 2004.

Her's what she wrote;

Autism Awareness day was launched 9 years ago to raise awareness and conversation about the people living with autism around the globe. with this in mind, I have
decided to share my own personal experience with autism.

Before getting to my own personal journey of loving and knowing someone on the autistic spectrum, I think it’s important to first describe what it is to those of you reading who are less familiar. Essentially, autism is a social development disorder which affects the cognitive, communicative and interactive ability of the brain.

People with autism struggle with heightened sensory stimulation and need a lot of attention and support from their parents, teachers and siblings to ensure they can lead the most productive and happy life possible. Raising awareness is not the main goal at this point–understanding is, and even more important–acceptance. So this Autism Awareness Day I ask for all of you, to appreciate, love on, or simply accept those living with autism.

How has autism personally affected my life?
In 2004, my mum called my sisters and me into her bedroom. With the composure only a mother can have, she told us that our baby brother, Fewa, had ‘special needs’. While my sisters asked questions, all I could do was think about what this would mean for me, the already overindulged, youngest of three girls.

Thankfully, my selfishness quickly wore off and Fewa quickly became the centre of our family. The role of an older sister always entails some sort of responsibility. However, the role of an older sister to an autistic sibling is a great deal more work. At first, it seemed like every day with him was a challenge, especially for my mother. I remember seeing my mum helping Fewa with simple tasks like brushing his teeth, helping him to get dressed, or feeding him lunch, with each day ultimately ending in exhaustion. Our family has been so blessed to have help from carers, but no one can deny the resilience my mother has had raising Fewa. It is the thing I most respect about her.

Every day, I see him becoming more independent. Our relationship is becoming less one-sided; I can truly say that we are friends. Fewa doesn’t need anyone’s sympathy. He is the most genuine and caring person I know. This is probably why I have never seen Fewa’s autism as necessarily and totally negative, it is a unique characteristic that adds to the complexity of the person that he is.
I am not naïve or unrealistic. I certainly have some gnawing worries about the future.

Fewa will always need support of some kind. At age sixteen he still requires 24 hour help. I would say that the biggest misconception about autism is that people who have it are socially inept geniuses – Rainman, anyone? Yes, that is true for some autistic people, but there is a reason the official term is “autism spectrum disorder”. It is a spectrum, and it can range from children who are not able to speak at all to children who can go to normal schools.

No matter what I do, I need to build my life with Fewa in mind. My parents won’t be around forever, and his care and well-being will become the responsibility of me and my sisters. It is true that consideration for Fewa will always affect the decisions I make in my life. Despite this, Fewa is by no means a burden. These worries do not reduce the immense love I have for my brother who has brought so much joy and shown me the purest form of love. To quote The Bard, “Love sought is good, but given unsought is better.” It is Fewa’s unconditional love that has shaped me into the woman I am today – a sister, a teacher, a carer and a best friend.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2017/04/heres-what-otedolas-daughter-wrote.html

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by midehi2(f): 11:21am On Apr 03, 2017
most rich families has such child, ritual things

15 Likes

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by Tenim47(m): 11:21am On Apr 03, 2017
undecided mtcheew

1 Like

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by drinkgarri: 11:21am On Apr 03, 2017
I love DJ cuppy, any hacker in the house, If you can teach me the codes to hack into her panties

3 Likes

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by ekensi01: 11:22am On Apr 03, 2017
The poor and the rich are opposite to each order. The poor have good health but no money while the rich have money but lack some. please take your time to thank God.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 11:22am On Apr 03, 2017
Yinkatolu:
Who get sense make he borrow this guy small?

stated the obvious
Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by yinkslinks(m): 11:22am On Apr 03, 2017
Some babes will be like OMG I don't mind to marry him. Looool

13 Likes

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by brownsug(f): 11:22am On Apr 03, 2017
So handsome and composed, I love him

3 Likes

Re: Temi Otedola Writes About Her Autistic Brother (Photos) by CplusJason: 11:22am On Apr 03, 2017
The lady above me tho. undecided

26 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Trick On How To Open And Verify US UK Paypal Account In Nigeria. / Come With Me To Get A Human Size Mirror At Aluminium Village, Dopemu! / EFCC Investigating Kessington Adebutu ‘Baba Ijebu’ Over Tax Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.