Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,956 members, 7,799,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation (18136 Views)

Pastor Adeboye: Stop Using My Pictures On Souvenirs, I Am Not God / Why Christianity Is Fake (Religion As A Whole) / Why Africans Need To Drop Religion As Quickly As Possible. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by superior1: 12:02pm On Apr 03, 2017
Hypocrisy is asking a Pastor not to employe available legal option to enforce his rights because he is a PASTOR!

7 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by symbianDON(m): 12:03pm On Apr 03, 2017
I stopped reading at the point were the op said the said pastor is first a Nigerian. I personally think it's wrong. every Christian ought to see himself first as a Christian before considering his nationality. yes! the blogger woman went beyond her boundaries by miles but the question is, 'what would Jesus have done if it were Him in the pastor's place?'.....this ought to form the basis upon which a Christian should take decisions in critical matters as this. this is my personal opinion though.

1 Like

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by dongidz: 12:04pm On Apr 03, 2017
Its obvious kemi is depressed frankly speaking.

1 Like

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by EmmaNworie: 12:08pm On Apr 03, 2017
Rapmoney:
Just recently, we have seen countless posts and articles on why Pastor David Ibiyiomie isn't acting like a Christian or why he should stop 'persecuting' the blogger, Kemi Olunloyo, a woman well known for her frequent defamation of people's character (a crime under the law) and her 'garage journalism' all in the quest to be famous.

Firstly, we should see Pastor Ibiyiomie as a bonafide citizen, a Nigerian, before we take a look at his religious background. He is a Nigerian like every other Nigerian who is entitled to protected rights as eshrined in our constitution. It amazes me that many folks talk about fundamental human rights, yet see everything wrong in punishing people found to have defamed the character of others and criticize the victims when they pursue their rights through legitimate means..

Defamation of people's character is against the law, whether we like it or not. Anyone who feels his character has been defamed is free to seek redress in law courts. It is not out of place. We should stop hiding under religious doctrines to support character defamation in Nigeria. Things like this are not condoned in saner climes. When you say or write negative things about people and accuse them of doing something evil, you must have concrete evidence. Character defamation is not and has never been a comedy or joke! Such things can cause damages and crises in the homes or organizations of victims. Now, we talk of forgiveness? Why did Ananias and his wife, Sapphira die when it was said they told a lie? Why weren't they forgiven by God and the apostles as we have been told in the Bible? Irrespective of our different religions, you cannot separate the laws of the land from the citizens. Even Jesus recognized the laws of the state as at then when he paid taxes to the Roman government. In essence, the law should be allowed to take its course irrespective of our religious doctrines.

Most of these folks castigating Pastor Ibiyeomie never cared to caution Kemi Olunloyo when she was busy writing stuffs about people where there was no concrete (even soft) evidence. The hypocritical nature of many Nigerians has come to play again. How many articles did we read cautioning Ms Olunloyo when she was writing what she wrote? Now, we are seeing floods of posts and articles on social media condemning the pastor on his stand. Sincerely speaking, being a Christian does not mean one should not exercise his or her fundamental rights; it does not mean one should condone character defamation. How many of us do ask if Kemi Olunloyo had any evidence to prove her claims as at when she wrote about the pastor. I am not speaking as a religious person; I am speaking as a Nigerian citizen who is much aware that citizens possess fundamental rights which they should enjoy. I don't know Pastor Ibiyiomie personally and I have never been to his church before. I am not one of those who shout "judge not" or see pastors as saints. What I am saying in essence is that Nigerians should stop criticizing the man because he decided to take a stand that would see that his rights are protected by the law. What is the essence of a crime when there is no punishment?

Kemi Olunloyo deliberately defamed a citizen's character. That is the fact; whether it involves a pastor, magician, juju priest or a Bhudda whorshipper is irrelevant here. She should face whatever punishment the law dishes to her. Let it serve as a lesson for others who defame the character of others, especially, on social media, as a thing of joke or to increase popularity.
good post. Kemi deserve that, she defamed the character of IPOB calling the group and their leader 'terrorists' hopeless ppl. But we all know that IPOB is a lawful organization.

1 Like

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by Sketchandcraft(m): 12:10pm On Apr 03, 2017
Kondomatic:
Any church that has schools or anything that it earns money from should pay taxed for that but the Church itself should not be taxed because church money are contributed by people who pay taxes.
but Jesus never condemned the paying of tax by church to govt.

If you preach forgiveness of sin you need to act like one.. For one to choose the path of Saint and being a pastor for that matter means he is born again Means he should be prepared for persecution and things like this and worst ...
Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by amaifehenry(m): 12:10pm On Apr 03, 2017
Rapmoney:
Sincerely speaking, my brother, you have said the truth.
I stand with u bro. No mind these hypocrites. Its really painful when someone starts to lie against u. Even the strongest of men cry sef. I believe the pastor is right. You can't be stupidly writing defamatory articles against people. Don't misjudge it with freedom of speech

4 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by AntiWailer: 12:11pm On Apr 03, 2017
Rapmoney:
This does not have anything to do with tax. That churches do not pay tax doesn't have anything to do with people's fundamental rights. The victim is a Nigerian citizen and the rights enshrined in the constitution are suppose to cover him. He is not a Vietnamese for crying out loud!

The victim is a special citizen.

He enjoys privileges based on his faith.

He should act what is in the faith.

Or we withdraw every privilege so we can treat them same way.
Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by SalamRushdie: 12:11pm On Apr 03, 2017
AntiWailer:
Then safe to say Churches and Pastors should start paying tax.

You can not enjoy privileges under religion and when it comes to acting what you preach we say it is two consenting adults sleeping with one another or fighting.

Case closed . If this pastor Ibieime thinks he will enjoy the same support we gave Apostle Suleman then he is on a long thing
Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by Bants(m): 12:13pm On Apr 03, 2017
Pastors can never live the same way Jesus lived..is impossible but I notice that Nigerians tend to compare pastors to Jesus which is dead wrong...If you slapped your pastor on his right cheek trust me we will likely slap you back...Bible is a guide to our christains to live doesnt mean that we cant mess up...Kemi needs to be fixed up same as Sowore...right now anybody can create and chat rubbish in naija without verification which is wrong

4 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by Nobody: 12:13pm On Apr 03, 2017
WriteBoy:
Rapmoney should take a seat please.

We all know that Kemi's tongue runs unbidden like a flash flood. We know she has written many nasty things about different people in the society. She has commited an offence that no doubt she should pay for.

Now, what are we against?

We are against the use of influence and the judicial system to humiliate a fellow citizen.

Has she been convicted of said offence? NO!

Should she appear in court in a convicted person's garb? NO!

Is pastor David Christlike with all the venom that he has pursued this case with? Hell NO!

Religious leaders in this country are a curious set of fellows -- they are all about do what I say and not what I do.

I still do not understand why this is not a simple civil case.

The OPs write up makes me sad to be a Nigerian.

He writes fluently but he's no better than those that support jungle justice. Because frankly this is what this is.

1 Like

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by SalamRushdie: 12:15pm On Apr 03, 2017
Rapmoney:
This does not have anything to do with tax. That churches do not pay tax doesn't have anything to do with people's fundamental rights. The victim is a Nigerian citizen and the rights enshrined in the constitution are suppose to cover him. He is not a Vietnamese for crying out loud!

Then he should just sue her to court for defamation why is spending so much money to make sure her rights of freedom of movt ate breached ..Do you know how much Ur pastor would have spent to be able to move her from Ibadan to Portharcourt and how much will be spent to make sure she was sent to prison custody for a case not worth it ...That pastor acted poorly I must say
Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by signz: 12:15pm On Apr 03, 2017
It seems her family have ignored her.

I simply pray the court to sentence her to a Psychiatric hospital.

She really needs help.

2 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by Sketchandcraft(m): 12:16pm On Apr 03, 2017
alBHAGDADI:
@rapmoney
Mathew 5:44

But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Pastor Ibiyeomie calls Christ his Lord but failed to do what Jesus said he should do.

Luke 6:46

And why call me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
most churches are biz centers and most pastors are fake if not that we are poverty ridden country all this pastors should have been beggars.
I believe if Govt mandate them to pay tax they will start fixing amount to pay for offerings and will be rejecting some titthes and offering in some cases...
Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by legba1(m): 12:18pm On Apr 03, 2017
ekems2017:
Oh the celebrities are resting now that Kemi is in prison.

You are very correct. If not locked up like this she for don write several nasty stories again.

And for those castigating the pastor, pls allow kemi suffer her fate. May be she will learn to do things right when she eventually come out of it.
Being a pastor should not rob you of your right to seeking redress.... Even in a law court.

2 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by tejpot(m): 12:21pm On Apr 03, 2017
babablogger:
Op we know she defamed his character but we believe he being a pastor he should overlook it
Since he didn't he should be called a fake Man of God
Cause as a man of God you should learn to forgive no matter the atrocities committed against you but no he is a yahoo yahoo pastor only interested in the tithes of his followers

Wouldn't it be better to try to win her soul instead of try to condemn her to jail
Sorry o but anybodybwey dey go this man church ehn well make i shut up
The best way to win her soul is to allow the law to take its cause. When Paul's soul was about to be won, he was first blinded. Different strokes for different folks.

3 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by chloedogie(m): 12:22pm On Apr 03, 2017
Sketchandcraft:
but Jesus never condemned the paying of tax by church to govt.

If you preach forgiveness of sin you need to act like one.. For one to choose the path of Saint and being a pastor for that matter means he is born again Means he should be prepared for persecution and things like this and worst ...

Excuse me, Jesus paid tax as an individual not for a church. He never ran a church he only had followers without any shade you can point to as their abode or building. Get your facts right. Most of these pastors pay taxes as individuals. I am 100% sure of my own pastor and makes sure all the staff working under the ministry's taxes are properly remitted. I am 100% sure of what I'm telling you. Jesus instructed Peter to go and pay His own tax and theirs.

3 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 03, 2017
Whatever she gets... she should just take it.

2 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by tejpot(m): 12:23pm On Apr 03, 2017
Ayantoyeopeyem:
We all, at d initial stage agreed to her arrest.
We all said she must be purnished for publishing what she's nt sure of.
What ppl r sayin nw is for d Pastor to show mercy. YES, MERCY!
What an ordinary man can do, a Pastor is nt allowed 2 do so as they are suppose 2 b a gd example, as dia fflowers r lookin up to them.
Remember what happen wen JESUS disciples got angry on earing their master is abt 2 b arrested?
Our Lord still showed mercy 2 d guy his ear was cut off.
Christians a bound 2 FORGIVE at all tym.
REVENGE IS FOR THE LORD!

Show mercy, is he God? That can only apply to the Judge handling the case.

3 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by Rapmoney(m): 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2017
illegalGangla:
Weti this opolo sorry op dey talk......a servant should do like His master...pastors should behave like Jesus...he was called a liar,prince of demons and so many names yet he didn't even say a word to defend himself.

Ibiyeomie na big maluu.
He is a liar
And God wet dey expose go expose am.....
Look him babas them which of then sue...?

If you no know wet in to talk op go dey watch African magic
A good example of a typical hypocrite! It is people like u that preach forgiveness on social media but u are not in talking terms with most people around u.

5 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by manu1: 12:25pm On Apr 03, 2017
This nutcase by name Kemi Olunloyo has been hiding under excuse of blogger to defame people and manufacture all sort of falsehood against people so they should keep her locked up and even flog her everyday because she has gone too far and believing that nothing can happen to her. Good for her. I thought she claim her dad is a governor. Oya now. She is still rotting away in jail. From there next stop is psychiatric hospital.

7 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by Rapmoney(m): 12:26pm On Apr 03, 2017
chloedogie:

Excuse me, Jesus paid tax as an individual not for a church. He never ran a church he only had followers without any shade you can point to as their abode or building. Get your facts right. Most of these pastors pay taxes as individuals. I am 100% sure of my own pastor and makes sure all the staff working under the ministry's taxes are properly remitted. I am 100% sure of what I'm telling you. Jesus instructed Peter to go and pay His own tax and theirs.
Nice one cool
Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by onyii255(m): 12:27pm On Apr 03, 2017
Am here to read comments..
Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by Codes151(m): 12:27pm On Apr 03, 2017
Keep quiet!!!

Fake journalists

1 Like

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by Sketchandcraft(m): 12:31pm On Apr 03, 2017
chloedogie:

what am telling you is that churches has been commercialize and need to be taxed.. The more churches we have the more problem we are creating.... I propose that all churches must either have an industry or all churches must be converted to industries while Sunday's are reserved for members and workers to be worshiping inside the premises by doing this we won't have problems with unemployment and all our pastors will be running on part time and won't be depending on offerings and tithes to survive.
Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by tejpot(m): 12:31pm On Apr 03, 2017
symbianDON:
I stopped reading at the point were the op said the said pastor is first a Nigerian. I personally think it's wrong. every Christian ought to see himself first as a Christian before considering his nationality. yes! the blogger woman went beyond her boundaries by miles but the question is, 'what would Jesus have done if it were Him in the pastor's place?'.....this ought to form the basis upon which a Christian should take decisions in critical matters as this. this is my personal opinion though.
He would have chosen to allow blood of goats and pigeons to continue to atone for our sins.He would have allowed satan and its agents to continue to oppress human nature because of forgiveness. See why Jesus chose to make a one-time sacrifice so that such wouldn't replay itself. The pastor simply made a one time sacrifice that will ensure Olunloyo wont do it for other people both inside and outside of the Christedom.

6 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by felixomor: 12:31pm On Apr 03, 2017
Kondomatic:
Any church that has schools or anything that it earns money from should pay taxed for that but the Church itself should not be taxed because church money are contributed by people who pay taxes.

Thank u for educating that ignoramus

3 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by suremanpatriot: 12:32pm On Apr 03, 2017
...see as she be sef...Though she is not normal she should be in psychiatric ward.

Aethist lik this demon possessed woman should mind her mundane beliefs and stop maligning Men of God or keep sufferin d consequences of blasphemy.
Though she is not normal she should be in psychiatric ward

3 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by felixomor: 12:35pm On Apr 03, 2017
AntiWailer:

The victim is a special citizen.

He enjoys privileges based on his faith.

He should act what is in the faith.

Or we withdraw every privilege so we can treat them same way.

Please withdraw your so called "privilege"
He doesn't need it.

I wonder how this stupid talk justifies character defamation.
Mscheww

4 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by tejpot(m): 12:35pm On Apr 03, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I still do not understand why this is not a simple civil case.

The OPs write up makes me sad to be a Nigerian.

He writes fluently but he's no better than those that support jungle justice. Because frankly this is what this is.
Jungle just.. what? Was tire placed around her neck? Was she burnt alive? Was she lynched? If the answer is yes, then I believe you.

2 Likes

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by fmarshal(m): 12:37pm On Apr 03, 2017
AntiWailer:
Then safe to say Churches and Pastors should start paying tax.

You can not enjoy privileges under religion and when it comes to acting what you preach we say it is two consenting adults sleeping with one another or fighting.

The law also says non profit organizations and religious bodies shouldn't pay smiley

1 Like

Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by AntiWailer: 12:37pm On Apr 03, 2017
felixomor:

Please withdraw your so called "privilege"
He doesn't need it.

I wonder how this stupid talk justifies character defamation.
Mscheww

Then we are on the same page. He should pay tax too.

Then we know it is a case between 2 citizens

Not a Pastor and a blogger.
Re: Kemi Olunloyo: We Should Stop Using Religion As Excuse For Character Defamation by AntiWailer: 12:38pm On Apr 03, 2017
fmarshal:

The law also says non profit organizations and religious bodies shouldn't pay smiley

The law is confused.

Plenty of the churches makes profit.

Pastors invest the money wisely and make money.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nicholas Chukwuemeka Tagbo Burial Ceremony In Onitsha (Photos) / Dr. Sign Fireman Becomes United Nations Peace Ambassador / Deeper Life Has Never Changed Their Doctrines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.