Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,900 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:39 AM

Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman (1635 Views)

FFK Kneels Down For Prayers As CAN Chairman Says He'll Lead Nigeria (Video) / Speechless! See What Borno State Governor, Prof Zulum Wrote / See What Borno Residents Undergo Anytime Boko Haram Strikes (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by aminho(m): 3:00pm On Apr 03, 2017
Bishop Naga Williams Mohammed is Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in Borno State and also Secretary of Northern Bishops Incorporated. The Christian leader, who hails from Gwoza, a place once occupied by Boko Haram as Caliphate, spoke on responses of successive Muslim-dominated government to insurgency, among other issues. Excerpts:

Daily Trust: It is rather surprising to see that your surname is ‘Mohammed’. How did that happen?

In Southern Borno generally, it is common to see a family mixed with both Muslims and Christians. My father was a Muslim and my mother was a dedicated Christian. We were living in the same house, eating the same food and sharing the same culture. When it is Christmas, my mum would give money to my dad to buy whatever animal for us to slaughter. The same thing when it was time for Sallah, he would buy a ram for us to slaughter.

DT: As a Bishop, some persons would probably expect you to have dropped the ‘Mohammed’ in your surname...

Someone cannot replace either of his biological parents. Mohammed is my father’s name, he was a Muslim and I cannot replace or change my father, and I am his son.

DT: You talked about religious harmony in your family. How does that experience compare with instances of intolerance all over Nigeria?

In the past, there was absolute tolerance to the extent that you don’t care what the next man’s faith is. In fact, in my mum’s house, she had a kettle which is called ‘Buta’ in Hausa. Muslims use it in performing ablution. While growing up, I was raised to see Muslims from a positive light. All I knew was that Muslims were doing what they were supposed to do, and we Christians were doing what we were supposed to do in terms of worship and coexistence in our communities.

In Southern Borno where most of the Christians in Borno State hail from, most of our families are comprised of Muslims and Christians. I used to know of a family where the father and his six children were Christians, while his three wives were Muslims. And they lived peacefully.

DT: Christians make up a sizeable part of the population in Borno State, but they still constitute a minority. How have state governments been responding to challenges of insurgency faced by Christians in the state?

If you go back to fairly recent history, our first major problem was in February 2006, when a Danish man whom I learnt was not even a Christian, drew a caricature of Prophet Muhammad. Unfortunately, there was protest here in Maiduguri and Christians received the repercussions. A total of 56 churches were razed down in Borno, and many shops belonging to Christians were destroyed. What struck me most is that there was no compensation from the then government.

Except promises made by then Governor Ali Modu Sheriff. He promised to compensate for all those properties destroyed but to no avail. I was among the Administrative Committee as representative of the Christian community constituted by the then governor. I think only N150,000 was given to each pastor whose entire church was destroyed. At a point, we compiled all the destroyed properties including churches and submitted the report to the state government.

But thank God, in the history of Borno State, there is no governor who has been fair to the Christian community in this State as much as Governor Kashim Shettima. I am saying this in the presence of God Almighty and this is nothing but the truth. I am speaking boldly without fear or favour because as CAN Chairman I do not receive salary or kobo from government or any institution, but the facts need to be told.

For example, when Gwoza people were driven from their ancestral homes, they fled to Maiduguri, and Shettima personally came to CAN Centre in Jerusalem Ward twice. He gave N10 million for their upkeep at first instance, by then the victims were not many. By the end of October 2014, the IDPs from Gwoza increased to 42,000 in that camp alone. He came again and gave another N10 million. He also gave additional N5 million for Christians from Borno who fled to Cameroon to be returned home. He gave another N5 million for non-indigenes who fled to Cameron to come back to Nigeria. He even directed the Borno State Emergency Management Agency to be supplying food directly to the IDPs under the Christian leadership.

DT: Earlier, you said Governor Ali Modu Sheriff didn’t pay any compensation to Christians after the 2006 crisis. Churches and Mosques were destroyed by Boko Haram from 2011 to date under Governor Kashim Shettima. Have any of these churches been rebuilt?

We had a meeting with Governor Shettima on how his administration can come in to assist in rebuilding some of these churches. Last year when he visited Gwoza, Askira-Uba and Chibok Local Government areas for on-the-spot assessment post-destruction. He saw how some of these churches were burnt down to ashes. Some churches were not only razed down, but pulled down completely as if they never existed.

During Shettima’s visit to these areas, he released N100 million for the rebuilding of some of these churches. A committee was set up for that purpose, I am a member of the committee headed by a permanent secretary, Mr. Justus Zare as Chairman, and I am happy to inform you that presently we have used that money to rebuild 11 key churches which our people are now using. I am surprised to hear some people saying why don’t we rebuild all the churches. We cannot do that because there are many places that are still unsafe.

You cannot expect us to go to the Christian communities on the fringes of Sambisa Forest to start rebuilding their destroyed churches.

After the initial N100m, Shettima graciously approved another N105 million for the second phase of rebuilding destroyed churches. This was made possible when CAN officials led by my humble self had a meeting with him on Thursday March 30, 2017 at the Government House. So far, the governor has released N210 million for reconstruction of our burnt churches. He also approved the sponsorship of all our local pastors to participate in the 2017 Jerusalem Pilgrimage.

Shettima’s government has given us the opportunity to run a collective programme on television and radio. We work with the Jama’atul Nasril Islam to sensitize our people on peaceful coexistence. They trust us, we trust them. In fact, it may interest you to know that there was a time I was asked to lead in a Christian prayer at a gathering where we were only three Christians in the midst of many Muslims. This government is bringing harmony between religious leaders through fairness
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by stephleena(f): 3:07pm On Apr 03, 2017
hmmm,I have nothing to say..but to the mod wey ban me,God is watching you.

you speak the truth you die,you don't speak the truth you die....aje Ku iya ni oje....
aje Ku iya ni,oje ,eni ti oo..#singing in Dino's voice and cat-walks away#..nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by profhezekiah: 3:11pm On Apr 03, 2017
People frm the religion of piss never think of tolerance because their pedophilia mohammed never taught them to be mercifull to pple of other religion

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by aminho(m): 3:25pm On Apr 03, 2017
profhezekiah:
People frm the religion of piss never think of tolerance because their pedophilia mohammed never taught them to be mercifull to pple of other religion
you need God in your life mumu you take pride in being ignorant

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by profhezekiah: 3:30pm On Apr 03, 2017
aminho:
you need God in your life mumu you take pride in being ignorant
clap for urself and U av God in urs and abusing, bros continue drinking ablution water it good for ur like

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by Sealeddeal(m): 3:49pm On Apr 03, 2017
All these statements are not to be trusted. Non Muslims in North has stopped expecting peace from Muslims but instead to show them more love. It will be difficult for terrorism to die in Islam.
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by CarlosTheJackal: 4:06pm On Apr 03, 2017
profhezekiah:
you ll be banned for going against islam
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by profhezekiah: 4:08pm On Apr 03, 2017
CarlosTheJackal:
you ll be banned for going against islam
heeeeey U mean for saying the truth, please forgive me, I av forgotten truth never prevail in this country

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by iamtiredoflife: 5:21pm On Apr 03, 2017
I want to sell my Facebook page that has 16,000 likes.
If you're interested, kindly call/text/whatsapp me on 070-6427-2729
Thanks
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by Caricature(f): 7:27am On Apr 04, 2017
aminho:

If you go back to fairly recent history, our first major problem was in February 2006, when a Danish man whom I learnt was not even a Christian, drew a caricature of Prophet Muhammad. Unfortunately, there was protest here in Maiduguri and Christians received the repercussions. A total of 56 churches were razed down in Borno, and many shops belonging to Christians were destroyed. What struck me most is that there was no compensation from the then government.

You are mentioning me.
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by sapientia(m): 7:34am On Apr 04, 2017
Things will never be same again.
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by bubu2019: 8:03am On Apr 04, 2017
iamtiredoflife:
I want to sell my Facebook page that has 16,000 likes.
If you're interested, kindly call/text/whatsapp me on 070-6427-2729
Thanks
agbaya rada rada.odee , onukwu,abeg make una help me with other language
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by 2cato: 8:07am On Apr 04, 2017
stephleena:
hmmm,I have nothing to say..but to the mod wey ban me,God is watching you.

you speak the truth you die,you don't speak the truth you die....aje Ku iya ni oje....
aje Ku iya ni,oje ,eni ti oo..#singing in Dino's voice and cat-walks away#..nonsense.
my other username was banned for 99years
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by 2cato: 8:09am On Apr 04, 2017
Caricature:
You are mentioning me.
you see ur life
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by alBHAGDADI: 8:18am On Apr 04, 2017
Muslims will always tell you that Terrorism is as a result of some unknown men hijacking their religion and using it to create havoc. If you tell them to throng the streets in protest against these terrorists like ISIS and Boko Haram, they won't answer you nor protest against them. But look at how Muslims in Nigeria were quick to cause riot in the streets, burn churches and killed Christians just because a white man drew a cartoon of their prophet Mohammad in faraway Denmark, a European country.

Extremist Islamic Terrorists are Green Snakes while the Moderate Muslims are the Green Grass they hide in.

Cc rilwayne001 friendNG aminusanti Empiree udatso EazyMoh tintingz khalling2008

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by iamtiredoflife: 8:20am On Apr 04, 2017
bubu2019:
agbaya rada rada.odee , onukwu,abeg make una help me with other language

You're a stupid man
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by alBHAGDADI: 8:29am On Apr 04, 2017
For example, when Gwoza people were driven from their ancestral homes, they fled to Maiduguri, and Shettima personally came to CAN Centre in Jerusalem Ward twice. He gave N10 million for their upkeep at first instance, by then the victims were not many. By the end of October 2014, the IDPs from Gwoza increased to 42,000 in that camp alone. He came again and gave another N10 million. He also gave additional N5 million for Christians from Borno who fled to Cameroon to be returned home. He gave another N5 million for non-indigenes who fled to Cameron to come back to Nigeria. He even directed the Borno State Emergency Management Agency to be supplying food directly to the IDPs under the Christian leadership.

According to the words of Allah in the Quran and Mohammad in the Hadith, Governor Shettima has disobeyed Allah and Mohammad by making friends with Christians and helping them cos they are unbelievers.

Quran (5:51) - "O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people."

Sahih Muslim (2167) - "Allah's Messenger said: Do not greet the Jews and the Christians before they greet you and when you meet any one of them on the roads FORCE him to go to the narrowest part of it."

Ibn Kathir v.2 p.213 - No believer shall kill any believer for any non-believer. Nor shall he help any non-believer against a believer

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by bubu2019: 8:33am On Apr 04, 2017
iamtiredoflife:

You're a stupid man
noted
next!!!!.sorry i did no check your so called username.
how can i be joining isues with someone who is tired of life
abeg lagoon is not full yet,just do rhe needfull

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by ollah2: 8:52am On Apr 04, 2017
alBHAGDADI:

According to the words of Allah in the Quran and Mohammad in the Hadith, Governor Shettima has disobeyed Allah and Mohammad by making friends with Christians and helping them cos they are unbelievers.

Quran (5:51) - "O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people."

Sahih Muslim (2167) - "Allah's Messenger said: Do not greet the Jews and the Christians before they greet you and when you meet any one of them on the roads FORCE him to go to the narrowest part of it."

Ibn Kathir v.2 p.213 - No believer shall kill any believer for any non-believer. Nor shall he help any non-believer against a believer

According to the bible

Deuteronomy 13:6

If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; 7Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth; 8Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: 9But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. 10And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

Deuteronomy 13: 13

Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known; 14Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you; 15Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.

Deuteronomy 17:3

And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 4And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel: 5Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

2 Chronicles 15:13

That whosoever would not seek the LORD God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.

You are hate filled. You stink of bigotry. Do you do anything with your life besides being here day and night writing against Obama, Islam, Muslims, Russia?

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by tintingz(m): 9:06am On Apr 04, 2017
alBHAGDADI:
Muslims will always tell you that Terrorism is as a result of some unknown men hijacking their religion and using it to create havoc. If you tell them to throng the streets in protest against these terrorists like ISIS and Boko Haram, they won't answer you nor protest against them. But look at how Muslims in Nigeria were quick to cause riot in the streets, burn churches and killed Christians just because a white man drew a cartoon of their prophet Mohammad in faraway Denmark, a European country.

Extremist Islamic Terrorists are Green Snakes while the Moderate Muslims are the Green Grass they hide in.

Cc rilwayne001 friendNG aminusanti Empiree udatso EazyMoh tintingz khalling2008
Until I use kobokobo on you, you will listen. How many times will I tell you not to mention me on anything concerning terrorism and Islamic traditions. angry

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by alBHAGDADI: 10:24am On Apr 04, 2017
tintingz:
Until I use kobokobo on you, you will listen. How many times will I tell you not to mention me on anything concerning terrorism and Islamic traditions. angry
Muslims and violence
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by omololu2020(m): 11:14am On Apr 04, 2017
tintingz:

grin grin grin
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by aminho(m): 2:31pm On Jul 11, 2017
Freedom of speech is the political right to communicate one's opinions and ideas via speech. The term freedom of expression is
sometimes used
synonymously, but
includes any act of
seeking, receiving
and imparting information or ideas,
regardless of the
medium used. In
practice, the right to
freedom of speech is
not absolute in any country and the right
is commonly subject
to limitations, as with
libel, slander,
obscenity and
incitement to commit a crime. The right to freedom
of expression is
recognized as a
human right under
Article 19 of the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights and
recognized in
international human
rights law in the
International
Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
(ICCPR). Article 19 of
the ICCPR states that
"[e]veryone shall
have the right to hold
opinions without interference" and
"everyone shall have
the right to freedom
of expression; this
right shall include
freedom to seek, receive and impart
information and
ideas of all kinds,
regardless of
frontiers, either
orally, in writing or in print, in the form of
art, or through any
other media of his
choice". Article 19
goes on to say that
the exercise of these rights carries "special
duties and
responsibilities" and
may "therefore be
subject to certain
restrictions" when necessary "[f]or
respect of the rights
or reputation of
others" or "[f]or the
protection of national
security or of public order (order public),
or of public health or
morals[left][/left]
Re: Boko Haram: What Borno Christians Faced Under Sheriff, Shettima – CAN Chairman by aminho(m): 2:31pm On Jul 11, 2017
Freedom of speech is the political right to communicate one's opinions and ideas via speech. The term freedom of expression is
sometimes used
synonymously, but
includes any act of
seeking, receiving
regardless of the
medium used. In
practice, the right to
freedom of speech is
is commonly subject
to limitations, as with
libel, slander,
obscenity and
of expression is
recognized as a
human right under
Article 19 of the
recognized in
international human
rights law in the
International
(ICCPR). Article 19 of
the ICCPR states that
"[e]veryone shall
have the right to hold
"everyone shall have
the right to freedom
of expression; this
right shall include
information and
ideas of all kinds,
regardless of
frontiers, either
art, or through any
other media of his
choice". Article 19
goes on to say that
duties and
responsibilities" and
may "therefore be
subject to certain
respect of the rights
or reputation of
others" or "[f]or the
protection of national
or of public health or
morals
sometimes used
synonymously, but
includes any act of
seeking, receiving
regardless of the
medium used. In
practice, the right to
freedom of speech is
is commonly subject
to limitations, as with
libel, slander,
obscenity and
of expression is
recognized as a
human right under
Article 19 of the
recognized in
international human
rights law in the
International
(ICCPR). Article 19 of
the ICCPR states that
"[e]veryone shall
have the right to hold
"everyone shall have
the right to freedom
of expression; this
right shall include
information and
ideas of all kinds,
regardless of
frontiers, either
art, or through any
other media of his
choice". Article 19
goes on to say that
duties and
responsibilities" and
may "therefore be
subject to certain
respect of the rights
or reputation of
others" or "[f]or the
protection of national
or of public health or
morals

(1) (Reply)

We Have Confidence In Osinbajo – US, UK / Attention: Nnamdi KANU Sends Important Message To Biafrans In Niger-delta / Is This FFK's Best Ever Tweet?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.