Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,737 members, 7,802,219 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN (29607 Views)

Banks To Pay N10,000 Fine For Failed Transaction Not Reversed Within 24hrs / Fines: CBN Deducts N5.61bn From Accounts Of Three Banks / Three Banks To Take Over Etisalat Nigeria Over N541.8 Billion Debt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Adesiji77: 6:05pm On Apr 06, 2017
The Financial Stability Report released by the Central Bank of Nigeria for December 2016 revealed that three banks in the country failed a Capital Adequacy Ratio (CAR) test in the event of a default in inter-bank lending. Inter-bank lending is borrowing between two banks. Two of the banks were Systemically Important Banks (SIBs). However, none of the banks involved were mentioned in the report.

SIBs are those classified as too big to fail by the CBN. They include First Bank, Zenith Bank, GTBank, Access Bank, UBA, Skye Bank and Diamond Bank. Of the SIBs, Skye Bank, Diamond and First Bank are yet to release financial statements for the year ended December 2016.

CAR is the ratio of a banks capital to loan exposure. It is also known as Capital to Risk Assets Ratio (CRAR). A fall in the adequacy ratio means that the affected banks may have difficulty in meeting short term needs. The CAR for commercial banks in the country is set at 10% for national banks, 15% for banks with international subsidiaries and 16% for SIBs. The deficient banks will thus be required to raise extra capital.

The report also revealed that smaller banks in the country were more exposed to a risk of default in the oil and gas sector, and that the banking industry as a whole would fall below CAR requirements if there was a 200% spike in non performing loans (NPLs).

Though the CBN stated in the report that the banking industry was safe and sound, the industry had a very challenging year 2016. The economic recession, drop in crude oil prices as well as the looming power sector crisis left banks in the country exposed on several fronts. Some analysts are of the opinion that a newer version of AMCON (or AMCON 2) should be set up to take off bad loans from the banks. Similar stress tests conducted by erstwhile CBN governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi led to the takeover of five banks by the CBN and creation of AMCON. Other banks were asked to shore up their capital base.

http://nairametrics.com/cbn-the-three-banks-that-have-just-failed-capital-adequacy-test/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by MrRichy(m): 6:07pm On Apr 06, 2017
thank God say fidelity no dey there...

1 Like

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by emeijeh(m): 7:06pm On Apr 06, 2017
Which one be CAT again
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by kings09(m): 7:08pm On Apr 06, 2017
Mention the banks make I go move my money if I get account wit dem. Wat sort of useless CBN be dis sef?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 06, 2017
Thank God, Atiba Iyalamu Microfinance bank was certified OK

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Blurry: 7:08pm On Apr 06, 2017
Mention their names na. Una dey fear run ba!

1 Like

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Bigsteveg(m): 7:08pm On Apr 06, 2017
Names pls.......

1 Like

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Repairnigeria(m): 7:08pm On Apr 06, 2017
nawa
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by tunjijones(m): 7:08pm On Apr 06, 2017
MrRichy:
thank God say fidelity no dey there...

Did u even read d post at all?

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by ArchEnemy(m): 7:09pm On Apr 06, 2017
Lol
Came to check up on heritage bank too
Heard they were having issues at a time
I cant allow my money to get trapped in any bank

1 Like

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by kollynxofodile(m): 7:09pm On Apr 06, 2017
GT BANK

Make nobody play wit my Mininum wage ooh

1 Like

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 06, 2017
Lemme guess .of the SIBs:
Skye
Diamond
Union( Forget that big, strong, reliable slogan, that one na stories that touch Buhari's kidneys. They have failed just like their number one customer - Buhari)
Oya BMC zombies coman beat me, I'm in club joker grin

10 Likes

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Sharon6(f): 7:09pm On Apr 06, 2017
I'm here to ask you to CHECK MY SIGNATURE!

1 Like

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by blessme2019(m): 7:10pm On Apr 06, 2017
Union Bank must follow for the 3

1 Like

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by tunjijones(m): 7:10pm On Apr 06, 2017
I wonder what the post is all about without mentioning the three banks!!!

1 Like

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 06, 2017
The report also revealed that smaller banks in the country were more exposed to a risk of default in the oil and gas sector, and that the banking industry as a whole would fall below CAR requirements if there was a 200% spike in non performing loans
Nigerians no dey ever like to repay loan. Yet they expect banks to give them funds...toor!

They shouldn't cripple the banking sector biko. Banking sector caters for a large number of the workforce and job seekers. Unemployment rate was at 2digits as at Q4 of 2016, due to how the economy affected companies _including banks. They didn't recruit, they downsized! If it continues like this...it's well smiley

1 Like

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by smartty68(m): 7:11pm On Apr 06, 2017
And First Bank be sending SMS how much they've deducted from my account on weekly bases. I don't understand what's the deduction for

So them dey take my money cover their deficiencies

#12 x 180million population = ?

Na wa o

1 Like

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by YourWife(f): 7:11pm On Apr 06, 2017
No name? Abeg mention their names, so we know whether na to port! No time to play ten-ten with money ooo...
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Timinho23: 7:11pm On Apr 06, 2017
Overall, its good news but the banks' identity is highly important.. my 5k in Skye bank is highly important oh

1 Like

Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by stevebond007(m): 7:12pm On Apr 06, 2017
Is it wrong for us to know the names of the Banks?
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by fergie001: 7:12pm On Apr 06, 2017
Blurry:
Mention their names na. Una dey fear run ba!
Hahahahahahahaha
Massive withdrawals
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Sunnynwa: 7:13pm On Apr 06, 2017
Skye bank, First bank and Heritage bank
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Awoo88: 7:15pm On Apr 06, 2017
When you see reports like this, be very scare if your change in any of the save bank is substantial
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by omololu2020(m): 7:15pm On Apr 06, 2017
olrotimi:
Lemme guess
I can never use that unity bank
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by iluvdonjazzy: 7:15pm On Apr 06, 2017
pls we need their names o, we no wan hear story dat touch, savana bank is still fresh in our memory.
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Kana80: 7:16pm On Apr 06, 2017
I know ECOBANK will fall hands. That Bank sef!
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Franchise21(m): 7:16pm On Apr 06, 2017
Hmm
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by iluvdonjazzy: 7:16pm On Apr 06, 2017
tunjijones:

Did u even read d post at all?
for were! dem dey green read again, na only picture dem dey read now, dont mind dem, dey are all educated illitrate now.
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 06, 2017
omololu2020:
I can never use that unity bank
Lol, that one na northerners bank. Them just dull like die
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 06, 2017
Awoo88:
When you see reports like this, be very scare if you change in any of the save bank is substantial
Just like the warning signs of when Ponzi schemes wanna crash, lol. This one na temple bank run oooooo
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by sapientia(m): 7:19pm On Apr 06, 2017
Still looking for what we are getting right in this country.
Re: Three Banks Failed Capital Adequacy Test - CBN by davide470(m): 7:21pm On Apr 06, 2017
Diamond na SIB?

grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Sure Lucrative Online Businesses You Can Start In 2018 / Robert Kiyosaki: His 'Rich Dad' Does 'Not Exist'? / Akwa Ibom Manufactures Toothpicks (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.