Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,767 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise (14774 Views)

My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by wakes: 6:54pm On Apr 06, 2017
I don't think they will evict you like that except for the area boys.
If you have a family, kindly make arrangements to relocate them to a safer place.
Na naija we dey.

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by forandy(m): 6:55pm On Apr 06, 2017
Smh... This eviction thing.

Oga landlord seems to be an ardent follower of BBN
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by janefarms2015: 6:58pm On Apr 06, 2017
Op, the new landlord resulted to using goverment agency to commit illegality, please note that they may not obey the court order restraining them, though you will definitely be compesated at the end of the day if you are forcefully ejected, but think about the suffering, physical and emotional, your family will go through if you are forcefully ejected. My advice is for you to find an accomodation elsewhere which of cause will still be the case at the end of the day, while you continue to take the matter legally with co-tenants in law courts, goodluck!

2 Likes

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by peacekante: 6:58pm On Apr 06, 2017
vickylala239:

Kindly note that a landlord has every right by law to evict his tenant even if you paid to day..

The law gives him the right to give u notice from court to evict Any of his tenant,depending on the rent terms..

The law gives him the right to return the funds...

SO be Sure he gave u right notice the notice should be enough for you to get another apartment...

Yearly tenancy is entitle to 6mnths notice..

Half paymnt tenant 3mnths..

The rest is monthly...

Goodluck....

Rather than go fighting your landlord. Try searching for a new place,he Dnt Jst want you to leave that place, God knows why....I believe God is sending you to meet What you Hv been praying for..
In otherword God knows best!!!!!!

Mean while for THOSE who need platform for financial stability should contact me through my number below!!!!! WHATSAPP alone........information is power
the fact is that the new landlord did not even serve us a notice, he only pasted the notice through his lawyer. besides the did not even come to discuss how they will refund the prepayment of the remaining rent. meanwhile, the building is in goodshape. just needed repainting

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by sapientia(m): 6:58pm On Apr 06, 2017
Some Lawyers are very greedy. They know what to do but will keep quiet. A landlord threatended you with area boys and touts and the lawyer you hired is not doing anything. Better look for a lawyer with your interest at heart.

If your rent has not expired, use the remaining time to look for house elsewhere.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by achieverme(m): 6:59pm On Apr 06, 2017
vickylala239:

Kindly note that a landlord has every right by law to evict his tenant even if you paid to day..

The law gives him the right to give u notice from court to evict Any of his tenant,depending on the rent terms..

SO be Sure he gave u right notice the notice should be enough for you to get another apartment...

The rest is monthly...

Goodluck....

Rather than go fighting your landlord. Try searching for a new place,he Dnt Jst want you to leave that place, God knows why....I believe God is sending you to meet What you Hv been praying for..

Mean while for THOSE who need platform for financial stability should contact me through my number below!!!!! WHATSAPP alone........information is power

I doubt if the tenants would be shouting if the landlord has given them refund
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by otipoju(m): 7:01pm On Apr 06, 2017
This is one of the reasons why Nigeria will continue to find it hard to progress. We are too evil minded and oppressive. Is it government that caused this one again?

Proper thing to do is to refund the tenants.

The new owner is aware of this but will rather punish the innocent tenants instead of having empathy with them and chastising the dubiousness if the former owner.

The old owner is aware of this but will rather cheat the innocent tenants and let them face threat to their lives. Their offence is that they paid him tent in good faith.

He sold his house at a profit and collected funds enough to reimburse those the new tenants that he collected rent from and refund the balance of the old tenants if they want them to vacate the premises.

The thugs too instead of them to refuse to fight for an unjust cause, their greed has clouded their conscience and they will harm innocent people.

Later when some people suddenly run mad or get incurable sickness, they will say we should have mercy on them.

3 Likes

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by Lexusgs430: 7:02pm On Apr 06, 2017
peacekante:
PLEASE I NEED ADVICE

Hello nairalanders,
Pardon my long write up

I write with so much pain and uncertainty of what will be in 3days time

The apartment i stay with my family was sold to a new landlord and ever since that building was sold, all the tenants in the apartment have been tormented by the new landlord. let me furnish the you with the history of what has transpired since the former landlord sold to the new landlord. On august 2017, news were flying that our compound has been sold to a new buyer. on hearing the news, we contacted the former landlord to know if it were true. the former landlord told us it was a lie that if we see anyone coming to claim the building, we should inform him. 2weeks later, the rumor turned out to be true. When we contacted the former landlord again, he admitted that the building have been sold but he will come with the buyer and introduce to the tenants.

Iimmediately we demanded that our receipt for payment be given to us cos he had not issued us receipt for payment and he refused. 2weeks passed and he did not come with the new buyer instead a 6months notice to quit the compound starting from November 2016 to April 2017 was pasted on the gate of the compound in October 29 by the lawyer of the new buyer.

After it was posted we responded by employ a lawyer. So the lawyer had to first meet the old landlord to issue us our receipt which he did 4days later. After which the lawyer file a case @ the magistrate court to restrain the new landlord from evicting us .

Note that in the compound, about 5 tenants are new tenants and their rent will run till the end of 2017 and early 2018. Also note that while the rumur was flying about the sale of the house, the former landlord collected rent from3 tenants.

While the case was on at the magistrate court the new land lord and the old landlord refuse to appear in court. fast forward to last month, Lagos state building agency came to our compound to paste a notice stating that the compound needs to be rehabilitated withing the next 21 days starting from march 22nd else they will take action.

Then on the 2nd of April, another notice from the same Agency giving us 7days to vacate the building for the new landlord's in ability to rehabilitate the building. After the seven days notice was pasted, our lawyer filed a case against the agency and also got an injunction against them from the magistrate court.

My fear now is if the agency or the new landlord will respect court order because the new landlord has been boasting that come rain come shine he must bring down the building and he has been threatening all the tenants with area boys cos they keep coming to the compound.

PLEASE HELP WITH MEANINGFUL ADVICE

Await your day in court. Don't be bullied out, if landlord forcefully evicts you, the books would be thrown at him or the agency
NB: Not unless Ambode's thug do not respect court orders. I presume the agency was sent a copy of the injunction?

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by peacekante: 7:14pm On Apr 06, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Await your day in court. Don't be bullied out, if landlord forcefully evicts you, the books would be thrown at him or the agency
NB: Not unless Ambode's thug do not respect court orders. I presume the agency was sent a copy of the injunction?
yes the lawyer have served the agency.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 06, 2017
peacekante:
PLEASE I NEED ADVICE

Hello nairalanders,
Pardon my long write up

The apartment i stay with my family was sold to a new landlord and ever since that building was sold, all the tenants in the apartment have been tormented by the new landlord. let me furnish the you with the history of what has transpired since the former landlord sold to the new landlord. On august 2017, news were flying that our compound has been sold to a new buyer. on hearing the news, we contacted the former landlord to know if it were true. the former landlord told us it was a lie that if we see anyone coming to claim the building, we should inform him. 2weeks later, the rumor turned out to be true. When we contacted the former landlord again, he admitted that the building have been sold but he will come with the buyer and introduce to the tenants.

Iimmediately we demanded that our receipt for payment be given to us cos he had not issued us receipt for payment and he refused. 2weeks passed and he did not come with the new buyer instead a 6months notice to quit the compound starting from November 2016 to April 2017 was pasted on the gate of the compound in October 29 by the lawyer of the new buyer.

After it was posted we responded by employ a lawyer. So the lawyer had to first meet the old landlord to issue us our receipt which he did 4days later. After which the lawyer file a case @ the magistrate court to restrain the new landlord from evicting us .

Note that in the compound, about 5 tenants are new tenants and their rent will run till the end of 2017 and early 2018. Also note that while the rumur was flying about the sale of the house, the former landlord collected rent from3 tenants.

While the case was on at the magistrate court the new land lord and the old landlord refuse to appear in court. fast forward to last month, Lagos state building agency came to our compound to paste a notice stating that the compound needs to be rehabilitated withing the next 21 days starting from march 22nd else they will take action.

Then on the 2nd of April, another notice from the same Agency giving us 7days to vacate the building for the new landlord's in ability to rehabilitate the building. After the seven days notice was pasted, our lawyer filed a case against the agency and also got an injunction against them from the magistrate court.

My fear now is if the agency or the new landlord will respect court order because the new landlord has been boasting that come rain come shine he must bring down the building and he has been threatening all the tenants with area boys cos they keep coming to the compound.

I HAVE HANDLED THIS BEFORE.... I LIKE THIS KIND OF TROUBLE... I SWEAR. THE LANDLORD SLEPT IN JAIL. PAID MONEY AND THE PERSON I FOUGHT FOR SPENT 6 MONTHS WITHOUT PAYING.. PLS PM ME LET ME LOAD YOU WITH THE STRATEGIES.. EASY BEANS
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by Lexusgs430: 7:21pm On Apr 06, 2017
peacekante:
yes the lawyer have served the agency.

Unfortunately its a waiting game. Try and find out if the court can offer you other levels of protection...........
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by mayorkyzo: 7:24pm On Apr 06, 2017
The best advise could give to you is to ask the new landlord for your balance of rent owed and if you have the cash get a new apartment...no matter any court you go to it would only DELAY your moving..at the end of the day you would pack and must have spent a fortune on legal fees...
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 7:35pm On Apr 06, 2017
vickylala239:

The rest is monthly...

Goodluck....

Oga just keep quiet and stop talking about something you know nothing about

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by ArchEnemy(m): 7:38pm On Apr 06, 2017
Tritri:
@peacekante

Since no one want to advice you ..let me give you a hint.

If you've the money ..Just go and rent a new house.That is if you have the money and want to avoid trouble.

I know how this case will end..The new landlord will employ tout or soldier to beat or harass anyone seen in the compound.

The amount your lawyer will charge will be enough to even rent a new place at the end of the case . Ofwhich after ur rent expire u would still go look for another money to rent house.

Most cases like this has landed tenant and landlord at police station...some hospital...imagine landlord bringing touts to beat and stab u on the head or stomac only for them to be arrested and bailed at the station for 50k naira?

My final advice..If ur single guyz..then stay and face it..But if u have families pls just save urself and move out the end result is not good..
Lol
Not a funny matter though
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by Itsandrew: 7:48pm On Apr 06, 2017
peacekante:
PLEASE I NEED ADVICE

Hello nairalanders,
Pardon my long write up

If your rent is still on, note that rent paid to an old or former landlord is valid for the stated period of your tenancy agreement and you have right to 6 month notices to quit though depending on the type of your tenancy. And no landlord has the right to force you out of apartment because the law is totally against it. The new landlord has to wait till the expiration of all the tenants rent before he can take full possession of the property.

Visit http://onomerealtor..com.ng/2017/03/unlawful-ejectment-or-recovery-of.html

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by divinelove(m): 7:52pm On Apr 06, 2017
peacekante:
PLEASE I NEED ADVICE

Hello nairalanders,
Pardon my long write up

Yawns

This is a bit complicated

If a lawyer can't help u who else can?

All u shld be asking of is time n ur balance of rent BC u r bound to vacate the house
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by MASTERCC: 8:03pm On Apr 06, 2017
The new landlord have nothing with the tenant. He have the right to do what seemeth good to him in his building.
Look for old landlord n collect your balance n start looking for house else where.
Forget about our lawyer matter.... He's a business man looking for money to feed his family.
Don't waste your money bro. No matter what people may tell you.
Thanks.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by chloride6: 8:04pm On Apr 06, 2017
Your saving grace is that you didn't collect receipt.

Go and carry that old landlord to court for fraud.

He will then issue receipt and give you balance.

Your case is defeated here because that house is deemed unfit to live in.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by millhouse: 8:05pm On Apr 06, 2017
good one Mr landlord.. these days tenants can be a pain in d as... maybe they have always been dribbling the landlord when their rent is due.. hiding under the Lagos state tenant act to protect them.. I am having experience with one of my tenants now.. making Me have regrets of letting my flat to him. his rent is due since March and he comes up with a story that he invested his money in MMM thus having cash constrains I am like' Oga tenant Pls MMM crashed in December and this is March.. is he telling me that it is my rent money he went to put in MMM? he has become evasive.. mainwhile I heard he threw larvish party for his child 's dedication few weeks back. I have also seen this too in Abuja when my uncle sold his house he had tenants and am like uncle why? his response was' tenants were frustrating him not paying and even one took him to court when he tried to evict him.. so I don't pity tenants or your case.. if u no Wan wahala go and build your own house. shikena.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by Nobody: 8:05pm On Apr 06, 2017
How can you pay rent and not collect receipt? The way it stands now, you don't even have a proof of payment so your old landlord can say you have outstanding obligations and thus should be evicted.

On no account must a tenant 1) pay rent and not collect receipt 2) pay rent and not have the receipt dated properly.

If you do these two things, you are opening yourself to all sorts of difficulties when you jam wicked and god-forsaken landlords.

My landlord tried shit with me while my rent was still running. Like I had 8 months left on my current rent and he said he wanted to evict me without just cause. I did not even bother myself, I just asked my younger brother to capture the footage on three occassions when he came to my flat to make noise.

Along with my receipt and other documents, I hired a lawyer who sued his poor ass for harrasment and assault. The judge placed a moratorium on my rent payment, after several adjournments running into almost two years, he was fined N150K or three months jail time. The mothafucka paid. Mind you, I lived rent free for 16 months.

I was victorious because I always go the extra mile to gather supporting documents in anything that I do, in this your case, it is only the good heart of the new buyer that can stave you from imminent eviction.

peacekante

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by ElsonMorali: 8:05pm On Apr 06, 2017
So the two landlords were served court summons and they refused to show? Isn't that contempt of court?

Anyway, If your lawyer has the summons of court with him, he should show the Lagos state building authority or whoever is threatening to evict you that the case is in court.

Your lawyer may need to file an injunction to stop any renovation or eviction of tenants.

But I should suppose that your lawyer knows this already.

Call a meeting ASAP and ask your lawyer about the progress so far and what he intends to do about the threat of eviction hanging over your heads.

If your lawyer files for an injunction and the court court grants stay, hopefully the Lagos government will ignore it and go ahead with it's plan.

Then you can sue the state for a very handsome fee running into millions, enough for you to build your own house. cool

If your lawyer is slow fire him and hire a sharper one.

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by Nobody: 8:07pm On Apr 06, 2017
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by vickylala239: 8:09pm On Apr 06, 2017
peacekante:
the fact is that the new landlord did not even serve us a notice, he only pasted the notice through his lawyer. besides the did not even come to discuss how they will refund the prepayment of the remaining rent. meanwhile, the building is in goodshape. just needed repainting

A lawyer can paste notice!!!

and No notice is immediately SO u Hv tym..

As for refund u WILL discuss it in court....Cuz refund shuld be as @ the tym u finally pack out...

It does not matter whether is in shape or not....What the landlord did is lawful...

If he had cum with Ppl to chase u guys out Dats a different tin,Bt a notice is serve...

Check the notice Hw Mny mnth is given to u
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by Nobody: 8:09pm On Apr 06, 2017
Dear peacekante

I suggest you and other affected tenants escalate the issue to other agencies of government. I advise that you contact the Citizen's Mediation Centre, they handle such issues. Also petiton the Commissioner of Police on the threat of violence and presence of area boys.

Have a lawyer advice you on the propriety of the building agency's action, if its merely a hoax, as I suspect it is, forward a petiton to the Comm. for Urban and Physical planning, the Attorney General of the state; briefing them on illegal activity of the agency.

This would make them know that you cannot be easily bullied.

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by Nedsnow(m): 8:10pm On Apr 06, 2017
Weezypro:
Sir I honestly think, the tenants shouid report the case at the police station too. . Since the new landlord is treating you guys with area boys. . The police should also be make to invit the old land lord to station. Becouse is the cox of all the problem. He was sopposed to return the monay back. Even if it is not evrything.
Sorry my brother. It's like I am not understanding you. Report where please?
Don't​ be surprised if at the end of the day, the police also start harassing the tenants with stupid and unlawful threats. It's better to report your case to ordinary vigilantes than Nigeria Police Force.
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by donsheva: 8:14pm On Apr 06, 2017
you also made a mistake of not collecting rceipt when you paid to your former landlord. Guess you took it for granted
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by castrol180(m): 8:15pm On Apr 06, 2017
It is either you meet with human right activists or mediators of this kind of issues on radio or television...one Kunle Hamzat is an expert in this line of practice. He works with Petals FM.

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by vickylala239: 8:15pm On Apr 06, 2017
peacekante:
PLEASE I NEED ADVICE

Hello nairalanders,
Pardon my long write up

You were given 6mnths notice but leave u say u No wan leave..

Shebi na Dat house b d only house in Nigeria..

Why Nt fight ur case outside d house..

Nigeria No get law,they kill u Ppl WILL still drink beer...

No magistrate WILL close eye for money, if a judge cnt who s a magistrate
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by peacekante: 8:17pm On Apr 06, 2017
WriteBoy:
How can you pay rent and not collect receipt? The way it stands now, you don't even have a proof of payment so your old landlord can say you have outstanding obligations and thus should be evicted.

On no account must a tenant 1) pay rent and not collect receipt 2) pay rent and not have the receipt dated properly.

If you do these two things, you are opening yourself to all sorts of difficulties when you jam wicked and god-forsaken landlords.

My landlord tried shit with me while my rent was still running. Like I had 8 months left on my current rent and he said he wanted to evict me without just cause. I did not even bother myself, I just asked my younger brother to capture the footage on three occassions when he came to my flat to make noise.

Along with my receipt and other documents, I hired a lawyer who sued his poor ass for harrasment and assault. The judge placed a moratorium on my rent payment, after several adjournments running into almost two years, he was fined N150K or three months jail time. The mothafucka paid. Mind you, I lived rent free for 16 months.

I was victorious because I always go the extra mile to gather supporting documents in anything that I do, in this your case, it is only the good heart of the new buyer that can stave you from imminent eviction.

peacekante we have already collected the receipt feom rhe old landlord
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by peacekante: 8:24pm On Apr 06, 2017
donsheva:
you also made a mistake of not collecting rceipt when you paid to your former landlord. Guess you took it for granted
We have collected our receipt from the old landlord after our lawyer approach him
Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by mfm04622: 8:29pm On Apr 06, 2017
buygala:
You can sue that your old landlord for breach of contract and claim damages in millions...since you already have a lawyer, please contact him on how to proceed on that if you so wish.

But You can't proceed against the new landlord because there is no contract between both of you. ....he is just doing what is needful to possess his possession.

You already have a lawyer who from your narration, knows what he is doing smiley....if you still feel he isn't diligent enough, pay him his outstanding fees and get a new one ...

Cheers cool

When anybody buy a property, he buys both assets and liabilities. The new landlord is the successor in title to the old landlord. He is bound to respect the rent agreement between the old landlord and the tenant. That is the law. If the new landlord really want to evict them legally he should have given them 6 months notice and paid them balance of their rents

1 Like

Re: Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise by buygala(m): 8:31pm On Apr 06, 2017
mfm04622:

When anybody buy a property, he buys both assets and liabilities. The new landlord is the successor in title to the old landlord. He is bound to respect the rent agreement between the old landlord and the tenant. That is the law. If the new landlord really want to evict them legally he should have given them 6 months notice and paid them balance of their rents

We learn everyday Sir

What law are you referring to Sir? smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fire Outbreak At Mile 2 Estate (PHOTO) / Floods Submerge 20 Houses, Render 1,000 Homeless In Akwa Ibom / Good Recipe For Building Success.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.