Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,664 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? (14338 Views)

Engine Oil Specifications: What's The Best Oil For Your Car? / How To Drive The 2019 G-wagon SUV Through The Mud Explained By Mercedes / What Does It Mean To Have “mansory” Attached To The Name Of A Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by refreshrate: 8:48am On Apr 07, 2017
philipgame:
kudos to subscribers, view fixed match won below

Will you take this rubbish and get out of here?

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by domack99(m): 8:52am On Apr 07, 2017
philipgame:
kudos to subscribers, view fixed match won below

Is this a mistake or what?
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by eghuan1(m): 9:40am On Apr 07, 2017
Once met a guy who had not changed his engine oil in eight (cool months. The oil had become thick it was churning into grease. The guy was lucky the engine was still alive. And to think he uses the car for Uber.

Another guy told me he only changes his oil twice a year, a month later engine knocked.

Be good to your car and it will serve you well. My uncle used his Volkswagen Santana for 23 years. We had to sell it after he died not because it was bad bad, we knew we won't be able to maintain it like he did.
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by EPIJOE: 11:04am On Apr 07, 2017
[b][/b] THE TRUTH IS, MOST VEHICLES BROUGHT IN TO THE COUNTRY AS TOKUNBO OR FAIRLY USED HAVE THERE ENGINES NOT PROPERLY MAINTAINED AND FOLLOW THIS OIL SPECIFICATIONS. SOME DEALERS CHANGE THE OILS THEMSELVES TO NEW MOBIL 1 OR 5W 30. WHICH IS OF A HIGH GRADE SYNTHENTIC OIL.WHEN THEY ARE PURCHASED TO CONVINCE THE BUYER. NOT KNOWING THAT A LOW QUALITY OIL IS BEEN USED FOR A LONG TIME. THAT IS WHY WHEN YOU OBSERVE A CLEAN ENGINE AND START SMOKING BETWEEN 1-7MONTHS OF PURCHASE YOU HAVE FALL VICTIM.

ONCE YOUR ENGINE IS GETTING OLD ADOPT SAE 40 BRAND OR 20W 50

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by IKEOHA2019: 12:33pm On Apr 07, 2017
When you think of lubricants, think of Masters Lubricants

Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by ican2020: 2:03pm On Apr 07, 2017
domack99:
What's written on your oil bottle, and what does it mean?

This post may seem like going back to basics but I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who do not know, or understand, what is written on a bottle of oil, and therefore have no idea what they are buying/using.

To be blunt about the subject, if a bottle of oil does not contain the following basic information then DO NOT buy it! Look for something that does!

1) The purpose for which it is intended (i.e. Motor oil, Gear oil etc)

2) The viscosity (i.e. 10w40, 5w30 etc for Motor oils and 80w90, 75w90, etc for Gear oils)

3) The specifications that it meets (should contain both API and ACEA ratings)

4) The OEM Approvals that it carries and the codes (i.e. MB229.3, VW503.00, BMW LL01 etc)

Ignore the marketing blurb on the label - in many cases it's meaningless and I'll explain later what statements you should treat with some scepticism.

So, what does the above information mean and why is it important?

THE BASICS

All oils are intended for an application and in general are not interchangeable. You would not for example put an Automatic Transmission Oil or a Gear Oil in your engine! It's important to know what the oil's intended purpose is.

VISCOSITY

Most oils on the shelves today are "Multigrades", which simply means that the oil falls into 2 viscosity grades (i.e. 10w-40 etc)

Multigrades were first developed some 50 years ago to avoid the old routine of using a thinner oil in winter and a thicker oil in summer.

In a 10w-40 for example the 10w bit (W = winter, not weight or watt or anything else for that matter) simply means that the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity/flow at low temperature. The lower the "W" number the better the oil's cold temperature/cold start performance.

The 40 in a 10w-40 simply means that the oil must fall within certain viscosity limits at 100°C. This is a fixed limit and all oils that end in 40 must achieve these limits. Once again the lower the number, the thinner the oil: a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100°C etc. Your handbook will specify whether a 30, 40 or 50 etc is required.

SPECIFICATIONS

Specifications are important as these indicate the performance of the oil and whether they have met or passed the latest tests, or whether the formulation is effectively obsolete or out of date. There are two specifications that you should look for on any oil bottle and these are API (American Petroleum Institute) and ACEA (Association des Constructeurs Europeens d'Automobiles) all good oils should contain both of these, and an understanding of what they mean is important

http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm

Oil Types, Weights & Viscosity FAQ

Is it ok to switch motor oil weights, for example, from a 5W-20 to a 10W-30?

It depends. Some vehicle manufacturers provide a range of recommended motor oil viscosity grades based on the outside temperature in which the car is driven. Other manufacturers recommend the use of only one motor oil viscosity grade. For best engine performance, always follow the manufacturer's recommendations found in your vehicle’s owner’s manual.

Is it ok to use 5W-30 in a car if the owner's manual calls for 5W-20?

It is not recommend to do this. Using a heavier grade than recommended may cause decrease in fuel economy, higher engine loads and eventually shortened engine life. Using a lighter grade than recommended may result in excessive mechanical wear and reduced engine life. For maximum engine performance, follow the recommended motor oil viscosity and maintenance schedule provided in your vehicle's owner's manual.

What does the "w" in a grade of motor oil stand for?

The "w" in motor oil stands for winter. The first number in the oil classification refers to a cold weather viscosity. The lower this number is, the less viscous your oil will be at low temperatures. For example, a 5W- motor oil will flow better at lower temperatures than a 15W- motor oil. The higher number, following the “w” refers to hot weather viscosity, or how fluid your oil is at hot temperatures. The higher the number, the thicker the oil at a specified temperature.

Is thicker oil better?

In some circumstances, thicker oil can be used to compensate for increased bearing clearances (gaps between bearing and rotating shaft) that have developed over the years. A large change in bearing clearances can result in poorer lubrication. For best performance always follow the recommendations for motor oil viscosity in your vehicle's owner's manual.

When does it make sense to use straight weight oil (SAE30) versus a multigrade oil (5W-30)?

Straight weight oil is never recommended for use in a system that requires a multi-viscosity oil. Straight weight oils are generally recommended for smaller engines or older vehicles that were made before multi-viscosity oils were produced.

Is switching types of motor oil (conventional, synthetic, etc.) harmful to my vehicle's engine?

Conventional, synthetic blend, synthetic and high mileage motor oils are compatible and will not harm your vehicle's engine. For maximum engine performance, follow the motor oil type recommendation provided in your vehicle’s owner’s manual.

Is it true that older cars must only use conventional oil?

No.

http://www.valvoline.com/about-us/faq/oil-types-weights-and-viscosity-faq

Which engine oil will you recommend for 1997 Mercedes Benz E230.

Thanks for lectures
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by domack99(m): 3:54pm On Apr 07, 2017
ican2020:

Which engine oil will you recommend for 1997 Mercedes Benz E230.

Thanks for lectures

If the vehicle engine is still the same one since the car was manufactured, I will preferred a synthetic xW40 or xW30, for older engine, some expert suggest using thicker oil
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by infolekan(m): 6:09pm On Apr 07, 2017
For the poster with the betting lines above me
If you've been able to solve your own financial problems.......you won't be here hawking betting games online. You should be making your millions right now instead of inundating us with your scam lines. Go place the bets yourself and make your millions. Scammer
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by dsaintJ4Real(m): 8:50am On Apr 08, 2017
domack99:

Mobil 1 is always a good choice, kind of expensive right now.
Thanks for your write up.
Some questions :
1. How do I recognize a synthetic oil?
2. My car manual says use the oils as seen in the picture, and I use a Mobile 1,any negative effect?
3. What is it about Mobile 1 and next lower grade of Mobile oil that makes it better ? Or expensive?

Some questions may crop up in my head later.
Thanks.
NB : the car is an Opel Zafira 2006 mini MPV

Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by domack99(m): 5:08pm On Apr 08, 2017
dsaintJ4Real:

Thanks for your write up.
Some questions :
1. How do I recognize a synthetic oil? You can go to authorized engine oil distributors for original ones. can't tell you the physical characteristics
2. My car manual says use the oils as seen in the picture, and I use a Mobile 1,any negative effect? All your listed engine oil range are available in Mobil 1, you need to say which spec of Mobil 1 you are using. See link below.
https://www.starlubricants.ro/en/mobil-car-engine-oils/mobil-1

Note that there are other brands available in the market as well

3. What is it about Mobile 1 and next lower grade of Mobile oil that makes it better ? Or expensive? You will have to broaden your knowledge by reading on the science behind their improvement on every grade produce.

Some questions may crop up in my head later.
Thanks.
NB : the car is an Opel Zafira 2006 mini MPV
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by chuka25(m): 1:00pm On Apr 21, 2017
I hv been using TOTAL 9000 0n my MERC C240 FOR SOME TIME NOW (2 YRS) BC OF DIFFICULTY IN GETTING ORIGINAL MOBIL 1. IS THAT OKAY FOR THE CAR ? THANKS.
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by ugreat(m): 9:57am On Apr 22, 2017
Guys, I have Hyundai Sonata. Which oil should I use. Some people suggested knowing d age of the engine helps. How do I know how old d engine is. Help a newbie!!
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by autotrader2: 11:39am On Apr 22, 2017
ugreat:
Guys, I have Hyundai Sonata. Which oil should I use. Some people suggested knowing d age of the engine helps. How do I know how old d engine is. Help a newbie!!

What year is your Sonata?
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by ugreat(m): 11:44am On Apr 24, 2017
autotrader2:

What year is your Sonata?
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by adanny01(m): 12:17pm On Apr 24, 2017
eghuan1:
Once met a guy who had not changed his engine oil in eight (cool months. The oil had become thick it was churning into grease. The guy was lucky the engine was still alive. And to think he uses the car for Uber.

Another guy told me he only changes his oil twice a year, a month later engine knocked.

Be good to your car and it will serve you well. My uncle used his Volkswagen Santana for 23 years. We had to sell it after he died not because it was bad bad, we knew we won't be able to maintain it like he did.

Maintaining a car by changing engine oil is very good maintenance habit but a very very bad habit for the environment.

Do you know that used engine oil has no biodegradable way to dispose it off. It has absolutely no use again except to contaminate the soil, kill plants and contaminate underground water. Burning it is damaging the atmosphere from Carbon monoxide to NOX gasses.

Less service period is more used engine and more environmental damage. Say an individual uses 20L of lube oil a year which is 5L every 4months, it becomes 30L in a year if you decide to service your vehicle every 2 months. 10L of more destruction to your planet for no reason especially if the recommended service period is not reach.

It is advisable to use your oil to the recommended service period, any less is doing more damage to the environment. I encourage drivers to service less.

I know a transport company that changes oil for every cross country return trip of their vehicles. Very good for the car but very bad for the environment.

Used oil is considered the largest source of oil pollution in the U.S. harbor and waterways, at 385 million gallons per year, mostly from improper disposal.[29] By far, the greatest cause of motor oil pollution in our oceans comes from drains and urban street runoff, much of which is from improper disposal of engine oil.[30] One gallon of used oil can create an eight-acre slick on surface water, threatening fish, waterfowl and other aquatic life. Wikipedia
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by autotrader2: 7:46pm On Apr 24, 2017
ugreat:

That model requires 10w-30 oil. You can use 5w-30 oil for it. I can give you a great deal on Genuine Toyota 5w30 oil. You can call or text 09086679585 to get it
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by erico2k2(m): 8:25pm On Apr 25, 2017
EPIJOE:
[b][/b] THE TRUTH IS, MOST VEHICLES BROUGHT IN TO THE COUNTRY AS TOKUNBO OR FAIRLY USED HAVE THERE ENGINES NOT PROPERLY MAINTAINED AND FOLLOW THIS OIL SPECIFICATIONS. SOME DEALERS CHANGE THE OILS THEMSELVES TO NEW MOBIL 1 OR 5W 30. WHICH IS OF A HIGH GRADE SYNTHENTIC OIL.WHEN THEY ARE PURCHASED TO CONVINCE THE BUYER. NOT KNOWING THAT A LOW QUALITY OIL IS BEEN USED FOR A LONG TIME. THAT IS WHY WHEN YOU OBSERVE A CLEAN ENGINE AND START SMOKING BETWEEN 1-7MONTHS OF PURCHASE YOU HAVE FALL VICTIM.

ONCE YOUR ENGINE IS GETTING OLD ADOPT SAE 40 BRAND OR 20W 50
Why make an uninformed post and let yourself look awful?
All vehicles brought from Europe and America are very well maintained .Cos it cost a great deal if your car broke down.we got MOT test,if ur car broke down in the middle of the rd there is a cost to call out a mechanic.There are Co2 test during the MOT.
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:59pm On Apr 26, 2017
epijoe, y naw? leave some comments for the big guns in tha house!

by the way, has anyone tried using abro oil treatment with 20w50..... lolz oh the wonders that could be achieved... hahahaha

disclaimer: I didn't tell anyone to try it oh!!
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by ojeysky(m): 11:20am On Dec 19, 2018
niggi4life:
Nice write up and good info.

I have two toyota camry, (2001 and 2013 Model) i use the engine oil as stated in the bonnet SAE 5W-30
I use synthetic oil ever since. Belive me, that oil is shittingly expensive (about 14K) but on the long run it's worth it

This is not even full synthetic, I don't think this should be up to 14k though maybe the seller is making extra bucks off you.
Re: Engine Oil Specifications Explained - What Does It Mean? by bobobenz: 1:05pm On Oct 05, 2022
Mercedes-Benz Original Synthetic Oil. The only oil recommended by the experts who built your engine. This oil has been designed by Mercedes-Benz specifically for Mercedes-Benz vehicles.
Developed to ensure your engine runs smoothly and with Mercedes Benz efficiency.

MB229.5 is a premium oil designed to optimise fuel economy for the latest generation of petrol engines equipped with modern emission control systems.
Good cold starting performance, low oil consumption and minimised exhaust emissions

Available in 5L and 1L gallons

You can buy it on https://benz.ng or send us a DM on BENZNIGERIA on Instagram

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transparent Car By A German Company / Rolls-Royce Corruption Probe Said To Expand To Nigeria Bribes / What To Expect At FRSC Driver's License Capturing Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.