Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? (31496 Views)

Difference Between Busy And Productive / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? / Institute Of Drilling And Petroleum Engineering Course Registration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 11:46am On Apr 03, 2017
HelooNlanders. I’ve been a member of this forum for quite some time now and I must confess its been really informative and entertaining.
I’m having a bit of problem choosing my career prospect and would really love the experienced ones & graduates to help a brother on the matter.

I’m literally a Jambite who wants to study Computer Engineering in the university because someone ones told me that computer engineering course covers both the technical and software aspect of a computer whilst Computer Science deals on only the software part of a computer. I chose engineering because I wanted to use my full potentials and to cover more in the era of technology (I’m pretty good at maths).

But currently I’m hearing different stories bout computer engineering in the Nigeria University that it doesn’t worth it and it’s a waste of time and students are been denied practicals which is not supposed to be so (based on its technicality).
So please our graduates in the house esp those who studied the above mentioned courses or similar stuffs should please assist a young fellow.
Please Moderator forward this to FP as it might as well help those of same or similar problem.

(Intend applying unizik as a first choice)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by ken19: 11:50am On Apr 03, 2017
lalasticlala

pussy cat so chill....I think its refrigerated
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by amiibaby(f): 12:19pm On Apr 03, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Kikikikiki

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by MrGreenMavro: 12:19pm On Apr 03, 2017
cheesy

Computer Engineers are involved with mainly the hardware part of computers

Computer Science is software grin grin

Seun now na Computer Engineer e b, dats y he always dy watch nairaland server room every day like may gauard

lalastica na computer scientist e dy always move trends to front page grin grin

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by oroky1: 12:20pm On Apr 03, 2017
Enough
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by EXLOVER(m): 12:20pm On Apr 03, 2017
Ggv
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Ukoju: 12:21pm On Apr 03, 2017
They are totally two different things
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by vosquare: 12:21pm On Apr 03, 2017
I'll prefer computer engineering and the thing is It's better u learn the engineering aspect outside then go to school for the theoretical aspect...

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by phemmy88(m): 12:22pm On Apr 03, 2017
“Computer Science” is an umbrella term which encompasses four major areas of computing: theory, algorithms, programming languages, and architecture. ...

“Computer Engineering” typically focuses specifically on computer hardware and software. It is an integration of computer science and electrical engineering.

Hi everyone, perhaps you need a Bill of Quantity/Estimate for your construction project.. Kindly contact me via:
freelanceqs01@gmail.com

I'm a Qs with several years of experience

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Bhadmus77(m): 12:22pm On Apr 03, 2017
posters above me if u have an idea why don't u share it for the op rather than this nonsense you are typing just to book space

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by peterswagg(m): 12:23pm On Apr 03, 2017
Well poster.... I think it depends on the school you are going to, however I will advise you to choose computer science because at least you can be able to learn the software aspect online without the help of any lecturer. The truth is in a typical Nigeria federal or state university you hardly see any lecturer that is good in a programming language talk less of teaching it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 03, 2017
Computer science deals with the underlying knowledge of the logical and algorithmic functions of computers while Engineering deals with hardware and architecture of computers.

#ToMyLimitedUnderstanding

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 03, 2017
Whichever course you want to go for, have in mind that 90% of things you'll be doing in the university will be theory. So, you will have to wisen up and undertake the technical or practical aspect during holidays. That way, you become an employable graduate at the end of the day.

Good luck. It's all about vision.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by NotNairalandi(m): 12:23pm On Apr 03, 2017
op my elder brother is a computer scientist while my younger brother is a computer engineer ......the only diff bettween two of them is their bank account balance grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by maxiuc(m): 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2017
Just like soft ware and hardware

Just saying though
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by AntiWailer: 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2017
No difference in Nigerian University.

Apart from extra junks that you will do in engineering. There is practically no difference between the two.

Irrespective of the one you get. You are still home and cool.

Just set your targets from 100 level.

If you want to be a programmer, stick to Science so that you have less distractions.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by sapientia(m): 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2017
lol... means same thing in naija
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by oscaruzie(m): 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2017
ahah? science is 'science' and engineering is 'engine' nah....as in, u no go just know how to explain am ni. one na hardwork, d oda na softwork...

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2017
I will go for Computer Science. I'm not sure computer engineering covers the software, it is only about hardware.
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by ziego(m): 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2017
Am waiting for them engineers and scientist but believe me the next poster is none of them
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by seangy4konji: 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2017
one is Alomo and one is Action bitters.

The poster above me needs Ogidiga.

PS...As it would turn out to be?...I am 1 of the above..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by engrpheleeks(m): 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2017
Both courses are good, but if u are looking for something practical, go with computer engineering. My only advice for you is that, if you must study computer engineering in Nigeria, let it be a polytechnic cos the Nigerian University system has got little or no practical experience to offer you in computer engineering. Kukuma study the science part of it if you must go to a university and save yourself from stories that touch later...

8 Likes

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Jmkventures: 12:25pm On Apr 03, 2017
I'm watching this space
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Apr 03, 2017
Computer engineering-hardware
Computer science-software
But as a Comp engineer you can find it easy to learn software
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Chukwuka16: 12:25pm On Apr 03, 2017
Very good question @OP. However, you have to do your home work thoroughly. Considering the fact that you want to study in Nigeria, the Engineering option is preferred for the obvious reason that it is a professional course and allows you to become a registered engineer which might be useful in the future. Aside that it offers no further significant benefit. For Computer Science however, it is the 'in thing' now. I have an engineering background for my first two degrees but I'm currently doing a doctorate in CS and I can tell you the opportunities are immense. This is due to the increasingly role of big data and machine intelligence/artificial intelligence/data mining etc. in our decision making process. These research areas are offering a very promising future and Nigeria is really a fertile ground for such disciplines. You may thus consider an engineering option but with dedicated and disciplined focus on learning some programming languages like Python, Matlab, R, C/C++ etc. and further building immense capacity in mathematics/statistics especially problem formulation/modelling and toy with some basic AI program and apply them in basic optimisation problems. What I have been saying is this - do well to graduate with good grades in Comp. Engr but build immense capacity in your programming skills but with practical application to everyday issues. Do not forget to update yourself with the trends in CS (data management and AI) by being a registered student member of IEEE to have access to some open access journals. Also trail papers for free from academia.edu to researchgate on AI/machine learning. You need to do a serious research on what you want and make up your mind. Ultimately, never forget to always consult your creator - God to ask for direction. He made you and thus knows what's best for you. You can never be wrong taking His advice. All the best!

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Ontop123(m): 12:26pm On Apr 03, 2017
Computer science is good but Engineering is better. Regarding the practical aspect my brother even the computer science departments in Nigerian universies doesn't have computers for practical. So if you want to maximize your potentials go for Engineering cos it has wider prospects in terms of study and job opportunities. good luck
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by Tenim47(m): 12:26pm On Apr 03, 2017
ayam learning computer cool
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by piperson(m): 12:26pm On Apr 03, 2017
thanks but what's the difference between, computers and electronic devices
Re: Difference Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering Course? by nerilove(m): 12:27pm On Apr 03, 2017
Computer science deals with all aspects of how computer applications work and some software development and Web Applications. Computer engineering deals with the general study of hardware of the system as well as other input devices. That's all I know

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians React To The FRSC Commander Who Cut Female Staff's Hair / How I Got Belittled By My Boss... / Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.