Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics (22956 Views)

"How Can One Witness To A Jehovah's Witness?" / Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? / Roman Catholics Requests Pope Francis Refer To Mary As Co-redemptrix With Jesus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:48am On Apr 11, 2018
9inches:

Can you point out the lie in the sentence or from the verse I mentioned?

You said "Go to the Church" and I say: "What Church?"
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by 9inches(m): 2:51pm On Apr 11, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

You said "Go to the Church" and I say: "What Church?"

Here. How could you miss it?
9inches:
the Church that stands firm and holds fast to the teachings the Apostles passed on to her, whether by word of mouth or by Scripture (2 Thess 2:15).
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:29pm On Apr 11, 2018
9inches:

Here. How could you miss it?

Do you believe in Apostolic succession? undecided
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by 9inches(m): 1:53pm On Apr 12, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Do you believe in Apostolic succession? undecided
I do. Do you?
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:20pm On Apr 12, 2018
9inches:

I do. Do you?

I don't. I believe the Holy Bible. cool

1 Like

Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 8:20pm On Apr 12, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Holy Bible that dropped on your table all the way from the sky?
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53am On Apr 13, 2018
jnrbayano:

Holy Bible that dropped on your table all the way from the sky?

Yeah, read it. cool

1 Like

Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by 9inches(m): 11:55am On Apr 13, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

I believe in both the Apostolic succession and the holy bible.

Do you believe in the Church as the pillar and foundation of truth?
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:20pm On Apr 13, 2018
9inches:

I believe in both the Apostolic succession and the holy bible.

Do you believe in the Church as the pillar and foundation of truth?

It's either you believe in the Apostolic succession or you believe in the Bible. You cannot find apostolic succession in the Bible.

1 Like

Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by 9inches(m): 1:10pm On Apr 13, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

It's either you believe in the Apostolic succession or you believe in the Bible. You cannot find apostolic succession in the Bible.
1. What do you understand by Apostolic succession and how does it contradict the bible?

2. Explain to me how you could have gotten the bible without the Apostolic succession.

3. Do you believe in the Church as the pillar and foundation of truth?
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:43pm On Apr 13, 2018
9inches:

1. What do you understand by Apostolic succession and how does it contradict the bible?

2. Explain to me how you could have gotten the bible without the Apostolic succession.

Apostle John was the last apostle who God used to pen down the Scriptures and that ended the Canon. Any other apostle(s) claiming to have continued to pen down God breathed words is another christ, false apostle or a false prophet.

As for the answer to point number 3, sit back and read the truth as depicted in the 'cartoons' posted

https://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0047/0047_01.asp

1 Like

Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by 9inches(m): 4:35pm On Apr 13, 2018
OLAADEGBU:
Apostle John was the last apostle who God used to pen down the Scriptures and that ended the Canon. Any other apostle(s) claiming to have continued to pen down God breathed words is another christ, false apostle or a false prophet.

As for the answer to point number 3, sit back and read the truth as depicted in the 'cartoons' posted

You are using deflecting tactics.

First answer is a straw man, obviously. The question was a simple one, define apostolic succession. The second question on how you got the bible without apostolic succession; the author of the canonized scriptures is not being argued at all; another straw man you created there.

Lastly, number 3 is a Yes or No question.

Do you want to answer my questions directly or not?
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:31pm On Apr 17, 2018
9inches:

You are using deflecting tactics.

First answer is a straw man, obviously. The question was a simple one, define apostolic succession. The second question on how you got the bible without apostolic succession; the author of the canonized scriptures is not being argued at all; another straw man you created there.

Lastly, number 3 is a Yes or No question.

Do you want to answer my questions directly or not?

Get your answers in the depictions below. cool

1 Like

Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by 9inches(m): 4:44am On Apr 18, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Get your answers in the depictions below. cool

The depictions did not answer the questions at all. Why not attempt on your own to answer it? You scared or you don't have the answer?
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:03am On Apr 18, 2018
9inches:

The depictions did not answer the questions at all. Why not attempt on your own to answer it? You scared or you don't have the answer?

I believe that I have answered your questions. Continue reading the truth depicted in the cartoons for enlightenment.

Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by 9inches(m): 1:03am On Apr 19, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

I believe that I have answered your questions. Continue reading the truth depicted in the cartoons for enlightenment.

Because you "believe" does not make your belief true. There's nothing in your cartoons that says anything about apostolic succession (a term you first of all threw at me, but now you're afraid and dodging it). Your cartoon also says nothing about 1 Timothy 3:15 which was my third question awaiting your answers. Honestly answer my questions, or you can blatantly decline.

1 Like

Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by Octaves(m): 1:42am On Apr 19, 2018
doyinbaby:
It takes the grace of God for a catholic to give his life to Christ ,.....those Catholics and their church doctrines and traditions hen.....
.with God all things are possible
you mean Catholics gave their lives to Satan before. you really need Christ in your life.
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by Octaves(m): 1:52am On Apr 19, 2018
plappville:
OP grin cheesy

Its true that Catholics have Christ already. The issue of so much Man tradition in the church is a big problem.

But only God can help some of the members to see the truth and not practice all of Catholic doctrines.

The Image worshiping and child baptism are the worst practice of Catholicism. I can go in and worship there but never will i bow to the so called Jesus image or say "Holy Mary mother of God." Or even confess my sins to a man (priest). One good thing is that. They know and Love Christ. But they hold on to too much traditions like the pharisees.
We don't worship images whether you believe it or not. we venerate them. child baptism is done to prepare the child for salvation. unless you are born again with water and spirit ( baptism), you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. We want our children ready for the kingdom. my sister, as much as you are indoctrinated against the Catholic church, the church's teachings and doctrines are faultless. They are built on the teachings and traditions of the apostles and early Christians. Most of the new generation churches are still evolving in their teachings. they keep adopting catholic teachings gradually over the years. when I was a kid, most Pentecostal churches didn't eat communion. now guess what. some even have their scapula with their pastor's face and even print bulletin. you don't know what you don't know
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by Octaves(m): 2:01am On Apr 19, 2018
analice107:

You are correct my dear. i was there so i know. They are the hardest to reach. Pagans, i mean idol worshippers in shrines (Although they are too) are easier to reach than Catholics.
you can't reach a Catholic who knows why he's a Catholic. because they know you are getting it wrong. its insulting to compare Catholics with idol worshippers because we're not the same thing. but extreme indoctrination has distorted your thinking.
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:34pm On Apr 20, 2018
9inches:

Because you "believe" does not make your belief true. There's nothing in your cartoons that says anything about apostolic succession (a term you first of all threw at me, but now you're afraid and dodging it). Your cartoon also says nothing about 1 Timothy 3:15 which was my third question awaiting your answers. Honestly answer my questions, or you can blatantly decline.

When I said that the last Apostle to pen the Scripture was John the beloved I meant He was not succeeded by anyone else and there was no other book penned by any other apostle after him. All the people you call successive apostles are false just as the cartoon depicts it. smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by 9inches(m): 8:09am On Apr 21, 2018
Octaves:
you can't reach a Catholic who knows why he's a Catholic. because they know you are getting it wrong. its insulting to compare Catholics with idol worshippers because we're not the same thing. but extreme indoctrination has distorted your thinking.
The posts you quoted were made in 2017 cheesy
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by 9inches(m): 8:51am On Apr 21, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

When I said that the last Apostle to pen the Scripture was John the beloved I meant He was not succeeded by anyone else and there was no other book penned by any other apostle after him. All the people you call successive apostles are false just as the cartoon depicts it. smiley
I've heard you.

Can you answer my questions now?
9inches:

Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by Gggg102(m): 9:09am On Apr 21, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

you believe the last apostle to pen down scripture was John because the Catholics stopped compiling written works after John.

if another letter of Paul is found tomorrow, would you see it as scripture?
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:34am On Apr 22, 2018
Gggg102:

you believe the last apostle to pen down scripture was John because the Catholics stopped compiling written works after John.

if another letter of Paul is found tomorrow, would you see it as scripture?

Why did your so-called apostles stop penning God's breathed words after the apostle John? I thought you said there were apostles that succeeded him? undecided
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:40am On Apr 22, 2018
9inches:

I've heard you.

Apostolic succession is unbiblical. It is nowhere found in the Scriptures. You can find out what it means in the suggested link below:

https://www.gotquestions.org/apostolic-succession.html
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:44am On Apr 22, 2018
9inches:

I've heard you.

Check the suggested link below for a better understanding of that phrase:

https://www.gotquestions.org/church-pillar-foundation-truth.html
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by Gggg102(m): 5:53am On Apr 22, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Why did your so-called apostles stop penning God's breathed words after the apostle John? I thought you said there were apostles that succeeded him? undecided

the church decided to stop at apostle John.
they only compiled books that were close to home. books that were closer to the beginning of Christianity.

the apostles after John had written works of their own.
did god stop inspiring people after John?

Paul's letters where directed to churches in need of guidance. don't you think other apostles that succeeded the first apostles could have penned letters to newer churches after the first apostles died?
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by 9inches(m): 1:29pm On Apr 23, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Check the suggested link below for a better understanding of that phrase:

https://www.gotquestions.org/church-pillar-foundation-truth.html
So, in 1 Timothy 3:15 Paul is not referring to “the church” as the source of truth or the creator of truth. He’s saying “the church” is what holds up and holds firm the truth in the world. Again, this interpretation fits with Paul’s warnings not to be swayed by carnal philosophies (Colossians 2:cool, false teachers (2 Timothy 4:3), or any person who changes the gospel (Galatians 1:cool. Rather than fall prey to false doctrine, we’re to compare teachers to the Word of God (Acts 17:11; 1 Corinthians 4:6; 2 Timothy 3:16; Romans 15:4).

“The church,” that is, the entire population of Christian believers, bears the earthly responsibility of holding up the truth of the gospel. The ultimate basis of that truth is Christ, not the proclamations or infallibility of members of that body. Paul is calling on believers to care for the structure that “supports” or “props up” our message to the world. First Timothy 3:15 cannot be taken to mean that the church itself is the source or standard for truth.

The author of the article forgot one vital fact - that Christ (the Truth himself) is the head of the Church. This simple but difficult-to-understand-by-protestants fact clearly blows the whole article out of the water.
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:17pm On Apr 23, 2018
Gggg102:

the church decided to stop at apostle John.
they only compiled books that were close to home. books that were closer to the beginning of Christianity.

And you think that they must have forgotten to include the title pope to Apostle Peter. Even though there was no record of him being the pope in Rome? John pronounced a curse on whoever adds or subtracts to the last book of the Bible (Rev. 22:18-19).

Gggg102:

the apostles after John had written works of their own.
did god stop inspiring people after John?

Paul's letters where directed to churches in need of guidance. don't you think other apostles that succeeded the first apostles could have penned letters to newer churches after the first apostles died?

There is a difference between inspired words and God-breathed words. The Apostles who saw the Lord Jesus were the only ones given the authority to write God-breathed words which are infallible, inerrant and prophetic. Other Christians' words may be inspired but they are certainly not God-breathed.
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by Gggg102(m): 3:55pm On Apr 23, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

And you think that they must have forgotten to include the title pope to Apostle Peter. Even though there was no record of him being the pope in Rome? John pronounced a curse on whoever adds or subtracts to the last book of the Bible (Rev. 22:18-19).

There is a difference between inspired words and God-breathed words. The Apostles who saw the Lord Jesus were the only ones given the authority to write God-breathed words which are infallible, inerrant and prophetic. Other Christians' words may be inspired but they are certainly not God-breathed.

office of Pope came as a result of conflict in the early church which was resolved by the Bishop of Rome who was a successor to Peter. it was then agreed by the early church that the Bishop of Rome becomes the first Bishop among bishops. the Bishop of Rome became the leader of the church and became the Pope.

the curse of John is only on revelation. whoever added to or removed from the book of revelations.

what about Mark and Luke?
Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:46pm On Apr 23, 2018
Gggg102:

office of Pope came as a result of conflict in the early church which was resolved by the Bishop of Rome who was a successor to Peter. it was then agreed by the early church that the Bishop of Rome becomes the first Bishop among bishops. the Bishop of Rome became the leader of the church and became the Pope.

the curse of John is only on revelation. whoever added to or removed from the book of revelations.

what about Mark and Luke?

Even though the warning applies specifically to the book of Revelation, its principles apply to the entire God-breathed Scriptures (Genesis to Revelations). See Deuteronomy 4:1-4 and Proverbs 30:5-6

https://www.gotquestions.org/Revelation-22-18-19.html

1 Like

Re: How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:00pm On Apr 23, 2018
9inches:

The author of the article forgot one vital fact - that Christ (the Truth himself) is the head of the Church. This simple but difficult-to-understand-by-protestants fact clearly blows the whole article out of the water.

Did you read the excerpt you quoted at all? This is a sentence in what you selectively quoted from the suggested link: "The ultimate basis of that truth is Christ, not the proclamations or infallibility of members of that body."

Did you see who the author said was the ultimate basis of the truth? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Killings: CAN Peaceful Protest In Kaduna In Pictures / Mike Bamiloye: Many Ladies Move Around With Packaged Beauty / Deeper Life Bible Church: Why Avoid Us?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.