Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image (6614 Views)

Does God Have A Bodily Form,since He Created Man In His Own Image And Likeness / Did You Create God In Your Own Image? / Pastor 'Delivers' Mad Man In Edo After Years Of Madness (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 6:51pm On Apr 11, 2017
otemanuduno:

And when you met with the ETs, did you communicate with them? If yes, was something implanted in you?
No comment, no longer allowed to share information.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by realmindz: 7:18pm On Apr 11, 2017
Billyonaire:

Ebuka, I believe you and I were birthed with blank memory faculty in order to figure life out ourselves, or so we believe. You, from my observation are a man of fact, facts which has become building bloc to your wisdom. Your wisdom.

In your wisdom lies your truth, your version of what truth is. And you have designed your entire life around this truth. Your version of truth.

What if I tell you that your version of truth, might be different from my version of truth and another Man's version of truth, and by Man I mean both genders.

Your truth is built around this construct that has come to become your ego. And this ego has assumed a life of its own, with its own defense mechanism, a mental military formation that is ready to attack any other version of truth which is against your own truth.

You can see why we call each other names, insult others, fight others and even kill others whose version of truth are different from our version of truth.

Only few of us, ON this planet, have come to understand that truth is relative, and absolute truth exists Only outside of the Ego, when one is ready to put his version of truth aside, and listen to another man's version of truth and find a means to improve his own Truth Construct. Then, comes enlightenment. Sometimes it is difficult to make changes, so it is always wise to dismantle the Ego and its defense and military installation built over our years of indoctrination and induction to improve ourselves and become a greater version of ourselves.

No matter what I say and mean this moment, you will not welcome it, you are just comparing notes and finding faults to criticize, because to every man, their truth is superior. It takes a wise man, to put aside the ego, and evaluate the opinion of others.

This is not the response you expected, but before I go on, it is necessary we understand that we are all saying our truths, our versions. But there is absolute truth, and it is outside of the confines of Time and Space. That is where I go for truth, and sometimes my Ego fights against it, but Truth will not fight to be taken seriously, when our science fails, when we can no longer function because there is this uncertainty in our theories, we will ernestly seek absolute truth.

Until then, you are saying your truth.

Bravo!!! well said...couldn't ve been better said.

btw, KingEbukasBlog attacks anything that contradicts his beliefs, get use to him. Just as you said, his ego has developed an army that annihilate anything that appears as a threat to his world of delusions...he will never wake!

1 Like

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by QuietHammer(m): 7:24pm On Apr 11, 2017
So, Billyonaire, I take it that you do not believe in evolution
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by otemanuduno: 7:25pm On Apr 11, 2017
Billyonaire:
Ok.. Keep on with your good job here. I wish everybody will tap into your kind of awakeness and make our country a better place.
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by sonmvayina(m): 7:45pm On Apr 11, 2017
LordCenturion:

I don't agree with all ur writtens, u got it wrong totally

What did I miss out..I am willing to learn.
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Xsem(m): 8:06pm On Apr 11, 2017
Billyonaire:
I have searched for aliens and all my search proved abortive.So can you help me know how to meditate properly and connect to them.

1 Like

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by princy80(m): 8:20pm On Apr 11, 2017
I just read an interesting piece today.
Halexandria.org/home

1 Like

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by excadz(m): 4:17pm On Apr 14, 2017
Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image

1. Who made this statement?

2. To who was the Statement directed?

3. With our inclination to believe that any intelligent being with intellect superior to us must be God, do you think it is necessary to ascribe Godhood to any entity with superior intellect than ours?

4. Are Humans the only humanoid specie in the Cosmos?

Answers:

(1) The statement was made by those who created the scriptures. The original concept of a mystery god was expanded on by the Levite tribe, who are members of the 12 tribes of Israel. Most of their deep understanding of Life was gained during their captivity is Egypt. Most people who read the Bible, which includes a large portion of the Jewish Torah, don’t notice that it’s a history book that chronicles their plight for survival during the most hostile period of Middle Eastern history.

At some point the Jews had to invent an origin for themselves as distinct people. Therefore, what they did was choose the Land of KUSH as their birthplace. They called that place the Garden of Eden. They describe that lush, beautiful place as the place where god came to Earth to survey his creation. They described how god and his angels never saw anyone in the garden that looked like them so he decided to create/recreate Man in their own image.

The answer to question (2) is that god was talking to his angels.

This is a major flaw in the creation story because if god originally created the Earth and every living thing in it, how could he expect to come and find beings that looked like him and his angels? In reality, the story is an invention of the Levites who wanted to claim a place where Black Africans already lived, as their own.

(3) The creative force behind the universe is Pure Dark Energy; the Great Spirit. It created Elements and Life (Nature) and through Life it created Humans. When humans began to learn to Reason the Great Spirit installed an instinctual inclination back toward itself into human DNA. Spiritual instinct was supposed to comfort us by giving us a sense of purpose but eventually we began to worship the Forces of Nature as the source of our Spirituality.

50,000 years ago we believe that the forces of nature were powerful creatures (gods and daemons) that had the ability to transform themselves into things in the sky like the Sun, the Moon, and the Stars as well as things in their immediate environment such as Fire, Wind, and Rain. We began to believe that good or bad things could happen to us if we didn’t live to please those forces.

25,000 years ago humans were creating Idols for their powerful Spirits to inhabit. They made their Idols the keepers of all their Moral beliefs. They gave offerings of food and valuables as well as to sacrifice animals and even people to their Idols. Humans became consumed with the belief that life and death was dictated by the entities that dwelled in their Idols and would protect those Idols to the death.

6000 years ago when the Levite tribe of the Hebrew clan, first created their Mystery God, they kept important artifacts important to their god in a golden box they called an Ark. When their god came to visit them it was through the Ark. They carried the Ark everywhere they went, even into battle.

In one battle the box got captured their enemy and in another case a servant opened the box to try and see god. The servant had to be put to death because no one was allowed to see god’s face. If god made man in his image, why would he have to hide from his creation?

In short, humans have a natural inclination toward worshiping things we don’t understand. It dispels our fears of the unknown but it can also lead to gullibility and a perpetual ignorance of reality. Seek knowledge, learn and understand Life. It’s the only way to fight our inclination to worship intellectual people and things we don’t yet understand.

(4) Are Humans the only humanoid specie in the Cosmos?

The answer to such a question defies universal awareness. If a select few people know the answer they’re not spilling the beans. Although Truth is objective it is also selective therefore most of us can only assume, theorize, and wish other humanoid being exist.

What we do know is that there are anomalies in history that suggest that either Time is not linear or we have been visited by advanced beings in the past. The most obvious example is the Pyramids in Egypt which no architect or engineer of our time can replicate. They all agree that even if the manpower was amassed, the tools needed to build the pyramids are too complex.

Crop Circles are another phenomenon that would suggest an extra-terrestrial presence however, there is too much skepticism surrounding them to definitively conclude that they are the work of Aliens. What are more convincing are ancient Geoglyphs (figures drawn in the ground that can only be seen from the sky) that are being found all over the world. Their presence suggests that ancient humans were trying to communicate with objects in the sky other than Birds.

Then there is; the golden airplane figurines found in Aztec toumbs, the Baghdad Battery, a forged Hammer imbedded in 200 million year old rock, perfectly round stone balls the size of houses, a mechanical time piece in a 2 thousand year old ship wreck when similar mechanical timing devices weren’t invented till the 18th century, and the massive stone heads of Easter Island.

All these artifacts are strange and out of place which suggests that either advanced civilizations existed in the past or ancient people were influenced by technology that they didn’t create.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 15, 2017
Sarassin:

I am not convinced that a group of entities decided to make man in their own image. I believe that the priests who wrote the Book of Genesis simply tried to provide a rational explanation for the creation of Man according to their own understanding.

The understanding of the writers would have been informed by the prevailing system of belief, which before fully crystallising as Hebrew monotheism was mostly Canaanite and Ugaritic. We know this because Hebrew writings tell us that the worship of other Gods persisted well into the time of Elijah.

For instance, Jacob wrestled the Angel of God and when he had been defeated and obtained the blessing of the Angel, he named the place "Beth-EL", meaning "the place of EL"

We know that in the Ugaritic system of belief which was largely transplanted by the Hebrews, there was a depiction of the venerable God “EL” also described as the “ancient of days”. The most recent discoveries of the Ugaritic clay tablets in modern day Syria give us wonderful accounts of the “heavenly councils” comprised of discourses of the Chief God “EL” and his subordinates or “sons”.

It is this “heavenly council” that is replicated in the Books of Genesis, Deuteronomy and the Book of Psalms from where for instance, we read about the “Divine lawsuit” a veiled account of the accusations against the God Yahweh.

In my view, the fixation with the humanoid form is over-blown, we live in a three-dimensional world, our physical form allow us solidity on this plane of existence and serves no other purpose, it is the most expendable part of our individual cosmology, the un-transmutable part of us, our spirits lives forever.

I think we ve discussed this issue before. The fairhful Jews didn't copy the Canaanites. Making connection between them and what the Ugarit provides is wrong. Firstly, El is not the name of the God of the Hebrews, but Jehovah (YHWH). Ps 83:18

1 Like

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by kkins25(m): 12:45pm On Apr 16, 2017
Billyonaire:

Let me advise you, as a man who has gone through life, with signatures of the similar milestones. Do not ever make the mistakes of making dogma out of lessons you learn.

Do not ever think the knowledge you stumble on are sacrosanct, do not ever 'believe' that you have arrived when certain knowledge gives you goose pimples. The reason is simple; You MUST go from A,BC to D,E,F before getting to XYZ. For if you make a dogma out of E,F,G you deprive yourself of the momentum to approach X,Y,Z.

I have been on this journey for well over 2 decades and I can understand the temptation to give oneself accolades that you have come to the ultimate truth, there lies the mystery of a plus factor. A brand new horizon opens up showing you how folly your perfect wisdom pales in comparism to the archives of knowledge in the cosmos.

Your theory is purely Christian Theology, and I have graduated from Christianity long long ago, but I still find it fascinating that the Old Testament, which actually isnt a Christian text, but a text that Christians compile into the book you now call the Bible to teach you about God, and let me add here that the term God is ambiguous. It is a plural terms so abused and misunderstood. For it is written 'Let US make Man in OUR image'.

It clearly shows that a group of Entities decided to make Man in their IMAGE. Image connotes Physicality in every context of the word and Man as at today, was designed and engineered to look like our Designers.

Those Designers were where we are now, in their evolutionary history and we MUST fulfill our calling as Co-Creators. We must evolve mentally to that point that we create planets and sequence DNAs to keep our gene pool in the cosmos before we physically self-destruct.

I have no time to demote myself into religious construct to win an argument with a myopic Hallelujah boy, but I advise that you do not think you have arrived at your final destination, it will be a shame to think you have known all.

Keep reading. Where you are now, was where I was 10 years ago and where I am now, you may not be in 20yrs to come, but with humility and sincere probing I could give you certain texts to read which will open a brand new understanding of the Earth we walk on.

For some this knowledge will make mad, but for others, they will turn billionaires over night, for they will employ the knowledge gained to harness the energies of the cosmos in their favor.

Peace unto you.
i would like those text.
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by kkins25(m): 12:55pm On Apr 16, 2017
excadz:
Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image

1. Who made this statement?

2. To who was the Statement directed?

3. With our inclination to believe that any intelligent being with intellect superior to us must be God, do you think it is necessary to ascribe Godhood to any entity with superior intellect than ours?

4. Are Humans the only humanoid specie in the Cosmos?

Answers:

(1) The statement was made by those who created the scriptures. The original concept of a mystery god was expanded on by the Levite tribe, who are members of the 12 tribes of Israel. Most of their deep understanding of Life was gained during their captivity is Egypt. Most people who read the Bible, which includes a large portion of the Jewish Torah, don’t notice that it’s a history book that chronicles their plight for survival during the most hostile period of Middle Eastern history.

At some point the Jews had to invent an origin for themselves as distinct people. Therefore, what they did was choose the Land of KUSH as their birthplace. They called that place the Garden of Eden. They describe that lush, beautiful place as the place where god came to Earth to survey his creation. They described how god and his angels never saw anyone in the garden that looked like them so he decided to create/recreate Man in their own image.

The answer to question (2) is that god was talking to his angels.

This is a major flaw in the creation story because if god originally created the Earth and every living thing in it, how could he expect to come and find beings that looked like him and his angels? In reality, the story is an invention of the Levites who wanted to claim a place where Black Africans already lived, as their own.

(3) The creative force behind the universe is Pure Dark Energy; the Great Spirit. It created Elements and Life (Nature) and through Life it created Humans. When humans began to learn to Reason the Great Spirit installed an instinctual inclination back toward itself into human DNA. Spiritual instinct was supposed to comfort us by giving us a sense of purpose but eventually we began to worship the Forces of Nature as the source of our Spirituality.

50,000 years ago we believe that the forces of nature were powerful creatures (gods and daemons) that had the ability to transform themselves into things in the sky like the Sun, the Moon, and the Stars as well as things in their immediate environment such as Fire, Wind, and Rain. We began to believe that good or bad things could happen to us if we didn’t live to please those forces.

25,000 years ago humans were creating Idols for their powerful Spirits to inhabit. They made their Idols the keepers of all their Moral beliefs. They gave offerings of food and valuables as well as to sacrifice animals and even people to their Idols. Humans became consumed with the belief that life and death was dictated by the entities that dwelled in their Idols and would protect those Idols to the death.

6000 years ago when the Levite tribe of the Hebrew clan, first created their Mystery God, they kept important artifacts important to their god in a golden box they called an Ark. When their god came to visit them it was through the Ark. They carried the Ark everywhere they went, even into battle.

In one battle the box got captured their enemy and in another case a servant opened the box to try and see god. The servant had to be put to death because no one was allowed to see god’s face. If god made man in his image, why would he have to hide from his creation?

In short, humans have a natural inclination toward worshiping things we don’t understand. It dispels our fears of the unknown but it can also lead to gullibility and a perpetual ignorance of reality. Seek knowledge, learn and understand Life. It’s the only way to fight our inclination to worship intellectual people and things we don’t yet understand.

(4) Are Humans the only humanoid specie in the Cosmos?

The answer to such a question defies universal awareness. If a select few people know the answer they’re not spilling the beans. Although Truth is objective it is also selective therefore most of us can only assume, theorize, and wish other humanoid being exist.

What we do know is that there are anomalies in history that suggest that either Time is not linear or we have been visited by advanced beings in the past. The most obvious example is the Pyramids in Egypt which no architect or engineer of our time can replicate. They all agree that even if the manpower was amassed, the tools needed to build the pyramids are too complex.

Crop Circles are another phenomenon that would suggest an extra-terrestrial presence however, there is too much skepticism surrounding them to definitively conclude that they are the work of Aliens. What are more convincing are ancient Geoglyphs (figures drawn in the ground that can only be seen from the sky) that are being found all over the world. Their presence suggests that ancient humans were trying to communicate with objects in the sky other than Birds.

Then there is; the golden airplane figurines found in Aztec toumbs, the Baghdad Battery, a forged Hammer imbedded in 200 million year old rock, perfectly round stone balls the size of houses, a mechanical time piece in a 2 thousand year old ship wreck when similar mechanical timing devices weren’t invented till the 18th century, and the massive stone heads of Easter Island.

All these artifacts are strange and out of place which suggests that either advanced civilizations existed in the past or ancient people were influenced by technology that they didn’t create.
this dark energy you speak of, does it have a mind.?
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 17, 2017
JMAN05:

I think we ve discussed this issue before. The fairhful Jews didn't copy the Canaanites. Making connection between them and what the Ugarit provides is wrong. Firstly, El is not the name of the God of the Hebrews, but Jehovah (YHWH). Ps 83:18

Yes we have discussed this before. You were wrong then and you are still wrong now. Hebrew monotheistic belief did not occur in a vaccum as you seem to think.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 1:18pm On Apr 17, 2017
Sarassin:

Yes we have discussed this before. You were wrong then and you are still wrong now. Hebrew monotheistic belief did not occur in a vaccum as you seem to think.

Where did it come from? And why say so?

1 Like

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 5:26pm On Apr 17, 2017
JMAN05:

Where did it come from? And why say so?

Hebrew Monotheistic belief is the product of religious syncretism, the history of the world tells us so. The Hebrews or the “hebiru” before them were a largely nomadic people, they assimilated a lot of the cultural and religious practices around them before they finally conquered the vast lands of Canaan and settled there as Israelites.

They were influenced by the Egyptians, the Babylonians (you need only examine contemporary Hebrew cosmology to illustrate this) as well as the Canaanites. These influences are pervasive in Hebrew writings, for instance we see a distillation of the Egyptian writing “Instructions of Amenemope” in the Hebrew Book of Proverbs, just as we can identify that the majority of the Psalms wrongly attributed to King David are in fact praise songs of Ugaritic origins. The instructions contained in the Book of Leviticus emphasizing ritual, legal and moral practices of the people of Israel are a virtual transplant of the legal codices of ancient Ugaritic practices.

We can define the Israelites as the descendants of Jacob, grandson of Abraham. We know that Abraham came from distant lands and even if we accept that he was a polymath there is no evidence to suggest an acquaintance with a monotheistic deity prior to him showing up in Canaan, therefore it is more likely than not that it is his first encounter with Melchizedek, King of Salem and Chief Priest of the Most High, the venerable “EL” that serves as Abraham’s first introduction to the Canaanite pantheon of deities with EL as supreme deity and his seventy sons of which we are told Yahweh is one.

It is clear that the veneration of El persisted in Israel, we know this because the Hebrew Bible records the prophets of Israel expressing deep frustration with the Israelites over their worship of other gods, i.e Baal, Dagan and Yam e.t.c.

The Israelites raised many places of worship to El and many other Canaanite deities many of which survive as name places even today in modern Israel.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 7:06pm On Apr 18, 2017
Sarassin:

Hebrew Monotheistic belief is the product of religious syncretism, the history of the world tells us so. The Hebrews or the “hebiru” before them were a largely nomadic people, they assimilated a lot of the cultural and religious practices around them before they finally conquered the vast lands of Canaan and settled there as Israelites.

They were influenced by the Egyptians, the Babylonians (you need only examine contemporary Hebrew cosmology to illustrate this) as well as the Canaanites. These influences are pervasive in Hebrew writings, for instance we see a distillation of the Egyptian writing “Instructions of Amenemope” in the Hebrew Book of Proverbs, just as we can identify that the majority of the Psalms wrongly attributed to King David are in fact praise songs of Ugaritic origins. The instructions contained in the Book of Leviticus emphasizing ritual, legal and moral practices of the people of Israel are a virtual transplant of the legal codices of ancient Ugaritic practices.

We can define the Israelites as the descendants of Jacob, grandson of Abraham. We know that Abraham came from distant lands and even if we accept that he was a polymath there is no evidence to suggest an acquaintance with a monotheistic deity prior to him showing up in Canaan, therefore it is more likely than not that it is his first encounter with Melchizedek, King of Salem and Chief Priest of the Most High, the venerable “EL” that serves as Abraham’s first introduction to the Canaanite pantheon of deities with EL as supreme deity and his seventy sons of which we are told Yahweh is one.

It is clear that the veneration of El persisted in Israel, we know this because the Hebrew Bible records the prophets of Israel expressing deep frustration with the Israelites over their worship of other gods, i.e Baal, Dagan and Yam e.t.c.

The Israelites raised many places of worship to El and many other Canaanite deities many of which survive as name places even today in modern Israel.

It would be fine to have another thread for this. What do u think?

1 Like

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by MuttleyLaff: 8:25pm On Apr 18, 2017
Sarassin:

We can define the Israelites as the descendants of Jacob, grandson of Abraham.

We know that Abraham came from distant lands and even if we accept that he was a polymath there is no evidence to suggest an acquaintance with a monotheistic deity prior to him showing up in Canaan, therefore it is more likely than not that it is his first encounter with Melchizedek, King of Salem and Chief Priest of the Most High, the venerable “EL” that serves as Abraham’s first introduction to the Canaanite pantheon of deities with EL as supreme deity and his seventy sons of which we are told Yahweh is one.

This us a forceful conflation of chaotic jumbled ideas & ill-informed opinions
It is so full of holes that anyone who knows the facts can see right through each of the many howlers.

JMAN05:
Why would it be fine to have another thread for this?
You mean it would be fine, so he can have the ticket & free hand to continue with the posturing?
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 7:25am On Apr 19, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
It is so full of holes that anyone who knows the facts can see right through each of the many howlers.

Why would it be fine to have another thread for this?
You mean it would be fine, so he can have the ticket & free hand to continue with the posturing?

I know him to be good in research, but we often have a wrong conclusion to our research efforts. It might be a boon if you can join in the proposed new thread to hash out the subject.

Even if we do not agree, we can learn something.

1 Like

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by MuttleyLaff: 12:31pm On Apr 19, 2017
JMAN05:
I know him to be good in research, but we often have a wrong conclusion to our research efforts
We often have a wrong conclusion to our research efforts because motives for the searching and research differ

JMAN05:
It might be a boon if you can join in the proposed new thread to hash out the subject
I have no problem in doing that

JMAN05:
Even if we do not agree, we can learn something
If learning is a recipe, then knowledge is the cake.
What use is having the recipe if not going to make good cake of it
We can at least agree that learning ''something'' from the ''proposed new thread'' is irrelevant if no real knowledge is acquired.
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 7:57pm On Apr 19, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
We often have a wrong conclusion to our research efforts because motives for the searching and research differ

If learning is a recipe, then knowledge is the cake.
What use is having the recipe if not going to make good cake of it
We can at least agree that learning ''something'' from the ''proposed new thread'' is irrelevant if no real knowledge is acquired.

It depends on how you view it. I have my way of learning from a discussion. It may not be directly from him, but from the research I would make to disprove his point. For eg, the first time I had that discussion with him, I didn't know about amenemope. That discussion made me make research about it, and see why his conclusion on it isn't OK. So I learned something although we didn't agree.

However, giving another person a chance to air his views is advantageous because you do not know who eventually is in the wrong. No matter how sure we are of our stand, it could be that there is another side of the coin we ve not known, after all, the other person is still sure of his side. I believe if we are open minded, we ll see that its just fair to give the other person a chance.

Even in worldly court, you can't convict a person without giving him chance to defend himself.

1 Like

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by MuttleyLaff: 8:51pm On Apr 19, 2017
JMAN05:
It depends on how you view it. I have my way of learning from a discussion. It may not be directly from him, but from the research I would make to disprove his point. For eg, the first time I had that discussion with him, I didn't know about amenemope. That discussion made me make research about it, and see why his conclusion on it isn't OK. So I learned something although we didn't agree.

However, giving another person a chance to air his views is advantageous because you do not know who eventually is in the wrong. No matter how sure we are of our stand, it could be that there is another side of the coin we ve not known, after all, the other person is still sure of his side. I believe if we are open minded, we ll see that its just fair to give the other person a chance.

Even in worldly court, you can't convict a person without giving him chance to defend himself.
I've said I have no problem in doing that (i.e. joining the discussion)

1 Like

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 5:10am On Apr 20, 2017
Another question should be,who was there when the statement was made?(come let's make man in our own image,how did the bible writer know that such discussion took place in the first place?
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by kkins25(m): 9:09am On Apr 20, 2017
euromilion:
Another question should be,who was there when the statement was made?(come let's make man in our own image,how did the bible writer know that such discussion took place in the first place?

thats a whole new issue on its own. well someone might say it was a revelation from God, others would tell you it doesn't matter. humans have a way of avoiding religious text with no comprehensible logic. as a Christian i hav questioned the tale of some beliefs but at the end im stuck with faith.

2 Likes

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 20, 2017
JMAN05:

Yes, why not?
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 3:57pm On Apr 20, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

No forceful conflation here my good man. And rather than take pot-shots why don't you state your own case and show me the error of my ways?

1 Like

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 4:32pm On Apr 20, 2017
euromilion:

I don't believe that the author(s) were trying to communicate the impression that that statement "let us make man in our own image" was dictated to them by the gods, or that the statement was witnessed. It would be quite sad if the gods had any semblance to our quite inefficient physical forms. Rather, the statement is an allegorical rhetorical device employed by the authors to provide an answer to the state of Man according to their own worldview. In my opinion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by MuttleyLaff: 5:33pm On Apr 20, 2017
JMAN05:

MuttleyLaff:

Sarassin:
Yes, why not?

Sarassin:
No forceful conflation here my good man
No need for denials, claims and counterclaims my dear longest time friend

Sarassin:
And rather than take pot-shots why don't you state your own case and show me the error of my ways?
Aye, aye, trust me, I will, I will dispel your myths (i.e. the errors of your way) when I meet you there
Wouldnt miss the opportunity for another occasion to do just that
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 6:04pm On Apr 20, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

...... when I meet you there Wouldnt miss the opportunity for another occasion to do just that

wink Still away with the fairies then eh? somebody give me a shout when the thread is up and let's get to it.
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by MuttleyLaff: 6:45pm On Apr 20, 2017
euromilion:
Another question should be, who was there when the statement was made?
(come let's make man in our own image)
how did the bible writer know that such discussion took place in the first place?

Sarassin:
I don't believe that the author(s) were trying to communicate the impression that that statement "let us make man in our own image" was dictated to them by the gods, or that the statement was witnessed.
It would be quite sad if the gods had any semblance to our quite inefficient physical forms.
Rather, the statement is an allegorical rhetorical device employed by the authors to provide an answer to the state of Man according to their own worldview. In my opinion.
"let us make man in our own image" indeed is rhetorical statement devoid of allegory

@euromilion, What telling observations and very good questions to ask

The Godhood, at least was there when that statement was made

The bible writer knew that such discussion took place in the first place because it was revealed (i.e. shown) to the author

1 Like

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by MuttleyLaff: 6:49pm On Apr 20, 2017
Sarassin:
wink Still away with the fairies then eh?
That's right up your alley, not mine

Sarassin:
somebody give me a shout when the thread is up and let's get to it.
Yeah, lets go right there
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 8:44pm On Apr 20, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

"let us make man in our own image" indeed is rhetorical statement devoid of allegory

@euromilion, What telling observations and very good questions to ask

The Godhood, at least was there when that statement was made

The bible writer knew that such discussion took place in the first place because it was revealed (i.e. shown) to the author

The problem is that with the exception of the helmet-headed fundamentalists, most biblical scholars are unanimous in their agreement that the Genesis monologue of creation is allegorical in nature as opposed to literal. I agree with this view also.

You cannot therefore take verse 26, out of context and ascribe a literal meaning to it out of consonance. I think you can see what I am driving at, either the entire shebang is literal, in which case God hung up the stars and the moon or it is allegorical.

And what exactly is the Godhood? And where does the author of Genesis state that he obtained disclosure in the form of a revelation from God? Finally, which God?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by Nobody: 10:18pm On Apr 20, 2017
Sarassin:

The problem is that with the exception of the helmet-headed fundamentalists, most biblical scholars are unanimous in their agreement that the Genesis monologue of creation is allegorical in nature as opposed to literal. I agree with this view also.

You cannot therefore take verse 26, out of context and ascribe a literal meaning to it out of consonance. I think you can see what I am driving at, either the entire shebang is literal, in which case God hung up the stars and the moon or it is allegorical.

And what exactly is the Godhood? And where does the author of Genesis state that he obtained disclosure in the form of a revelation from God? Finally, which God?

The thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3753404/hebrew-monotheistic-belief-product-religious
Re: Let US Make Man In OUR Own Image by MuttleyLaff: 10:14am On Apr 21, 2017
Sarassin:
The problem is that with the exception of the helmet-headed fundamentalists, most biblical scholars are unanimous in their agreement that the Genesis monologue of creation is allegorical in nature as opposed to literal. I agree with this view also
Reiterating "let us make man in our own image" indeed is a rhetorical statement
and the Genesis monologue of creation is literal in its narrative as opposed to being allegorical.

Events, subsequent to creation in that Genesis monologue narrative however, are part literal and part allegorical
Figurative language using euphemism, personification etcetera were partly used to talk about certain things that happened or that took place after creation

Sarassin:
You cannot therefore take verse 26, out of context and ascribe a literal meaning to it out of consonance.
Genesis 1:26 is literal

Sarassin:
I think you can see what I am driving at, either the entire shebang is literal, in which case God hung up the stars and the moon or it is allegorical.
Pardon me for steering you on to the Job 26:7 driveway, where you'll find God hangs the earth on nothing, literally.
Now tell, are you saying, it is impossible or even improbable for God to literally hang up the stars and the moon?

Sarassin:
And what exactly is the Godhood?
This is like asking what exactly is the neighbourhood?
Maybe you wouldnt have asked exactly what Godhood is, if I had said the Godhead, which incidentally was my first word choice and not Godhood

Sarassin:
And where does the author of Genesis state that he obtained disclosure in the form of a revelation from God?
Ah-ha, the $64,000 question.
Its found against the backdrop and in the obscurity of Exodus 33:11-23 but the revealing when, where and how place, actually is, at Exodus 33:23

Sarassin:
Finally, which God?
I AM
- also known as YHWH or Yahweh or Jehovah or capital LORD in the Bibles to friend and foe alike

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Young Boy In Iran Got Caught Stealing Bread In A Market, See The Punishment!!! / Reasons Why Yoruba Religion(aborisa) Is Evil / Spiritual Attack Is Real. How To Protect Yourself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.