Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State (15421 Views)

A Refutation Benin Origin Hypothesis Of Most Anioma People / Martha Dunkwu, The Omu Of Anioma: As Queen, I Can Only Marry A Woman / Naming Ceremony Of Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins With Memunat (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by fratermathy(m): 8:40pm On Apr 05, 2017
The Anioma people are a conurbation of various ethnicities in Northern Delta State who came together under the Anioma umbrella. Anioma is an acronym for Aniocha, Ndokwa, Ika, and Oshimili (ANIO). The "Ma" is used a common suffix used in all the languages. Through this process of acronymy, a word "Anioma" was derived by Dennis Osadebay of Asaba (former premier of Mid-Western State now comprising Delta and Edo States) to mean "good land"!

The various ethnic groups comprising Anioma all have Benin and Igbo heritage and their cultural hybridity makes them distinct and unique. The languages spoken in Aniomaland are Igboid save for Enuani (Asaba/Ogwashi-Uku and environs) which is considered to be a pure Igbo dialect. However, culturally, the Anioma people have a lot of similarities with the Edoid groups such as Urhobo-Isoko, Bini, Esan, etc. Some of these similarities manifest strongly in the Ukwuani and Ika ethnic groups.

I came across a writup on the naming system of the Anioma people on Facebook (Proudly Anioma page) and I decided to share it here so that everyone can be educated on Anioma onomastics. See it below:

In most part, Anioma names are different from eastern Igbo names. Names often tell a lot on the cultural thought of a people. In Benin for instance, we hear of names like Igbinoba (I seek the protection of the Oba) which attests the high esteem the Oba of Benin was held. Though I will not be able to cover all Anioma names, the following should give an insight on the nature of the Anioma names and the cultural thought of the Anioma people.

(1) Names derived from Edo sources are borne throughout Anioma land especially around Agbor (Ika area). Some of those Edo derived names include Daike (derived from Edaiken meaning prince), Utomi (derived from Utomwen meaning longevity), Ugbede(from Ogbeide implying a first son), Osubor (Osunbor), Okubor (derived from Okunbor), Adaigbe(from Edegbe), Obaze (from Obazee), Ojemudia (from Ogiemudia), Ajuebor (from Aguebor), Omojafor (Omogiafor), Odiah, Ekhator, Osabohien, Usifo (derived from Osifo), Idabor, Eboigbe, Buzugbe (derived from Ibizugbe), Okungbowa, Obaigbena, Jegbefume (Giegbefumwen), Okundaye, Ojeifo (Ogiefo), Iyeke (meaning back in Edo and the Anioma equivalent is Azu), Ugbelase (derived from Igberiase), Igboba (derived from Igbinoba), Igbidu (derived from Igbinidu) and many others.

(2) Other names (from other ethnic groups) are localised such as in the Ukwuani where Urhobo and Isoko names can be noticed. Thus we have Anioma people bearing such Urhobo/Isoko names like Onateri, Oghenovo, Obaro (and its derivative Ubaru), and Omadhemor. In some Anioma communities of Ndokwa East where Ijaws had settled and assimilated as Anioma people, a few names of Ijaw origin can be noticed e.g Tabowei family of Umuolu which the former Delta State commissioner, Dr Ogalanya Tabowei belongs. In the Igala speaking Ebu and Inyelen communities, many Igala names persist especially as first names though many of them tend to bear surnames derived from Igbo origins. Many of these Igala based first names are based on the Igala word OJOR meaning God rather than Chi or Chukwu. In the mainly Olukwumi speaking towns of Ugbodu, Ukwu Nzu and Ubulubu all in Aniocha North LGA, it will also noticed that most of them bear surnames that are of Igbo or Edo origin. The Yoruba names which tend to bore more as first names eg the monarch of Ugbodu bears the title of Ayo (a Yoruba name) Isinyemeze (an Igbo name)

(3) Names beginning with Ose (derived from Olise) and Osa (derived from Olisa) meaning God are mainly borne in Anioma land and those names include Osemedua, Oseafiana, Osakwe, Osamor, Osenwokwu, Osadunkwu, Osemeke, Kpamiose, Odiakosa, Ifeosameh, Okose, Osaji, Osajindu, Akosa, Osadume, Osadebe (Osademe), Bioseh, Bosah etc. Amongst the Ukwuani "Osa " means people and this should be distinguished from Osa or Ose meaning God.

(4) Names derived from parts of the body. A common part of the body is ISI (ISHI in Ika and Ukwuani) meaning "head", since the head was believed to be the base of ones destiny. Thus are names like Isidi, Isiekwene, and Isichei. Also is OBI meaning heart which is believed to be the base of the life force thus we have names like Obioma. Other names that belong to this category include Anya(Enya in Ika and Ukwuani) meaning the eye in such names like Anyafulu or Ukwu meaning the leg in such names like Ukwunye and Aka(Eka in Ika and Ukwuani) reflecting in such names like Akeze.

(5) There are also the "Ashi"(pronounced "Ehi" or "Ahi" in Ika) names. It means destiny or guardian spirit depending on context. Names like Ashimedua, Ashibofu, Ehiwario, Ashinze, Ashibuogwu, Ashiedu (Ashinedu in Ukwuani) or Ehima belongs to this category.

(6) The "Uya" names. It is difficult to translate "Uya" into English. The closest word in English is possibly "debasement". The Uya names are quite common in Anioma and includes Asomuya, Otuya (Otunuya), Osuya, Uyanna, Uyanne, Onwubuya, Uyabeme, Uyamasi, Uyanwanne etc.

(7) Names with "Iwe" or vexation are far more common in Anioma land than the eastern Igbo area. Names include Iwelu, Iweakuba, Azikiwe, Iwedike, Iwendi, Iwenofu, Iwegbue, Iweka, Egbuniwe, Iwebuka etc

(cool Names with "Mo" or "Nmo" (pronounced Mor or Nmor) meaning spirit or deity and it appears in such names like Mordi, Nammor, Morka, Mosindi, Moemeke, Monu, Mowete, Osamor (suggests that Mor was also used for God), Momah, Molokwu, Morah, Monye(i), Memeh, Moeteke, Mokobia etc. These "Mor" names are common in the Enuani (Eluali) area and almost completely absent in the Ukwuani area. However, one of the earliest founders of Obiaruku had the name of Morka which suggests that the "Mor" were borne in Ukwuani as well but went out of use with time.

(9) Names associated with traditional religion e.g Ani, the earth spirit borne mainly as Anim, Ossai (a temple) which is pronounced "Ohai" in the Enuani area, Fejokwu (keeper of the farm), Nwoboshi(an Ibusa name meaning a child of Oboshi deity), Uzu (god of iron), Abiandu, Ogbuebunu or Dibia (a native doctor), Ugbaja meaning a box of sacrifice etc.

(10) Some names are related to the chieftancy institution or social status such as Iyasere or Onowu, Dafe (or Odafe -with Urhobo roots), Ogalanya, Alanza, Oboli, Odua, Nzemeke, Nzete, Odogwu, Nwaomu, Nzeshi, Ugboma, Isama, Agba, Nwanze, Nwaodua, Ozah, Dibia, Okwechime, Ogude, Nzekwe etc.

(11) Names associated with animals such as Enyi(elephants), Ugoh (eagle), Egbe (hawk), Nwawolo (child of the leopard), Ugbana (a graceful wading bird) and its derivates such as Ojugbana and Nwugbana.

(12) Names with "Oko" or "Okolo" meaning a fully grown man e.g Okonji(a dark skinned man), Okocha(a fair-skinned man), Okonta(a man who hunts), Okodike(a brave man), Okonne (a man of his mother), Okowa(a man from Owa), Okonma(a good man), Okonjo(should literally mean a "tough man"wink, Okolobia (a young man) etc and derivatives like Nwoko, Nwokolobia, Nwokolo etc.

(13) Names associated with lineage or ancestry such as Awunor or Aghunor (pronounced "Agholor" in Ika), Unor, Ogbechie, Eboagwu, Eboka, Ebomah, Idigbe, Unokiwedi and so on.

(14) The "Ese" names as in Eseka, Esekodi, Eseanobi, Eseadizina, Esenwa, Okwese, Esekwe etc.

(15) The "Enu" names as in Enudi, Enubuzor, Enunwa, Onyemaenu, Enuma, Enuha, Enueme etc.

(16) The "Onwu" names. Onwu means death and are borne throughout the Igbo speaking world but some Anioma "Onwu" names parade some peculiarities and can easily be identified such as Onwuegbuzie, Onwuamazie, Onwubuya, Onwuka, Onwuemene, Onwuyali etc.

(17) The "Okwu" names are also universally borne in the Igbo speaking area but it is far more common in Anioma land and many of the names have peculiar attributes such as Okwuchi, Okwuadi, Okwuokei, Okwuagwu, Okwudiafor, Okwuede, Okwumabua, Okwudionu and many others.

(18) The "Njoh" names as in Njokanma, Njoetene, Njoagwuani, Njokede etc.

(19) The Chukwu or Chi names. These names have been popularised with the acceptance of Christianity but some of them have Anioma peculiarities such as Chukwuji, Chidi, Chiemeke, Chukwuma, Chiazor, Chinye, Chisinghai and Chukwuka

(20)Names associated with occupation, economic trees and crops such as Ogbeni(hunter), Onyugbo(farmer), Ogoh(farm), Dibia(medicine making), Jinanwa, Jibunor, Egbo, Akpu, Orji etc.

(21) Names associated with sections of the house such as Ukoni(kitchen) and Obi(courtyard)

(22) Anioma people have some "Nwa" names peculiar to them such as Nwagbogwu, Nwaka, Nwabuokei, Nwabueze(rather than Nweze), Nwabudike(Nwadike), Nwoliwe, Nwalumona, Nwabardi, Nwaeguniwe, Nwabunor, Nwajei, Nwadei etc.

(23) Some names which reflects certain events or lessons in life such as Eneduwa (donot look down on others), Emechete (remember the implications of one's actions), Emegwai or Emegwali meaning do not retaliate, Emefiene meaning do not exceed what is necessary in your actions etc. Names of these nature are quite common in Anioma.

(24) Anioma names tend to end with "e" (e as in egg) rather than "a" in the eastern Igbo area e.g Egbune rather than Egbuna or Emeke rather than Emeka. Occassionally many Anioma names because of contact with Eastern Igbo names like Ajudua instead of Ajudue, Emeka instead of Emeke and Maduemezia instead of Maduemezie.

(25) Other Anioma names include Enebeli, Ojei, Ogana, Oputa, Ukah, Ofili, Ochei and so many others.
These names are in most part no longer borne as the first name but they areoften what we see as the surname. It is such surnames that reflects our culture, way of life and history. A closer look to these names could help in reconstructing aspects of our life before the arrival of the white man.

Source: https://web.facebook.com/ProudlyAnioma/posts/258607067606924:0?_rdr

So what do you think? Are you an Anioma person? Add more names and their roots! smiley

Anioma kwenu!
Anioma wadoo!

Let us appreciate the Anioma culture!! Say no to tribalism!

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by CplusJason: 8:51pm On Apr 05, 2017
22) Anioma people have some "Nwa" names peculiar to them such as Nwagbogwu, Nwaka, Nwabuokei, Nwabueze(rather than Nweze), Nwabudike(Nwadike), Nwoliwe, Nwalumona, Nwabardi, Nwaeguniwe, Nwabunor, Nwajei, Nwadei etc.

That's my name baby. grin

God bless Issele-Uku (The pride of Anioma)

God bless Chief James Onanefe Ibori

God bless Delta State.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by DynamoDeGreat: 8:56pm On Apr 05, 2017
Chukwunalu
Chukwuka
Chukwudi
Chukwunwike
Chukwuma

Godbless Anioma

Proudly Ukwuani

4 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by fratermathy(m): 9:09pm On Apr 05, 2017
CC:
Ehikwe22
ConqueredWest
Cheruv
Pazienza
Ikechu10
Amarabae
Ngozi123
iSlayer
Blues20
Khsteel
Efewestern
Sanchez01
Afam4eva
Bigfrancis21
DocHMD
Bolaino
Bantudra
Paschu
SlayerForever
SGTSmith001
OPCNAIRALAND
CeoMYN

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by RedboneSmith(m): 9:22pm On Apr 05, 2017
Onyali - one of my favourites.

Azike.

Uti - I only recently learnt it was taken from the title Ezomo N'Uti.

Who knows what Ogeah means, by the way? Some of my cousins answer that.

I know of an Issele-Uku man called Biniamaka. I thought the name was a little funny. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Afam4eva(m): 9:30pm On Apr 05, 2017
For the interest of peace, i think Anioma issues especially as it pertains to culture should be treated in isolation. If it's about Ika let it be Ika. if it's about Ukwuani, let it be Ukwuani, if it's about Aniocha/Oshimili, let it be Aniocha. Muddling all these groups together in the name of culture makes beautiful articles such as these to come across as ignorant.

The only thing i was able to take out from this article is just another attempt by some people to dissociate Anioma from the larger Igbos as much as possible.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by ehikwe22: 9:33pm On Apr 05, 2017
Nice. This being from a pro Igbo group I must say it's fair enough. a study of all Anioma people and Aniocha related people outside of Delta State. I noticed the researcher included the Anioma related groups in SE in this study but I wonder if the researcher is very conversant with many Anioma related groups in Edo including the places that are bilingual in Ika and Edo languages.

2 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by cheruv: 9:48pm On Apr 05, 2017
Is it to say that uya means disgrace?

Can anyone explain to me what uya means
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by RedboneSmith(m): 9:51pm On Apr 05, 2017
Uya is something along the lines of sorrow/suffering.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by ehikwe22: 9:53pm On Apr 05, 2017
cheruv:
Is it to say that uya means disgrace?

Can anyone explain to me what uya means
Uya means suffering and anything negative in Anioma languages. Other Uya names include Ikponfinasoya literally means dustbin doesn't forbid bad things and ehichoya. Literally means God chase away my suffering and tribulations. Same name, same pronunciation and same meaning in Ika and Esan

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by RedboneSmith(m): 9:58pm On Apr 05, 2017
ehikwe22:
Uya means suffering and anything negative in Anioma languages. Other Uya names include Ikponfinasoya literally means dustbin doesn't forbid bad things and ehichoya. Literally means God chase away my suffering and tribulations. Same name, same pronunciation and same meaning in Ika and Esan

Esan has the 'ch' sound? I am just asking because I can't remember seeing 'ch' in an Esan word.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by ehikwe22: 10:03pm On Apr 05, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Esan has the 'ch' sound? I am just asking because I can't remember seeing 'ch' in an Esan word.
Yes. Ehichoya is a very popular Esan name but more common around Uromi area

2 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by RedboneSmith(m): 10:12pm On Apr 05, 2017
ehikwe22:
Yes. Ehichoya is a very popular Esan name but more common around Uromi area

That's interesting.

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by ehikwe22: 10:14pm On Apr 05, 2017
Ashi is the Aniocha variant of ehi. Ehi is the main word here and it's unfair to make ashi the main subject .
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by kpaminose: 10:25pm On Apr 05, 2017
Just saw this thread. Don't know if this thread will give more insight into this topic. Here you see some names born among the Ikas of the Anioma but take note some of the commenters are not Ika. https://www.nairaland.com/3716666/ika-trail-blazers-last-100
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by ConqueredWest: 10:30pm On Apr 05, 2017
Fratermathy, Aniomas are Biafrans
Urhobos are free to reject Biafra at the referendum.
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by kpaminose: 10:37pm On Apr 05, 2017
Please don't bring up Biafran talks into this very interesting topic. Please be warned. Op. Warn them now

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by cheruv: 10:52pm On Apr 05, 2017
ehikwe22:
Mmm...
Now thinking deeply this sounding similar to something more familiar cool

To Eastern Igbos in the house what does ure mean You know like they say uremma, urenna, adaure shocked
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by cheruv: 10:55pm On Apr 05, 2017
ConqueredWest:
Fratermathy, Aniomas are Biafrans

Urhobos are free to reject Biafra at the referendum.
Enyi hafu ndi Sobo...anyi ajula ha bu nājula ha angry
Anyi achoghi obo n'ohaeze Biāfra angry

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by cheruv: 11:00pm On Apr 05, 2017
ehikwe22:
Ashi is the Aniocha variant of ehi. Ehi is the main word here and it's unfair to make ashi the main subject .
Am actually working on a project that'd see "ahi" adapted into standard Igbo for use as aura....moreover "ahi" makes more sense pronunciation wise than "ehi" bkos the "i" sound is a deep one,and in standard Igbo "e" never goes with deep vowels undecided

Is "eki" the ika for ring?
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by cheruv: 11:04pm On Apr 05, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Edoid languages generally don't have the "ch" sound...I don't know if they lack "z" too but from my research the "ch" sound is the main difference btwn Edoid and Igboid languages.
Any Edoid language you see having "ch" for sure borrowed it from the nearest Igboid language around

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by ehikwe22: 11:18pm On Apr 05, 2017
cheruv:

Edoid languages generally don't have the "ch" sound...I don't know if they lack "z" too but from my research the "ch" sound is the main difference btwn Edoid and Igboid languages.
Any Edoid language you see having "ch" for sure borrowed it from the nearest Igboid language around
You see, you shouldn't a word into another word simply because it makes more sense. History should be about what was, what is and never what ought to be. Besides, ehi is not from Igbo language why are you concerned about if it makes sense in Igbo language? There's nothing like ahi. It's ehi in Ika and ashi in Enuani. It's from Bini language and has the same meaning and significance in Ika Land. In all our myths, legends and fairy tales, after God, next is Ehi and Ogiso. Other very significant figures are olokun and Ojuwu the devil.

2 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Ngozi123(f): 11:29pm On Apr 05, 2017
Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Afam4eva(m): 11:41pm On Apr 05, 2017
Ngozi123:

Fratermathy

My last name is up there but I don't accept that it's a Bini name undecided.
Pls, highlight the exact one.

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Ngozi123(f): 11:42pm On Apr 05, 2017
Afam4eva:
For the interest of peace, i think Anioma issues especially as it pertains to culture should be treated in isolation. If it's about Ika let it be Ika. if it's about Ukwuani, let it be Ukwuani, if it's about Aniocha/Oshimili, let it be Aniocha. Muddling all these groups together in the name of culture makes beautiful articles such as these to come across as ignorant.

The only thing i was able to take out from this article is just another attempt by some people to dissociate Anioma from the larger Igbos as much as possible.

If that was the op's intention, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was, then it's dead on arrival as I have one of the names that's described as having "Edo sources" (doubtful in my case) and I'm not from Delta state. If anything, it proves the link that some Anioma people in Delta state have with other Igbos across the Niger.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Afam4eva(m): 11:43pm On Apr 05, 2017
Ngozi123:

If that was the op's intention, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was, then it's dead on arrival as I have one of the names that's described as having "Edo sources" (doubtful in my case) and I'm not from Delta state. If anything, it proves the link that some Anioma people in Delta state have with other Igbos across the Niger.
If you're from the Onitsha axis, they'll tell you that you're Anioma with links to bini

Personally, if i had my way, we should just cut off everyone from Delta and Rivers state. This insults are just too much. We have left more pressing issues to give some insignificant small groups the effrontery to act more important than they are. I've started becoming very wary of any so called Igboid person from Delta or Rivers state.

4 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by RedboneSmith(m): 11:43pm On Apr 05, 2017
Ngozi123:

Fratermathy

My last name is up there but I don't accept that it's a Bini name undecided.

I just went through the names listed on that no. 1 again. If your name is there, just calm down and accept that it is of Bini origin. That doesn't make you Bini though.

2 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Ngozi123(f): 11:43pm On Apr 05, 2017
Afam4eva:

Pls, highlight the exact one.

Can't do that for privacy reasons. Plus, I have a feeling that a lot of people here will know who my dad is if I say it undecided.

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Ngozi123(f): 11:44pm On Apr 05, 2017
RedboneSmith:

I just went through the names listed on that no. 1 again. If your name is there, just calm down and accept that it is of Bini origin. That doesn't make you Bini though.

wink. Please delete it.

1 Like

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by Afam4eva(m): 11:45pm On Apr 05, 2017
Ngozi123:

Can't do that for privacy reasons. Plus, I have a feeling that a lot of people here will know who my dad is if I say it undecided.
WOW, so your father is a politican? I don catch you today grin

Never mind, i know who your father is.

2 Likes

Re: Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State by RedboneSmith(m): 11:46pm On Apr 05, 2017
Ngozi123:

wink. Please delete it.

I have.

Sorry. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Idea Of A Strong Black Woman / Having Visitors Without Prior Notice: Your View / The Traditional Culture Of Greeting In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.