Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,301 members, 7,780,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:04 PM

Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de (2043 Views)

How to save on cake lining paper. / Training On Cake / One Day Cake Making Class (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de by queendamicious(f): 10:36am On Apr 08, 2017
Hello everyone, Am Ogunlabi Damilola by name C.E.O qd cakesandmore I will like to take you through basic things you need to know as a beginner in making your desired cake.

WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN THIS CLASS INCLUDES 

Hints and tips on baking your cakes
Levelling and layering a cake the easy way
Filling your cake - how to avoid the dreaded bulge!
Working with sugar paste.
Colouring your paste without messy hands
Covering your cake including icing your cake board
Basic Piping skills and techniques
How to make bows

So let's get started

Chocolate Cake Recipe

1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
1 3/4 cup butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup, brewed, hot coffee(optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare two 8" pans (grease and flour, bake release or parchment paper). Sift flour and measure out 1 3/4 cups. To the flour, add baking soda, salt, baking powder and cocoa. Sift into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the sugar. Mix till combined (I used a wooden spoon) In a small bowl, combine butter eggs, and vanilla. Pour butter mixture into dry ingredients and beat just until smooth. Add coffee and mix just until incorporated. Divide batter evenly between the two pans. It will be runny, but don't worry, it is as it should be. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until a toothpick or knife stuck in the center of each cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pans for 10-15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Frost cakes as desired.

Ps: This recipe doubles perfectly. Just double all the ingredients.

Vanilla Cake Recipe

2 cups sugar (I use 1 1/2 cups of sugar)
4 eggs (I use 3 eggs, because I find 4 makes it taste eggy)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk 1 1/2cup butter(please do not use groundnut oil)
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of salt

METHOD
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line two 9-inch round cake pans with baking paper, or grease and flour them.
In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer,if you don't have a mixer,opt for the traditional method of using your wooden stick also called (omorogun) In yoruba but be sure to mix all the ingredients properly till the right consistency. beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the milk, oil, and vanilla into the sugar mix, beat well. Then pour the wet mix into the dry mix and beat for another minute, just until the batter is smooth and creamy. Don't over beat. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan(s).
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick poked into the center of the layer comes out. Loosen the sides of the cake from the pan with a thin knife, then turn out onto a rack and peel off the paper. Let cool completely before covering with frosting, if desired.

NB It is extremely important that your sugar measurement should be less than that of flour and butter. You wouldn't want the cake to be too sweetened do you?
Pls feel free to drop your comments Happy caking pals wink
Re: Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de by madgoat(m): 2:35pm On Apr 15, 2017
Okay
Re: Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de by keneharry: 5:42pm On Apr 15, 2017
Please how can someone ice?
Re: Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de by native2(f): 8:25pm On Apr 16, 2017
Thanks op. How do I participate in this training?
Re: Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de by queendamicious(f): 3:55pm On May 19, 2017
native2:
Thanks op. How do I participate in this training?

I will be posting free tutorials on this thread, sorry for the late reply.
Re: Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de by queendamicious(f): 3:57pm On May 19, 2017
keneharry:
Please how can someone ice?

Will post a guideline on fondant icing shortly. Thank you
Re: Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de by queendamicious(f): 3:59pm On May 19, 2017
How to cover a cake with Fondant icing
Prep your cake by stacking your layers and filling with jam or buttercream icing,(will do a tutorial on how to make buttercream icing some other time) then place on a cake turntable.
Measure across the top and sides of the cake, This will act as a guide for when you roll the icing out later.
Cover the cake generously with buttercream icing by piling it on top of the cake and easing it across the top and sides. Be sure to fill all the gaps when smoothing it down the sides. You can use your spatula during this process
Create smooth edges and sharp corners by turning and simultaneously smoothen the sides and top. You can place it in the fridge for few minutes
Clear your work surface, wipe clean any crumbs. U can also Dust your work surface with cornflour or icing sugar I prefer crisco(vegetable shortening). Knead fondant icing for a couple of minutes to soften, or pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds.
Start by placing the fondant on the dusted/greased surface, get your rolling pin and roll over the fondant in upward,downward and side by side movement. The cake size you are about to cover will actually determine the size of your icing.
 So using a rolling pin or your hands; drape it over the top of the cake. Smooth the fondant using cake smoothers, pushing out any air bubbles and creases, starting from the top then working down the sides.
Use a small knife to cut offf the excess icing – don’t cut too close to the cake. Save the excess for decoration. Polish using two smoother together for a perfect finish.
Re: Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de by amly6(f): 8:18am On May 23, 2017
please can you teach us how to prepare fondant..i want to prepare one for a small cake
Re: Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de by Nobody: 8:30am On May 23, 2017
Thank you for these lovely tutorials, please how does one make red velvet
Re: Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de by sheycrown(f): 4:47pm On May 23, 2017
thanks a lot op for this free training, God bless you, but i think it would be good if you give us the measurements in grams/kilograms. That way, we can use our scale and master the use of it too. Also, using cups can be confusing, like is it the milk cup, the cup we use at home or a measuring cup.
Re: Naija Free Beginners Online Tutorial On Cake Making/de by Abdulmusawa4(m): 1:59am On Feb 07
Guys just sharing, I've found this interesting! Check it out! https://naijafree24.com

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Tomatoes Taste Sour? / Typical Nigerian Recipe For Christmas Day. / Who Wants Some Pancakes?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.