Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,069 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:24 AM

Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? (6265 Views)

Tell Me About Your Culture? What Do We Have In Common? / If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? / The Ultimate Human Culture. What Do You Think? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by sofadj(m): 10:30pm On Dec 27, 2009
One cant but wonder what wld be left of our culture in the future(say 200years).

With d way children are are raised nowadays in Nigeria, we pay more respect to western culture,

We find western culture trendier than ours(food, clothin,language etc)

NIgerian culture may cease to exist in the future.

The problem is dt western culture is really not compatible with african thinkin, personality etc

i think inferiority cmplex is pushing us to embrace western culture this much

what do u'l think?
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Angeleyz(f): 10:34pm On Dec 27, 2009
the only thing i can think of is the mtv generation syndrome
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Lacrisma(m): 10:36pm On Dec 27, 2009
as technology continues to be readily available to ALL, cultures will be challenged and deprived. undecided undecided
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by sofadj(m): 10:47pm On Dec 27, 2009
Angeleyz:

the only thing i can think of is the mtv generation syndrome

what do u mean by that?

Lacrisma:

as technology continues to be readily available to ALL, cultures will be challenged and deprived. undecided undecided

i dnt thin technology is an excuse!
if all cultures are challenged,why are we not on the exporting side? we are on the importing side becuz we dnt feel our culture is good enough.
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Angeleyz(f): 10:51pm On Dec 27, 2009
Hi there soja
well wat i mean is mtv is just an analogy in describing how young people live and wat they aspire to be. If you've noticed, the thing nopw is celeb mania. everyone wants to be young and famous. its about the cars, women, house money, drugs etc.Culture can not get a look in when we talking money.
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Lacrisma(m): 11:29pm On Dec 27, 2009
Angeleyz:

Culture can not get a look in when we talking money.

Culture then were solely about values now we are speaking solely on capitalization of everything FROM culture to RELIGION.

Everything that can be capitalized upon often loses its value and needs to be transformed.
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by sofadj(m): 12:48am On Dec 28, 2009
my real concern is this:
americans preserve their culture, asians do, indians also etc,
but nigerians dnt ,
------some families dont even encourage their kids to speak their native languages,
------greet in traditional way, etc
------native language is forbidden in some families,
-----many youths prefer d foreign/western cuisine to our own native dishes
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Lacrisma(m): 12:57am On Dec 28, 2009
I get what you mean BUT its a larger issue than you are stating.

Some people don't feel obligated to a country has not helped them or assisted them in any manner. More than half of Nigerians live abroad.
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by sofadj(m): 1:10am On Dec 28, 2009
^^^kinda get ur point

Lacrisma:

so can we trace d prob back to d govt?

Some people don't feel obligated to a country has not helped them or assisted them in any manner.

so they are like gettin back at the country or what.?

More than half of Nigerians live abroad.

well even those dt live here still neglect our culture
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Lacrisma(m): 1:13am On Dec 28, 2009
sofa-dj:

so they are like gettin back at the country or what.?

well even those dt live here still neglect our culture

Certainly ---  they do NOT feel obligated to a Country that has neglected and dejected their every need. They as a people feel betrayed.

Subconsciously they think, how can they transfer the culture of a country that has not supported them.

How do they teach their children the values of a country that has abandoned them---- its very complex
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by sofadj(m): 1:29am On Dec 28, 2009
IMO CULTURE SHOULDN'T BE SYNONYMOUS WITH COUNTRY.

CULTURE IS OF A PEOPLE , THEIR WAY OF LIFE,LANG,FOOD,ETC

WE ARE NOT GETTIN BACK AT THE COUNTRY BY DISCARDING OUR CULTURE AND PROMOTIN WESTERN ESPECIALLY WHEN WE CAN NOT REALLY PRACTICE THEIRS.
THEIRS IS GOING TO POLLUTE/INFECT/CORRUPT OUR MINDS.
THE COUNTRY REMAINS OURS WHETHER WHATEVER!
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Nobody: 1:31am On Dec 28, 2009
I'm not aware of any declining interest in Nigerian culture.
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by asha80(m): 11:54am On Dec 28, 2009
Is there anything like 'nigerian' culture?
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by sayso: 11:57am On Dec 28, 2009
in that long time,the world will go cyber,that includes 9ja
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by manmustwac(m): 12:03pm On Dec 28, 2009
sofa-dj:

------some families dont even encourage their kids to speak their native languages,
my tribe very guilty of this and its even worse for those brought up outside urhobo land in places like lagos or other parts of the country and worse still for those brought up abroad like who was raised the in the U K. All they teach us to do is to greet our elders which is migwo cry
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by igboboy1(m): 12:05pm On Dec 28, 2009

@ poster
10years i would have agreed with your point

Now most people listen to naija musicians, play naija songs at their wedding instead of western songs, thanks to people keeping our tradition alive by incorporating either an indigeneous language, style and so on

look at big artists back home

d'banj uses yoruba and pidgin
9ice uses heavy yoruba
nigga raw use igbo and pidgin
lagbaja keeps it 100 etc

so we are very much interested in our culture

Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 28, 2009
not only Nigerian culture

its a worldwide phenomenon
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:37pm On Dec 28, 2009
foreign movies, for sure. and foreign music too are the cause.
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by frgy1: 12:39pm On Dec 28, 2009
Lacrisma:

Some people don't feel obligated to a country has not helped them or assisted them in any manner. More than half of Nigerians live abroad.
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by bidemi12(m): 1:59pm On Dec 28, 2009
if it was you, would you be interested in a culture of corrpution and crime?
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 28, 2009
of all the african countries i know, nigerians are the ones that prserved their cultures the most, though its dwindling, but we are better than some,
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by oyinda3(f): 2:09pm On Dec 28, 2009
ifedy:

of all the african countries i know, nigerians are the ones that prserved their cultures the most, though its dwindling, but we are better than some,

who told u that? undecided you must not know many african countries!!
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 28, 2009
oyinda.:

who told u that? undecided you must not know many african countries!!
Tell me those countries that are better off nigeria in terms of culture
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by koolchicco: 3:28pm On Dec 28, 2009
@Topic

Inter-marital relationships,

Too much of Civilization Westernization
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by mrperfect(m): 3:28pm On Dec 28, 2009
What do we do?
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by emisun(m): 3:31pm On Dec 28, 2009
AM culturally core to born.to me one reason for the declining interest in our culture is just inferiority complex.you wouldn't communicate with your brother in another lang if you don't consider your inferior.am blaming it 80% on the way christianity is been practiced here.imagine the mentality some have about our beautiful masquerade being evil and of the devil while santa clause or cruise even cruz is right from the center of heaven,i mean more like arch angel micheal.
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by THEAMAKA1: 3:36pm On Dec 28, 2009
sofa-dj:

One cant but wonder what wld be left of our culture in the future(say 200years).

With d way children are are raised nowadays in Nigeria, we pay more respect to western culture,

We find western culture trendier than ours(food, clothin,language etc)

NIgerian culture may cease to exist in the future.

The problem is dt western culture is really not compatible with african thinkin, personality etc

i think inferiority cmplex is pushing us to embrace western culture this much

what do u'l think?

i sooo feel you.
this is not only Nigeria but many countries in Africa and Asia ect. . .
was just talking about this (kinda) to my YIM buddy the other day.
Africans love to embrace western culture and sometimes look at their own as "wrong" or i cant find the right word.
but yeah, i really don't know what to say.
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by THEAMAKA1: 3:42pm On Dec 28, 2009
emisun:

AM culturally core to born.to me one reason for the declining interest in our culture is just inferiority complex.you wouldn't communicate with your brother in another lang if you don't consider your inferior.am blaming it 80% on the way christianity is been practiced here.imagine the mentality some have about our beautiful masquerade being evil and of the devil while santa clause or cruise even cruz is right from the center of heaven,i mean more like arch angel micheal.
i do see your point.

ifedy:

youre gonna need facts to back that up.

igbo boy:

@ poster
10years i would have agreed with your point

Now most people listen to naija musicians, play naija songs at their wedding instead of western songs, thanks to people keeping our tradition alive by incorporating either an indigeneous language, style and so on

look at big artists back home

d'banj uses yoruba and pidgin
9ice uses heavy yoruba
nigga raw use igbo and pidgin
lagbaja keeps it 100 etc

so we are very much interested in our culture

i have to disagree because most of these naija artist (even though the ones you named were cool)of today are becoming TOOO WESTERNIZED. people need to stick to how 2face was when he first came out.
some of the latest naija music sounds too american and i wouldnt even know it was by a naija artist if i heard it on the radio or something.
i was just thinking about this the other day.
even though our musicians are nigerian doesnt mean they are sticking to "naija style" type of music.
i can't believe some of the garbage coming out these days.
i can't listen to naija music thats too westernized cause it doesnt seem authentic or original.
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 28, 2009
THE.AMAKA:

i do see your point.
youre gonna need facts to back that up.

I know but tell me how many african countries u ve seen that preserved their culture than nigeria
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by THEAMAKA1: 4:32pm On Dec 28, 2009
ifedy:

I know but tell me how many african countries u ve seen that preserved their culture than nigeria
in TV and a lot of naija music it is heavily western influenced.
i think naija is on the same boat as a lot of these countries you're talking about.
Re: Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? by Princek12(m): 4:36pm On Dec 28, 2009
The interest in foreign culture--American culture particularly--is increasing not only because of MTV but also the popularity of DSTV.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Own Oga / We Are More Than Just Egyptians, Moors, Igbos, Hausas And Yorubas. / Silent Night In Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.