Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,420 members, 7,808,509 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! (48335 Views)

Thinking Of Venturing Into Piggery? / How To Start Pig Farming In Nigeria And Grow To Giant Piggery / A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by dynamix101(m): 8:12pm On Jun 05, 2017
stpat1:
The number you posted is not reachable.

Whatsapp only
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by nams77: 11:28pm On Jun 22, 2017
A beautiful mind! Op God bless you. There are so many arm-chair and online Farmers on this forum who are quick to sell ebooks and extort money from newbies. I was actually looking at goat rearing until I sat down with a friend who mentioned pig farming being more lucrative. He said the mother was into it then. I am planning on starting a farm shortly but I can't start it around my present location as it is purely residential area. My folks will be moving to the city outskirt and that is where I intend to set it up. I will be visiting twice or thrice weekly Because I have a Normal 9-5 job. I have always believed in starting small in any business endeavor. For goat then, I was thinking of two/three female and a male. I already know that money won't start rolling in until 1.5/ 2yrs. Op what do you think about goat farming (sorry to deviate a bit), I see them as hardy animals that can survive harsh conditions (don't know about pigs though). I'm am keeping my mind open. You also mentioned pig community. I don't think we have that around here(warri). Thanks once again. Following your thread keenly

1 Like

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by smithjacobs(m): 1:05am On Jun 24, 2017
wow nice one sir. GOD bless you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by Juliana7: 6:34pm On Jun 24, 2017
@op, thanks for dis thread. God bless u.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by dynamix101(m): 12:07am On Jun 25, 2017
nams77:
A beautiful mind! You also mentioned pig community. I don't think we have that around here(warri). Thanks once again. Following your thread keenly

Tanks..... Goat rearing is fantastic and its something i also want to venture into in the nearest future when we are fully settled with our piggery. They require lesser care and are relatively inexpensive to feed when u compare them with pigs or poultry (the craziest livestock to rear). You can rear them alongside your pigs and u can rear both eastern and northern breeds too.

As per your location, pig farming is nonexistent in warri. I know this because buyers come to Okearo and Ikorodu from Warri and load specially constructed trucks with animals to sell down there. I dont know why there arent piggeries but i believe u have a real ready hungry starving and underserved market. You need a very long term deliberate strategy to keep u on the front edge of the market there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by nams77: 7:47pm On Jun 28, 2017
dynamix101:

Tanks..... Goat rearing is fantastic and its something i also want to venture into in the nearest future when we are fully settled with our piggery. They require lesser care and are relatively inexpensive to feed when u compare them with pigs or poultry (the craziest livestock to rear). You can rear them alongside your pigs and u can rear both eastern and northern breeds too.

As per your location, pig farming is nonexistent in warri. I know this because buyers come to Okearo and Ikorodu from Warri and load specially constructed trucks with animals to sell down there. I dont know why there arent piggeries but i believe u have a real ready hungry starving and underserved market. You need a very long term deliberate strategy to keep u on the front edge of the market there.
I intend starting small. I'm always an apostle of organic growth. What's your take on me starting with two female pigs and a male for example? I may make inquiry and see if I can join them in the buying and selling, grin if my job will permit me
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by Otegazx(m): 12:11pm On Jul 14, 2017
this is cool adv,
vickifeanyi47:

Nice write up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by Otegazx(m): 12:26pm On Jul 14, 2017
good dAY. THANKS FOR THE meaningful advice you ve been giving on the platform. i am planning to set up a pig farm but i'm entirely a novice. please i will need your suggestion on a good place i can learn the husbandry before starting. i have limited cash so i need to get it right. i live in Delta. i will really appreciate info on cheap source of feeds.
thanks
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by Tmex(m): 11:04pm On Aug 29, 2017
Good work you are doing Mr Dynamics, please can you help with the prices of the weaners and of the growers at the moment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by toba1909(m): 11:58pm On Aug 29, 2017
dynamix101:

I have come again with my breed brouhaha. This is why wars are fought and enemies are eventually made. Pig farming and livestock rearing should be all about improving your strain and raising the best animals through your own special program. Buy normal cheap females and then the only animal you should spend premium cash on is a male because therein lies the key to your breeding program’s success. Aren’t all those exotic breeds an actualization of somebody’s dreams? Why not create your own superb breed yourself in 5-7 years?? We are doing that and we are getting terrific results. You should too.

Good Analysis on Piggery you've offered...... Kudos

Let me correct something about the Sow also, the set of teats(nipple) of the sow should be checked to be same number in each row. It is not only the boar that should be made emphasis on more.

4 Likes

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by llakes4real: 12:30am On Aug 30, 2017
dynamix101:
WEIGHT GAIN ISSUES
Numerous stories and views abound when it relates to what optimum weight your pigs should be at what point in time. It is distressing when after all you have done and all the ‘rules’ you followed, all the investments you have made towards achieving a particular market weight ends up in the gutter. Imagine the frustration you will feel knowing that it isn’t just working for you.
I have come with an entirely different viewpoint. All those stories about your animals attaining specific weights of over 100kg in 10 months when you feed them special compounded feeds and other such theories are just what they are; stories.
Pig farming like other ventures should be what it is- A business. We should strive to delete sentiments and treat it with objectivity and deal in timelines and milestones which should be measurable. Note the following as you enter the business:
1. Buy any breed of pigs to fatten (if that is where you want to operate) and buy females of any breed for breeding (if that’s what you want to do). The only thing to do is ensure that the animals you are acquiring aren’t runts and that they are good looking and well-formed. For this you need someone who is capable of spotting the differences in animals and ensure that you get the best animals to stock your herd with.
2. Feed your animals well. Compound feeds for them which should form the main part of their diets. Corn is the cornerstone of any livestock’s diet and it is contained in the compounded feed. You can supplement their diet with cassava pellets or peels (paki), brewery spent grains and Palm kernel cake (PKC) to ensure their daily weight intake is achieved.
3. Once your animals are well fed, your target weight should be 55-60kg within 8 months. If they attain that weight before they get to 8 months, good. Once you achieve 55-60kg weight, dispose of them and start all over. There should be no sentiments attached and no crying over large weights; the more you keep them, the more they eat and the greater your loss. Remember that this is a business we intend doing for a very long time and we intend to maximize returns. If your breeding program sets and you get bigger weights, kudos to u; but for now let us keep it simple.
4. Once your females get to 8 months old, you should cross them with your exotic breed males. Assuming they should attain a certain weight before they are crossed is funny because like I said earlier, the key to a healthy numerous litter lies mostly with the male. For this reason, you should be willing to spend more to acquire superb males.
You can forward integrate and control the entire supply chain by getting involved in butchering and selling either directly to individuals or supplying companies. Assuming live weight costs 450/kg while pork costs 1000/kg (these are the current standard prices on-site), a 60kg pig would sell at 27, 000. But once butchered, after the hair, blood, innards, feet and head have been removed (the innards, feet and head will also be sold); you will be left with approximately 32kg. This would amount to 32, 000 if sold to individuals or 35, 200 - 38, 400 if sold to companies (1,100-1,200/kg). Imagine the immense profits you could corner if you engage directly in it. This is a very deep and closely guarded secret and one that I have been engaged in for the better part of 2 years.
You can also backward integrate by leasing acres of farm lands and planting maize and cassava. This will drastically cut your feeding costs and ensure higher quality of feeds because you can decide to feed them with cassava chips, which are highly nutritious, instead of peels.

Thank you for this information! Can one lease land in that Oke Aro Farms?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by Nickibeauty(f): 12:42pm On Aug 31, 2017
thanks so much op , Pls where is oke aro farms locatated ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by dynamix101(m): 6:24pm On Oct 24, 2017
llakes4real:

Thank you for this information! Can one lease land in that Oke Aro Farms?

sorry i have been away for a while.
No, you cant lease land at Oke-aro. you can only lease pens

1 Like

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by dynamix101(m): 6:25pm On Oct 24, 2017
Nickibeauty:
thanks so much op , Pls where is oke aro farms locatated ?

In Ogun State
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by llakes4real: 9:11pm On Oct 24, 2017
dynamix101:

okay, thank you.

1 Like

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by Gadgetmobil(m): 1:45pm On Oct 26, 2017
following
Pple can actually come together to buy land in Delta and start a Piggery community

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by Sleemut09: 4:33pm On Oct 27, 2017
Pls add me on WhatsApp 08064880945

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by dynamix101(m): 4:56pm On Oct 28, 2017
Gadgetmobil:
following
Pple can actually come together to buy land in Delta and start a Piggery community

Very good idea. Delta is the destination market for pork. look around for likeminded individuals and willing investors, put together a business plan and i wish you success
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by FarmTech(m): 6:09pm On Oct 29, 2017
toba1909:

Good Analysis on Piggery you've offered...... Kudos

Let me correct something about the Sow also, the set of teats(nipple) of the sow should be checked to be same number in each row. It is not only the boar that should be made emphasis on more.
To add, female body wt is v. Imp since it influences body wt and delivery. A female that is too small wrt piglets weight will hav problem giving birth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by FarmTech(m): 6:13pm On Oct 29, 2017
dynamix101:

I once visited Okearo back in 2012. There I saw how big a big can be. What do u guys currently do with the pig manure?

1 Like

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by dynamix101(m): 6:16pm On Oct 30, 2017
FarmTech:

I once visited Okearo back in 2012. There I saw how big a big can be. What do u guys currently do with the pig manure?

there is a big gully where the wastes are washed into. farmers also come to clear some.
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by dynamix101(m): 6:17pm On Oct 30, 2017
FarmTech:

To add, female body wt is v. Imp since it influences body wt and delivery. A female that is too small wrt piglets weight will hav problem giving birth.

grin some sows will surprise you.
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by FarmTech(m): 12:36am On Oct 31, 2017
dynamix101:

there is a big gully where the wastes are washed into. farmers also come to clear some.
Yes! I saw the gully when I came. How I wish u people will make better use of it.
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by FarmTech(m): 12:39am On Oct 31, 2017
dynamix101:

grin some sows will surprise you.
To be on the safe side, put sow wt into the equation.
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by dynamix101(m): 3:49pm On Nov 02, 2017
FarmTech:

Yes! I saw the gully when I came. How I wish u people will make better use of it.

cheesy abeg to do what?
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by dynamix101(m): 4:00pm On Nov 02, 2017
FarmTech:

long time no see you bro. how is business?
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by femauto(m): 2:13pm On Nov 06, 2017
your number is not reachable. drop your direct contact so we can call u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by dynamix101(m): 6:48pm On Nov 06, 2017
femauto:
your number is not reachable. drop your direct contact so we can call u

you can call me on 08189051586
Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by dynamix101(m): 7:18pm On Dec 22, 2017
Good evening all. I hope your piggery adventure has been going well.

My next post is one that will be of great benefit to, not only farmers, but to everyone who wants to share and have a piece of this national pig cake grin

Watch this space and follow this thread so you wont be left out.

1 Like

Re: Before You Venture Into Piggery, Read This!!! by babniyen(m): 9:21pm On Dec 22, 2017
Waiting.. Thanks for the heads up..

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Many Bags Of Feed Do U Need To Raise 300 Broiler To 7 Weeks / Sack Farming From Start / Orange Tree Bears Tangerines In Osun (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.