Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup (19206 Views)

How To Make Seafood Okra (photos) / Nigerian Vegetable Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Healthy Vegetable Stew / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by Mrjo(m): 7:36pm On Apr 07, 2017
adedayoa2:
surprise catch me too
and pepper add more pepper and more pepper
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by goonsmi: 7:39pm On Apr 07, 2017
Godprotectigbo5:
but okro is not yoruba food, dats ibo food soup even the name originated from ibo language

Inferiority complex will always cause you people to keep on disgracing yourselves in public. You mean "OKRO" is now ibo language

Yorubas have a local name for it which the op already included but in your attempt to believe everything start and end from the Iboland you're telling us the word "Okro" is Igbo language.

3 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by mich24(m): 8:00pm On Apr 07, 2017
Emmaesty:
Haba..... Baking soda in Okro? What will I not see

Do you know I saw potash there?
My gosh, this people can't kill me before my time.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by Emmaesty(f): 8:02pm On Apr 07, 2017
mich24:

Do you know I saw potash there?
My gosh, this people can't kill me before my time.
My brother... ..... The matter sef tire me
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by MayorMgbedike(m): 8:04pm On Apr 07, 2017
Baking soda and akaun ?

This one Na chemical weapon. The presence of this chemical in the soup has rubbished every other thing.

Ops needs to go back to catering school.

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by mich24(m): 8:09pm On Apr 07, 2017
Emmaesty:
My brother... ..... The matter sef tire me

The thing really wick me I must confess, okro that needs a tender cocking na im person they add potash.

No wonder Yoruba men tend to eat from mama Nkechi instead of mama awolabi.
I give up

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by olaoge(m): 8:30pm On Apr 07, 2017
Not even IRU (LOCUST BEANS) Yet you called it Ila Alasepo... I disagree, this one na okro soup @OP
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by Israelconcepts: 8:31pm On Apr 07, 2017
pepper dem gang
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by Nobody: 8:53pm On Apr 07, 2017
Godprotectigbo5:
but okro is not yoruba food, dats ibo food soup even the name originated from ibo language
dont start o
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by Freethought(m): 8:59pm On Apr 07, 2017
If you eat this ila alasepo cooked by my mum, walai, yur life will neva remain d same again.

Infact, sometyms, I feel lik visiting my mum just to have a taste of that ila alasepo
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by blaise00700(m): 9:01pm On Apr 07, 2017
OP this your soup is more like my secondary school chemistry experiment grin
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by mrjaybaba(m): 9:05pm On Apr 07, 2017
Am salivating ..............................

Oh lalalalalalaala
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by Jboynokiaphone(m): 9:40pm On Apr 07, 2017
Don't know why I just hate this soup ...
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by DeLaRue: 9:45pm On Apr 07, 2017
Godprotectigbo5:

Ofcourse Okra is not an Igbo food. It is eaten around the globe, and I believe it may have originated in Asia.

Yorubas have been eating ila (okro) for ages.

The true Yoruba ila alasepo is quite an extraordinary food. Absolutely sumptuous and fantastically tasty.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by Victorclean1: 9:50pm On Apr 07, 2017
This not the yoruba okro soup I see often in Lagos. Yoruba okro is very greenish in colour and slimy without oil which they add stew to eat. Most of yoruba foods were very poor and except efo riro, but is very good that yorubas were now adding other people's food culture to improve their food. This okro food explained above is a combination of Ibo okro and South South okro soup.

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by Ozoneman: 10:07pm On Apr 07, 2017
Victorclean1:
This not the yoruba okro soup I see often in Lagos. Yoruba okro is very greenish in colour and slimy without oil which they add stew to eat. Most of yoruba foods were very poor and except efo riro, but is very good that yorubas were now adding other people's food culture to improve their food. This okro food explained above is a combination of Ibo okro and South South okro soup.

My bro me sef don tire oh. The only Obe ila I know of is the greenish one.

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by Yyeske(m): 10:35pm On Apr 07, 2017
This isn't the original Yoruba okro soup, OP just added some influences from other tribes and heck, did i just see akaun and baking soda powder here. Who taught you how to cook sef, definitely not your mum

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by AjiChris(f): 10:40pm On Apr 07, 2017
Not @ dis point of reccession ah!
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by Probz(m): 11:20pm On Apr 07, 2017
Jboynokiaphone:
Don't know why I just hate this soup ...
Why won't you hate it when Yoruba women blend raw tomato and ewedu leaves?
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by kinah(f): 11:34pm On Apr 07, 2017
in my preparation of ilaalasepo/lasee. I don't need akaun(potash). I just bleach the palmoil abit. abit ni o. add the diced okro. add meat broth or water. then all the orisirisi. and my lasee is ready. very fast no dulling
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by ariyebaba(m): 11:35pm On Apr 07, 2017
Na to dey slice the Eba and take carry the okro with those meat na so e go dey go siri we re re

Chai ! The food dey sweet die

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Make u na join me ooooo

Food don land grin

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by bigfrancis21: 12:00am On Apr 08, 2017
goonsmi:

Inferiority complex will always cause you people to keep on disgracing yourselves in public. You mean "OKRO" is now ibo language

Yorubas have a local name for it which the op already included but in your attempt to believe everything start and end from the Iboland you're telling us the word "Okro" is Igbo language.

Actually, 'okro' is the Anglicised word for 'okwuru', borrowed from Igbo language, the name carried over by Igbo slaves during slavery, from which 'okra'k stuck. It is also called gumbo here in the US by blacks, gumbo coming from the Angolan word, ngombo. Not the soup itself, which may have existed with each tribe (igbo and yoruba, called okwuru and ila respectively) but the origin of the English word for it, okra.

Which one, exactly, is a little contentious: some think it was named after the flie powder, called kombo by the Choctaw native to the Louisiana region, but most sources support the idea that gumbo gets its name from the Angolan word ngombo, which just meant "okra." The English word "okra" itself comes from Igbo, another African language (largely spoken in Nigeria), which called the sticky plant okuru. Both the name and the plant came across the Atlantic by the early 18th century, and had made it as far north as Philadelphia by the 1740s.

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/the-etymology-of-gumbo-okra-and-oysters

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by placeofallure(f): 12:24am On Apr 08, 2017
Still my favourite soup. Growing up, I am not a fan of Amala but my mum has a way of making me eat it. She will say " O j'amala? Ila ma ni! Then, I'll make a U-turn sharply. God bless all mothers. It's easy and quick to prepare.

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by happyheart(f): 1:59am On Apr 08, 2017
Godprotectigbo5:
Lol it's not an Igbo soup ooo and the name worldwide is okra..we only bastardized it to okro in Africa.
Even Ghanaians and other English speaking African countries call it okro.

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by obiezed: 2:32am On Apr 08, 2017
happyheart:

Lol it's not an Igbo soup ooo and the name worldwide is okra..we only bastardized it to okro in Africa.
Even Ghanaians and other English speaking African countries call it okro.
Sorry to burst your bubble,but the English word 'okra" was actually gotten form the Igbo name for the plant 'okwuru'.the soup may have existed in both peoples,but the word originated from the Igbo word for it.Igbo slaves took it to the Americas.ask Google.

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by justmenoni: 4:09am On Apr 08, 2017
Op, that ain't a correct ila alasepo.. where's your locust beans or ogiri? Where's your ponmo, panla? ...

For an upgraded version of ila alasepo add bitter leaf, spinach and mint leaves tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by drewxx88(m): 12:08pm On Apr 08, 2017
KillerFrost:
Na so... But Egusi still kinging cool
A fan of "The flash" and a blue supporter too nice...
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by drewxx88(m): 12:18pm On Apr 08, 2017
Nice recipe...
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by happyheart(f): 8:14pm On Apr 18, 2017
obiezed:

Sorry to burst your bubble,but the English word 'okra" was actually gotten form the Igbo name for the plant 'okwuru'.the soup may have existed in both peoples,but the word originated from the Igbo word for it.Igbo slaves took it to the Americas.ask Google.
Really? Hmmm the igbos originated almost everything. Wow.
What if the Igbos bastardized okro and started calling it okwuru? Lol
Kidding.
Thanks for the correction.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Obe 'ila Alasepo'; Okra Soup by Probz(m): 9:24pm On Apr 18, 2017
happyheart:

Really? Hmmm the igbos originated almost everything. Wow.
What if the Igbos bastardized okro and started calling it okwuru? Lol
Kidding.
Thanks for the correction.
Okro did derive from okwuru though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Is GARRI In Your Area? / Easiest Way To Prepare Simple But Delicious Afang Soup (Video) / NAFDAC Bursts Counterfeit Moet, Chandon Wine, St. Remy Brandy, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.